From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1911
Date: Friday, March 12, 2004 3:09 PM

1. Re: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

2. Re: Alternator Upgrade.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

3. Exhaust note of DMCH Engine
From: "sonnyvr2000" <sonnyvr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. High RPM until it warms up
From: "bettermark2003" <bettereducation_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. DMCH consideration
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

6. Re: Does Lack Of Smog Pump/ EGR Cause Long Term Damage To DeLo Converter?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: Starting Question
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Delorean Emblem Removal
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Vacuum leak
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: spare fuel distributor
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. RE: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Window sticker and tech session (mini-fridge run, NE style)
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. RE: Delorean Emblem Removal
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. What's in the space?
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

16. RE: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. RE: Exhaust note of DMCH Engine
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. JZD mentioned in magazine
From: "Greg Linstad" <gregl_at_dml_olymed.com>

19. RE: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. New DMCH Seat Covers - NICE!
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. The 02 Sensor-Removal and tuning???
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

23. VIN 717 mystery
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

24. RE: Window sticker and tech session (mini-fridge run, NE style)
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

25. RE: Window sticker and tech session (mini-fridge run, NE style)
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:23:16 -0500
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

Bob,

I agree with John.  Think of it this way.. you paid $1000 to have your wheels chromed ($250/wheel).  That's all, not a bad deal, if you ask me.  I'd also like to see some photos of these wheels, since I'm considering a set of the DMCH brushed steel wheels.

thanks,

-Hank #1619

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:48:27 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Upgrade.

I have one of the D-150 alternators that John Hervey sells, and can
tell you that it's great! You just need to make sure that your car is
up to the task of delivering power to all the accessories that you
add on. I run head and clearance lights, a decent stereo (I plan on
adding an amp in the future, all accessories, and a laptop for
wardriving at night (which I plan on adding a 2nd powerpoint in the
future for another laptop).

Now, here is the downside. If you've got a low voltage issue _at_dml_ idle,
the larger alternator 'prolly isn't going to fix it, if it's being
caused by poor electrical connections. That's a seperate issue that
you'll have to resolve seperately. Other than that, the 150 amp
version will have a tendancy to "whistle" when it has to provide a
large output, such as charging a dead battery. If you're a
perfectionist, it may bother you, but in all honesty, the Frequency
Valve is much louder. But if that may be a problem, then just drop
down to one of the 140, or 130 amp models. Which are still much more
than you'd need if you just stick with the stock accessories on your
car.

The only other issue that I've had is when the car sits in the rain
for a few hours, the alternator doesn't seem to want to put out a
charge, and I have to rev the motor up. Then it catches, and
everything works fine. HOWEVER, I don't know if this is caused by the
close proximity of the stator and rotor, or if my lazy ass needs to
fix a slipping belt...

Hope this helps!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dustin Dewey" <dmc5000_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Hi everyone!!!
> I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded their old Delorean
alternator
> for any of the new models that are out there. I am looking at the
Maxi Brute 150+ that they have on

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:08:31 -0000
From: "sonnyvr2000" <sonnyvr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Exhaust note of DMCH Engine

[Moderator Note: Discussions of the sound of DeLorean engines are appropriate to the DML.  Discussions about the semantics of racial slurs are not.  No further bandwidth will be given to the "ricer" comment.   - moderator Mike Substelny]

Marc -

> frankly I don't think the majority of DeLorean owners
> want their car to sound like a ricer with coffee cans
> on the tail pipes.

I don't think anyone who has experienced DMCH's engine either through
ownership or driving would agree that it has the exhaust note
commonly associated with the imports and their exhausts that are
popular today.

Several people here on the DML have this exhaust, I've read, would
any of you characterize it as sounding that way?

Finally, I'm sorry you saw my message to you as a personal attack.
However my wife, who happens to be Asian-American, did take offense
at your use of the term "ricer". I'm sure you meant no offense, right?

Sonny V.

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:00:14 -0000
From: "bettermark2003" <bettereducation_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: High RPM until it warms up

My friend has a Delorean that revs to 1500 rpm when he first starts in
the morning. Then after it warms up it drops down to the normal rpms.
Any ideas of what is the problem? Is it the idle speed motor?

Mark

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:30:36 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: DMCH consideration

I'll tell all of you exactly what I told Stephen and everyone else at DMCH:  if not for them, I would not own this wonderful car.  Their presence encourages me to recommend DeLorean ownership to others.

I don't have the time to do more than casual automotive work.  If not for DMCH being available and affordable, my car would be rotting in the garage.

Did I say affordable?   Yes!   Their repair bills are typically lower than the
equivalent repair on my other vehicles.  They have always been friendly and considerate, which I appreciate.

Any issues I may have had, I've taken up with them rather than complain about it
publicly.  As long as I am satisfied with the results, I see no reason to cast
aspersions.  However, I am happy to discuss any relative merits of specific products and services they offer, as I have in the past.

I did not comment on the high-power engine in this thread since I've done so repeatedly in the archives, and besides I don't have an automatic.

The bottom line is that if DMCH closed up shop today, I would sell my car tomorrow.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:00:46 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Does Lack Of Smog Pump/ EGR Cause Long Term Damage To DeLo Converter?

Based on the fact that many properly operating and tuned DeLoreans
are wearing their original Cats well over the 100K mile design
target, I'd say the design was sound. That's probably longer than
most of those smog pumps last, at least on the cars I've seen and
owned.

Don't mistake lack of maintenance and age-related deterioration for a
design flaw. We're driving these cars 12+ years after they were
supposed to be dead. Sometimes we forget about that.

Dave S

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:18:40 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Starting Question

It sounds like too much fuel during start - probably from the cold-
start valve which is activated during the cranking phase. When you
hit it right away, without the pause for pressurization, you catch
the fuel system and cold start valve with the least amount of
pressure on it and the least amount of fuel entering the engine
during cranking.

I would disconnect the cold-start valve or the thermo-time switch in
the thermostat housing to see if the starting behavior improves. If
it does then one of those two components is faulty.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:40:04 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Delorean Emblem Removal

Greetings List,
My '82 hood has no flap or grooves, but does have the DeLorean relief
lettering on the front right corner.
Previous owner unfortunately scrubbed around it (screwing up the grain
around it), and removed the black paint on the flat background (negative
areas) of the plate.
I'd like to remove the piece, remove some of the scratches to the hood,
and repaint the piece.
But how are these things attached!?
Doubt it's adhesive, but I see no hardware on the underside of the hood.
Removal advice. . .?
Thanks,
Oliver Holler

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:23:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Vacuum leak

?????????????
Why wouldn't you?

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:13:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: spare fuel distributor

Here is my advice for long term storage of a motor. Keep oil in the
motor. Remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil into each cylinder.
Every couple of months or so turn the crankshaft at least 1 complete
turn. Cover with a towel and put plastic over that. Loosely cover all
openings with masking tape and paper to keep dirt out. Drain ALL
coolant, remove the drain plugs.

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:28:59 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I don't feel like breaking all this down again....
So I won't.
All I know is that if you decide to get these rims, be prepared to blow some
change.
You can buy some really nice custom 17" rims for this sort of money.
I think that if there is someone out there who does CNC custom rims, who can
make some 17" Rims that look like the factory rims, that would be awesome.

About Don, I haven't made up my mind about those guys yet.
They don't have a very tight ship.
Unless you call him on his cell phone, you won't get much done by email.
When I order from Houston or PJ Grady, the stuff shows up immediatly but the
stuff I ordered
from Don took it's sweet ol' time.

As many of you know I had wrecked my car and needed a hood.
I have been talking to about everyone for a hood but it seems no one wants
to commit to selling me one. These grooved hoods are made out of friggin
gold I guess.
They ain't making you any money leaning against the wall of your shop.

Anyway, Don offered me a grooved hood for $2000.00.
I countered with an offer of $1500.00 total including shipping and he
replied back with
e-mail saying "that would be fine".
I called him on the phone to confirm and he said it would go out the next
day.
The next day came and he called me around 6PM to tell me that he had spent
all day
cleaning and re-surfacing it, having it crated and waiting for the shipper.
He said that he didn't notice that HE was too pay the shipping (even though
I confirmed it
with him by email and phone) but I guess he wasn't paying attention to it.
He wanted me to pay an additional $175 for the crate, and $290 for the
shipping.
Of course I disputed it, but we agreed that we would split the bill.
(Even though we had a previously agreed price of $1500 total).
Then he calls me back again to tell me that he would rather not sell the
hood at all.
It also slipped out that he had another customer who wanted it anyway.
He wanted to get more money for it from someone else.
Basically, he took a crappy hood and cleaned it up so nice he changed his
mind I guess.
That's like the chef eating your dinner because it looked so good.
Thanks a lot!
So I got to asking him about some other hoods, and he claimed to have some
others I might want and that he would "call me right back"....it has been
two days and nothing.
I stressed at how important the hood was to me because I needed it for St.
Patricks Day
Parade in Dallas.

To be honest, everyone has sort of done this to me.
Rob Grady had a hood he was going to sell me, but only if I bought ALL of
the replacement
parts for my car from him as well as give him all of my wrecked parts.
When I didn't go for that, the hood suddenly was not for sale?
Well, that's not totally true, he did have one for $3000.00 which may be a
good deal
but was out of my budget.

Rich had one, but has been too busy to get to it.

Oh well, it looks like I will be stuck with a flat hood from Houston until I
find a grooved hood or a gas-flap hood.

If anyone has one for a decent price let me know.

- VB

>From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:29:20 -0000
>
>Hi Robert,
>
>I don't see how you have spent $1800.
>
>You spent $1700 initially, of which you get $800 back. So you've
>spent $900. Then add the cost of shipping and switching your tires,
>and you have spent another $100, so $1000 in total.
>
>You say that you are losing out on a set of wheels worth $800, and so
>add this onto how much money you are out, which doesn't make sense!
>You are forgetting you are getting another set of wheels back (worth
>at least $800). The value of the newly refurbished wheels should
>easily surpass the value of the original wheels that probably had
>peeling paint and scuffs, so these cancel each other out. The most
>you are out is $1000.
>
>Sorry, but I don't think its fair to Don Steger to say that you
>got "hosed" on this deal. Don doesn't post here, so cannot defend
>himself. I've heard nothing but good things about him and his
>company, and if I was living in CA he would definitely be my choice
>of shop to work on my car. $1000 sounds like a great deal to me for
>this upgrade.
>
>Can you please post pictures somewhere where we can see the wheels?
>
>Thanks,
>Best wishes,
>John Dore, Ireland.
>
>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>
>wrote:
> > I bought a set of Steger's chromed rims and have them sitting here
>in
> > the middle of the living room gleaming.
> > For those of you curous about them, I think they look damn good,
> > but I am not sure if they are a good value.
> > They cost $800.00 + core.
> > The deposit on the exchange is $800, so you need to fork over about
> > $1700 or so initially, and then you need to pay to have your tires
> > switched and then send the rims back.
> > This is an out of pocket costs of over $1000 if you keep your own
> > tires....Not to mention loosing your old rims, which appearantly are
> > worth $800 to Don Steger so I suppose you could get that for a
> > set....meaning you are spending about $1800, or $450.00 per rim!
> > Damn, now that I think about it I feel hosed!
> > You can buy some damned nice rims for that sort of bread!
> >>>
> > Thanks.
> > - Videobob
> > VIN# 5278

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
$29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:40:44 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Window sticker and tech session (mini-fridge run, NE style)

Does anyone have the EXACT dimensions of the original window Sticker? I know
that it was not 8 1/2 by 11 and I think it was printed on sheets with
perforated edges, like the old dotmatrix printers? Any info would be greatly
appreciated, thank you.

Dom Diaz

P.S. Sometime is late april/early may I am looking to have another tech
session/social gathering at my house. The way I see it this will be the one
to get cars with minor issues ready for P.F (for example, we could charge
R12 and R134a systems [byof-bring your own freon]), check TABs, etc. Also,
it would serve as a pep rally for PF!!! I need to check with the local D
owners for availibility (Dave Stragand, Dan Plakosh, Pete Lucas, Jeff
Porter-you know who you are) but we've been able to get a lot done in the
past. It's open to all who can take a day trip to SW PA (Pittsburgh), even
Ohio folks..:) We are lucky to have access to those guys here so take
advantage! E-mail me off-list with any questions.

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:54:25 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I checked out DMCH's "machines" wheels, they cost about the same as the
chrome I think.
I wasn't too impressed, I got the feeling that they would stain easy.
Everyone now-a-days is pushing powder coat.
- VB

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:52:57 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean Emblem Removal

It's stuck on with double sided tape, pretty strong.
You can buy new ones from DMCH for $20.
However, I would leave it alone.
You could try putting some adheasive remover around it, and use a
PLASTIC scraper to pry it up.....
- VB

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:03:04 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: What's in the space?

What is in the space under the fiberglass (?)  between the relay
compartment and the ECU compartment?

Please avoid general remarks like ....air.

Is this area outside the car?

Dave and 6530

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:38:06 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Final note on this....

Good thing I ordered when I did because it looks like they raised the price
on these up
another $150 to a price of $950.00 + the $800 core charge.
Keep in mind you will pay $65 shipping, then something simular to ship them
back,
as well as about $100 for mount & balance bringing your cost per rim up to
about $300 each
after you get your core charge back.

http://www.deloreanmotorcenter.com/_a7100130_4_pc_chrome_wheel_set.html

If you check DMCH's website, you can buy "refurbished" factory rims at $125
each.
However, thier "polished" wheels are $200.00.
Which I think might be ironic, because chances are they polish them before
repainting
them and selling them for less! - I could be wrong about the process.
If the chrome is that important to you, and your pockets are deep go for it.

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:20:01 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Exhaust note of DMCH Engine

When I visited DMCH recently, they fired up one of the new modified engines
with the new exhaust on it... I thought it sounded deep and throaty, and had
a Harley-esque type of rumble.

It reminded me of an old Chevy truck with a set of glass packs.
You could feel that deep vibration in your bones like you do with a Harley.
I mentioned that I thought this would be a little TOO loud in the cab, and
the tech agreed that it could give you a headache on a long trip.

However, as a dude who rides a Harley most of the time I think I would get
used to it, and it certainly added some "balls" to the car so it didn't sound
like balloon when you let the air out of it.

Let's face it, the stock exhaust sucks and sounds like Yugo when you floor
it.

My stock pipes are now a garden ornament in my yard and I have a custom set
of glass packs on, not near as loud as the DMCH pipes, but still sound good.

FYI - I might have bought a set of the DMCH pipes as an impulse buy when I
was down there, but they were sold out.
I think I will wait on it now and see what else comes down the pike at the
PF show.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:09:16 -0800
From: "Greg Linstad" <gregl_at_dml_olymed.com>
Subject: JZD mentioned in magazine

The April 2004 20th Anniversary Issue of Collectable Automobile (silver cover with an illustration of a 1971 GTO) has an excellent article about the famed automotive illustrator Arthur Fitzpatrick. The article goes into his career with the automotive industry and he mentions John DeLorean in several instances. There is also a photo of him with a very young JZD on page 76.

Greg Linstad   pndc.org
VIN# 3507  'RUSTLSS'
VIN# 6214  'RUSTLS2'

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:05:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I am running Don's chrome wheels on my car.  They cost
me $800 exchange. (You get your core charge back - the
rims cost $800!!!! ) Price from other vendors for
"resurfacing/polishing" 4 rims was almost identical.

My rims look awesome and I consider it money well
spent.

Replacement grooved hoods are rare, with or without
gas cap flaps. Be prepared to dig very deep if thatis
what you must have. D
For what it is worth, I have ordered parts from don,
Rob and Houston.  I have never noticed any difference
in the service.  It has all been good.

Dick Ryan

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:13:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Check out my car - December on the Gullwing Calendar
for 2004 or check it out in the Owner profile article
in the current issure of Gullwing magazine.

You can also see a chromed original wheel in the
article on wheels in the latest issue of Gullwing
magazine.

Hey, Ron, do you like the plug?

Dick Ryan

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:11:40 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: New DMCH Seat Covers - NICE!

I ordered the new reproduction seat covers from DMCH yesterday morning,
and BAM! Here they are the next morning.
One thing you can not say about DMCH is that they have bad service.
They have always shipped my items immediately, and Warren is
always helpfull.

The seat covers are pleasently soft and pillowy, I noticed that they
did stuff some cusion into the "ribs" along the back bone.
They cost me $599 + shipping.
The only difference that a real DeLorean pro will notice is that the
stitching is gray instead of the orignal white.
But they are soft and wrinkley supple.
To be honest I have never seen OEM seats in their original state,
only slick and hard like mine.... so I guess these are what they
are supposed to look like.
I am not worried about it, my car is not a concourse competition car
but it will certainly be a comfortable and modern car.
I will post some photos of them up close soon.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:01:24 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: The 02 Sensor-Removal and tuning???

I have fabricated and installed a custom dual exhuast (Not HEADERS!
just exhaust) on my DeLorean, only the new systems of pipes has no O2
Sensor. Since I have each bank of cylinders (left bank/right bank, NOT
individual cylinders) running in its own pipe, there is no way to read
both banks mixed in one pipe as the stock configuration allows-this is
why I couldn't put a sensor in. Anyway-to the point: how should I go
about tuning the engine now that there is no sensor installed? The
DMCNEWS archives tells us how to do this BUT says you need to have an
inital reading off the sensor-I don't even have the engine in my car
yet--let alone a sensor so there is no way to get a reading. Does
DMCH'S header/exhaust kit have the O2 Sensor-I can't see how it would
but how do they go about tuning? The engine is expected to be
installed very soon, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
for the past and future responses guys -Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:36:32 -0000
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: VIN 717 mystery

Anyone has infos about #717 or its history ? I discovered it last
year in a barn here in France, and a friend is on the way to buying
it. Some things are strange with this car... first of all :
- there is no fabrication date stamped on the identification plate (
the frame above the VIN is blank ). We plan to have it engraved to
avoid registration problems, but I wanted to know if someone found
this date missing on his car...
- the car has a US title but the license plates are not the legal
stamped metal type, they are made of plexiglass, have 7 digit,
and "columbia" as state... where does it come from ???
- some details don't match, like the 1-key system, the hood without
gas flap and strange controls on the steering column.
Thanks to anyone who can give us some info about this car and these
points.
Raphael, France

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:42:05 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I have original DMC window sticker stock.  What dimensions are you
specifically looking for?

Height 11"
Width 11" wide with perf edges, 10" without.  8.25" to the perma-tac
stickers on the sides.

Jack
Looking for a project car...

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:44:23 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I have the window stickers in new condition for vin 4521 & 4117 if the
owners are on the list.

Jack.

[duplicate quote snipped by moderator]