From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1898
Date: Thursday, March 04, 2004 2:06 PM

1. RE: fuel lines
From: service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com

2. RE: Electrical question
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

4. drivers door problem
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Owners Manual
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

6. Corey and your '81 DeLo in KY, PLUS newbie needs tips from other DML'ers!
From: "composerphacia" <ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

8. RE: Top end restoration and comparison photo preview
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:15:03 -0500
From: service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com
Subject: RE: fuel lines

I'm looking for good set of Delorean Stainless Steel fuel lines
other then buying them from Texas. And does any one know if these
High Energy coils and ignition system do anything for performance to
PRV engines and are they worth doing or does it make things worse
 I changed my brake line to stainless and didn't see any big changes
and some say cross drilled rotors have less fade but more noise.
would like some input from all.

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:54:11 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Electrical question

Trey, If you are down to 10 volts you need to call me discuss all the
problems that could be causing this besides just the grounds. Yes it can be
very much improved.

From: Trey Brown [mailto:treybpd3_at_dml_hotmail.com]
Subject: [DML] Electrical question

Hey Everybody.

I know that one of the most common gripes about our cars is the
electrical system.  Basically, it's a piece of crap.  Is there any
way to improve the Delorean's electrical system.

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:00:20 -0600
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

>> A DeLorean is nothing like an Esprit. >>

Ryan,

The DeLorean is even less like a Fiero.  I've been known to say that the
DeLorean is *not at all* like the Fiero, except that the engine is behind
the drivers head.  Now on the other hand, Lotus did a great deal of the
engineering for the DeLorean (like the entire suspension), so saying the
Esprit is nothing like the DeLorean is inaccurate.  Compare the DeLorean
chassis to a similar year Esprit and you'll see what I mean.

I certainly don't want to discourage you, but what Johnny wrote is quite
accurate.  You are correct that most of the parts are less expensive, but
expect to buy a lot of them initially.  The most important point is the
"passion."  If you don't have it, you will hate this car.  It will leave you
stranded if you haven't studied it.   Learn as much as you can and don't
expect that parts (even for the engine and transmission) are easily
available at you local parts store.  Some things can be cross-referenced,
but many can not.  Studying the car will help you differentiate.  Expect all
the of things that Johnny wrote, and you won't be disappointed.

The best thing I can recommend you've already done: read this list.  Learn
as much as you can about the car and its issues before you buy one so you
don't neglect something that will end up costing you more money.  Expect to
sink some cash initially, and it will become reliable.  Go to some DeLorean
gatherings and talk to the owners.  If you feel comfortable with the car,
buy one!  It's one hell of a ride, and the group would love you have you.

For me and 1063,

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 05:28:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: drivers door problem

Hello list,

my car has developed a door problem
my inner door molding came loose near the front of the
car on the drivers side.
after reattaching the inner door molding, if I lock
then unlock my door when I go to open the door
(drivers side) my door does not unlatch on the front
end.. once I am able to get the door open by
manipulating the inner and outer door handles.. the
door will open and close fine as long as it remains
UNLOCKED.. but as soon as I lock the door again, If I
unlock the door I have the same problem all over again
with the door not unlatching on the front end.  Any
help or suggestions in this matter would be
appreciated

thanks

-Chris

http://search.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:40:40 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Owners Manual

    I wish to thank everyone that responded to my search for an owner's
manual.

    I followed the recommendation to order a reprint from Houston for $24.95
plus shipping.

Best regards,
Roland Smith
6667
Oakland, California

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:19:53 -0000
From: "composerphacia" <ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Corey and your '81 DeLo in KY, PLUS newbie needs tips from other DML'ers!

Corey,

It's William F. from SW Florida, my e-mail address is ComposerZelgadis
(AT)aol(DOT)com.  I've been trying to get in touch with you for the
past week, and I've heard nothing from you.  Thus, I am forced to
conclude that you are not receiving my e-mails, either because of
spam filters, AOL's not-so-reliable e-mail servers, simple
overlooking of e-mails (admit it, we've all done it at some
point :D), or a combination of all three.  I suppose it's also
possible you've simply been busy living the dream, and haven't had
the chance to check your e-mail.  ;)

Just in case you haven't received my past e-mails, I'll re-say pretty
much everything I had said before.

When I asked for pictures of ''every last square inch'' of your
DeLorean's frame, this was not meant *literally.*  You could call it
a personality flaw on my part, but ''every last square inch'' is a
phrase I use rather commonly, and is not always meant in the literal
sense.  What I was *really* after, is just an idea of how your frame
looks and its general condition.  You mentioned that Steve Wynne
examined your frame, and said it was pretty good.  If Wynne said it,
then it's good enough for me.

Also, you had asked why I wanted pictures of the oil filler cap's
screen and the fusebox.  These were pretty much low-priority items.
DML, do correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that if the engine
has ever overheated badly, that the screen would show signs of it,
specifically in the form of warping, burnt marks, etc.  I was also
told to look out for melted terminals and whatnot in the fusebox.
Because I cannot inspect the car first-hand, I would like to get
pictures of all those little things that I would normally just
casually inspect for myself.

Now, here's some questions aimed specifically at the DML and its
members:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty much a DeLorean newbie.  I've read
lots of technical documents, do's and don'ts lists, seen plenty of
diagrams, heard stories told from first-hand experience, read plenty
of history on the car, etc etc.  Still, though... I do not feel
confident in my knowledge.  I've also been hearing some horror
stories of cars that were wrecked over seemingly simple things
(trailing arm bolts, anyone?).  I never would've thought in a million
years to check those bolts.  One of my main concerns are, what other
known issues are out there that can be catastrophic to the car?  And
how do we know there aren't more to be discovered?  Granted, a 23
year old car probably shouldn't have *too* many surprises, but you
never know... DeLoreans are DeLoreans.  ;)

Plus, there's the countless documented experiences of these cars
leaving local mechanic shops in worse condition than how they drove
in!  To quote Owning an Orphan, ''...as an owner, the DeLorean is
totally dependant on you.''  Then there's also a quote from another
owner on the DML ''...you have to really, really love the car because
it will try as hard as it can to make you hate it.''  In contrast, I
heard that DeLoreans--when the bugs were worked out--were
exceptionally reliable cars.  Of course, ''when the bugs are worked
out'' can encompass a great many things.  And that's pretty much what
I'd like to discuss with you.

This car will be my primary means of transportation.  The fact that
it's a two-seater with limited cargo space is no problem.  Two seats
is all I'll ever need.  And I don't plan to carry heavy or bulky
cargo with me.  Since this car will be a daily driver, going to and
from work, some weekend cruising, and wherever else I need to be, I
need to know exactly what I'm getting myself into.  I have no qualms
about ''paying my dues'' to the car.  Maintenance--costly maintenance-
-is to be expected.  And while it no doubt varies from car to car,
just how much maintenance is generally needed on a $15K DeLorean?
I'm assuming there's a basic pattern here with these cars.

And for the record, I am going to state that I *do* have back-up
means of transportation.  I live in a fairly quiet town.  I have
never heard of a car stolen here, or anything of the sort.  Nor have
I heard many cases of vandalism.  The car will be fully equipped with
plenty of security (LoJack, passive-alarms, and things like these).
So security should not be an issue when using this car as a daily
driver.

Upon delivery of the car, what are the things I should do first
before considering it a ''reliable, daily driver?''

And more over, I need a DeLorean mechanic in or near Louisville, KY.
A very experienced and knowledgable owner will do nicely, as well!
S/he must know the DeLorean, inside and out, and all the critical
areas to examine.  Needless to say, I'd like them to give it a real
good test drive.  Check gear-shifting.  Head out on the highway, and
see how she sounds and handles at highway speeds.  Listen for any odd
noises you haven't heard before, or anything that should be out of
the ordinary.  Examine the undercarriage, and the engine bay.  Give
me a full report on your findings.

If I am to understand Corey Stup's e-mails correctly (and do correct
me if I'm wrong, Corey!), his car and its original owner had been in
Houston, and the D was serviced by DMCH while it was there.  The car
left Houston in (I believe) 12/99.  I'm going to assume it hasn't
been serviced there since.  Corey seems like a real good guy.  A
straight-shooter.  Still, though.  My mind would be so much more at
ease if a good DeLorean mechanic gave it a thorough inspection.  I
would, of course, gladly compensate for said mechanic's time and
experience.  Since AOL's mail servers have been pretty quirky as of
late, your best bet might be replying here instead to contact me(in
my original post, I had asked for a reply directly to my e-mail... I
see now that that was not the best choice).

I will state again for the record that I understand full-well that
the DeLorean will need far more attention, money, TLC, and devotion
than a Honda, Saturn, Hyundai, or any other ''today'' car.  I have no
qualms about going the extra philosophical miles to pamper and
properly maintain this car.  I do, however, have problems diving head-
first into waters without knowing how deep--or how shallow--they
are!  I need to know exactly what I'm getting myself into here--or at
least a very good picture--to determine whether or not it's within my
realm.

*All* advice on *any* aspect of the car--no matter how seemingly
insignificant--will be of great importance to me.  I thank you all
for your time and attention.  I know this post was rather lengthy.  I
look forward to reading the replies, and the knowledge and the
insight within.

Thank you.

Regards,
William F.

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:01:56 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

>From my experience, it's all accurate.  True, my car has hardly any
problems, (execpt the angle drive just went south three days ago),
but I have had some issues.  I'm behind the wheel more than I am
under the hood.  However, I did purchase mine from someone who
rebuilds classic/exotic cars for a living and he had two D's in his
eight-car garage.

When my speedo stopped it made me realize, "Well, nobody else is
gonna fix it and I certainly don't trust anyone to, so I guess that
means it's up to me."

Sure you can get some parts locally, but I don't bother taking any
chances with something I haven't tried before.  I know that I'm
guaranteed to get it right by ordering from the vendors.  Besides,
they can always use the business.

What that letter is saying, is don't expect to just buy and drive
like you would expect a Honda or a Toyota.  I really can't tell you
how many times I've been stopped and heard how much "I want one" from
sombody who probably wouldn't care if it did rot in their driveway.

I've read as many posts about people wanting to buy a D as I've
heard.  I just felt it would be good to give a reality-check to those
who are interested.  Yes, it's just a car, but I would hate to hear
someone get one to just find out that it has more issues than Time
magazine.

By all means, get your Delorean and enjoy it.

Johnny
5518

BTW: Letter was reprinted/edited with permisson.

Johnny,

Thank you for the response. Now, how much of this is really accurate?

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:51:10 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: Top end restoration and comparison photo preview

I like to look of the bead blasted and clear coated aluminum parts.

What kind of clear coat did you use?

Enamel, urethane, lacquer, powder coating?

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA
DOC-UK 357 Magnum