From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1901
Date: Saturday, March 06, 2004 11:27 AM

1. Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: Carbureted PRV
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. AW: Top end restoration and comparison photo preview
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

4. Re: "second generation"
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

5. Front Antenna
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. Re: HOOD WANTED
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

7. Re: Front Antenna
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

8. Re: Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

9. Re: Carbureted PRV
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

10. Re: "second generation"
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

12. Volvo Gullwing
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>

13. Re: door adjustment workshop in Pigeon Forge?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Front Antenna
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: Gauge Problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:54:52 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?

Hmmmm.  I, uh, borrowed a can from the hospital MANY moons ago and was NOT
impressed with the results.  It left an apparent oily film on the car.   It
may work nicely on the hospital sinks, but I never again used it on the
Silver Bullet.     Drive Stainless   Robert   VIN 6924   Sp. Tag:  AgBULIT

From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: [DML] What is BEST cleaning method for Stainless?

Thanks to Rick,  Sheila Shine is the stuff to use (specifically made for
stainless steel).  www.sheilashine.com is where you can find out about, and
order it.

Dean Thomas

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:15:41 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Carbureted PRV

Yes,  Charles Muffley in PA did.  Went to the salvage & obtained Volvo
intakes & carb.  He reported getting 30-32 MPG highway.   He also installed
a solid SS clutch line & told me how to do so. For <$10 I did, too.     He
is gone, now, unfortunately.   Great guy!  Don't know if his widow, Gladys,
still has their DMC, or how she is doing.      Anyone know?     Drive
Stainless      Robert  VIN 6924

From: benjamin strand <benjamin_strand_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: [DML] Carbureted PRV

Has anyone switched their fuel injected PRV to a carbureted PRV?

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:07:45 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Top end restoration and comparison photo preview

I think I can answer this question:

Bring it to a paint shop and have them do it !

Regular clear coat that they use to coat your car after they had to repaint
it.

Heat ? No issue at all !

Why does nobody ask for all the work I had to have it bead blasted ?
All the dust I had to swallow and the hurry to find another
place where I could bead blast it because the one at our company was out
of order after they moved it. And of course also to have it painted in
time to get the car back together the following weekend...well, at the
end we had to wait another four weeks to get the parts we had to order
several times after they were not delivered or wrong....

Thanks to Toby Peterson of Delorean Parts Northwest who solved the problem
and provided us with good parts that others had in the online store but
not on stock.

Hopefully the car will run again tomorrow.

Elvis & 6548...sleeping another few weeks

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:18:12 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: "second generation"

I asked the seller on EBay that was selling that "Second Generation"
Delorean what he meant by that and he said "1st. edition had electrical
problems. !st. edition has a flat hood. Please give me a call if your
interested!! " This is the exact words in his email that i cut and
pasted for you to read.

This seller clearly does not know anything about the car he is selling.

Mark

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:40:39 -0000
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Front Antenna

Hi Everyone - I recently purchased VIN #6840 1981 Delorean.  I have
been reading articles from this group for a few months now and find
it very useful.  Thanks for the great wealth of information.

Here's my current problem.  My car has the front mounted fixed
antenna.  The antenna had been broken off at some point and caused
the mounting screw bolt to break off as well.  This means the whole
unit needs to be replaced.  Does anyone know how to replace this
antenna?  It looks like I would need to remove the entire panel to
get to it?  Any suggestions out there?

Thanks
Greg

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:54:05 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: HOOD WANTED

Josh, et. al.,
     I bought two lined hoods over the past few years with dents,
dings, and wrinkles.  I recently had one of them repaired by P.J.
Grady in NY.  The difference is stunning!  The hood no longer has any
dings, dents, or wrinkles at all.  Due to age, weathering, shipping,
and neglect, there's a slight "X" if you look at just the right angle,
but otherwise it's absolutely beautiful.  The "X" was there when I
bought the hood and it was very pronounced.  The workmanship by the
folks at P.J. Grady have toned this down so that you can only see it
at a certain angle.  I had planned on putting it on my car but there
are so many people out there looking for a lined hood, and since I
have two I'd be willing to part with this one.  The only issues one
might have with it are the fact that a few holes had to be drilled in
the fiberglass "X" frame to knock out the dents.  I've filled them in
with Black RTV and weatherstrip seal, but when you look you can see
them only when you open the hood.  I wasn't concerned with that since
I don't show the car with the hood up.
     I highly recommend P.J. Grady's in NY for stainless repair,
especially the lined hoods.  They worked wonders with mine and when I
get around to it I will send them the other hood and a quarter panel I
just picked up on ebay for perfecting.

Josh, drop me an email.  I need a RHS arm rest....

Thanks,
Matthew

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:27:14 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Front Antenna

I recommend having the fender hole filled and installing the rear power
antenna because it looks sooooo much nicer.

Mark

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:26:38 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Volvo's new female designed Gullwing Sports Car

Not necessarily.  It depends on how the sill and door surround
is constructed.  If door fits into the surround (ie the inner
door seal fits flush to the inside of the door), it will act
as a cage for the door.  This could provide greater side
impact protection than the striker/hinge arrangement of a
standard door.

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:51:58 -0800
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

I talked to Charlie several years ago at a DOA expo in Las Vegas. He showed
me his engine and explained what he did. Many years ago there was a company
that sold an aftermarket carburetor out of the back of magazines like
Popular Mechanics called the Fish Carburetor. It was a side draft variation
and was supposed to improve fuel economy and drivability. They weren't in
business very long but Charlie had one in his work shop so he removed the
"w" pipe from the front of the intake manifold and capped the ends. Opposing
holes were drilled across the valley in the center of the square intake
runners and a tube with an adaptor for the Fish side draft carb was
installed between the two intake runners. I can't remember how he capped the
injector ports. He had driven the car from Pennsylvania to Las Vegas without
any problems. I doubt performance was improved as the Fish carburetors
weren't know to be very good. I have a photo of it somehwhere. He sure
seemed to enjoy messing with things like that and it was fun to listen to
him tell all about it.

Bruce Benson

> Yes,  Charles Muffley in PA did.  Went to the salvage & obtained Volvo
> intakes & carb.  He reported getting 30-32 MPG highway.       > Stainless
Robert  VIN 6924

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:56:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

The changes to the DeLorean over it's production run did not go by model year or anything like that, though the car did have several minor updates throughout it's production run.

Some were cosmetic like these:

There were 3 "styles" of hoods- the first had styled 2 relief lines and a gas flap for filling the car up without lifting the hood, the second was the same, but the gas flap was omitted for production costs, and the third was without relief lines or a gas flap- presumably for production costs, though they did come with a small hood badge on the lower right hand corner. The '82s had beefier brushed stainless angled exhaust tips. Grey interior became available in mid '81 models, and later '82s and '83s used lighter colored carpet and headliners for black interior cars. The door pull strap style was changed in late '81. The radio changed from a Craig unit to a ASI unit in '82. The automatic shift lever changed design in early/mid '81. The early '81 cars had darker colored wheels, and darker colored fascias to match.

Others changes were mechanical like these:

The original alternator was a Ducellier and didn't put out enough power, it was replaced by a Motorola. There were minor coolant pipe routing changes made in early '81. I've heard that in mid '81 the wiring harness was greatly simplified- supposedly 12 lbs was cut from it. Then of course there were the recalls: look on or around the firewall of a DeLorean, and if there are two paint blotches, one blue and one red the car has it's recalls. One recall dealt with the front crumple tube being too weak, the other was a shield to protect the throttle from moisture.

There are also other weak areas of the cars that weren't addressed by recalls or production changes. These would mainly be the cooling and electrical systems. The cooling system had two main weak points: the weak plastic coolant bottle would burst causing the car to overheat;  bubbles could build up in the system and cause the car to overheat. There are new coolant bottles and a gadget that continuously bleeds the system. The electrical system had a litany of problems. The relays all need to be upgraded, and the system for turning on the radiator fans was faulty as well. There's so much more, but I'll leave it at that.

So in the end there are no true "second generation" cars. These changes were made on the fly, and didn't happen all at once or together or in phases. If you count every production change and recall there are probably about 20 generations of DeLoreans lol. If you're looking for a trouble free car look beyond model year, though I would tend to say the later '81s are probably about the best of the bunch. The early cars were a bit cobby as the workers were still learning how to build them, and had some problems that were addressed in later cars. The really late cars (late '82s and '83s) have also been criticized for build quality, as they were being built at a fast rate in attempt to keep the company alive, and some cars were built after the company went into recievership. The automatic transmissions seem to be a little troublesome as well, but as with everything on the car, if they're properly maintained your problems will be minimal. Like Dave T always says, the most important thing in shopping for a DeLorean is to make sure the car was driven often and maintained. Sitting DeLoreans are waiting time bombs... their fuel systems are especially sensative to sitting. If a car was properly taken care of it doesn't really matter what model year it might be, or anything like that. If you've got any more questions shoot away.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:15:59 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on buying a DeLorean

Hank, and others who replied:

Thank you for your insight! My mind is made up; I will be purchasing a
DeLorean for sure. I'll have to wait until later this year, as I am
building a 20' hovercraft in my garage and there isn't room for a car
in there. My Fiero is happy in the driveway but I won't let a DeLorean
live outside. As soon as the hovercraft is complete, I'll be going
shopping for my D.

>> Now, I've also had alot of work done by PJ Grady
>> over the last few years which more quickly added to my Total Cost
of Ownership -
>> stuff I could not or did not want to do myself: exhaust gasket
replacement,
>> water pump, new shocks/springs, windshield replacement, window
motors, minor
>> frame repair, and lots of other things. This year he'll be
swapping a
>> transmission for me.

Some of that list (water pump, exhaust gasket, window motors) looks
like a fun Sunday project to me. Working with this car will be no
problem.

Thank you again for all of your friendly responses. One of the
greatest things about owning a vehicle like this is the community
behind it. The Fiero community has been great to me and it's nice to
know my new "home" will be the same.

I'll be lurking and occasionally posting here from now on; When it's
time to go shopping I'll let everyone know, and will post pics & info
of my D once I buy it.

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:25:26 -0000
From: "bbbigray" <bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com>
Subject: Volvo Gullwing

Thought this was an interesting take on the project...

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=67031&ran=235538

--Ray

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:43:25 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: door adjustment workshop in Pigeon Forge?

I am all for the door adjustment session
If there is anyone that would like to do it or convince someone that knows
how to do it let me know and I will get a time set aside.

We have the door torsion bar adjustment scheduled already

Ken
deloreancarshow.com

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 02:36:31 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

That vin number is high for a factory front-mount antenna. I was
under the impression everything in the 4000's up got electric rear-
mounted antennas. However, a great factory replacement I found at
Radio Shack. It looks just like the stock antenna and is black but
the shaft screws out for a car cover and the wire mount on the
bottom is a flush fit so the wire will angle enough to allow the
mast mounting brackets to fit in the limited space between the
fender and the fiberglass body. Mine mounted up perfectly. The wire
run into the car was a bit of a pain but I prevailed.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:54:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Gauge Problems