From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1891
Date: Saturday, February 28, 2004 9:11 AM

1. Johnny D the Pseudo Man
From: BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com

2. Re: Great Window Cleaner
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Do it yourselfers might wanna see this
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

4. Cleaner to best brigthten the stainless steel panels.
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

5. RE: Re: cigar ring illumination
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: windshield washer pump motor
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: JZD Pigeon Forge
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: OIL FILTER
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: OIL FILTER
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: OIL FILTER
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Re: OIL FILTER
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Re: OIL FILTER
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

15. Exotic Car Concours at Disney- DMC Invited!
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Old Tires and Hoses
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:45:27 -0000
From: BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com
Subject: Johnny D the Pseudo Man

Over the past several months I have read a lot of comments on John
DeLorean the legend and John D the man.  More recently, I have read
discussion relating to decisions of attending Pigeon Forge base on Mr.
D's attendance.

As a owner of 2 D's, I have a great appreciation for the innovation
that was incorporated into the car. It's an engineer's car and I'm an
engineer. Whether the car is a result of John D's concepts or he just
hired some very creative designers, there is no question that the car
is still innovative by today's standards, 20+ years after it's initial
production. DeLorean went up against the big guys and made a
revolutionary car.

Yet is was John DeLorean himself, not the big guys and not his
employees or suppliers that made the company fail. It was HIS inept
management, ego, arrogance, greed, quality problems, poor business
practices and at least questionable business ethics that cause the
company failure.  The ripple effect of his actions also cause the
demise of other inovative companies that naievely or foolishly relied
on his word and made significant investments in anticipation of a
successful DMC.

I for one would not pause a second to shake John DeLorean's hand, not
because I do not appreciate his vision, but because I do not respect
him as a man of integrity.  In no way would his presence or lack
thereof influence my decision to attend Pigeon Forge.   Conversely,
shaking the hand of one of you that have given of your time willingly
to offer helpful comments and share your personal experiences is
unquestionably a reason for me to drive over 1000 miles.  Plus,
several of you can probably tell me more than Johnny Boy about how to
fix my cars.

Thanks again guys & ladies for all your help.

Woody

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:33:00 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Great Window Cleaner

I also found great window cleaner. I don't know if you can get only
one can of it though as we use it at my work and ten boxes of it with
about 8 cans in each box. It is called Myer, or Meyer Glass cleaner.
It get anything off glass and dosn't leave streeks.

Josh

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> It's funny you mention this, I was going to mention a simular
product I
> found at the same place, (BBAB)... they are "Stainless Steel
Cleaner Wipes".
> They come in a white and blue canister
> for about $6 and claim to keep the fingerprints off of stainless
steel.
> They are designed for appliances like refrigerators.
> I used one on my door and it worked great!
> I have gotten used to carrying several of the Windex Glass Wipes
with me
> every where I
> go so I can wipe off the door, and every where else that gets
printed up.
> Check them out!
> - Videobob
> VIN#5278
>

> >From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...>
> >To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [DML] Great Window Cleaner
> >Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:30:06 -0000
> >
> >I just pilfered a great product from my wife's cleaning supplies.
It
(www.homeimprovementscatalog.com).
> >It is better than Windex. It leaves no streaks or residue and hides
> >minor surface scratches. It is a little pricey so I first clean the
> >glass with Windex to remove the dirt so I only polish the glass
with
> >Perfect Glass. They also have a website at www.hopecompany.com
> >David Teitelbaum
> >vin 10757
> >

> >To address comments privately to the moderating team, please
address:
> >moderators_at_dml_d...
> >
> >For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see

> >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
> >Yahoo! Groups Links

> Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for
Special Offer!

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:25:52 -0500
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: Do it yourselfers might wanna see this

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:08:46AM -0800, jdub wrote:
> I don't know why I didn't think of this...

Also this:

http://accessiblesystems.com/etfiles/et.htm

--noah

"Ever have a girl break off your arms and beat you to death with them?"
"Ever see a guy empty a 16-round clip into someone using just his toes?"
                                                    - Megatokyo

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:38:26 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Cleaner to best brigthten the stainless steel panels.

My 6667 Delorean has some stains and dull spots on the stainless steel.

What is the best cleaner to bring out some shine in the metal.  I have used
Bon Ami soap with great success in cleaning chrome without scratching.  Is
it a good choice with plenty of water?

Roland Smith
6667
Oakland, California

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:49:46 -0800
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: cigar ring illumination

If you have a schematic you may be able to find out it's proper function.

Jon

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:57:14 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: windshield washer pump motor

Speaking of which...

I have a nasty situation where some of those bolts holding the
cowling have come loose.  I turn them and turn them -- they just spin
happily forver, and they don't come out.

Is there a good way to get these bolts out?  Is it possible to get to
them from the other side without taking the entire car apart?  And if
so, is there a good way to replace them so that they don't do this
again?

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get a good WS washer pump?
Last one I bought didn't even last through a single winter.  And it
was actually replaced (and installed) by one of the main DMC
vendors...

Aaron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_d...>

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:11:26 -0500
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD

Glad that it worked out. I have several students that I teach that are going to go to Lincoln Tech in their Automotive Program....I think they have a Delorean in their shop for practice....

I have also found NAPA carries odd size coolant hoses...Good advice to change all hoses, I did that last year.

Mike C

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:26:18 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: JZD Pigeon Forge

After having attended Memphis, I can honestly say it's been hard waiting
for the next Delorean Car Show to come around!
Sure, we're disappointed in not getting to look at John live and in
person, but what's one man compared to making friends with the several
hundred Delorean enthusiasts who WANT to be there no matter what the
cost, distance, or schedule!
Plainly, John is missing another opportunity to be surrounded by a LOT
of nice folks who really appreciate his work, -and who don't judge him
like the majority of misinformed people.
Thanks, Ken!
Oliver Holler
Time-Car #10694
ps: I hope the ballroom carpeting Ken has us all park on is padded
enough for those who commented on the pavement last time! :-)

Tom Watkins wrote:

>I didn't attend the last show after JZD dropped out and I must say I
made a BIG mistake!  I'm going this year no matter what.....>

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:36:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean on the side of road in MD

You should consider replacing EVERY coolant hose. Typically the
hardest working hoses are the long curved one coming off the pump
going to the otterstadt switch and then the one you just had blow. The
one I mention is usually the first to get ugly and is usually
replaced. These hoses are the first to go because they handle the
hottest coolant going to the radiator. What you did to get going was
exactly the right thing to do but now that you know the hoses are past
their prime it is time to do a complete job. This means taking the
intake maifold off and replacing the water pump and all the seals and
hoses on top of the motor. Examine the radiator closely especally
around the tank on the left side for signs of green staining. Replace
the header bottle with a metal one. Don't forget to do the heater
hoses. At the same time you should replace the idler bearings and "O"
ring and both belts. Just call up and order a Master Water Pump Kit
and you will get everything you will need. This is also  good time to
do a complete tune-up because everything is so easy to get to. If you
can do all the work yourself it won't be TOO bad! It may be expensive
to get all these parts but consider what it would cost if you
overheated the motor and had to get towed. It could easily cost you 3
X what you will spend for the water pump kit and parts which you would
need anyway!

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:24:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: OIL FILTER

It doesn't matter of course if you have to mangle the filter up to get
it  off. I have used pipe wrenches, pump pliers, strap wrenches, and
in some extreme cases I have jabbed a long screwdriver right through.
Leave yourself some room to turn it. Once you move it a little it
should break free. After you get it off make sure that the casting is
completely clean ie, there is no old gasket left remaining so when you
put the new on on it will seal. Be careful not to cut yourself on the
sharp edges and it may get messy with oil dripping out. This happens
when the filter isn't changed for a LONG time.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> Oil filter won't come off Any Suggestions?  Also tried oil wrench
also in case anyone wondering,  just crushes it on the end, can't get
it close enough to base.

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:51:37 -0500
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

Jab a screwdriver into the side of the filter and that should make a good lever to twist it off.  When all else fails, this is the way to do it.

Patrick

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:53:56 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

wrote:
> Oil filter won't come off Any Suggestions?  Also tried oil wrench
also in case anyone wondering,  just crushes it on the end, can't get
it close enough to base.

Oil Filter Pliers.

Just as the name implies, they are large pliers that will go around
the oil filter, and they have small, spiked points that will grip,
but not puncture the filter. They also have a decent size handles,
which will help give you leverage when removing that filter. Just
make sure that when you install the new filter, that you only hand-
tighten as far the instructions on the box say, to avoid this problem
again in the future.

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:43:55 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

A couple of methods may work. One is to push a large screwdriver
through the filter and use the handle as a lever or, the best way is
to get a filter wrench with a cloth or fiber strap that wraps around
the filter to turn it or one of the sears strap wrenches. Of course
you can eventually destroy enough of the filter to break the filter
seal adhesion to the sealing surface on the block. This problem is
minimized if you put a film of motor oil on the filter seal before
you put it on.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:32:55 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

John - Back on the ranch in Montana, when that happened we would
drive a long screwdriver through it and use the handle as a lever arm
to get it started.  Kind of messy, but it tends to get the job done.
Remember to grease or oil the gasket on the replacement filter, and
only screw it on about 1/4 turn past when the gasket contacts the
surface of the mounting flange.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:35:10 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Exotic Car Concours at Disney- DMC Invited!

Hello Everyone
The Ferrari Club of America is hosting an exotic car concours on May
23 in Disney's turn-of-the-century waterside village of Celebration,
Florida.
This event is a fund raiser to benefit Make-A-Wish.
There are many marques invited, each in their own
division: Ferrari, Lamborghini, DeLorean, Aston Martin, Maserati,
and others. There are already some super exotics registered to come,
including a Mercedes CLK-GTR, a Porsche 911 GT1, a Saleen S7, and a
Ferrari 333SP, F1 car and several Enzos.
Disney is going all out for the show, and we are expecting 150 cars.
We have room for 20-30 DeLoreans. If you would like more information
and/or a registration form, please contact me at
cingular512(AT)comcast.net
The car owners can compete in the concours against other cars of the
same marque, or can choose to display only.
We are hoping to raise $25,000 for Make-A-Wish kids. Please let me
know if you can attend, or if you have any items you can donate for
a silent auction. We are also looking for judges for the DeLorean
division, and other assistance if anyone would like to get involved.
Celebration is a gorgeous setting, right on Disney property. The
main street area will be closed off for our show, and the cars will
be placed along the boardwalk next to the lake. The town has many
sidewalk cafes and shops, and being right next to Disney should make
this a great family weekend event.
Turn out of as many cars as possible will really help things for
Make-A-Wish. I hope to meet some of you there.
Jeff

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:27:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Old Tires and Hoses

This subject is comimg up more and more frequently on other car
bulletin boards and newsletters. The current advice is to replace
tires after 7 years even if they still look good and sooner if they
have "dry rot" or tiny cracks in the sidewall or ANY other defect. No
one should be driving on coolant hoses older than 10 years old, less
if they are swollen, cracked, or hard. When a new owner gets an old
car they aren't always ready to spend a large sum of money on a car
that runs so they put off replacing these old parts and instead
concentrate on the cosmetics, neglecting safety and reliability. Even
owners that have a car for a long time will procrastinate on replacing
what look like perfectly good parts. Ownership of a car means
budgeting for replacing parts if you use the car or not. Batteries
need to be replaced 5-7 years. Brake and clutch fluid EVERY 2 years.
Anti-freeze tested every year. Failure to heed this advice WILL result
in the car letting you down when you least expect it but you should
have! On Deloreans you also have the struts that don't last forever if
you want the doors to stay up. On cars that have been in "storage" you
can expect to have to replace EVERYTHING. The alternative is to fix
things as they break (which they will) meanwhile stranding you
everywhere until you lose all confidance in the car and stop driving it.