From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1893
Date: Monday, March 01, 2004 1:56 PM

1. Re: JZD Pigeon Forge
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: JZD Pigeon Forge
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

3. Re: Johnny D the Pseudo Man
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. RE: NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

7. RE: won't start
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. Re: How To Secure DeLorean Properly on Trailer
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. RE: Electrical/Alternator Problem.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: Electrical/Alternator Problem.
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Ken's Raffle Car Update
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. Raffle Car is on the move
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Johnny D the Pseudo Man
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

14. Re: JZD the Pseudo Man (long)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. RE: NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: Electrical/Alternator Problem
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

17. Re: New angle drive received and installed...
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

18. Re: JZD the Pseudo Man (long)
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

19. O2 Sensor
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

20. O2 sensor...
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:06:43 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: JZD Pigeon Forge

As a teenager that wants to be just like Big D himself I am
diappointed that I won't get to meet my hero but I'm not whinning. It
seems to me that Mr. DeLorean dosn't have to go to the shows I mean,
the cars are what 20 years old? He's also getting on up there in
retirement, and it probably is a lot of work for him to go to the
shows. I'm not trying to sound like a sour  head because I admire
every DeLorean owner. Who cares if Mr. DeLorean goes to the show or
not?  See everyone at the show, I'll be the one drooling over the
cars, well not ON them because I will have bucket:-)

Josh--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_a...>
wrote:
> After having attended Memphis, I can honestly say it's been hard
waiting
> for the next Delorean Car Show to come around!
> Sure, we're disappointed in not getting to look at John live and in
> person, but what's one man compared to making friends with the
several
> hundred Delorean enthusiasts who WANT to be there no matter what the
> cost, distance, or schedule!
> Plainly, John is missing another opportunity to be surrounded by a
LOT

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:03:18 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Strange....I am not able to attend Pigeon Forge, but two years ago I ran
into JZD while driving around in my car.  And HE stopped to talk to ME!
And let me take a photo!  ;)
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/members/abato/abato.htm
Irony?  You betcha!  ;)

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:55:03 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Johnny D the Pseudo Man

I know everyone has some thoughts about this but let's remember one
thing - Without Mr. DeLorean's vision, drive, and all the things
that make him up, there would not be a DeLorean automobile that we
all love and enjoy. He is the one who brought a dream to reality.
The company did not survive but the dream has - we are driving it.
There are always things we do that we regret and wish we could do
over and I'm sure Mr. DeLorean too thinks about that from time to
time.

But, there will never be a McElraft car - I wouldn't know where to
start and I would never take such a chance and risk everything. Mr.
DeLorean did. No, I much prefer to drive a fine car and do what I
think will make it a better car for me. We all have our own ideas
about that. So, for me, I would say thanks John D for trying. I
certainly appreciate what you did and admire the incredible chance
you took to create the DeLorean automobile. I enjoy the heck out of
it!

Harold McElraft - 3354 and others past

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, BePositive2000_at_dml_Y... wrote:
> Over the past several months I have read a lot of comments on John
> DeLorean the legend and John D the man.  More recently, I have read
> discussion relating to decisions of attending Pigeon Forge base on
Mr.

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:08:04 -0800 (PST)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance

Try Hagerty, (800) 922-4050 if you don't go much over 3000 Miles ayer, very reasonable.  I pay $400 a year for $24,000 full value with full coverage replacement value of $24,000 not what a delorean of similar cost is, don't be confused by the difference.  They don't haggle like most ins. companies they just pay the value insured.
 I'm 30 years old in So. Florida, so rates are higher down here of coarse.

But if it is a daily driver than you might try Progressive for six months it is about $650 again insured for a value of about $15,000, less because it is expensive.  Hope this helps just my experience!
So that's either $1300 a year or $400.
Take the $400 and don't go over 3000 miles!

racaliendo <RACaliendo_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have been a member of the list for quite a few years now, but I've
only been an owner for about two weeks. My last post back in
September was when I was looking at an 81 with the wide side stripes.
I had posted to ask if they were removable and the response I
received from the list was very encouraging. it is nice to associate
with people who are as passionate about the car as I am.

The 81 purchase did not work out, but I am the exceptionally proud
owner of a one-owner, 24k mile, 1983 Automatic, with black interior.
VIN 16793

My question for the list regards insurance.

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:12:06 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Richie, Welcome to the group. I have 4 cars, a home and 30 years of
friendship with my State Farm Agent, but corp. slapped his hand when he
insured my car and didn't look at the black list. Delorean is on it because
of high cost of replacement parts. I just carry liability and that's all
through State Farm.
John Hervey
www.Specialtauto.com
Delorean parts

I have been a member of the list for quite a few years now, but I've
only been an owner for about two weeks. My last post back in
September was when I was looking at an 81 with the wide side stripes.
I had posted to ask if they were removable and the response I
received from the list was very encouraging. it is nice to associate
with people who are as passionate about the car as I am.

The 81 purchase did not work out, but I am the exceptionally proud
owner of a one-owner, 24k mile, 1983 Automatic, with black interior.
VIN 16793

My question for the list regards insurance. I'm a 28 year old male
with a perfect driving record. However, the quotes that I have been
receiving for insurance would make all of you cry. My current vehicle
is insured with State Farm, but my agent's office assures me that
State farm will not insure Deloreans.

However, by searching the DML I had noticed that several people say
that their cars insured with State Farm. If anyone has any advice on
this subject, I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone is
willing to share their approximate insurance cost examples, it would
be appreciated. I would not be opposed to companies other than State
Farm if anybody has anyone to recommend. I live in the Western
Chicago suburbs.

Thanks to all in advance.

Richie Caliendo
RACaliendo_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:20:39 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

I just acquired a 1981 DeLorean and promptly insured it with State Farm
Insurance here in California.  Including $100 deductible collision
insurance, my semi-annual premium is $361.

Best regards,
Roland Smith
Oakland, California

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:06:27 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: won't start

John, I have a photo of a place to start on the web site. Via this link.
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-images/air-flow-adj-2.jpg
If that doesn't work for you then the best and real way is to adjust the 02
setting by watching the injectors spray while the air flow metering plate is
in the rest position and adjusted properly.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 05:17:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: How To Secure DeLorean Properly on Trailer

I have an enclosed trailer so I back it in to keep the heavyist part
toward the front of the trailer. I find the weight distribution
better. I cross the rear straps and attach to the "eyes" on the rear
under the motor. For the front I do them straight and use recovery
hooks to the frame. If you are using an open trailer you cannot tow
with it facing rear because the rear sunshade will "catch air". You
can put it on facing foward or remove the rear sunshade, or cover it
so it can't catch air. In any case you must place it on the trailer
properly so you have enough tongue weight so you don't get a lot of
sway. Putting it on facing foward you may have to move it way up
because most of the weight of a Delorean is in the rear. This becomes
especally noticable if you don't have a weight equalizing hitch with
sway control. I also recomend leaving it in neutral if it is an
automatic or a 5-speed with the parking brake off. The straps should
be capable of holding the car under all circumtances. Just be sure
that the anchors you attach to are strong enough to hold the car under
all conditions. You should check the straps often for the first miles
until everything streches and settles in. Same for the trailer tire
pressures, and lug nuts. Carry extra bulbs for the trailer and check
all the grounds, the safety chains, and lights every time you stop. A
cover will keep everyone from gawking. One of those non-contact
infra-red thermometers are great for monitoring the trailer tires and
brakes, and bearings.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "R... V.W." <phaedradolly_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I Just bought a trailer for my DeLorean and I am interested in
driviing from California to Tennessee with it to attend the DeLorean
Car Show. I would like some great suggestions in securing the D. on
the bed right. It is an open trailer.

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:21:09 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Electrical/Alternator Problem.

Robert, As the battery voltage goes down a lot of things will start to fail.
 Check the #161 battery light in the dash. When you turn there key on the
bulb should light and go off after the car starts to run. If the bulb is
burned out, the alternator looses it's exciter voltage to generate voltage.

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:19:56 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Sounds like fuse 5 has failed or, the contacts for the fuse are
contaminated and need cleaned.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_c...>

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:59:50 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Ken's Raffle Car Update

The "DeLorean Car Show 2004" Raffle car has been vacationing in
Northern Illinois  - as of today it is officially running!
Rich W and I spent the day getting the engine install completed, and
the car made its maiden voyage around the block. With a few more
adjustments (and leak fixes) it's ready to go. Some lucky winner is
getting a great deal on a nice car in Pigeon Forge.

I'll be getting some updated photos, and maybe even a short video of
it to over to Ken in the next day or two, so keep an eye on the
www.deloreancarshow.com website. And buy more tickets!

We expect the car to make an appearance in the St. Patrick's Day
parade in Chicago on March 13 - be sure to watch for it.

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:09:34 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Raffle Car is on the move

Well today we (Dave Swingle and Rich W actually) fired up the raffle car.

Once all the wiring and timeing was set,alarm removed, water bottle replaced, fuel lines flushed, fuel filter replaced and with a turn of the key it fired right up.

It took its inaugral trip today in Chicago and we are putting plates on it next week.  It will be run between now and the show to work out any bugs and of course will be in the St Patricks Day Parade in Chicago (weather permitting)

We will be tweeking the car and working on the small details until the show.

Sunday (feb 29th) we are going to take some new shots of the car and post them.  We are also going to get a video of it in the parade if we can.

You can see it on www.DeLoreancarshow.com
click on raffle car page.  New Pics I hope will be up in a week or so.

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:30:36 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

I am new here and just acquired my 1981 DeLorean which has, for most of the
three weeks that I have had it, been in the shop to repair little things
that had been neglected by the prior owner.  I am a new member of this list.

I always wanted one and am really pleased with it.

I fail to understand why members are so judgmental of the creator.  We
should enjoy our cars for the engineering and design achievement.

Incidentally, I recommend reading "On a Clear Day You Can See General
Motors" by John Z. DeLorean.  He had the strength to buck the establishment
at GM who were telling us what we should drive, rather, than finding out
what we wanted to drive.  The officers of GM should have been listening to
John Z. DeLorean.

Best regards,
Roland Smith
6667
Oakland, California

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:25:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: JZD the Pseudo Man (long)

I just don't get why some DeLorean owners get upset when other owners say anything less than positive about the man and the car. I would think we as owners are extremely well versed in all aspects of DeLorean lore, and that WE if anyone should be able to look at the man and the car with a critical eye. We know the real facts, we have experience with the cars, we have what it takes to be able to truly debate the issues here.

That said I look at DeLorean himself as somewhat of an idol to me. He's one of the biggest personalities of the 20th century, and left a mark on not only the automotive world as we know it, but also popular culture. But I don't think he's a saint either. I believe that the failure of DMC rests squarely on his shoulders, and here's why-

1) He should have gone after a world market. If nothing else, he should have at LEAST had a dealer network in Europe at start up, or worst case scenario have the cars widely available in Europe for the '82 model year. I think sales from Europe could have kept the company alive. I think this was his biggest blunder.

2) The car needed more power from the get go. The car should have been introduced with the twin turbo set up. Worst case scenario the twin turbo should have been available by the '82 model year at the LATEST. The thing is you've got to keep interest rolling. Especially when cars half the price of the DeLorean could run circles around it. I imagine by the time the public was finally able to buy a DeLorean the concept was a little over-exposed. It needed a new injection of freshness to keep the public interest.

3) Rumor has it you couldn't finance a DeLorean. Perhaps the original owners here on the list can pipe in on this one. In 1982 my parents bought a NICE 3 bedroom house in the suburbs for what a new DeLorean would cost. Had financing (or even leasing) been available the car could have been available to a wider audience.

4) The car was sold entirely on image- something it DIDN'T have! Look at all of the other sports car manufacturers who started up in the 20th century- Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Lotus. What's the common thread with all of them? They were all essentially driven by racing. The cars built up an image of success, quality, and excitement through their racing pedigree. DeLorean didn't start out racing, and it's pretty obvious he never planned to.

Anyone who has seen the Pennebaker Hedgus documentary knows that of course JZD wasn't involved in the day to day engineering decisions of the car. He can't be blamed for every little substandard aspect of the car or company. JZD was more involved in creating an image for the car to sell to the public, and I believe he didn't look at the car as much from a functionality standpoint. He looked at it more from "what looks good, and what people will talk about and get the car noticed." He was really more of a PR director and fundraiser than anything.

That said there are some aspects of the car that are engineered extremely well and are novel in their design and function. Gullwing doors, stainless steel, these all took vision, and I still believe to this day were truly revolutionary, and am surprized these concepts never worked their way down to other cars. These can be directly be credited to the genius of JZD. There are also some aspects of the car which are abysmally below par and were totally unacceptable from the start. I'm probably one of the few owners here who thinks the cars are everything the media portrayed them to be: lemons. Case and point, the electrical system. Companies like Zilla and Special T Auto are in business because they capitalize on the serious faults the car has (I'm not say that as a bad thing to either company guys, my car has almost every Zilla gadget and my car has Hervey stuff everywhere on it too). It had inherent flaws that were severe enough to cause its own demise if they weren't taken care of.

Despite all of this I **LOVE** my DeLorean. The car is  more than the sum of its parts. The things truly have personality, something that can't be said for most cars. They have presence, they are totally unique, and despite all of the negativity that surrounds the man and the car, I wouldn't change one bit of it. It all contributes to one of the most extraordinary tales of modern history, and just adds that much more specialness to owning a DeLorean car.

Whether or not JZD were to attend a DCS would never make me attend or not attend though. Just like every one of us he has done some really extraordinary things, and some really bad things. He's human folks, and those who are too critical of him probably should turn the mirror to themselves. His attendance at a DCS would be an icing on the cake for me, and to shake his hand would be a life long dream. But he is just one aspect of this whole DeLorean phenomenon. There's so much more to it than just a man, just a car, and all of the media and myth that surrounded both. I think it would be unfortunate for someone to say they would or would not attend a DCS just because of JZD's attendance. I've planned on going with or without his attendance because I simply love the DeLorean car so much. Yeah I'm disappointed and a little skeptical about his reasonings about suddenly pulling out of Pigeon Forge, but I'm sure as heck not going to let that change my opinion on him, the car, or Ken's DeLorean Car Show.

Louie Golden

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:36:22 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

I am about the same here near san Jose with state farm.

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:27:51 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:30:05 -0000, "therealdmcvegas" wrote:

> While driving home from work Friday afternoon, my alternator decided
> to quit charging, and the gagues decided to quit functioning as well.
[snip]
> Not sure if the fuel gague is working still, but the Voltmeter is dead,
> and the Tach is stuck _at_dml_ 1900, like it is when it's off. When I Put the key
> in the "ON" position, NONE of the warning lights in the binnacle turn on.
[snip]
> Any ideas on this one? I had to leave for another engagement and have
> not even had time to check up on the car since. Not even the fuses.

First thought was #5 fuse, feeding the instrumantation, as well
as the otterstat (which in turn feeds the cooling fan relay).

Reason none of the lights would come on is that with a blown #5 they're
not powered and allmost all of them ar switched in their ground-lead...

As far as I know most probable reason the fuse blew
is an accidental ground at or near the otterstat...

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:51:28 -0600
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>
Subject: Re: New angle drive received and installed...

I, too, received and installed my new angle drive from Houston.  It looks
like a fantastic part, especially with that grease fitting on there (how
cool is that?!).  I had the old angle drive off in less than 15 minutes,
making this a really easy job.  Thanks to Sonny's suggestion below, I was
able to get the retaining clip off in no time, as well as having the added
pleasure of smashing the old drive up with a hammer!

Please note, however, that the instructions that come with the drive are
incorrect.  The outer axle nut is actually 32MM, *not* 36MM.  I verified
this on other DeLoreans as well.  I was able to buy the 32MM socket at my
local parts store, listed under an "axle nut socket" for Honda's and
Chryslers.

A hundred miles later, and my speed is showing as smooth as silk.

Jake Kamphoefner
[You were right, Marty  :-)      ]

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:08:55 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 2/29/04 3:18:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
louie_at_dml_delorean.com writes:

> Yeah I'm disappointed and a little skeptical about his reasonings about
> suddenly pulling out of Pigeon Forge, but I'm sure as heck not going to let that
> change my opinion on him, the car, or Ken's DeLorean Car Show.

I appreciate this thread and it is truely a bummer for me as well as all of
you but remember one thing.  I do this car show for one thing
You the owners .
Without you we don't do a show.  It has nothing to do with John, Kathryn or
anyone else in particular including me.
Its a place to gather make friends and have a great time.

What makes this work is your intetactions with each other.  I truely believe
that the DML allowed me to take advantage of a central point for all DeLorean
owners and  use the power of the internet through the DML to get you all
together in one spot every two years to get you to meet each other face to face.

With this you get something you can get nowhere else but in a show (mine or
others) and that is frienships that I have seen endure for years.

Not only that but this show allows a lot more creativity to be seen by not
only the DeLorean Community but hundreds or thousands of others.  Many of the
items customized in one show ends up as an aftermarket product in a few years.
Also the shows have shown that the cars are improving in quality as time goes
on.

In most of our other shows we have been in public places and our cars have
been seen by all of these people as well.  And yes some have become owners.

John is not the focus of these shows. All of you are and credit should go to
those that keep the dream alive.

Just my thougths

Better see you in Pigeon Forge LOL

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:32:56 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: O2 Sensor

Can anyone give me some hints on replacing the O2 sensor. I bought
the special tool and was able to take out the old one pretty easily
but I cannot seem to get to the wire properly.  I can see it as a
black wire coming off the O2 sensor itself and entering a hole in the
frame.  Behind the drivers seat I see the Lambda ECU with its blue
wire traveling through the firewall. Where do the two meet?

How does one disconnect the old O2 sensor and connect the new one?

Thanks in advance,

Dave & 6530

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 04:17:53 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

Literally about sixty seconds after posting my question about the O2 sensor, Dave Swingle send me my answer and advised me to remove the rear wheel for better access.  Thanks again Dave.  I was able to feel and disconnect the O2 sensor wire without removing the wheel but I ended up having to remove the wheel in order to resnake the wire through the frame.  It was also easier to tighten it from under the car with the wheel off.  When I was under there I noticed that the driver's side axle seemed to have rubbed against one of the pipes going to/from the radiator so I was able to move it a bit more away.  Another plus of opening up the area for a better view.  As I'm sure you know it is often better to spend a little more time in preparation to make a job easier overall.  Thank you again for reminding me how true that is.  With that thought,  what is your recommendation for changing the cap, rotor, wires and plugs?

Thank you again,
Dave & 6530