From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1894
Date: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 1:43 PM

1. Re: New angle drive received and installed...
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Front end vibration
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

3. Re: O2 sensor...
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. Blasted RUST!
From: <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

5. What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

7. John DeLorean's Estate
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Front end vibration
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

9. Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?
From: "murray fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

10. Re: New angle drive received and installed...
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

11. Weird Otter?
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

12. Covering cars on open trailers
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. abysmal BTTF reference...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

14. What Transsmission was used in the Delorean? (Manual)
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>

15. Broken bolt... :-(
From: "minox8x11" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

16. Interesting find, DeLorean brake pads.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:16:12 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: New angle drive received and installed...

My angle drive just went south yesterday and now I get to order one
too.  This may sound like a stupid question, but I gotta ask.

Do you have to get your speedometer re-calibrated when you install it?

Johnny
5518

I, too, received and installed my new angle drive from Houston.  It
looks like a fantastic part, especially with that grease fitting on
there (how cool is that?!).  I had the old angle drive off in less
than 15 minutes, making this a really easy job.

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:30:56 -0500
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Front end vibration

I have vibration in the steering wheel that becomes more pronounced when the
brake is pressed. This points to a bad rotor. I'm replacing both fronts at
the moment but a thought occurred to me:

Is it possible that misalignment could cause this type of vibration?

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:30:56 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: O2 sensor...

A wireless LAN and a laptop in the garage is a beautiful thing - and
distracting.

Dave S (was still out there working on the raffle car...)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> Literally about sixty seconds after posting my question about the
O2 sensor, Dave Swingle send me my answer

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:40:30 -0500
From: <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: Blasted RUST!

I am in the process of remove my old exhaust, EVERYTHING is off and done

.

Except! 1 blasted little spacer (I think it's a spacer)

On the driver side, the manifold has one stud which has a bolt, then the oil
dip stick then a spacer?

Well it seems that this spacer is the only thing holding on . all the other
places on the exhaust manifold move when I shake the manifold, except that
one spot. so I am positive that this it the culprate.

I drenched it with penetrating oil.  And tried heating it up with a torche

Nothing seems to want to get this thing to let go

Any suggestions?

www.odoc.ca

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:18:29 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?

I have heard 100 different do's and don't's for the cleaning of the
stainless steel. Some people will swear by a certain method and some
will say never do that for that same method. I would like to clean
and also get small scratches out of my car. There probably will not
be a single method that everybody uses, but I want to hear what you
use and most importantly why??? Thanks for all the input.

Adam Lee

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:02:20 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

Hi Folks,

I've wanted a DeLorean as long as I can remember, and now find myself
in a financial situation to buy one later this year. My questions here
involve reliability & maintenance. I've owned a Pontiac Fiero
(several, actually) for over a decade now and am used to the routine
maintenace that goes on with an older vehicle, as well as doing it all
myself.

I had intended to locate a DeLorean with reasonably low milage, but
not so low that it's just been sitting and needs a bunch of work.
Something 15k-40k or so that was driven on weekends, etc. I intend to
put the car into service as a daily driver, putting around 30 miles
per day on average/~11k per year max (my commute is 12 miles each way
+ side trips once or twice per week). Price range expected to pay is
$15k-$20k. This would not be my only vehicle, simply my favorite, and
being my favorite I'd drive it as often as I could. ;)

Questions:

1. How reliable is a DeLorean in a situation like this? I know this is
a somewhat provocative question, so I'll try to explain: I don't have
to do a lot to my Fiero. Oil changes and other regular maintenance,
and once a year or so I'll have to dig in and replace an
alternator/water pump/fix an annoying rattle/etc. Is this the general
case with DeLoreans as well? The assumption is I find one that has
been taken care of.

2. Can I expect a $15-$20k D with under 40k miles to be a like new
vehicle, suitable for use as a daily driver and requiring few repairs
outside of normal maintenance?

3. As cars age, they come up with creaks and rattles and other "old
car" type of annoyances. However, I've never purchased an old car that
also had low miles. Should I expect a "tight" vehicle, so to speak?

4. I understand DeLoreans have problems with u-joints. What can I
expect in this area?

5. Any advice on what to watch / look for when shopping would be great.

My delusion is that I can buy a gently used D as opposed to a gently
used Toyota/Nissan/Chevy/Subaru/typical "boring" cookie-cutter car and
have essentially the same level of day-to-day problems cropping up.
Negating the fact that I can't just drop it off at any service station
(& wouldn't want to, anyway, as I don't even do that with my current
vehicles), is this in any way valid?

Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:40:20 EST
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: John DeLorean's Estate

   Today I was in Bedminster, NJ. I am attending a seminar near there and
drove over to John DeLoreans former estate on my lunch break.  I was curious to
see what remained from my previous visits.  I visited John DeLorean and Kathryn
there about five years ago while it was still the place they called home.
Since then we know he had to leave the property.  When I visited him there it
was an impressive drive up a rock covered road that eventually changed to
pavement.  There were trees and nothing but woods on the drive up.  Eventually you
came up to a grass covered field and see the magnificent Georgian Mansion
sitting to the right.  It was truly an awesome sight.  Since then our club has had
a gathering there after John had left while the house was owned by another
group.  And I visited with the last caretaker there on another occasion.
Presently it is owned by a Donald Trump affiliate.  They are constructing a large
golf course, perhaps two.  Today I saw some people actually golfing there
however it looks as if it is largely unfinished.  The stone pillars that had eagles
on them at the main entrance off Lamington Road are gone.  It now reads Trump
International Golf Club or something like that.

   The drive up is all paved now and the trees are gone.  The golf course
spans almost the whole drive up.  As you approach Johns house it still stands.
The original driveways are all gone and the surrounding trees and landscaping
are gone as well.  The house looks isolated.  There are many crews of workers
both in and around the main house and outbuildings.  It appeared as if they
were renovating the main house and the other buildings but it was in such
disarray it was hard to say for sure.  The house is surrounded by gravel and work
trucks and piles of debris.  Quite different from the days when John was there.
On one hand I was happy to see it appears they are trying to save the main
house and outbuildings.  On the other hand it was sad to see the drastic
difference between John's Lamington Farm as it was when he was there and what it has
become today.  Perhaps I will take some pictures as I will be up there the next
three days.

Gary Gore

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:27:23 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Front end vibration

Travis - Check out your bushings (part number 108912) that connect
the front sway bar to the lower control arm.  The rear pair will
deteriorate over time, leading to an apparent toe-out condition
during braking.  I have seen many cases of these bushings with severe
cracks and disbonding from the steel sleeves.  I really think that
this is worth a look.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:35:58 -0800
From: "murray fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?

Windex

Murray
Vin-05962
Lic-DMC-XII

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:45:28 -0600
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

Nope.  As long as it was correct before it broke, it will be correct after
it's replaced.  The calibration occurs in the speedo itself.

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:36:40 -0500
From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Weird Otter?

Getting off the turnpike today, I noticed my engine getting warmer than I
like.  I pulled over on the ramp, and discovered my cooling fans weren't
running.  Totally forgetting the ability to use the A/C to control my fans,
I jump my otterstat.  My fans now are running, I cool off my car a bit, and
complete my commute.

After a day at work and a quick call to PJ Grady to add a new otterstat to
mt most recent parts order, I am reminded that I can use the A/C to force
the fans on when required.  Confident that I can keep an eye on the temp, I
reconnect my otterstat the way it's supposed to be (to give it a second
chance to behave), and drive home.

Much to my surprise, it all behaves properly for the entire drive...
although the temp seems to hover a bit higher than I am accustomed to, the
fans cut in and out on their own, and I never quite get to the point where I
feel like I need to force the fans on, even in stop-and-go traffic.

Does this sound like a normal failure mode for an otterstat, or was I
perhaps suffering from something simpler like a dirty connection?

Thanks in advance.  Owned the car for like half a year, and I still feel
like a neophyte.
--Scott

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:53:00 -0800 (PST)
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Covering cars on open trailers

Has anyone had good experiences with any particular
brands of car covers that are substantial enough to
use while on a open trailer? I was always afraid that
the cover would break loose or flap enough to scratch
the finish. What about it?
Stve Trimble #3121

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:17:58 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: abysmal BTTF reference...

Interesting article, DeLorean BTTF reference included, but it's an
awful, very distracting one.

http://www.thelantern.com/main.cfm?include=detail&storyid=622492

I'm ashamed in my alma mater's newspaper for letting this otherwise
decent article get to print with such glaring errors. (haha)

The author's e-mail address is at the bottom...Let's all make sure he
knows how to spell DeLorean next TIME around.

-Josh

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:36:35 -0000
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>
Subject: What Transsmission was used in the Delorean? (Manual)

Just wondering what tranny was used in the DMC.  My father used to
maintain a few and I am thinking about contacting some of the
previous owners.

Thanks in Advance,

Aaron
Windsor/Detroit

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 04:24:40 -0000
From: "minox8x11" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Broken bolt... :-(

Well, I removed the entire upper air intake from the engine as well
as all attached systesm (fuel, Air Meter, CPR, Idle speed motor, Freq
Valve) All because I had a broken hose to the frequency valve -
figured I would take the time to do the heater hoses, plugs and
wires, rotor & cap.

the bad thing is that one of the 4 bolts that hold the w pipe to the
front of the intake manifold broke off... I have about 1/4" sicking
out and I fear around 1/2 inside the hole...

help?

Michael

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:36:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Interesting find, DeLorean brake pads.

A few weeks back, when Ken and I met with Fred Dellis
we (of course) got to talking about cars.

I don't remember the details about how we got to
talking about brake pads, but he recommended the
"Rotex" brand.  I took note of it, because I have been
looking for a good high-performance, low dust brake
pad for my SHO.

So, as I am doing my Internet searching for a part
number to use this pad on my SHO (and I still have not
found it), I see that they have them for our
DeLoreans!   Front and Back!

http://www.buybrakes.com/rotex/apps3.html#delorean

Anyone want to give them a try??  If they are as good
as they claim, it may save many hours of cleaning the
grime out of the DeLorean wheels.

If you try them, let us know how they work out...
Brake job is not on my list of things to do in the
near future.

Marc

*NOTE-  I have NO affiliation with Rotex, or the
buybrakes web site (I am sure you can buy the same
pads elsewhere, this is just the first one I found).

http://search.yahoo.com