From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1888
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 1:45 PM

1. Re: Pics of my homemade DMC Dealer sign...
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

2. Re: NOS Seat Covers
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Gullwing Magazine (Current Issue)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

4. Clutch Slave Removal
From: BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com

5. Re: Famous TV/Movie Car Poll
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

6. RE: Clutch Slave Removal
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. Re: Clutch Slave Removal
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. John DeLorean
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

9. Ebay DeLorean -- caveat emptor
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

10. RE: NOS Seat Covers
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Green DeLorean in Fresno, CA?
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

12. Re: Max. allowed weight etc.
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

13. Re: Permanate addition to engine block; where to tap a new hole?
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Tab repair and a little info on #003299.
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: NOS Seat Covers
From: MichaelRPack1_at_dml_cs.com

16. DeLorean TV sighting
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. RE: NOS Seat Covers
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

18. Re: NOS Seat Covers
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

19. Re: Permanate addition to engine block; where to tap a new hole?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: NOS Seat Covers (gray, two sets)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

21. Re: Under the manifold, was tab repair
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:55:19 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Pics of my homemade DMC Dealer sign...

Hi lads,

I got a ton of emails yesterday asking how much would it cost to buy
one of these panels, so here goes:
I checked on postage this morning and cost of materials etc.
Basically, I could ship to the USA a completed perspex panel for the
DeLorean sign (just like in the pictures), along with instructions on
how to build the box for it for $373 including packaging and postage.
The cost comes in getting the letters precision cut, and the time
involved in applying them to the perspex panel. It wouldn't make
sense to ship the box, as this would add a lot of cost to the
shipping.
If you're interested, give me an email:
dmcjohn<at>hotmail.com
The sign measures 4 feet across, by a little over a foot high, so
fits nicely in your home!

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:56:44 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: NOS Seat Covers

In a message dated 2/23/04 9:51:00 AM Central Standard Time,
doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:
So please correct me if I'm wrong. If someone were to purchased some NOS
seat covers online, properly take care of them with proper hide care
products, they could end up having them for a long time without cracks?

Jon

Under ideal circumstances, yes.
But for the price, why risk it? if they crack in five years, you wasted XXX
amount of $$$, and now you have to spend it again to replace them for the third
time.

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:50:14 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Gullwing Magazine (Current Issue)

List,

Just read the latest copy of GW Magazine and without a doubt,
it is getting much easier to customize your Delorean with
extremely helpful articles like "Wheels, Fancy Footware".
Wheels and tires are probably the easiest way to customize
your Delorean that can still be returned to stock quickly.
It's great to see so many options all togther in one place.

I really enjoy the attention to detail here, particularly the
photo at the top of the wheel article, starting on page 16.
The photo really gives you a great perspective viewing those
beautiful body lines (and the Delorean body lines too).

Ron and Cheryl, keep up the great work on the magazine.
All your efforts are appreciated more with every issue.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, gullwingmagazine_at_dml_j... wrote:

For those of you that have been waiting for the next issue
(Vol. 2 Issue 1 Winter 2004) of Gullwing Magazine, it is currently
being printed and will be shipped over the next several days.

>snip

You don't want to miss the technical articles on:  custom wheels for
the DeLorean, how to troubleshoot the idle system, and building an
auto trans tester.

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:27:45 -0000
From: BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com
Subject: Clutch Slave Removal

I am having trouble removing the clutch slave cylinder.  It looks like
1 bolt is missing, the other has washers installed and I'm having
trouble breaking it loose.  I could have dropped the tranny in the
time I spent trying to get the bolt loose.

Also, on my parts car, I got the bolts out but cannot free the slave
from the shaft.  Plus, the nut is rusted to the tubing on the
hydraulic line.

Any hints that would make this job easier?  I searced the archives but
could not find any detailed suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Woody

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:35:44 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Famous TV/Movie Car Poll

The Poll is actually for the most famous car... I haven't even heard of The
Magician... maybe it was never aired in the UK or I am not old enough to
remember it??? :)

The General Lee is certainly one of my favourites but the Back To The Future
films keep being aired... creating new legions of fans hence 7 year old kids
even now pointing at the car saying a BTTF reference.  I even heard one say
'it is a spaceship' once......

Unless you watch cable Dukes of Hazard will only ever be a fond memory...

A poll of the most favourite movie cars would create an interesting
comparison.....

Chris Hawes
UK #5255

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:40:17 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Clutch Slave Removal

Woody, Pull the intake and the job will be much easier. I know it's almost
to late now.

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:32:31 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

There is no magic on this sort of thing. You are just dealing with
time and nature (i.e. rust).

Lots of PB-Blaster (probably the best of the penetrating oils) may
help. Careful spraying stuff around the slave, by the way, since
anything that runs off may end up on the clutch. Nothing like an oily
clutch disc to ruin your day after this is all done. . .

Then you'll probably end up pulling the trans. Chances are that the
bolt is missing because someone broke it off, and I don't see how
you'll have much luck getting up in there with a drill and tap. It's
not that bad to get the trans out <<he said after doing it about 5
times>>>.

How long ago was the car running? If it's a long time you'll probably
find that th throwout bearing is stuck to the trans anyway. If that's
the case you will be taking it all apart. You can check this with a
prybar applied stratically to the clutch fork in the proper
direction.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:39:11 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: John DeLorean

I received this from John last night and all I can say is that I tried.

 Ken;

  Due to ongoing projects, and prior commitments I have limited
availability around the time of the upcoming car show. I will not be able
to attend this year.
Best wishes for another successful car show.

JZD

We try to give everyone the best and as you know we cannot guarentee anyone's
attendance but it not for lack of effort.   I am also disapointed but all I
can do is my best to put on the best show ever.

This show will still be the biggest and the best.

Kathryn and I have talked this over and we will see if we can add a surprise
to the show you will all enjoy.

Kat has been a doll and is with us all the way.

For those of you that have not met Claudia Wells (Jennifer Parker BTTF1) she
is a wonderful person and you will definately enjoy her company.

The entertainment is set and we have a few surprise cars coming that we are
not going to announce so you have to come to the show to see them. (remember
Ryan last time )

One special vehicle is being restored just for the show.

Fred Dellis of the Legend Turbo design will be doing his first seminar on his
involvement in the car for the turbo.  We have pictures and information never
seen before and for those of you that liked the video we did last time, well
that was just the beginning.

We have 38,000 Sq feet under roof for this show.  It is twice the space as
the parking lot in Memphis with a huge stage in the middle.  The stage if you
look at the pics on the web page is bigger than the pavilion where we had diner
Thursday and Sat in Memphis.

The rock Crawler from Monster Garage will be there. Of course regulars like
the D rex and a bunch of BTTF cars will be there and many stock Deloreans along
with the custom ones.

If you miss this one you will be missing the largest DeLorean Car Show ever.

If you don't have fun in Pigoen Forge you never will.

See you in Pigeon Forge.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc
DeLorean Car Show Magazine
www.DeLoreancarshow.com

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:30:08 -0500
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Ebay DeLorean -- caveat emptor

If you're considering bidding in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2462299427&cat
egory=31830

(1981 DeLorean V6 with Custom Turbo, West Chester PA)

email me off list for important information (both good and bad) and photos
from when I looked at this car on 11/1/2003.  From the odometer shots, it
seems the photos on the auction may actually predate mine.

I found about half an inch of water standing in the passenger side footwell
and significant condensation inside the relay compartment, despite it being
properly covered with the panel and carpet.  Also saw my first blue relay in
there.

mcmullas at bellatlantic dot net

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:42:13 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I sold the last set of NOS original I had last year and they felt and
smelled like new. Customer is happy.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:21:55 -0800
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>
Subject: Green DeLorean in Fresno, CA?

If anyone on this list was driving a green DeLorean recently in Fresno,
CA, Id appreciate getting an e-mail from them off list. A friend said
she spotted one and it would be interesting to contact the owner as I
live about an hour from Fresno.

Thanks.

Joe

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:04:59 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Max. allowed weight etc.

Hi Stian - I don't know if your car is missing the ID plate that is
normally mounted next to the aft latch pin on the driver's side door
opening.  This plate carries the information that you are asking
about.  On the US version, the Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
is 3180 lbs.  The rating for the front "axle" is 1244 lbs, while the
rear rating is 1936 lbs.  I would guess that you can just convert to
metric units from those values.  I hope that this answers your
questions.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_n...>
wrote:
> Need this for the registration document....
>
> Does anyone know what the factory specs are for the following:
>
> Maximum allowed weight subjected to the front axle?
> Maximum allowed weight subjected to the rear axle?
>
> And - these combined makes the answer to the next question - what
is the maximum allowed total weight on both axles combined?

> The car was of course registered many years ago as an exception
due to non-existent type approval, but I still would like to have
the correct numbers.

> A type approval would have sorted out everything, but since the
car never was sold in Europe, that info was never made public.

> The traffic station simply chose to put in these randomly selected
numbers in the registration document:

> Max.weight front axle: 580 kg
> Max.weight rear axle: 890 kg
> Max. combined weight:1470 kg
>
> Together with this:
> Weight of car: 1280kg + 75 kg (driver) = 1355 kg
>
> Maximum allowed luggage weight incl. passenger: 115 kg
> Now, if you take away the standard 75 kg (passenger), the maximum
allowed luggage weight would be 40 kg.

> Does this sound correct?
>
> Again, this doesn't matter much, but I still would like to get it
all correct! Any opinions/discussions on the above numbers will be
very much appreciated!

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:36:52 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Permanate addition to engine block; where to tap a new hole?

Yeah, sorry I meant cylinder head; kinda learning cars as I go along.
Now that I have calmed down about the broke extractor, I  will
probably slowly attack it with my dremel but if I can't get it out
I'll take it in to a machine shop. (Wish I had bought a 3-1 machine)
How difficult is it to remove one of these? Is it just a matter of
unscrewing one piece or is it a lengthy process of keeping track of
tiny parts and making sure they are aligned 100% when putting it back
together. I'm a quick learner but not that quick :)

Jason

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_d...>

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:52:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tab repair and a little info on #003299.

I haven't gotten under the manifold yet.  Why do you ask?

jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:Jeremiah,

Ill go out on a limb here, I was wondering when
you fixed the vacume leaks and removed the manifold,
what was the condition of your hot water pipe from the
heater and the casting under the y-pipe. Was the
casting filled with crap and old copper washers?
Basically hiw did it look under your manifold

jordan

11613

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:01:23 EST
From: MichaelRPack1_at_dml_cs.com

In a message dated 02/22/2004 5:32:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Hey Everyone, how's it going?

 I'm considering the purchase of some NOS seat covers I see pop up on ebay
 every now and then.  I've heard some rumors that the seats crack after a
 while and am wondering if this is unavoidable or can be remedied by proper
 hide care.  Any input on this? Thanks!

 Jon Weiner
 #3215 >>

Hi John,

I purchased a pair of NOS gray leathers seat covers from the gentleman over
in the UK. The final ebay price was $800 w/shipping. I don't want a
"reproduction" or "genuine copy" I'm thinking about purchasing a NOS set in black
leather...just in case.

As far as hide food...I have treated the leathers with a product called
Leatherique.com

Leatherique has been endorsed by the Lotus, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, BMW, car
clubs since 1968. I believe that the product has an excellent reputation.

I have the seat covers stored in the library of my home. The humidity and
temperature of the room is perfect for preserving old books, so I thought it
would benefit the leathers in that environment. In addition, it would allow them
to slowly get used to the geographic area of the country where I live (near
Annapolis Maryland)

The leatherique seems to be working The process is a two step application.
First the rejuvenator oil and then application of pristine clean. The seat
covers were soft and pliable to begin with so now they are treated properly and
should last for many more years.

I will be offering some leatherique at the Pigeon Forge show this summer. I
will bring the seat covers, steering wheel, interior door panels, a very worn
out DMC drivers seat to demonstrate leatherique to those that are interested.

Sincerely,
Michael Pack

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:54:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DeLorean TV sighting

I was just watching a show on VH1 called Most Outrageous Game Show Moments, and a Back to the Future guised DeLorean drove by in the background where Ben Stein, the host, was asking a woman a question. I guess it must have been filmed at Universal Studios. Just thought I'd pass this along!

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:51:10 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I have a grey set that I purchased last year on ebay and they are like
new.  If you want original, get original.  Otherwise get copies...  It's
nice to have options.

Jack.
Looking for a project car.

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:22:23 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

I would like to see that demonstration of that product. Please let me
know what day and what time you plan on doing the demonstration. I have
heard a lot about this product put the price scares me away, if i seen
what it claims it does the price would not matter then.

Mark

On Wednesday, February 25, 2004, at 10:01 AM, MichaelRPack1_at_dml_cs.com
wrote:

> In a message dated 02/22/2004 5:32:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:
>
> <<
>  Hey Everyone, how's it going?
>
>  I'm considering the purchase of some NOS seat covers I see pop up on
> ebay
>  every now and then.  I've heard some rumors that the seats crack
> after a
>  while and am wondering if this is unavoidable or can be remedied by
> proper
>  hide care.  Any input on this? Thanks!
>
>  Jon Weiner
>  #3215 >>
>
> Hi John,
>
> I purchased a pair of NOS gray leathers seat covers from the gentleman
> over
> in the UK. The final ebay price was $800 w/shipping. I don't want a
> "reproduction" or "genuine copy" I'm thinking about purchasing a NOS
> set in black
> leather...just in case.
>
> As far as hide food...I have treated the leathers with a product called
> Leatherique.com
>
> Leatherique has been endorsed by the Lotus, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, BMW,
> car
> clubs since 1968. I believe that the product has an excellent
> reputation.
>
> I have the seat covers stored in the library of my home. The humidity
> and
> temperature of the room is perfect for preserving old books, so I
> thought it
> would benefit the leathers in that environment. In addition, it would
> allow them
> to slowly get used to the geographic area of the country where I live
> (near
> Annapolis Maryland)
>
> The leatherique seems to be working The process is a two step
> application.
> First the rejuvenator oil and then application of pristine clean. The
> seat
> covers were soft and pliable to begin with so now they are treated
> properly and
> should last for many more years.
>
> I will be offering some leatherique at the Pigeon Forge show this
> summer. I
> will bring the seat covers, steering wheel, interior door panels, a
> very worn
> out DMC drivers seat to demonstrate leatherique to those that are
> interested.
>
> Sincerely,
> Michael Pack

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website.
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:51:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you are not experienced in auto mechanics removing the cylinder
head is not a good place to start. You will need a special tool for
the timing chain for the overhead camshaft too. Before you get into
more trouble I would try to find a machinist that can come to the car
or maybe have the car towed to their shop. Try to find the place in
your area that most of the local shops send their "head work" to. You
can wind up doing a lot of extra work (and damage) when the broken
bolt may be removed easily by a competant machinist. I am guessing but
when you drilled the bolt to use the extractor you were off-center so
you couldn't turn the bolt because the extractor was grabbing the
casting too, not just the bolt. By the time you "dig" the broken bolt
out with a Dremel you will have a huge irregular hole that will have
to be welded to be repaired.

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:18:11 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: NOS Seat Covers (gray, two sets)

List,

If anyone needs to get a set of NOS gray seat covers for their
Delorean, I have 2 perfect sets that have been stored correctly
that I bought a few years ago (with 2 other sets) that I have
been installing on Deloreans that I have been refurbishing.

I don't really need to sell them, but I do not really need them
for my current projects, so if there is serious interest for one
or both of these sets, I would ask what I have into them, plus
shipping.  Please email me off list for more details.

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:44:40 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Under the manifold, was tab repair

Jeremiah,

 Because I believed that you had mentioned that you
had fixed vacume leaks.  I am curious to ask folks
that have replaced all of their vacume hoses how their
engine condition is under the manifold or behind the
water pump for that mattter.  I believe I had
mentioned that I posted my own little horror story on
my site under "what lurks beneath"

heres the link
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/delorean/whatlurksbeneath.html

jordan 11613