From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1880
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2004 11:53 AM

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "Richard T. Herrick, MD" <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

From: "Robert O. Greenhaw" <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: looking to buy........maybe!
From: "ccssinc_net" <johnb_at_dml_ccssinc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:22:32 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Cutting keys at the show?

What's wrong with the local locksmith?

I had two keys cut at different locations with no problems.

Mark

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:18:50 -0500
From: "Richard T. Herrick, MD" <docrth_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Mechanics in Central Florida

What about Delorean mechanics in the Tampa/St Pete area?
Dick Herrick
docrth_at_dml_verizon.net

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:46:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The battle:Frame rust

POR-15

http://www.por15.com/

<SNIP>

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:47:35 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: stuck driver side door

I've had a simular problem with my passenger side door, after I
replaced the handle when
it broke.

First thing you need to do is check, and see if it's the lock that's
jammed. Insert the key
into the lock, and turn it to unlock it. If it snaps back right away,
then you'll know that it's
the lock that jammed. Fixing it is rather simple, and more than
likey, the cause is that the
cable connecting the outer door handle to the bellcrank is somehow
stuck.

First thing is to slide across the center console, and into the
drivers seat. It's not that
difficult. I'm not a small person, and I can do it while wearing
workboots. Next, roll down
the window, and pull off the upper door panel.

Once the door panel is off, check the movement of the door lock
linkage. I have found that
there can be a problem with the outer door lock cable. If you tugg on
the cable accidently, you can actually pull the sheath out, and it
will get caught on the
lip of the coupling that's mounted on the door. This will preload the
cable, and it will not
let the bellcrank fully  retract. You can lock the door at this
point, but it will cause the
front latch to jam when you try to unlock it. A simular problem can
arise if the cable gets
caught on the inside of the sheath. Which my car being one from the
desert had a problem
with, due to dust getting anywhere, and everywhere in my car.

>From what I've seen, it's somewhat of a rare condition, but one that
can arise. And was
acknowleged by DMC Joe quite sometime ago. Although his remedy of
disconnecting the
front door lock, and letting it latch only to avoid this issue is a
bit of an overkill, and
unessisary step.

If you need to lubricate the doorlocks, cable, bellcrank, and
connecting rods, I'd seriously
reccomend the Spray-on White Lithium Grease that's available from
your local auto parts
store. It sprays out as a liquid, and foams up into a thick grease.
After greasing up my
door with the stuff, the difference is like night and day. I used to
have to slam the door,
and it would make a loud "CLUNK" sound. Now I can gently glide it
down with my
fingertips, and it makes a quiet "thud" as it closes. I have to
listen carefully to hear it
latching.

Anywho, start there with checking the bellcrank, and make sure that
it's not jammed. That
would be the first place I would start before even touching, or
especially adjusting any of
those connecting rods.

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:07:48 -0600
From: "Robert O. Greenhaw" <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Mechanics Alabama?

Yeah, I need one around Huntsville/Decatur (The general North
Alabama region actually)

Thanks a TON,
Robert Greenhaw

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:10:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: My first drive in my Delorean

For the abrupt (hard) shifts make sure the vacuum modulator is hooked
up and the hoses are not leaking. You may need a line pressure
adjustment or this could be a sign of a failing shift computer or a
bad modulator. Also check the trans fluid level as per the manual. For
the speedo the venders sell a decal and you can have the speedo
recalibrated by them or done locally. They also sell speedos already
done. Pick a vender and call for more info on the speedo. If you don't
have any manuals with the car order a set and 2 oil filters and a
drain adapter. Go to dmcnews.com and register on the DoD. Check all
the fluid levels, flush the brakes, and check the tire pressures.

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:10:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

DeLorean Motor Center sells a 160 MPH speedo, and I believe it's DeLorean Motor Company that sells the 170 MPH version that my car has. The only problem I have with these units is that they're somewhat hard to read since they have to scrunch a larger amount of numbers into the same space. Even at 60 MPH you're actually only using about 1/3 of the entire gague space. Maybe I'm just picky though!

Regarding your speedometer problem, your angle drive may be going out. Does the needle on the speedo bounce, or do anything else odd? Your angle drive may just need a good lubrication. Trace your speedometer cable into the drivers front wheel well, and you'll find it. Try lubricating the angle drive before chunking down the money for a new unit. Around here the folks seem to think it's a good rule to service the angle drive every time you change your oil.

It sounds like you may also need your governor rebuilt on your auto tranny. Like the angle drives, they're one of the well known, but fixable weak points of the cars. Since you're in the bay area, you might consider having the car looked over by one of the experts in your area. I know Stanford Lincoln-Mercury in Menlo Park was an original dealer, and they work on the cars to this day. If you're not especially mechanically inclined, they will be able to fix your current problem areas, and alert you to any other possible situations. Even if you are good at working on cars it's always good to have someone who knows DeLoreans look your car over, and make suggestions. These cars do have several weak points, but are easily remedied. They're sure easier and cheaper to fix before there's a problem then afterwards. Good luck with your new baby, and welcome to the fold!

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:12:03 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I heard any part that has rust on it needs to be completely cut away.
Rust is like cancer, if it isn't completely removed it will come back.

Mark

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:18:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: 4.3L V6 conversions

Hi group!

It seems like a few months back some people were talking about setting up a business doing 4.3 liter chevy v6 conversions for the DeLorean. I remember who evers idea it was came up with preliminary pricing and everything. I'd really like to do an engine conversion eventually on my car, but I'm no mechanic. I was just curious as to what has happened to this idea. Maybe it's something Rich W's new company could do on the side, seing as he's got just about more experience than anyone customizing DeLoreans. On a side note I think it's incredible over 22 years after the demise of DMC that new companies are still starting up every year to cater to the hobby. Long live the DeLorean! :-)

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:33:44 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

Rob, Jordan, Micheal and other Florida DMC people
I live in Celebration, near Orlando/Disney. It would be great to
have a get together in Orlando in April and I would be happy to make
the arrangements.
Who is interested?
Jeff Ippoliti
20022

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:41:35 -0000
From: "ccssinc_net" <johnb_at_dml_ccssinc.com>
Subject: Re: looking to buy........maybe!

Have 83 5 speed about 3500 miles. I just take it to shows. Get in
and drive it anywhere. Price 35,000.00
Link to some photos
http://www.europartsinc.com/catalog/gallery.php?file=dmc.htm

The 300sl not for sale.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_p...> wrote:

> If I do sell, who has the best car for sale, for the best price? (
in North America, please) I want an upgraded daily driver that looks
like a trailer queen. No cracked dashes, leakers, split binnicles,
ripped seats, in need of electrical work, broken window motors, non
functioning door solenoids, lousy relays, dirty & unkept cars,
etc.,  need apply!