From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1897
Date: Thursday, March 04, 2004 9:42 AM

1. Carfax account
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

2. Re: Owners manual
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Electrical question
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. HOOD WANTED
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Owners manual
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

6. RE: Digest Number 1895
From: "Chris Tanner" <chris.tanner_at_dml_webhelp.com>

7. Re: Weird Otter?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Re: Electrical question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Electrical question
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

12. Re: Owners manual
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

13. Re: Electrical question
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

14. RE: Owners manual
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: smoke
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

17. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Top end restoration and comparison photo preview
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Covering cars on open trailers
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

20. Re: Re: Failed emissions: NOx
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Re: Failed emissions: NOx
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

22. RE: Re: smoke
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. Renault 5 speed Gearboxes for sale
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>

24. Re: HOOD WANTED
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>

26. Re: Failed emissions: NOx
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:45:17 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Carfax account

If anybody has a open carfax account and can run a vin # for me please
contact me off the list at dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com

Thanks
Mark

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:42:52 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Owners manual

Check at www.dmcnews.com, specifically the "files" link. There is a
PDF owner's manual there. Your mirror answer is in there too.

Hard copies available from the usual vendors.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> I would like to acquire an owners manual for my newly acquired
DeLorean.  If

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:48:39 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical question

Get a real voltmeter - the one on the dash is not very accurate. This
will tell you if you really have a problem.

Check and clean all the grounds, especially the two up front hear the
radiator supports. Clean the contacts on all the fuses and relays in
the electrical compartment.

Upgrade the alternator. The Autozone/Delco 110A swap is cheap and
easy, there are other vendor-supplied upgrades if you can't figure
out the Delco thing.

When everything is cleaned up, the electrical system is fine. A lot
of what you see/hear is part of the "22-year-old-car" issue.

You're right about one thing - don't spend the money on the CD player
until the car is running right. No point in a CD player installed in
a car you can't drive. Unless you like sitting in the driveway
listening to music.

Dave

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:59:05 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: HOOD WANTED

I NEED A HOOD w/lines or flap for a good price!

For those of you who know, I wrecked #5278.
The front fascia, lights, housings, brackets, LF fender and hood were
all damaged.
The fiberglass under body was also damaged.
As soon as I am finished with the restoration I will write
a huge article with detailed photos describing how I did it.
We had to cut out the whole left front peice and recrate it
and re-attatch it and smooth it out.

My buddy who helped me with everything happened to be in
Houston so I towed the car down there from Dallas.
I also needed a new windshield so I dropped by DMCH for that.
With the installation it was almost $600.
While I was there and did some price comparisons I decided to
just get all new factory replacement peices.
I had been offered "refurbished" facias by lots of people,
but by the time I pay for shipping and hope they are undamaged when
they arrive, I figured it was worth it to go ahead and get a brand new
one that I could inspect and take with me.
By the time I left after hanging out with Steve Wynn almost 4 hours,
I had spent $2500.00!!!!
Oh well, I have all new parts and a lot of goodies, and I got to hang
out in the mecca of DeLoreans.

So far my LF fender is being repaired by a body man friend of mine,
from I have seen of what he has done, I think it will be fine.

All I need now is a hood.
If you have one, can crate it up and ship it safely please
let me know ASAP.

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:56:03 -0500
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

I believe Houston sells replicas and they are on ebay all the time....

good luck
Mike C

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:10:57 -0500
From: "Chris Tanner" <chris.tanner_at_dml_webhelp.com>
Subject: RE: Digest Number 1895

Hi There,

I'm a long time list lurker. For covering a car on a trailer, what about
using shrink plastic, the sort that's used to store boats for the winter?
You wrap up whatever you want to protect, and torch the plastic so it
shrinks. I've also seen this done with boats being shipped by truck, so I'd
imagine it's quite effective.

Cheers,
Chris Tanner
# someday

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:10:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Weird Otter?

You are correct, I have recomended adding a "Coolant Recovery Bottle".
I added mine by hooking a hose to the barb under the presssure cap on
the header bottle and running the hose across the back of the motor.
My bottle is mounted to a bolt on the left rear pontoon just ahead of
the cover for the vapor canister. An overflow hose from the bottle
just goes straight down. Get a bottle that holds at least 3 quarts, 4
is better. The Delorean has a large volume of coolant so it will
expand and contact more than an average car. Fill it so that when cold
there is just enough to cover the input fitting otherwise when the
engine is hot it will overflow. Have the pressure cap tested or just
replace it, if it leaks it will not draw the coolant back into the
header bottle. The irony of all this is that I read where JZD got a
patent on this way back when but this system was never installed on
his car. I guess it must have had something to do with cost. This has
become the industry standard on most new cars since around 1990. The
major advantages are that it reduces the air in the system so there is
less corrosion and foaming, and you can inspect the fluid level even
when hot (a real plus when you put the metal header bottle on). I just
went into an auto store and found one that I thought would fit. It is
kind of square, I just think the plastic is too thin. An O.E.M. piece
wwould be more substantial if anyone can find one that fits and looks
like it belongs.

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:12:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?

I was going to stay out of this discussion simply
because it has come up so often in the past.  However,
 let me simply say that I have tried at least 3 dozen
different products in my 21 years of DeLorean
ownership and I invariably come back to soap and water
and/or windex.  EVERY other product I've tried leaves
a film that actually makes fingerprints and dust
worse.

FWIW, I am currently experimenting with yet another
new product that, if it lives up to its claims, may
just be what we have all been looking for.  It will be
a couple of months before I can give a meaningful
report.

Dick Ryan

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:57:49 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car

I've seen this car come up from time to time here on the list, and in other publications.
And I can tell you now, this car is going to be a nightmare for Volvo on many fronts.

I'd feel safer in a Jeep with no doors, than riding around in this thing. All the prototypes
keep using single striker pins on the bottom, and none have safety latches/catches on the
doors to prevent opening durring an impact (you'll see these on Chevy Beretta upper B
pillars, and simular models This design will allow the door to fly open (like Chrysler
minivan hatches did when impacted), or worse yet, allow the occupant to shift part, or all
off thier head or shoulder out of the open door jam before the door rebounds back into
place. So now you can see the real safety advantage of having 2 striker pins on the
DeLorean.

The other problem that Volvo is going to run into will be a huge one with their publicity.
Dumbing down a car's features, and limiting it's repairs to only "certified mechanics"
because of women is not a good idea. It basicly sends the message that since women don't
work on cars, they don't need to be able to repair their own. And the features themselves
are quite suspect as well. Don't be surprised if many feminists groups take exception, and
vocalize their opposition to Volvo over this one. This kind of marketing didn't work well
for Nissan and their X-Terra campaign in "urban" markets, and this kind of "Lifestyle
Engineering" approach ruined the Pontiac Aztec. For a prototype car that Volvo may be
looking to bring to market, they're hardly off to a good start.

If you want to build a car, seperate prospects by age groups, intended enviornment, and
income. NOT by gender and lifestyle.

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:21:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Although the electrical system is a source of many problems they are
easily correctable. As Hank says you must do some maintaince like
cleaning ground connections. Your best bet is to talk to one of the
venders and get the relay update which includes some circuit breakers
and relays. Have the battery cleaned and tested. Have the alternator
tested. Clean all the "big" connections on the battery, starter, and
alternator. Clean ALL the ground connections. If you still have the
Ducey alternator replace it with a Delco or Motorola. I happen to like
the Fanzilla so I recomend it (it reduces the huge surge when both
fans turn on). Pull every fuse, clean, test the connections and verify
that it is the correct size for it's position. Leave the plastic cover
off the fuse block. Make sure the inertia switch is on the cowl and
has a white paint mark. If the battery dies after a couple of days
find what is killing it and put a master switch on the battery. If the
battery is over 5 years old replace it. Make sure the belt on the
alternator is not loose.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Henry" <henry_at_dml_i...> wrote:

> My car (#1619) had similar electrical problems.  I had all the
grounds connections cleaned and tightened, fuses replaced, fanzilla
and lockzilla installed, new battery, updated Delco alternator, and other

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:35:40 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Sounds as if your alternator is malfunctioning-not putting out enough
voltage- maybe it is time to replace. I had similar problems with my
DeLorean, I couldn't even drive at night because when I had the lights
on it would drain so much voltage the engine had trouble accelerating.
I got a new 130 amp alternator from SpecialTAuto and all my electrical
concerns are pretty much over, I can drive at night with the lights,
AC and everything else on and the engine performs nicely-gauge reads
right around 12, sometimes a little lower, sometimes little higher.
Have your alternator tested, then you can determine what to do next.
Dan Benedek, #5003

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:02:23 -0700
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

http://www.dmcnews.com/files.html  for a view only online version. Check
out the whole site, as the tech section has some great articles for new owners.

http://www.usadmc.com/gift_ideass/owners_manual.asp  Note that you get a
repro manual along with the repro cover so everything looks authentic. Get
used to checking out this site as well as all the vendors!

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:10:05 -0700
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

I wouldn't call the whole electrical system a piece of crap, although
certain areas are bad. How early is your car? If real early you may still
have the Ducellier alternator. The later Motorola was better, but still not
spectacular.

Check on a new high-output alternator from one of the vendors. A number of
them have an AC Delco replacement that bolts right in and puts out more
amperage than the stock one. Personally, I do watch out for the ones that
are re-wound for very high amperage. This can sometimes end up with heat
induced failure. But look over the choices and pick what you like.

Also be sure that your relay compartment is completely updated. Get a kit
from one of the vendors and clean all the connections while you are in
there. Also clean the connections where the battery cables connect to the
frame and the starter. These spots are known to corrode and can limit the
amount of current you get to the rest of the car.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:45:32 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

They are inexpensive from DMC-Houston, and come with a repo valet.

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:46:18 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: smoke

It seems the oil sensors on the DeLorean were not calibrated
correctly, it is not odd to see an oil gauge blast past 80 and stay
there when you are driving, but I do not believe the engine is really
creating 80psi of pressure-should really be creating more around 40
give or take. It will also bounce up and down, mine goes
from 40 to 60, or sometimes 20 to 40 when the car is idling. Just
check the dipstick if you are concerned about oil level. Also white
smoke could mean that your water pump is leaking coolant on the block
under the manifold, which means the coolant will sit on the block
until it gets hot enough to boil away. You can determine what is going
on by the smell of the smoke, there is a distinct smell for oil
burning and a distinct smell of coolant burning-way different from
eachother. Do you notice your coolant level lower? Oil level lower?
-Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:56:46 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

Johnny,

Thank you for the response. Now, how much of this is really accurate?

I confess: I read this info at the Lotus Fact File a couple of months
ago. In my quest for a new car I've been back and forth between
several vehicles and the Esprit is one of them. I decided against it
due to parts pricing (example: a new engine is over $40,000).

A DeLorean is nothing like an Esprit. The engine is standard and parts
for it are readily available at your local auto supply store, from my
understanding. True, there are parts that you can't just go out and
buy: Interior pieces, body panels, odds and ends. However, the stuff
that makes the car drive and requires regular maintenance - your
engine, transmission, etc - is easily located. Is this not correct?

Parts for a Lotus engine, on the other hand, are NOT available at the
local auto supply store.

I've been driving Pontiac Fieros for a decade now. Maintenance is
minimal; it's what you expect out of a used car. Certain parts cannot
be purchased new but all of the mechanicals - things that you can
expect to replace eventually - are readily available as aftermarket
parts. Since it's an older, somewhat unique car, mechanics hate it so
you end up doing the work yourself if you want it done right at any
reasonable price. If I bought a 30k mile Fiero today that had been
driven and maintained (not stored and left to rot), I'd have
essentially a brand new car with some minor inconveniences and no
problem finding most of what I need to keep it on the road.

I am under the assumption that a $15-20k DeLorean would be,
essentially, the same thing: A brand new car with some minor
inconveniences. Nothing like a Lotus where a new alternator will run
you >$500 and have to be shipped from God knows where.

Are my assumptions accurate? Or have I completely missed something here?

-Ryan

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:06:26 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Covering cars on open trailers

Best bet,If you really want to use a Car  Cover on a Delorean on a
Trailer,while transporting(which is a good idea,as it keeps you safe
from the gaukers,and(Debris,sun,rock chips,ect).from running you off
the road,is to either put a Bra on the nose(if you are one of the few
that has one) or put a movers blanket(one of those lightweight ones
you get when you rent a movers truck) over the rubber nose to keep it
from contact with the fascia.Then put on the Car cover.Just make sure
you do not have it loose under the cover.You might be able to tuck
part of it into the front Bonnet,the other part under the car.That
will keep chafing  off the Fascia.

P.S. I would also suggest to put a movers blanket under the cover,and
on the Windshield,(which could be held down by the bonnet and the
top/sides of the doors.again to keep your expensive windshield"safe"
The other plus side of this is that it keeps debris away from your
lights/radiator/condenser ect.

Claude
former owner

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:15:35 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Top end restoration and comparison photo preview

Hello all,

   As the project including several HOWTO's nears
completion, I though Id post the outcome from the top
end rebuild.  This one is in a gallery format.  Each
individual piece was either cleaned and restored or
replaced (mostly just bolts hoses and seals required
replacing).  What thew gallery shows it the end result
built on the dining room table.

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/gallery/tabletop/index.html

Also, a comparison before and after has been provided
to highlight some of the work

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/delorean/Comparison.html

Feedback is always greatly appreciated.

enjoy

Jordan

http://search.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:37:20 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

Thought of another way of having the car covered while in motion,is
to have  the movers blankets on the sensitive areas,THEN A TIGHT
Fitting cover on the car(which means tighted down REALLY tight),to
protect it from the Buffing,Then ANOTHER cover on top of that
cover,that SHOULD keep any buffing from occuring on the car.Does that
sound Do able.I am assuming that the bottom C.Cover will Not Flap,(if
it is REALLY tight Fitting over/on the car)and the exterior one will
only flap,against,the other cover instead of the finish.
Well at the least,if the car cover should blow off your car is still
Covered!!

Claude
F.O.
22yrs.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:03:19 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Failed emissions: NOx

robinsonl002_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com writes:

> Could be a simple matter of cleaning injectors or changing
> spark plugs to a lower heat range.  I believe if the "cat" is shot,
> your hydrocarbon count (raw fuel vapor) would be high.

Thanks for your comments.  I've had new Bosch plugs on the shelf for 2
years... guess it's time I put them in. The HC count is low: 13.  Their "standard"
is 173.  So maybe that's the confirmation that the cat is not at fault. I'll
also clean the system with an additive, as another owner suggested.  Replacing
my fuel filter couldn't hurt. The new one is on the shelf next to the plugs!
:-p

Wayne

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:04:05 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 3/3/04 2:26:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

> how many miles? Over 50,000? Has it ever been
> overheated for a long time?

Thanks for the comments Harold.  I didn't realize you're in NJ.  Never
overheated that I know of.  Rob worked on the exhaust gaskets 2 years ago and there
were no visible problems with the cat at that time. No fuel tank issues since
then.  It's my daily driver, fairly low miles.  (Which I believe are true
miles since the NCT's had little wear when I replaced them about 2 years ago.) The
NOx reading was1404, (1323 is the "standard," by which I assume they mean max
acceptable.)  Aside from that, my reading were great... even lower than
yours. I'll try the MMO.

Wayne

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:03:20 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: smoke

Dan & Darryl
Bad ones do read 80 + and were never calibrated correctly to read oil
pressure. You also will get different pressure with different oil viscosity.
20-40 is the normal oil to use and with the correct oil pressure gauge that
works correct like mine you will get correct pressure. With our unit and the
correct oil you will read just below 80lb's normal and around 30+ lb's hot
and at idle. Again, oil viscosity has a lot to do with it.

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:20:21 -0000
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>
Subject: Renault 5 speed Gearboxes for sale

For sale R18/Fuego 5 speed for use in Delorean...  shifts well... no
balking.  Must be opened up and gear reversed to use in Delorean.

Great Box... pictures available, additional info also available upon
request.

$300 US plus shipping

Aaron
Windsor/Detroit
atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca

Will also consider a DMC project that needs a tranny and engine work
for reasonable money

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:17:18 -0000
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: HOOD WANTED

Bob, how'd you wreck it? And if you are looking for a hood for a
good price, and want one in great shape, I'd just go with one of
houston's hoods from the 83's. I knwo people waiting months trying
to get a gas flap hood, or grooved line hood. You might want to ask
Josh Hadleman here on the list as he has several parts D's right
now, and maybe he'll have a lined hood, but he has been trying to
buy my gas flap hood for a year, no one want to part with the gas
flap hood. Best of luck. Was the accident your fault or someone
else's.

Joe

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:30:59 -0000
From: "Aaron" <atsudds_at_dml_cogeco.ca>

I am afraid you are wrong about the Lotus and fooling yourself about
the Delorean... The Lotus also uses many standard engine and
transmission parts... not to mention just about everything else...
low volume cars cannot justify everything being custom designed
parts.

As you see with the Porsche/Audi Volkswagen and to a greater extent
maybe Delorean and Renault the Lotus Renault relationship was also
strong as well as with many other UK car manufacturers...

With any exotic you just need to know where to look for the parts
you need.

Delorean maintenance is not cheap as evidenced by the number of
truely horrid examples out there...

Aaron

Windsor, Onatrio

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:40:30 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Failed emissions: NOx

One thing I didn't mention that can have a significant effect on NO
levels is the timing - especially inadequate advance. Be sure the
vacuum advance module is not leaking or a vacuum hose disconnected,
cracked, etc..