From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1881
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2004 4:24 PM

1. Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

2. Subject: Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

3. Engine conversions
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: Re: looking to buy........maybe!
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

5. Re: The battle:Frame rust
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

6. Re: Cutting keys at the show?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

7. Steering wheel adjustment
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

8. RE: Replacement Automatic Antenna for the DeLorean
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

9. top speed...?
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

10. Speedo Faces & Re-calibration -- (was: Re: My first drive in my Delorean)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: An Source of Disinformation
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

12. Re: The battle:Frame rust
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Car on Ebay
From: "odessabound" <donnyt_at_dml_operamail.com>

14. Re: The battle:Frame rust
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

15. Re: 4.3L V6 conversions
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

16. Engine conversions
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: The battle:Frame rust
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

18. Re: may want to buy....
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

19. Re: Cutting keys at the show?
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

20. Re: Steering wheel adjustment
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Re: Re: The battle:Frame rust
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: My first drive in my Delorean
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

23. Re: The battle:Frame rust
From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

24. Re: 4.3L V6 conversions
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

25. Re: Engine conversions
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:39:58 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?

Two words: "PASSPORT SRX"     http://www.cnmw.com/srx.htm

These are expensive, but I have not been pulled over since I got
mine...my high-profile car was the target of frequent law-enforcement
scrutiny.  The website says that you must get it installed by
a dealer, but they are readily available at about half-price on eBay.

By the way, one of the simplest ways to verify your speedometer
calibration is to use the little mile-marker signs on the interstate
highways.

Hold your speed steady at 60MPH, then start a timer or stopwatch as you
pass a mile-marker.  It should take you exactly 60 seconds to reach the
next
one.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN #4695

P.S.  I can confirm that APD is now using laser for speed measurement...

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:33:38 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Subject: Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?

{MODERATOR NOTE - END IF THREAD - ANSWERS Off-line}

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Dmc3360_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Before this thread starts to go off topic as it always does when it
comes up once a year with cop stories and "Cop Ego is probably the #1
problem" remarks as Andy stated, let me say as a law enforcement
officer that the DeLorean is no different than any other car.  I have
had mine targeted quite accurately on every type of radar including
laser.  Radar reads objects and there are factors but the unless you
are on a bicycle on the highway it isnt releveant.  I think there are
many posts in the archives about this.  Also I know there are quite a
few law enforcement officers on this list that have talked about this
topic in the past.  Again I am sure the moderators will kill the
thread before we digress into a "When I got pulled over thread....",
or more "Cop ego" remarks.

> Gary

<SNIP>

I've got to disagree here a bit. Factors about radar, such as how they
are more apt to pick up data from larger vehicles are pretty relevant.
And when not just a fellow DML member, but a fellow driver on the
highway needs information such as this for their own personal needs,
such as fighting a traffic ticket in court, I feel that this is a
healthy, and nessisary discussion. Not just for the person in need,
but for everyone else here as well, in case something like this were
to happen to them. You said previously, "Radar reads objects and there
are factors but the unless you are on a bicycle on the highway it isnt
releveant." I'm sorry , but saying in essence that there may be a data
here to help you, but since it might not apply, don't pursue it and
give up, is a totally wrong attitude. If knwolege is power, then in
this day and age, we all need to arm ourselves as much as possible.
Factors such as larger objects can be tagged easier than you, and give
back false readings about your car is pretty relevant. Especially when
the tires on tractor-trailer rigs are only a few inches higher than
our vehicles.

Also, I don't feel that anything here has been one sided, or negative
against police officers, in the discussion that we've had here on the
list. When two cars speed down the street, I aways notice the sports
car first. However, as someone who has been issued moving citations
both rightfully, and wrongfully, I can say this. While a peace officer
is a trusted civil servant, they are only humans just like the rest of
us. Subject to the same faults, and predjudices as the rest of us. I
realize that there are a few people here on the list that are involved
in the law enforcement community, so I realize that they are people
too that are just simply doing their jobs. So in all fairness, I'd
like to ask a question as well: As a peace officer, have you or anyone
else ever thought of the impact that issuing a ticket has? 3 years of
increased rates, and the barrring from being able to obtain a job that
requires driving duties is quite a severe price to pay for a simple
speeding infraction that doesn't involve a collision?

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:52:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine conversions

If all goes well with my conversion (Chrysler 3.5L), I
plan on making the custom parts available to others...
 Depending on my employment status when it is done, I
would be willing to install it for you!

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:00:51 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Re: looking to buy........maybe!

How about a Concours DeLorean with only 170 miles for $28,000?

http://www.deloreancarshow.com/concours.html

Gary
IN2TIME.com

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:05:16 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: The battle:Frame rust

Should I bother trying to sand-blast?-or just go ahead and cut all the
rust away...? See also my problem is that since the frame is designed
with hollow sections inside of each rail-such as on the double "Y"
parts, it is impossible to see what is going on inside. I will never
know where the rust is forming unless its on the outside of the rail.

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:14:22 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cutting keys at the show?

I have a key cutting machine that I can bring

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:21:15 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Steering wheel adjustment

How do I adjust the height of the steering wheel.  At the moment it is so
low that the top of the steering wheel blocks my sight of the top half of
the speedometer.

Roland Smith
Oakland, California

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:51:54 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Replacement Automatic Antenna for the DeLorean

Has anyone tried this replacement antenna?

http://www.teptronics.com/ln46.html

Gary

IN2TIME.com

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:56:40 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: top speed...?

I was just wondering what is the top speed you have had your cars up to? on
a run up from Tucson to the bay area I did a stretch of about 100 miles at
126 to 128 MPH (checked the conversion of RPM to MPH when I got home)...
fifth gear pedal to the floor... handled wonderfully... gotta love Valentine
One...

Darkstar

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:51:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Speedo Faces & Re-calibration -- (was: Re: My first drive in my Delorean)

(subject changed for better archive searching)

Roland,

Besides DMCH & Garden Grove DMC for more speedo face options check out:
http://www.deloreanautomotive.com/load/products/el-glo/
For about $20 extra dollars you can design a custom face & Ryan can have Speedhut
make it. (small warning: Speedhut might change your design without notification)

For speedo calibration see:
http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/bobs/
They have a shop in Michigan and Napa, California (closer to you). PJ Grady's
also has a contanct that can re-calibrate the speedo.

For reiteration purposes if you go with a 140 face the settings for
re-calibrations are: "1000 RPM speedo cable input speed equals 60 MPH on the
speedo face needle."

Also, the DMC speedo is magnet driven not gear driven.
If you check the recent archives you will find more speedo info. Check mid to end
of 2003.

Shannon Y
16506

---------------
---------------
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:32:05 -0800
   From: "Roland Smith"
Subject: My first drive in my Delorean

>>snip<<

Since, the speedometer will have to have service, I am wondering weather
their is another face available showing more than 85mph and accompanying
gears for a recalibration?

Please advise.

Roland Smith
6667
Oakland, California

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:36:20 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: An Source of Disinformation

I just received an article from the September 1998 issue of Car Magazine that is printed in Europe. (Pages 144 and 145.) I purchased this old article because it covered both the Delorean and the AMC Paceer

>The article was titled  "On a Gullwing and a prayer." (Edited by Jason Barlow)
>

>What suprized me about the article was the following very misleading information.
>
> HERE IS THE QUOTE
>
> "As it (DMC) hovers close to bankruptcy, the government calls in
>
>the  receiver who is optimistic about salvaging it.  Until, that is,
>the lead character (JZD) is implicated in a $5 million dollar cocaine deal.
>In prison, he (JZD) turns to God."

TALK ABOUT THE VICTORS WRITING THEIR OWN HISTORY. HERE IT IS!!

BOB

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:26:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

POR-15 is a good product. It is meant to stop the rust from getting
worse. IMHO it is a good DIY (do it yourself) product. A professional
wouldn't use it. The "best" way is to cut out the rusty metal and
replace it with fresh, full thickness materiel. If it is only surface
rust then you mechanically remove the rust, prepare the surface with
phosphoric acid (metal prep), prime, and paint. Do not try to paint
over rust except with a product like POR-15, anything else will just
fall off soon after as you have seen. For the Delorean frame the
paint, an epoxy, gets brittle with age and cracks. The water gets
through the cracks to the steel and gets between the epoxy and the
metal and is held there rotting the metal. You must remove any loose
epoxy that is no longer bonded to the metal. Remove the epoxy back to
clean metal and then feather-sand the edges smooth. Do your metal
repair and prep. To finish use Krylon Smoke Grey spray paint. It is an
almost perfect color match. It isn't epoxy but if you have properly
prepared the metal it will last a long time. I like Eastwood's Self
Etching spray primer. Once it goes on it is really tough and the
Krylon will go on smoothly over it.

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:39:51 -0000
From: "odessabound" <donnyt_at_dml_operamail.com>
Subject: Car on Ebay

Hello,

There is a car on Ebay, auction number 2461054050. I'm located near
this car and can inspect it for anyone if they're interested. Though
not publicly active in the Delorean community I know these cars well
as I do all levels of maintenance on them for a few select owners.
Contact me if you're interested in my looking at this car. I have no
affiliation with the seller and there will be no fee for the
inspection.

Donny

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:34:48 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration when you
are refurbishing your Delorean frame including driving climate
(dry, temperate, snowy/salty winter roads, etc.), how often you
plan on driving the car, where you park and/or store the car,
money you have to spend and the type of finish you want on it.
Body on or body off refurbishing will also make a difference.

Delorean Welding Center prefers to paint (coat) all bare steel
on the frame with POR15, in either black or gray.  Since POR15
is not UV stable, it's best to paint over the POR15 treatment
with a good quality paint.  DWC will also powder coat or custom
paint refurbished frames and suspension parts (made to order)
and all finishes have had great results in all climates.

Keep in mind that prepping the surface correctly will yield the
best results, with whatever product you choose to use.  Even
POR15 can be applied wrong, yielding poor performance results,
so make sure everything you refurbish is cleaned very well.

Body off frame refurbishing allows you to get to almost all
the frame surfaces, except some boxed in sections and this
allows you to do a complete job on the entire frame all at once.
This is not always an option, so do what you can, when you can.

If you need other specific recommendations for you refurbishing,
feel free to contact me off-list.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> It seems no matter how many times I fix my frame-the area I fix
will
> start to rust again in no time. I've used numerous primers, paints,
> rust converters (which are a joke), undercoatings, I've even seen
> spray epoxy but have not yet tried that stuff (I guess how it
failed
> initially on the DeLorean frame keeps me from trying it). Does
anybody
> know the best way to preserve the bare metal and keep it from
rusting
> for a legnth of years instead of a legnth of weeks? Perhaps the
DWC can

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:00:00 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: 4.3L V6 conversions

Not sure where the 4.3L V6 conversion topic started or if there
is a shop planning to do them, but DWC can do them as well.

Delorean Welding Center (DWC) is teamed up with Evil Custom shop,
which can do Delorean engine conversions upon request.  There
are two Delorean engine conversions that are in the works now,
but neither of these two is a 4.3L V6.

If there is enough interest, DWC will pursue the 4.3L V6 engine
conversion with a specific year range of donor model engines, to
make it easier to reproduce the same results in multiple cars
and recoup the development costs over the first few examples.

I hope to have my Grand National powered 3.8L Turbo V6 engine
conversion Delorean at Pigeon Forge.  This conversion does have
custom mounts that were fabricated by the DWC workers although
the initial conversion was reworked by Dave Swingle and myself.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Hi group!
>
> It seems like a few months back some people were talking about
setting up a business doing 4.3 liter chevy v6 conversions for the
DeLorean. I remember who evers idea it was came up with preliminary
pricing and everything. I'd really like to do an engine conversion
eventually on my car, but I'm no mechanic. I was just curious as to

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:33:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

There are 2 conversions that you are working on?  What
are they?

<SNIP>

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:36:26 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Your best bet is to remove and replace anything with rust.  You should
also be careful about the material you use for a patch.  For example,
you should select the correct thickness and grade of metal.  You may
want to look at galvanized replacement panels as well.

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:06:06 -0500
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Re: may want to buy....

To: john_at_dml_ccssinc.com who offered me his car for $35,000.00:

Thanks for the consideration. Your low mile car looks great. I hope some
interest may be generated for someone else to buy your car, when they see
your pictures. The price is out of my league ----  that's over $50,000
Canadian dollars.

Several people asked me why would I sell my car if it's a great driver?
Maybe I won't!

My answer is that nothing is "forever" with respect to owning a car. It is
similar to a masochistic love affair. The old one was great, needed work,
tough to let go and so we spend money after money after money  and we are
still in love with it ..... but perhaps there are new challenges out there.
Sometimes, it's too predictable! Never a problem, always dependable. Some
guys like that!

Then comes the preliminary meeting, maybe by chance, the glances, looking it
over. A new target has come into view! That revolves to the "touch me, try
me, use me, but don't abuse me", period. After feeling more comfortable, and
falling in love with the car----we are talking about a car----, you reach
the "I need things" period. This is where the love affair can falter or
thrive. Like a high maintenance mistress, it's easy to get aggravated and
want to call off the whole affair. If she, ....er... the car .....performs
to your satisfaction, and has the looks, then the affair continues until
that new sultry beast, better equipped, with huge tires, and lower mileage,
catches your eye!

Hey, maybe it's time, after 16 years, to try something different ----- what
about a cherry '66 T-Bird convertible?

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:26:30 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

I only have one of each key (two key car) and want to get two new
origionals cut by code. Did your local locksmith cut them by code?
Not to mention I would rather support the Delorean community when
possible.
Stephen
Vin 3601

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:45:50 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel adjustment

If you have your owners manual, read it.  If not, go here and click
on the Owner's Handbook.  www.dmcnews.com/files.html

Johnny
5518

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:09:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: The battle:Frame rust

Eastwood - the auto restoration supply company - has
its' own product called, I believe, Encapsulate, which
is said to outperform even POR 15.

Dick Ryan

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:19:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: My first drive in my Delorean

Roland,

Welcome to the family. I work in San Bruno and wasn't aware of one for
sale in the area. Congratulations on the buy.

I won't be of much help with the automatic transmission... but I'm sure
others will.

The spedometer however, is a battle I've fought, and often. You might
simply have the wrong lower spedo cable on the car (runs from the front
left wheel, into the car, and connects to a box in the driver's footwell).
There are both 160 and 170 mph replacements available. I have the 160 in
mine. You can get these from any of the DeLorean vendors.

If you're going to be in San Bruno with the car again any time soon, let
me know and I'll have a look at it for you.

Also, check out the NCDMC: www.ncdmc.org

-Christian

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:26:38 -0000
From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

hi rust in metal is somthing that should be easily got rid of,IF YOU
UNDERSTAND IT.
imagine you have a flat piece of bare steel and you sand blast it
(which is the best method to give your water proof coat a good key
to prevent the rust}you then spray it with a zinc primer{the next
best thing to galvanising d.i.y}but after youv sprayed the metal
with the zinc primer you have left a thin patch in the middle or
where ever,then you just goe ahead and coat the now zinc primed
metal with the best coating you can find on the market eventuly the
patch under neath that had a thin layer of ZINC primer aplied will
rust around 5 times quicker than if you aplied a cheap coat of
normal primer without zinc.The reason for this is because of the way
the electrons move in the steel a zinc coating actuly changes it,
this is why it works so well when aplied correctly, evenly on a
panel all the way round,but aplied badly you actully make things so
much worse.

so check to see if the delorean frame had a zinc coating at the
factory

if not dont use any thing with zinc in it the best primer to use
here is ETCH PRIMER.

if it does you HAVE to apply a zinc primer first, if you dont your
recently repaired section will just eventuly rust again in wet and
especaily salty roads.

if you have actual rot in the steel you need to cut it out if its
just surface the best and easyest way to rid it is defanatly to spot
blast it,it removes everything and returns it to the original
sandblasted texture from the delorean factory for the best key.

A wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder is a NO NO IT COOKS THE
RUST LEAVING YOU WITH BLACK PITTED RUST this is dormant rust that
will eventuly come back garanteed its also difficult to SEE

AFTER ALL THIS USE A GOOD QUALITY TOP COAT OF ANY COLOUR YOU WANT.if
you are going to use your d in wet salty conditions then apply a wax
coating underneath,they normally have rust preventatives in too.

thanks wes

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:46:44 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

Or you can buy Darryl Tinnerstet's DeLorean which has a 4.3
Supercharged Chevy and beefed up tranny for a more than reasonable
$22.5k.

Details and pics can be found at
http://www.deloreanperformance.com/darryl.htm

FYI
Dave Jacobs

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:44:14 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Engine conversions

I should have said two types, since there are actually three
conversions that are in the early prototype stages.  Since I
hope to debut the specifics at Pigeon Forge, the details here
will be intentionally made a little vague.  Barring winning
the lottery, I will not have these two conversion types ready
for Pigeon Forge, but one may appear as a work in progress.

The first type is a very large displacement, front engine
conversion that will utilize a dry sump oil delivery system.

The second type is a large displacement, rear engine setup
that will utilize a Porsche transmission.

Neither conversion type will use a stock Delorean frame or
a stock fiberglass underbody.

If progress goes well, there should be a "spy photo" or two
that may appear in the Delorean publications prior to the
show in Pigeon Forge.  And no, Ken K. is not making me hold
back information just to get a huge crowd at Pigeon Forge.

The mid winter thaw is happening right now in the Chicago
area, so it's time to kick the projects into high gear.