From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1887
Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 11:39 AM

1. Pics of my homemade DMC Dealer sign...
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

2. Re: Manual Transmission Leaking
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Permanate addition to engine block; where to tap a new hole?
From: Mike M <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>

4. Re: Manual Transmission Leaking
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

5. Famous TV/Movie Car Poll
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Manual Transmission Leaking
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: Permanate addition to engine block; where to tap a new hole?
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

8. Max. allowed weight etc.
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

9. manual gearbox
From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:47:42 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Pics of my homemade DMC Dealer sign...

Hi Lads,
Finally got some pics of the DMC sign taken...

I've put them in the photos section, under DMC sign.

click on :

Then click on DMC sign.

Let me know what you think!

Just to let you know, this is only the Perspex front to the sign - I
still have to build a box to hold this in, and then mount flourescent
tubes behind the panel to backlight it, but the pics should give a
good idea of what the finished product will look like - the DeLorean
Motor Cars writing, and the outline of the DMC letters will light up,
and the inside of the DMC letters is chrome.

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:37:53 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Manual Transmission Leaking

You do not need to pull the engine to remove the transmission. Some of
the seals on the transmission can be replaced without removing it.
Before you go through a lot of work change the oil in the transmission
and replace it with 85-90# gear oil (if it's a 5-speed!). If you have
the wrong oil or too much oil it can cause leaks. You can wipe the
trans down or use engine cleaner to clean the trans so you can find
the source of the leaks. Look for leaks from the oil stain. Follow the
stain from back to front and from bottom to top. It is normal to see a
drop hanging from the case but you shouldn't see oil stains on the
floor. If you have an automatic transmission leaks are a sign of
internal damage. The metal grit ruins the seals so replacing a seal
won't work, it will leak again soon. On an automatic you have a
separate final drive so if it leaks you can check it. It uses gear
oil, not auto trans fluid. On an automatic if you overfill it it will
come out the vent and look like a leak so it is even more important to
check the fluid level as per the procedure in the Workshop Manual. If
you have a 5-speed it is simple to do but to do an automatic takes a
lot more skill and special tools.

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:16:59 -0500
From: Mike M <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>
Subject: Re: Permanate addition to engine block; where to tap a new hole?

Hi, have you tried drilling it and Helli coiling it??  I had to do this
with part of the cooling system on the engine.  It works really well, in
fact you won't be able to tell that anything has happened.

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:36:29 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Before blaming the transmission, make sure it's not an oil leak
that's running down the transmission before falling to the ground.

You may consider shining a light around the forward and bottom parts
of the engine to check. Also, you might try going underneath, wiping
everything clean then taking the car out for a drive. When you
return, back it up onto a set of ramps right away and go underneath
for a look. Depending on how fast the leak is, you should be able to
find the source. Check the two axle points at the differential
section of the transmission. Sometimes those seals leak.

Lastly, examine the fluid dripping off. Is hot, burnt or thin like
used motor oil? Is the oil pan black and gooey? Is the bellhousing at
the engine/transmission mating point wet and dripping? Could be a
rear main seal.

If it is indeed the transmission, the halves are sealed without a
gasket using an "anaerobic" sealant. (Cures without air) I'm not sure
where to get it but the vendors can help you out.

Good luck,

Rich A.

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:01:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Famous TV/Movie Car Poll

Hagerty Insurance is taking a poll of favorite tv/movie cars. The results will be
released nationwide to the media around the premiere of Starsky and Hutch on
March 5th. It will be hard to beat the "General Lee" but we at least need to beat
the Ford Torino's (currently 3% vote). Anyone familiar with the Evansville Auto
Fest knows DeLoreans always beat the Torinos! ;-)

Go & vote!
http://www.hagerty.com/surveys/cinemacars.asp

Shannon Y

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:42:29 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Best course of action would be to de-grease the transmission and then
get a close look at where it's really leaking. On a manual it is very
possible to change the axle seals without taking the transmission out
of the car, for anything else it comes out.

Make sure it's really gear oil you're leaking, could also be a rear
engine main seal (but you need to pull the trans for that too).

Is this an automatic or manual? Based on the "ouline of a
transmission" comment I'm thinking an automatic with a leaky pan
gasket. About everything else leaks in one place, or runs to a low
spot and drips in one place.

> You do not need to pull the engine to remove the transmission. Some
of
> the seals on the transmission can be replaced without removing it.
--> David Teitelbaum

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:31:32 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Another option is to burn it out with a disintegration machine(aka spark
erosion service). My father used to do this to remove broken taps in his
tool & die business. This is a special machine so you would need to find a
machine shop that has one. The unique feature is that there is less chance
of screwing up the hole.

Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:43:42 +0100
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: Max. allowed weight etc.

Need this for the registration document....

Does anyone know what the factory specs are for the following:

Maximum allowed weight subjected to the front axle?
Maximum allowed weight subjected to the rear axle?

And - these combined makes the answer to the next question - what is the maximum allowed total weight on both axles combined?

The car was of course registered many years ago as an exception due to non-existent type approval, but I still would like to have the correct numbers.

A type approval would have sorted out everything, but since the car never was sold in Europe, that info was never made public.

The traffic station simply chose to put in these randomly selected numbers in the registration document:

Max.weight front axle: 580 kg
Max.weight rear axle: 890 kg
Max. combined weight:1470 kg

Together with this:
Weight of car: 1280kg + 75 kg (driver) = 1355 kg

Maximum allowed luggage weight incl. passenger: 115 kg
Now, if you take away the standard 75 kg (passenger), the maximum allowed luggage weight would be 40 kg.

Does this sound correct?

Again, this doesn't matter much, but I still would like to get it all correct! Any opinions/discussions on the above numbers will be very much appreciated!

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:47:26 -0000
From: "westleymills2003" <westleymills2003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: manual gearbox

hi i drove my delorean from london to bristol and when checking the
gear box oil level a month later on undoing the gearbox fill/level
plug air gushed in or out i dont know which.[made a noise like
undoing a pepsi bottle)this baffels me as the gearbox cant be an air
tight seal as my drive shaft seal has a slow leak.This isnt a one off
as its happend before.
thanks westley