From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1895
Date: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 1:18 PM

1. Re: NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

2. Otterstat
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

3. lower control arms bent? central PA owners?
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

4. Re: New Products Debut at Pigeon Forge show
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

5. I HAD THE PLEASURE AND OPPORTUNITY!
From: robert reason <kareokekarl_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

7. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. Re: Weird Otter?
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

10. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

11. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

13. Re: What Transsmission was used in the Delorean? (Manual)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. RE: Broken bolt... :-(
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

15. Failed emissions: NOx
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

16. Passenger Mirror Makes Rattling Noise
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

17. RE: Covering cars on open trailers
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Re: Weird Otter?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: lower control arms bent? central PA owners?
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

20. Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com

23. Delorean/BTTF Windows Media Player Skin
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Failed emissions: NOx
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Re: Re: Weird Otter?
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

26. Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:18:01 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: NEW OWNER FINALLY!!!!!!! Question regarding Insurance

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "racaliendo" <RACaliendo_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> My question for the list regards insurance. I'm a 28 year old male
> with a perfect driving record. However, the quotes that I have been
> receiving for insurance would make all of you cry. My current vehicle
> is insured with State Farm, but my agent's office assures me that
> State farm will not insure Deloreans.

Hi Richie,

After reading your message I called my State Farm agent out of
concern, since I plan on buying a DeLorean later this year. I was
assured that it would be "no problem". I informed them that others had
stated DeLoreans are "blacklisted" by State Farm, so she even called
their underwriters just to be sure. The response: "I have no idea why
anyone would say that. We have no problem insuring DeLoreans."

The quote: $336.00 for a 6 month premium. Deductables are $500
collision / $100 for theft or other non-accident damage. I am also in
my late twenties. Only differences between you & I are:

1. I live in Washington State.
2. I am married.
3. My homeowners insurance, two vehicles, and my children's life
insurance is all carried through my State Farm agent.
4. I've been with the agent since I was 16 (with the exception of 3
years in my teens where they dropped me for too many speeding tickets)
 and my parents have been with the agent for at least a decade before
that. Don't know if that gives me special treatment or not.
5. I DO have one accident on my record. NOT my fault, someone ran me
off the road on purpose, but because there was no contact between the
vehicles and no witnesses it was deemed a single car accident. Thus,
"my" fault.
6. They've also agreed to insure the 20' hovercraft I'm building in my
garage, even though *everyone* I've spoken with says "State farm will
not insure hovercraft, period."

My advice, try other State Farm agents. I'm sure someone else would be
happy to take your business.

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:53:13 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Otterstat

I want to know, why is the fan temperature switch always refered to as
an otterstat? In the manuals, it is called a thermostat switch (section
1-3-1 of the parts manual). A search of google for otterstat -dmcnews
-delorean -dmcforum results in a handful of listings and it is all used
as people's last name in german text. Otterstat in german has no meaning
according to http://diction.travlang.com/GermanEnglish. Can anyone tell
me where otterstat started and why everyone keeps using it although it
very much appears to be the improper name?

Samuel

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:20:49 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: lower control arms bent? central PA owners?

Hi,

This may be an obvious question, but on both of my front lower control
arms, on the rear side of them, the metal has a "wavy shape."  Are
they supposed to be like this?

Secondly, I'm going to be on spring break from March 5th until March
14 if any owners in central PA would like to get together for a tech
session or to compare notes.  I like to check out other cars
occasionally because often I find that my car may be missing parts I
never realized were supposed to be there.  Should have nice weather,
too.

thanks!

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:35:38 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: New Products Debut at Pigeon Forge show

Some good news about the Pigeon Forge show.  For those of you
who do not live near a Delorean parts or service vendor, you
will have an opportunity to meet the faces behind the phone
call of most of the Delorean parts and service vendors.  You
will also get a chance to see a lot of new and reproduction
parts and products LIVE and in person.

One of the questions that most Delorean enthusiasts get at
car shows as well as trips to the store, gas station, etc.
is "Hey, where's the Flux Capacitor?".  Well, it's time to
shut up all those people without an original thought.

I have been working on a redesign of the flux capacitor and
will debut the new device in person at the Pigeon Forge show.
There will also be a sneak preview of the device that I will
photograph and make a short video of it in the Raffle Car.

Presenting the new flux capacitor, the Roentgen Accelerator.

Unlike the original flux capacitor concept of 1955 and its
completion in 1985, the new device will display in several
different modes and a few choices of colored light dispersal
displays.  The prototype is currently under-going testing.

Watch for a preview, if we get similar TV coverage this year
with the Roentgen Accelerator in the Raffle Car during the
Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade on Saturday, March 13, 2004 on
either WGN TV (cable) or WLS TV (local Chicago).

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:07:09 -0800 (PST)
From: robert reason <kareokekarl_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: I HAD THE PLEASURE AND OPPORTUNITY!

 TO MEET THE MAN,OF THAT STAINLESS STEEL CAR. CALL THE
THE NOW INFAMOUS DELOREAN, I JUST WANT HIM TO KNOW, IT
WAS FUN AND EXCITING TO GREET HIM AND TO SHAKE HIS
HAND. (I'M HOPING HE IS OKAY),WHERE EVER HE IS. I
REMEMBER MY FIRST TIME SEEING HIM AT THAT GYM, A FEW
YEARS AGO. I DIDN'T  BELIEVE IT AT FIRST, THAT IT WAS
HIM.  UNTIL,OTHER PEOPLE AROUND THE AREA WAS SAYING IT
WAS HIM. SO, I APPROACH HIM AND TOLD HIM THAT MY UNCLE
HAVE ONE OF HIS CARS. AND THAT MY UNCLE WORK AT THE
GMC PLANT IN DELAWARE,FOR 30 YEARS.  HE WAS FLATTER
AND START TO SMILE THAT I TOLD HIM THAT. MY EMOTIONS
CAME OVER ME,AND I  STARTED TO STUTTER, AND FEEL
WITHRDRAWN LIKE A SHY LITTLE KID. I COULDN'T BELEIVE I
WAS ACTUALLY TALKING TO A CELEBRITY AND SITTING RIGHT
NEXT TO HIM. I CALL MY UNCLE THAT NIGHT, AND TOLD HIM.
HE SAID,(YEAH RIGHT),I SAID REALLY IT WAS HIM. MY
UNCLE BELONG TO THIS CLUB THEY HAD GOING. YEARS AGO,
WHERE ALL THE OWNERS OF THE DELOREAN,WOULD MEET. MY
UNCLE ALSO HAD A BLUE PRINT OF THE CAR. AND HE DROVE
ME AROUND IN IT A FEW TIMES. JUST WANT JOHN TO KNOW,
ALSO THAT MY UNCLE IS NOW DISABLE AND HE CANNOT GET
AROUND AS MUCH. SO THAT CAR IS JUST SITTING IN HIS
GARAGE, PROBABLY RUSTING. I WISH I COULD TAKE MR.
DELOREAN DOWN TO MEET MY UNCLE IN DELAWARE, IT WOULD
BE A DREAM COME TRUE FOR HIM. AND TO HELP LIFT HIS
SPIRITS A BIT, ALSO MY UNCLE JUST CAME OUT OF A BITTER
DIVORCE. (AFTER 40 YEARS OF MARRIAGE). SORRY TO TELL
SOME BITTERNESS IN MY LIFE, BUT WE ALL GO THRU IT ONE
WAY OR ANOTHER. BEFORE I GO,I WANT TO TELL MR.
DELOREAN THANK HIM AGAIN FOR SIGNING THAT PICTURE I
FOUND OF HIM. AND HOW MUCH HE HAS INSPIRE ME. AND I'LL
NEVER FORGET WHEN HE SAID TO (KEEP YOURSELF
MOTIVATED). I'M STILL SEARCHING FOR MY DREAM AND I
KNOW YOU ARE TOO! THANK YOU KINDLY SIR! AND HAPPY
BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU! (1-6-25). GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS.........

http://search.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:48:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?

To be even more specific, foaming windex in a can. I have yet to find anything that works better, and it's ultra affordable!

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- "murray fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net> wrote:
Windex

Murray
Vin-05962
Lic-DMC-XII

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:27:24 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Covering cars on open trailers

Don't use a cover on an open trailer it will just rub the finish.  You are
better off using nothing.

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:34:37 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Make sure to buy a cover specifically designed for trailer use,
otherwise you'll find it gets ripped. Speaking from experience here.

Martin

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:36:58 -0500
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: Weird Otter?

I had a similar experience. I changed the otterstat and I haven't had any
problems since.

Eric Itzel

From: "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: [DML] Weird Otter?

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:26:56 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Steve,

You are absolutely right about what will happen with car covers.  I have
towed my car twice to shows and both times the covers flapping in the
wind and tearing damaged the finish and resulted in $500 worth of paint
repair.

I have not be able to find a cover that will not do this.   The only
choice, like new cars shipped across the country in open trailer with no
cover.  Then spending a day cleaning the car on both ends of the trip.
 Or the more expensive -closed trailer.

Bob

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:15:17 -0500
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Two examples to share on this subject.

I have a cousin that purchased a bra for his Camaro.  It flapped a little
and proceeded to not only remove the paint but gouge a deep grove into the
fiberglass hood.  You could not see the damage until the bra was removed.

On my pickup I had a loose tarp and it buffed the paint nicely in several
places.  So now I need several hundred dollars of repairs to correct the
damage.

I know stainless is not paint or fiberglass but you would be surprised what
a little dirt can do when massaged into a surface.  Be careful.

Ed

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:19:09 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

State Farm has insured my DeLorean since 1981 for my Father who was the
first owner and then for me, the second owner.
I also was given a Guaranteed policy renewal certificate for as long as I
own the car.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA
DOC-UK 357 Magnum
DOA

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:58:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: What Transsmission was used in the Delorean? (Manual)

Renault

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:08:29 -0500
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Broken bolt... :-(

You need some broken bolt removers. I used the ones they sell at sears...
it's similar to this:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&p
id=00952165000

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:23:32 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Failed emissions: NOx

Never had any emissions problems before with my D, but a week ago I failed
for NOx. The usual culprits, I'm told, are the lambda sensor or the cat. conv.
The sensor is only about 2 years old, so presumably ok. Not a good time
budget-wise to replace the cat on an otherwise good running, good sounding (&
smelling) car. Anybody had any success with engine additives, just to get me thru
inspection?  Or is NOx not something you can resolve other than by replacing the
cat? :(

Wayne A. Ernst
11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:29:51 EST
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Passenger Mirror Makes Rattling Noise

Hey all,
     I recently discovered just what is making my car rattle, and it is
inside of the passenger side mirror I believe.   Has anyone else had this problem?
 Any ideas on how to go about fixing it?   I plan on popping the piece off of
the bottom and seeing if there are any bolts in there to tighten up, but
should I look for anything else?

Patrick

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:32:42 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

I would not worry about scratching the finish but wearing the paint on the
fascia. That cover rubbibg on it could quickly wear the paint. I wouldn't do
it!

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 00:35:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You might also need a new circuit breaker for the cooling fans. Check
all the electrical connections that they are clean and tight. Get rid
of the bypass wire and the blue fan relay. You may need a new
otterstadt too. Always replace the seal. You could also have air in
the system because of coolant leaks. Pressurize to 15 psi and watch it
for 15 min.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott McMullan" <mcmullas_at_dml_b...> wrote:

> Getting off the turnpike today, I noticed my engine getting warmer
than I
> like.  I pulled over on the ramp, and discovered my cooling fans weren't
> running.  Totally forgetting the ability to use the A/C to control
my fans,

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:36:16 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: lower control arms bent? central PA owners?

Alot of deloreans have damage on the lower control arm on the rear side
due to being towed at that point and the metal bending. Other things
usually seen are tow hooks broken loose and bends in the crumple tube
due to trying to attach to it.

Samuel

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:39:54 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

Ryan and others whom are looking to purchase their first Delorean:  I
have uploaded a file called Owning an Orphan in the files section.

It was mostly typed up by Karl-Franz Marquez of the Lotus Fact File.
www.espritfactfile.com.  I made a few changes to it so it would
reflect the Delorean a little better.

This document outlines some of the basic truths of a Delorean and is
aimed at the prosective buyer. It's a good reality-check for those
interested in purchasing a Delorean.

If anyone feels that there is anything wrong with it, or if I may be
in error, let me know.

Johnny
5518

Hi Folks,

I've wanted a DeLorean as long as I can remember, and now find myself
in a financial situation to buy one later this year. My questions
here involve reliability & maintenance.

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:30:49 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I wouldn't do it. I've seen, and heard of, too many instances of
damage to finishes from the slightest flapping. The longer the drive
the greater the risk.

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:36:46 EST
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com

The worst thing that you can do is cover a car on an open trailer while it is
in motion. Any cover ever made will damage the vehicle's finish by beating
against it in the wind created by towing it at highway speeds. It is much easier
to clean the car after arrival.

Brian McCabe & Harvey (5830)
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:20:41 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean/BTTF Windows Media Player Skin

Hey All:

My wife found this for me today at work. Its a Back to the Future Skin
for Windows Media Player. Apologize in advance if this has been posted
previously.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9Series/GettingStarted/Personalization/Skins.asp?page=4&lookup=Skins

Thanks,
Ej

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:45:29 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Failed emissions: NOx

NJ - If the machine was not hooked up correctly or not calibrated
correctly you could get an incorrect reading. Assuming the machine
was correct - high NO could be caused by a sticky injector throttle
plate, stopped up injectors and even a clogged fuel filter, or stuck
frequency valve. High NO can be from a leaned fuel condition. A
failed O2 sensor usually results in a defaulted rich condition, so I
would not automatically go for the O2 sensor. Vacuum leaks at the
injector seals might do it or a vacuum leak at the idle tube port on
the underside of the intake manifold might cause a lean condition. A
bad Cat? Maybe - how many miles? Over 50,000? Has it ever been
overheated for a long time? Is it clogged and choking the engine
(the usual condition resulting in high NO)?

I would check ALL the seals at the injectors and idle tube and
electrical connections around the Lambda, the frequency valve, etc.
Clean them and be sure of good connections. Then, get a can of
Marvel Mystery Oil and run a tank of gas with at least the
recommended concentration on the can. This stuff has a great solvent
in it that cleans fuel systems like nothing else, especially when
warm. The Bosch K-Jetronic is a recirculating system which is
perfect for this type of cleaning. It can clean the fuel system like
new and NOT harm any seals or other stuff. I have used it for 20
years. Last year, 2003, in NJ, my D at 53,000 passed with HC 21,
CO .09, CO2 15.3, and NO 590. Ten years earlier in FL the same
engine with existing tune-up that was fresh then, read HC 2, CO .02,
CO2 15.0 and NO was not read. It has 36,000 miles on that last tune
so I had to unplug the Lambda light :-). I have over 40,000 on the
tune now. I attribute a lot of the clean condition to keeping the
fuel system treated periodically with Marvel MO. It runs great - but
I am getting ready to do the tune-up before the trip to PF in June.
I am wondering if it will run as clean after the tune up.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:11:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Weird Otter?

David, I think I remember a posting of yours where you advised the addition of an overflow recovery bottle on the hose under the pressure cap. With limited space in the engine compartment where do you advise placing it?  Is there an aftermarket brand you know of that works well. Thanks, Rod Dillman VIN 10921

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 05:16:01 -0000
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car

This doesn't have really anything to do with the Delorean, but since
it is Volvo, and it is a new gullwing car on the horizon, it is
worth a look. This is the gullwing sports car designed by the women
who work at Volvo. So maybe we'll have two Gullwing cars with Volvo
heritage in them soon?

Here's a link to some interesting photos

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
g=events/ts/030204volvoycc&a=&tmpl=sl&ns=&l=1&e=1&a=0

Thought people here might find this interesting. Its like the female
version of the Delorean, literally.

Joe