From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1913
Date: Saturday, March 13, 2004 9:56 AM

1. Re: VIN 717 mystery
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

2. Re: Does anyone want a DeLorean with a Northstar V-8 for $8000?
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

3. Re: What's in the space?
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Delorean Emblem Removal
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

5. won't start
From: "painintheass7565" <advantics_at_dml_aol.com>

6. RE: The 02 Sensor-Removal and tuning???
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

7. RE: VIN 717 mystery
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

8. Re: What's in the space?
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

9. Re: The 02 Sensor-Removal and tuning???
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

10. Re: VIN 717 mystery
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

11. RE: DMCH Engine-How Fast Exactly
From: Curtis <FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com>

12. Re: What's in the space?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: new member - and question about John Z. Delorean
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Does Lack Of Smog Pump/ EGR Cause Long Term Damage To DeLo Converter?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Re: High RPM until it warms up
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

16. Re: High RPM until it warms up
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

17. RE: won't start
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. RE: Re: The 02 Sensor-Removal and tuning???
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Hot Start #2
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

20. Re: DeLorean with a Northstar V-8 for $8000?
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

21. Re: Scoping out the dwell and RTFM
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Transmission
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

23. Emblem Removal
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com

24. #717 again
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

25. AW: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:39:42 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: VIN 717 mystery

How about posting some pictures of it on the DML photos page, we would
all like to see what you are talking about?

Mark V

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:44:03 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Does anyone want a DeLorean with a Northstar V-8 for $8000?

I'm interested, but $8000USD is not in my budget right now, unless the
CDN/U.S. dollar exchange rate suddenly improves.  I'v got a lot of
other work to do on my Delorean anyway.  But I would LOVE to have one
of those Northstars in the back of my car!  If your offer is still
open next year, I will take you up on it.

Richard Rowe

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:55:00 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: What's in the space?

The exhaust crossover pipe and a heatshield. And yes, some air too.

Martin

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:54:56 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: Delorean Emblem Removal

Sometimes you can pull a piece of thin wire through the double back tape to
separate it.

Mileage may vary.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA
DOC-UK 357 Magnum
DOA

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:55:31 -0000
From: "painintheass7565" <advantics_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: won't start

I only get a chance to work on Vin 5326 on the weekend. If anyone
remembers I replaced the fuel system from front to back, all but the
fuel accumulator. I got my O2 all out of wack before I realized the
accumulator was bad. I replaced it, and now have great fuel pressure
and need to get my O2 back where it needs to be. I know I have to
pull an injector, jump the pump and push down on the air deflector
plate and see when the injector sprays. At what point should it start
spraying and for how long? I know it needs to be perfect in order to
run right. Should it start spraying during the stroke or at the
bottom of it? I know it's way off and I would love to get it running
this weekend. Thanks in advance for all the help.

John 5326&1383

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:00:11 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: The 02 Sensor-Removal and tuning???

Put a sensor in each bank.  You can read off of either one when tuning.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA
DOC-UK 357 Magnum
DOA

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:31:57 -0500
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

Interesting stuff - Once it is in your friends hands be sure to post
some pictures of the "oddities" so that we can all see them!

Michael

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:44:28 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Dave - The area that you asked about is filled up primarily with the
frame.  The rear "wishbone" section is under there, along with the
transmission and all of that.  The volume is technically outside of
the passenger compartment.  I suppose that it would be extremely
dangerous to ask the question ... "why do you ask?"  Anyway, that's
what is there.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:59:21 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

In my previous post-I was wrong, I see that the performance kit really
does have an O2 Sensor. So, is the O2 Sensor still effective only on
one bank of cylinders, does it matter that it doesnt have gasses from
both? Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:07:51 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

[Moderator Note: Many responses have asked for the same thing: pictures.  You may assume that lots of DMLers would like to see some.  I'll reject the rest of the picture requests.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

Raphael,

can you post some pictures?  of the license plates and the strange
controls on the steering column.

Sounds like this car may have been used in a movie

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:07:33 GMT
From: Curtis <FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: RE: DMCH Engine-How Fast Exactly

Can any one tell me the exact 0-60 with the modified engine assuming a perfectly tuned ideal engine, or better yet, the 0-30?  This info seems to be kept very close to the vest.  Thanks.  Curt.

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:16:49 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

It's full of frame and transmission.

A question like that usually precedes an envisioned project -- what do
you have up your sleeve?

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 02:38:06 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: new member - and question about John Z. Delorean

Hey Florian,
 As the typical teenage guy I would like to tell you that I know
exactly why the chasis was not made of ss but, I can't remeber
exactly why I think it was the strength of the ss in the shape that
it would be in in the wishbone shape. If the people on this list
can't  tell you the right answer then look it up at Entermyworld.com
(my favorite) or any other websites that are DeLorean related Some of
them may hold the answer. A guy named Rich W. has come out with a
stainless steel chasis, I think. I would tell you his last name but I
don't know it, all I know is W. He is however on this list. You can
find a link to Rich's site through agian Entermyworld.com.

 There is a cool pic of "Big D" himself on, one maore time,
Entermyworld.com of Mr. DeLorean in front of his house with Tamir.

The reason why the only website that I mentioned was Entermyworld.com
is that it is the only one I can remeber the address to I visit
others but they're in my favorite list underr another name.

Josh
not yet

 P.S.
   My bad once again to Tamir. You would think I could remember how
to spell your last name, but Ard is giving me trouble.

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "florian_uhlemann" <F.Uhlemann_at_dml_w...>

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:26:09 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Does Lack Of Smog Pump/ EGR Cause Long Term Damage To DeLo Converter?

DeLo is the only catalytic converter equipped car (circa 1980) I've
encountered without a smog pump, thus my question -- especially
considering Volvo was using one on the exact same engine.

Our little silver cars *DO* have design flaws (TAB's, cooling fan and
door lock circuitry, lower control arms, etc), so a flaw in the
exhaust system isn't unimaginable.

And most DeLo's have abnormally low mileage, so some design flaws are
only now becoming apparent.

I lost my converter, but I am also running an E series engine which
may have been too rich for the design.

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 02:46:25 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: High RPM until it warms up

Sounds like the vacuum hoses to the warm-up regulator and vacuum
advance module could be mixed up. Check against the sticker on the
engine cover. It is a little tricky to check since the actuator
valve is under the back side of the intake manifold. A mirror helps.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "bettermark2003"

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 03:11:14 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

JH

Have you checked the connection to the warm-up thermistor? It is
hard to get to under the intake manifold but it can be done. Also,
the poor cold acceleration issue could be the vacuum hoses on the
warm-up regulator or the warm-up regulator itself. If these pieces
are working correctly a cold run is a non event. BTW the fast idle
signaled by the thermistor is 850-900 RPM, not 1500.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Harry" <jlharry_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> What problem, I have worked a year to get mine to do that. It
needs to idle
> higher when it is cold , just like all other cars should not take
to long to
> start dropping back.  My drops back the instance it starts and
when it is
> cold it dies.  After about 5 min of starting and dieing it will
idle long
> enough to get the gas peddle to work and I can keep it running.
If I try to

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:42:48 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: won't start

As soon as the Air meter plate starts deflecting down the injectors will
start spraying and not stop till the plate goes back to the rest position.

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:50:38 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: The 02 Sensor-Removal and tuning???

Dan the 02 sensor adjust the deflection plate Via the Frequency Valve in the
fuel distributor and that does all cylinders at one time. Even though you
would be monitoring the air/oxygen on one side, again that will adjust for
both. Without a computer system other than an ECU like we have, I don't know
how the Delorean would do it with 2,  02's and keep it balanced between the
2 with one ECU. Maybe other have a better idea.  The Boxster Porsches
monitors both sides coming in and going out ( 4 02's ) and a set of 02's is
almost $500.00.

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:14:31 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Hot Start #2

This post is going to be long, but I figure it is the only way I'm going
to get my hot start fixed. Some of this info will be from my earilier
post, some of it will be new.

Quick run down, new accumulator, new fuel pump, new o-rings in the fuel
distributor for the pressure regulator. After running the car for about
30 minutes (long enough to let the fans cycle a few times and be up to
temperature). Turning the car off will result in the inability to start.
It has to cool for about 2 hours. Swapping plugs on the cold start does
not allow it to start either. I checked the ohms on the coil at the plug
on the rear wall on the driver side of the engine compartment after
running the car for awhile and it was warm. Read 700ohms. I have driven
the car for up to an hour so far without it dying.

When the car is cold, it will backfire at times, this goes away once it
is warm. It appears to be always advancing. Currently, the thermal
vacuum switch under the intake manifold is bypassed (just havent gotten
in there to connect it up).

I measured the fuel pressure after the car was warm at the top of the
distributor. Will this tell me the pressure back thru the system to the
tank? After the engine was off, the pressure read at about 3.5 bar, and
after about 10 minutes settled to 2.9 bar. If I read the tech manual
properly, and IF (will someone confirm that I checked the rest/primary
pressure please. Want to make sure I did not read the control pressure)
I checked the correct pressure, I am within range for the fuel system
(page 60, spec #5 of the tech manual) for bleed off. Assuming I did
check rest pressure, then I would interpret this that the accumulator is
good and that the primary pressure regulator is good.

What is left to cause a hot start? It is annoying that I can not simply
drive the car and stop for a minute but have to plan to only drive it
when I know I wont need it for 2 hours. What other things do I need to
check, what other info can I provide. There has to be a solution to the
problem.

Samuel

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:21:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean with a Northstar V-8 for $8000?

I've always thought if someone could do an engine swap in a DeLorean for under $10k they would sell like hotcakes. Lack of power and an unexciting exhaust note seem to be DeLorean owners biggest complaints. If I had $8k, I'd drop what I was doing right now and drive to Dallas to do this swap. I always thought $20k for the other Northstar conversion was a total crock. I guess my only concern about this is are there going to be any provisions made to the transmission to handle more than 200% more horsepower? Thanks for looking into this for all of us fellow D owners. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to afford this. Right now I'm just a poor college senior though lol.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 04:22:21 -0000
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Scoping out the dwell and RTFM

Could someone explain why the dwell meter has to be set to 4 cylinder
scale? I just set up my CO a while back with the meter on the 6
cylinder scale. Could this be a typo in the technical info manual?

Thanks!
adam

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:39:50 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Transmission

http://www.pim.net/expertzf.html

Is this like our Delorean transmission?

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:12:40 EST
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Emblem Removal

The glue on these things is tough, but it usually can be dissolved with
lighter fluid (naphtha). Squirt it under the emblem and let it soak; it will
eventually dissolve the glue. Be patient. This will not harm the painted finish if
some gets on it as stronger chemicals might do.

Brian, VIN 5830

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:32:55 -0000
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raf40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>
Subject: #717 again

Thanks for your interest in this car !! ;-)
I created a photo album named VIN 717 with some pics of this dusty
hidden treasure.
You won't see the identification plate ( fab date missing ) but you
will notice the strange steering column controls, the one-key system
and the hood without gas flap... the car is sleeping in a barn here
in France since 1993 so I don't think someone ever had opportunity
to modify anything or change parts.( except wheels )
Can you tell me about the license plate ???
thanks to all of you !!
Raphael

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:25:11 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

I guess you don't know what kind of work it is to polish the wheels.
And painting a polished surface ??? How would this work ?

I have a shop here that powder coats my wheels for 50Euro each.
Indcluded is chemical removing the old paint, glas beading the surface
so the paint will stick better to it (!), then heat them up and powder
coat them with silver color and a clear coat.

That's 200Euro (almost same in $) alltogether.  Plus another 30-40 bucks
for mounting and balancing all four wheels.

And you said something about having your own new wheels machined on a
CNC machine ?
I know people who make that for BBS (yes, the company that makes the F1
wheels !)
and they would never sell them to a private person for street use ! NEVER !
Those are only test and design samples, absolutely illegal to use them - at
least here in Germany where TÜV rules the safety on the roads.

Elvis & 6548

VideoBob wrote:
Which I think might be ironic, because chances are they polish them before
repainting them and selling them for less! - I could be wrong about the
process.
If the chrome is that important to you, and your pockets are deep go for it.