From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1890
Date: Friday, February 27, 2004 11:26 AM

1. Re: Under the manifold, was tab repair
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: DeLorean TV sighting
From: chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk

3. RE: Great Window Cleaner
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Throttle body
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Starting Problem
From: "Trey Brown" <treybpd3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Favor request: Inspect a turbo DMC in Loudonville, Ohio.
From: "thomaspaulmccoy" <thomaspaulmccoy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. windshield washer pump motor
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

8. muffler suggestions for custom exhaust...
From: <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

9. Do it yourselfers might wanna see this
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: Throttle body
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. cigar ring illumination
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: windshield washer pump motor
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

13. Re: Starting Problem
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

14. RE: Starting Problem
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD
From: "deloreanchuck" <chuckkay_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: Starting Problem
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: cigar ring illumination
From: "saalexander2000" <stuartalexander_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Throttle body
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

19. OIL FILTER
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: windshield washer pump motor
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:50:18 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Under the manifold, was tab repair

I used a small rounded off tool to remove the crap
from mine.  It took a long time to clean it out.  I
found enough copper rings to redo half the fuel
injection, several regular washers, paper, and a banjo
bolt i lost several months earlier.  Everyone should
know that the pictures I sent were before photos, the
engine casting now is in pristine condition.  I home
to have the car running in the next 2 weeks as im
waiting for some parts to come in.

jordan 11613

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:29:18 +0100 (CET)
From: chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: Re: DeLorean TV sighting

I was watching an episode of Knight rider the other day and noticed a De Lorean parked at the side of the road. The episode was called "Ring of Fire" from the 2nd session about 9 minutes into the episode..
Chris S
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save 7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:03:54 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Great Window Cleaner

It's funny you mention this, I was going to mention a simular product I
found at the same place, (BBAB)... they are "Stainless Steel Cleaner Wipes".
They come in a white and blue canister
for about $6 and claim to keep the fingerprints off of stainless steel.
They are designed for appliances like refrigerators.
I used one on my door and it worked great!
I have gotten used to carrying several of the Windex Glass Wipes with me
every where I
go so I can wipe off the door, and every where else that gets printed up.
Check them out!
- Videobob
VIN#5278

>From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Great Window Cleaner
>Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:30:06 -0000
>
>I just pilfered a great product from my wife's cleaning supplies. It
>is Perfect Glass by Hope. You can get it in Bed Bath & Beyond and I
>see it is also in Home Improvements (www.homeimprovementscatalog.com).
>It is better than Windex. It leaves no streaks or residue and hides
>minor surface scratches. It is a little pricey so I first clean the
>glass with Windex to remove the dirt so I only polish the glass with
>Perfect Glass. They also have a website at www.hopecompany.com
>David Teitelbaum
>vin 10757

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:52:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Throttle body

Check the quadrant link (the short link from the throttle spool to the
throttle body) the ends wear and can induce a lot of play. Check the
throttle cable, it might need lubrication. Make sure the carpet and
floor mats aren't interfering with the pedal. Move the spring on the
throttle spool to the next, tighter, position. Look inside the
throttle body. If the motor was run without an air filter or there was
a leak allowing unfiltered air in the insides might be so filled with
dirt it is making the throttle hard to move. It will idle fast and
uneven if you are not getting the throttle linkage all the way back
and activating the idle micro switch

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:40:03 -0000
From: "Trey Brown" <treybpd3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Starting Problem

Im having some trouble starting my Delorean, but only if it has been
recently driven. For example, If the car sits overnight and it is
the first start of the day, I have no problem at all. However, if I
make a short trip and then stop for a while (under two hours or
so),and then try to start it again, the car takes about five
attempts to start. It runs great once I get it going and never
stalls. And like I said, if it sits for more than two hours or so,
it starts every time. Does anybody know what the problem might be?

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:21:02 -0000
From: "thomaspaulmccoy" <thomaspaulmccoy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Favor request: Inspect a turbo DMC in Loudonville, Ohio.

Does anyone live near Loudonville, Ohio?  I want to bid on an eBay
car but need some first-hand accounts of the car ("sight unseen" is
a scary thing).  Auction is up in two days :(

ViewItem&category=31830&item=2462234653

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tom

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:33:01 -0500
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: windshield washer pump motor

I am pretty sure I need to swap my washer motor pump. When Rich and I did his it was a real pain to remove the old pump from the bottle and putting the new one in was even more difficult. Anyone have any tips or tell us what we were doing wrong? We were just using dish soap around the edge of the new pump motor and forcing it back into the opening and it was a real bear to get back in. In fact we snapped part of Rich's pump but it works fine now...

Mike C

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:55:29 -0500
From: <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: muffler suggestions for custom exhaust...

I am in the process of have a local shop make up some exhaust manifolds for
me that will basically eliminate the need for a cat.

What I am planning on doing is basically taking the new exhaust manifolds
and having them turn to exit the rear of the engine, as opposed to how they
exit now, at the front with the y pipe.

Its basically the exact same setup as the exhaust system being offered out
of the UK.

I am just wondering.. What is a good muffler that I can use with 2 ins and 2
outs?

Also, I thought I would mention, that if all goes well, the shop making the
exhaust manifolds mentioned that they can make more once I have the
prototype set made (mine), so if anybody is interested, let me know

Thanks for the help!
www.odoc.ca <http://www.odoc.ca/>

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:08:46 -0800
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Do it yourselfers might wanna see this

I don't know why I didn't think of this...

http://www.liqui-technik.com/kipp1_e.html

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:48:29 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jon,
I'm rebuilding a complete fuel injection system as we speak.( off the car ).
I have also found that the micro switch is so hard to push down that the
idle screw ( lower ) can't or won't rest on the plate thus running the idle
higher. I will replace the micro switch to relieve the pressure of holding
the throttle open. Make sure the spring is pulling back properly with no
binds and the spindle likewise. Make sure the cable is not binding. WD40 is
good to get in tight places while your working the mechanism back and
fourth.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.co

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:14:21 -0500
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: cigar ring illumination

A while back an owner at one of the NJ social's noticed my cigar ring light was on even when the car was off and the key out. He mentioned that it should not be lit and would drain the battery. We then disconnected it. Since I am finishing the nit picky stuff I wanted to get that fixed. Should that green light on the ring stay on? only when the key is on? any help would be appreciated...

Mike C

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:41:34 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: windshield washer pump motor

Mike - The washer pump screws into a threaded plastic grommet that is
pressed into the reservoir.  Was your challenge in getting the
grommet installed, or in screwing in the pump?  For simple pump
replacement, the grommet doesn't need to be removed, so the wires and
the small clear tube should be removed from the pump.  Then, you
unscrew the pump, put the new one back in, screw it snug, and replace
the wires and the tube.  I'm not sure where or why you were having to
force anything together.  A few more details on how you were doing
this would be helpful.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:51:27 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Starting Problem

Trey - Try clicking on this link, http://www.dmcnews.com/techmain.htm
and then scrolling down to the "Fuel and Emissions" section.  There,
you will find articles on the classic "hot start" problem, as well as
discussion of the fuel pressure accumulator.  After you are familiar
with the technical discussions, you will be able to ask more specific
questions for your situation.  The resources of the DML are vast, and
everybody is encouraged to use them whenever possible.  I don't
believe that there are any new problems that haven't been covered to
one degree or another.  Let us know what you find out.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:07:40 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Trey, Sounds like the typical hot start problem. The accumulator and o rings
in the fuel distributor need to be replaced.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:24:10 -0000
From: "deloreanchuck" <chuckkay_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD

    That was my son Mike's DeLorean 10610.  He is taking Automotive
Technology at Lincoln Tech in Columbia.  He was on his way home to
Timomium when he heard a POP and then the car filled with steam.
This was on I-70 just before I-695 (Beltway). He called me at work
and I can out to help him.  I work 5 miles from the site.  The rubber
coolant hose just in front of the pipe with the osterstat blew out 3"
split. Coolant everywhere.
    We wrapped the hose in electrical tape and removed the coolant
bottle cap so the system would not be pressurized.  We stopped twice
on the way home to fillup with water.
    We went to Salvo Auto Parts and looked for a suitable hose.  We
picked Gates 20137 and cost $8.50.  It  was 17" long with a 90 degree
band in it, but it had a 7" straight section to it and it was the
right diameter. I cut off a 5" piece and installed it and refilled to
the correct concentration.  The whole repair was about 30 minutes.
Time to check all the other short sections in the system.

                            Deloreanchuck

   --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, billsfanmd_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Just wanted to see if any MD owners were on Route 70 and the
Baltimore

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:35:37 EST
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com

i had the same problem before until i changed the fuel accumulator. now it
start anytime anywhere no more embarrasment in front of lookers!!

fast freddy vin#6048

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:19:50 -0000
From: "saalexander2000" <stuartalexander_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: cigar ring illumination

I noticed the same thing with mine and disconnected it too.  I never
did find out why it was like this.

Stuart

16686

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:46:34 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

I had an idle fast problem.  My DMC has an automatic transmission and when I
came to a stop and moved the selector to neutral the rpm soared to 1800.  A
quick blip with the throttle dropped the rpm to 800.

My mechanic cleaned and lubricated the throttle linkage and cured the
problem.

Roland Smith
6667
Oakland, California

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:21:47 -0800 (PST)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: OIL FILTER

Oil filter won't come off Any Suggestions?  Also tried oil wrench also in case anyone wondering,  just crushes it on the end, can't get it close enough to base.

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:28:24 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

It should screw in....

The pain in the backside is usually all the bolts holding the cowling
around the bottle, not the pump.

Martin