From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1914
Date: Saturday, March 13, 2004 4:35 PM

From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

From: "foxmul2001" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

8. New Website
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

9. RE: Hot Start #2
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: Emblem Removal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Hot Start #2
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Auction on eBay
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Houston Experience
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 06:49:36 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: HOWTO #15 released today

Hello all,

   It seems that HOWTO's #7 and #14 released last week
went over quietly, which was expected as many people
have their cars up for storage, or just dont feel like
doing maintenance out in the freezing cold.  The
feedback I received did help though, thanx.

   #15 is now released This is a small one that goes
over the removal of the bypass pipe and cold start
valve for general maintenance, etc etc.

     As you can tell each new howto is working deeper
towards the area where the coolant pipes were leaking
under the manifold.

Feedback is appreciated!

thanx

Jordan 11613

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:16:09 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Transmission

I am not sure about this, because I don't know much about transmissions, but
I remember a friend of mine mentioning that the ZF is what they use in a
Pantera DeTomesa, and that it would be a perfect conversion transmission to
use.
No, it is not the same but would be a good one.
...at least I think that is the same one?
- VB

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:32:14 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Re: HOWTO #15 released today

I am new to the list.  How do we address these "How To" documents?

Roland Smith
6667
Oakland, California

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:38:17 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Hot Start #2

In a message dated 3/13/2004 7:50:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx writes:
new accumulator
Although rare I did get one NEW accumulator that was worse than the one I
took off

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:42:22 -0500
From: <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: VIN 717

Looks nice and clean :-)

Looks like the rims are not factory either ..

DELOREAN AVEYRON 7

Picture you can see that they have some type of riveted design

Strange.. Very strange

What is the price being asked for this car?

Are there any engine shots?

www.odoc.ca <http://www.odoc.ca/>

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:00:04 -0000
From: "foxmul2001" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: radio bracket

hello, does anyone have the old style radio bracket. I will take the
new one as well.  I thought I might check the list before I shop at
DMC.
Joseph
vin2850

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:32:51 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

No, DeLorean gearboxes were sourced from Renault.  They
are similar to the units used in the later 4 cylinder
Lotus Esprits.

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:18:39 -0600
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: New Website

I made a new website about Delorean's. There is also a bulletin board on
it for people to talk. Just thought I would let you know,

www.deloreanowners.com

Alex Wolf

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:23:34 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Samuel,
Based on what your posting the control pressure is to high after 10 min and
your experiencing a lean fuel and backfire situation. Control pressure
regulator / WUR is bad and won't let the pressure drop. If you need a CIS
tester I have one to loan but is sounds like you have one.

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:31:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Emblem Removal

I haven't tried it specifically on the Delorean emblem but Goof Off is
a really good product for dissolving glue. You can find it in most
supermarkets. It comes in a small yellow metal can. I would squirt it
on and let it sit for a while and then try pulling a thin wire under
it. Keep the Goof Off away from the painted facia. Maybe a heat gun
would also soften it.

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:46:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You really have to make sure you are getting spark before you decide
it is a fuel problem. Since you said the plug swap won't get you
started you have to consider that it may not be a fuel system problem.
I would inspect the primary ignition system including the ballast
resistors, the wiring and connections to the starter, and the bypass
relay. It should be easy to troubleshoot as it seems to be consistant
ie it always happens when it is hot. The car should not backfire AT
ALL! I would suspect bad ignition wires, cap, and rotor. You might
also have to adjust the intake and exhaust valves. I think at this
point if you haven't done it and you don't know when it was last done
(if ever) you should do a complete tune-up replacing the secondary
ignition system parts and cleaning the fuel injectors. Finish by
replacing the injector seals, air filter, and fixing all the vacuum
leaks before setting the mixture on an analyzer. You might want to
also make sure that you are getting power (when the ignition is on) at
the plug going to the control valve. A problem with the power on that
plug would keep the plug swap trick from working and make the car hard
to warm up.

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:46:42 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Doing the sums on Don Steger's chrome wheels.

I don't know what proceedure Steger is using to do the rims.
I would assume (from my limited knowledge of chroming) that
the rims are dipped in an acid bath to soak the paint off,
then buffed a litte, sometimes they first dip them in copper
and then into chrome I think.

The chrome looks good, except for the pitting on the back inside
of the rims. Of course this is not viewable to the eye.
My main concern is the black paint on the inside.
You can easily scratch it off with your finger nail.
I can tell it won't last.

They have only been mounted on the car for one day, with no driving or
cleaning yet. I will get some good pictures of them and we will see
how they hold up under everyday use.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> I guess you don't know what kind of work it is to polish the wheels.
> And painting a polished surface ??? How would this work ?
>

> I have a shop here that powder coats my wheels for 50Euro each.
> Indcluded is chemical removing the old paint, glas beading the surface
> so the paint will stick better to it (!), then heat them up and powder
> coat them with silver color and a clear coat.
>
> That's 200Euro (almost same in $) alltogether.  Plus another 30-40 bucks
> for mounting and balancing all four wheels.
>

> And you said something about having your own new wheels machined on a
> CNC machine ?
> I know people who make that for BBS (yes, the company that makes the F1
> wheels !)
> and they would never sell them to a private person for street use !
NEVER !

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:17:17 -0000
From: "istewart88" <istewart88_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Auction on eBay

Hello,

It's doubtful anybody remembers me, but I posted to the DML a couple years ago, trying to
find info about a DMC here in Tracy, CA. Imagine my surprise when that very car showed
up on eBay, just today:

ViewItem&item=2466575287&category=31830

I doubt anybody here is in the market for a 30k DeLorean, but I wanted to give a word of
warning. I did eventually talk to the car's owner (this is how I know it's the same car... the
contact phone number offered is the same), once in 2001 and again in December 2003,
and the story he gave me was very different. He wanted $30k for the car, even back then,
but he said it was a manual... and the reason it's been stored since 1985 is because one of
the heads was cracked. Also, I know for a fact that the car has not been stored indoors all
that time, since it sat exposed to the elements at a truck lot near my house for almost 2
years. Since the car is (supposedly) nearby, I'm going to try to get some more info and
possibly a look at it... but I wanted to warn a well-trafficed public DeLorean forum that it
probably isn't worth 30k.

Ian

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:24:50 -0600
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: Houston Experience

I just want to share my experience with the guys at DMCH. I drove 4
hours to get as fuel pump changed, which I THOUGHT was going to cost
$350. When I got there, the first mechanic that looked at the car on the
trailer said he didn't even want to work on it. As it turns out, the
"new" engine that had been put in the car was the wrong engine. It was a
Renault B-26, which is .2 liters smaller than the stock Delorean engine.
About then I was terribly pissed off, being that I had laid out all this
money the week before for a car that was supposed to be a "super" good
deal. After a lot of deliberation, Steven, the owner, came out and
calmed me down quite a bit. Several of the guys there pushed the car in
to the garage, which was a chore in itself also because the "new"
calipers were the wrong ones, and they locked up. The brake pads were
locked against the rotors. Now, I am in a GREAT mood. Steven showed me
around the warehouse, gave me a tour of the place and I was instantly
overwhelmed by the magnitude of it. Amazing. So, they go to work on the
fuel pump. When they pulled it out, they discovered, that the tank had a
TON of soot in it, the rubber boot was dissolved, and so on so forth.
Also, the lines to and from the accumulator were damaged. So, a $350 job
went to an $800 job in a heartbeat. Well, while they were fixing it,
someone discovered a fix to the calipers. Some part, and I don't recall
which one, was left off. Easy $100 fix. What impressed me was that they
didn't try to tell me they couldn't be fixed, they told me the truth,
which is not something that you get from mechanics often (I work at a
chain of dealerships, I know what goes on!) My fist experience with
these guys was impressive. James and Steven took time to calm me and my
wife down, and went over a LOT of things I could do myself, but could
have easily told me they needed to do. Being the newbie I am, I wouldn't
have known any better. I don't come from a technical background, so when
they lifted the car up and showed me what was going on, I was completely
clueless. They didn't treat me like I was a moron; they just explained
it to me. Both my wife and I left happy, (a new fuel system, fixed
calipers, new door struts, brake switch, and some pads later) and will
be returning to get service done there. Hands down, what a good
experience! Thanks guys!

Alex Wolf