From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1899
Date: Friday, March 05, 2004 3:22 PM

1. Re: Re: HOOD WANTED
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

2. RE: Looking for VA License Tymcar owner
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

3. Re: Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

4. Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

5. Delorean Stainless Steel Bracelet
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

6. "second generation"
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>

7. Gauge Problems
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: Top end restoration and comparison photo preview
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Speedometer Button Question
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Carbureted PRV
From: benjamin strand <benjamin_strand_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:36:13 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Re: HOOD WANTED

Hey Joe and List,

Thanks for thinking of me on the hood, and yes, I too am looking for a
gas-flapped hood.  However, the two off of the parts cars are both flat.
(no lines either)

A couple months back I think Bob Brandys talked about making his own
gas-flapped hood.  This would be interesting, as the gas flapped hood of
mine that was wrecked still has a good flap.  (I don't throw anything away!)

I've still got a lot of good parts left here, so if anyone needs
something, don't hesitate to ask.  I forgot to mention last time that
all three of the parts cars had grey interiors...so unless you don't
mind a redyed part, all I've got is grey.

Thanks,
Josh

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:10:03 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Looking for VA License Tymcar owner

If the owner of a flood car from Poquoason VA license plate TYMCAR is on
the list, please contact me.

Jack Singer
jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:46:40 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car

Robert,

An interesting analysis of this new gullwinged car, but I must disagree on several points.

The Delorean doors use dual striker-pins, but that does not mean a single striker-pin cannot be
made safe.  All my other "normal" car doors use a single pin.  You're right that there should
be more safety catches, but isn't this car a prototype?  Any shortcomings in door design would
become apparent during the mandatory crash tests.

As for the marketing, well that's up to the marketing people.  This can be tailored without
changing the nature of the car's design.  I don't see why age is a valid demographic but gender
is not.

Anyway, the Pontiac Aztec was ruined not by bad marketing as much as crappy design.  :-)  And
what about the failure of the Delorean?  Was that bad marketing?  Bad design? (Personally I
think it was bad timing...)

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN #4695

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:05:34 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

(I apologize in advance for the length of this message.)

Thank you everyone for your continued replies.

>> I am afraid you are wrong about the Lotus and fooling yourself about
>> the Delorean...

Good to hear -- that's why I'm here, to get my research done before
purchasing the car.

>> Delorean maintenance is not cheap as evidenced by the number of
>> truely horrid examples out there...

Still sounds strikingly like my Fiero. If I let anyone else touch it,
it costs me an arm and a leg, and they break more than they fix. And
that's if the car is stock! My latest has a 3800SC engine in it;
completely custom and I'm not even sure someone else would work on it
at any price. That's fine, I prefer doing it myself.

>> You are correct that most of the parts are less expensive, but
>> expect to buy a lot of them initially.

I suppose I had planned on mitigating this by spending $15-20k on the
car. Sure, it's going to need some work eventually - probably sooner
rather than later - but if I have to dump several thousand dollars
into it right away then it's not a $20k car and I'll find a D that is.
Is that not an accurate assumption? (It is assumed that I would
immediately purchase and install the Zilla fan & door controllers
after buying the car, if it did not already have them)

>> The most important point is the
>> "passion." If you don't have it, you will hate this car.

I've always had it. I've got my John DeLorean book, my DeLorean
poster, and my DeLorean die-cast model in my office at home. ;) Just
waiting for the real thing to fill my garage.

>> What that letter is saying, is don't expect to just buy and drive
>> like you would expect a Honda or a Toyota.

Never once thought that would be the case. I've always assumed I would
have to tear into the car a few times a year to repair something. I'm
used to it with my Fieros and didn't figure a DeLorean would be any
different.

I know what would help me - if some of you would be so kind as to
share your DeLorean repair stories. Any of these would be great to hear:

- Horror stories. What is the most difficult repair job you've had to
deal with? Difficulty being assessed in terms of the job itself as
well as locating parts.

- Maybe you can post your last year's worth of repairs - what have you
had to fix?

- Or simply just tell me how many times a year you have to repair
something, on average.

If you're digging into the car once every three to four months for
things other than oil changes, I'm comfortable with that level of
maintenance. However, that Lotus FAQ makes it look like you're
constantly repairing something. If I have to fix the car every single
weekend, then I don't want a DeLorean. Somehow though I don't think
this is the case.

The Lotus folks really scared me off with their FAQs and warnings. I
never joined the list, just decided that I didn't want to buy a $35k
car that I'd have to work on constantly. But again, I have to wonder
if the maintenance is really all that bad. Coming from the perspective
of someone who is only used to owning a cookie cutter car, I'm sure
the maintenance on any exotic is terrible. But from my perspective,
I'm curious how different it is from the work I've had to do on my
Fieros over the years. Perhaps I can share my experience with Fieros,
and you can tell me how it compares to your DeLoreans? :

Over the past 10 years I've replaced everything: Water pumps,
alternators, belts, pieces of the exhaust system, manifolds, head
gaskets, all manner of rubber hoses and vacuum lines, EGR parts,
interior pieces, even replaced the engine in my '85 GT with assistance
from a friend. Then of course there are the regular oil changes,
coolant flushing, and other consumables such as brakes, tires, shocks,
etc. I have a well equipped shop and with the exception of tires &
suspension I do all work myself. However, the day to day maintenance
is not terrible: I've owned my latest Fiero for two and a half years.
In that time, I've:

- Installed alarm system & new stereo (when I bought the car).
- Replaced an alternator
- Repaired the reversing bracket on the shift cable (the 3800SC is
made for a FWD car; the Fiero is RWD, so dropping this engine in
requires a custom built bracket to reverse the shift throw if you want
everything to be normal from the driver's perspective)
- New wheels & tires, alignment
- Reworked the custom air intake to pull cooler air from the side of
the car
- Lubed the power door lock mechanisms, as they were sticking
- Replaced the dew wipes on the power windows (on Fieros, they wear
down and begin scratching the windows if you don't replace them).
- Repaired an electrical issue with the starting circuit (finicky
relay in my alarm's engine cut-off)
- Regular oil changes, flush/filled the cooling system
- Replaced a coolant hose that burst and left me stranded
- Getting ready to replace the brakes within the next few months

This to me is minor maintenance for a 2.5 year time period. I dig into
the car 3 to 5 times per year to fix one or more things. It's what I
expect out of an older vehicle.

Can I expect the same from a well cared for D? Or, after reading this,
do you folks think I'd be getting myself deep into a nightmare?

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:36:47 -0500
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: Delorean Stainless Steel Bracelet

Greetings all.

To help persue my future status of Delorean owner, i'm making available
custom-engraved stainless steel bracelets. For more info visit this
page.

http://www.88-mph.com/bracelet/index.html

Thank you for your consideration.

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
http://www.88-mph.com <http://www.88-mph.com/>

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:57:52 -0000
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: "second generation"

hi all,
I have been searching for a D for a while.  I came across one that I
like, but what puzzles me is that he calls it a "second generation."
First of all, is there such a thing? or is he completly making it
up?  I questioned him about it and he said that the second generation
design has had fewer electrical problems, and that sort of thing.  It
looks in good shape externally, and looks OK mechanically, but the
one thing is the "second generation."  Any advise?

L. Bauer

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:39:00 -0000
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Gauge Problems

Dear List,
  Recently I have been having problems with my gauges on my dash. The
first is that my gas gauge is jumping up and down. It goes down to the
lowest line and then sometimes jumps up to the quarter spot and then
sometimes even goes to the halfway and then goes down. I can't trust
the thing.
  Also my oil guage has me a little worried. It only goes up to the
second line in first gear then in the other gears it goes only halfway
and idles at the quarter level. What should I do? Am I getting low oil
pressure or should I clean the connectors? Where are they located?
   Thanks once again,
          ~Kramer

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:55:56 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Top end restoration and comparison photo preview

Scott, I use a 500 degree clear coat from Pep Boy's. It seems to hold up to
chemicals good and soaks into the metal if prepared properly. Temperature
and humidity have a large part to do with the out come of the part your
spraying and the paint holding on to. I have tried the VHT 1200 degree, but
I wind up waiting more because of the spray doesn't seem to want to work and
anything that gets over 500 degree had better be only the exhaust.

From: Scott Mueller [mailto:scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com]

I like to look of the bead blasted and clear coated aluminum parts.

What kind of clear coat did you use?

Enamel, urethane, lacquer, powder coating?

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:49:58 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Speedometer Button Question

It seems that a previous owner of my car thought it would be a good
idea to break off the button that resets the trip mileage. Is this a
seperate piece or do I need a new speedometer?  Also is it hard to
take off the binnacle? There is a bug inside my case behind the
clear plastic cover of the binnacle. I have tried to blow him out
with an airhose with no success. Can you take off the cover?

Adam Lee

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:32:09 -0800 (PST)
From: benjamin strand <benjamin_strand_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Carbureted PRV

Has anyone switched their fuel injected PRV to a carbureted PRV?

Does anyone know of the cost of a crate Carbureted version PRV engine? preferably the Vovlo B-28A version?

>From what I can tell through the DMCNews archives and some volvo engine searches is that the PRV B-27 (which had a carburetor) was installed on Volvo 260's from 1976 to 1978, and the engine had problems.  But in 1979 or maybe it was 1980 (conflicting information from different websites) it appears they issued the B-28A PRV (carbureted as well), which solved the problems of the B-27.  Just after that, the B-28F (fuel injected version, one used on Delorean) became standard.

And yes, I'm aware of how superior the fuel injection is and how I'd be unable to smog it here in California.  Still, I'd be very interested in learning how difficult and costly the swap would be, and am hoping maybe someone has already done it.

Thanks,
Ben