From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1921
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 9:32 AM

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>

8. Re: Re: question about battery life
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

9. Re: question about battery life
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Replacing exhaust manifold gasket
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Cooling Fan Fun
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. Flux / Speaker Box
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Yahoo Photo Capacity (Clearing Out #5939's Album)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Re: William Bowie, Columbia SC
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Re: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: DCS Pigoen Forge Hotel Room Update
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: DE LOREAN T-40 AIRCRAFT TUG
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

19. Re: Buying a DeLorean
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

20. window regulators
From: "Mads de Bruin" <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

21. Re: DCS Pigoen Forge Hotel Room Update
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

22. Re: Cooling Fan Fun
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. RE: DCS Pigoen Forge Hotel Room Update
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

24. Automatic transmission
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

25. Re: Cooling Fan Fun
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:18:55 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: DMC Texas Weatherstriping

Some of each. Depends on what part. Call and ask them. It's a free
call.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:52:52 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing heat sheild.

Until you snap at least one of the 4 converter studs. Then it gets
not-fun really fast.

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:22:01 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: question about battery life

I have a battery cut-off switch installed in my car. I just turn the
switch on after a month and the car fires right up like i just put it
in storage the day before.

I have never removed the battery out of any of my cars through out the
years that i have stored them over the winter and never had any
problems starting the car in the spring, except for one car because the
battery needed replacement before i stored it.

All of my cars were stored in a non-heated garage.

Throw a battery cut-off switch on your car and call it a day.

Mark V

On Tuesday, March 16, 2004, at 10:31 AM, Rod Dillman wrote:

> David,  Is there any downside (to the car) in removing the battery
> from the DMC and storing the battery as you suggest during the winter
> months?
>
> David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:
> Doing a cranking test (using the starter as a load test) is a quick
> and "dirty" test. It is dependant on too many variables though like a
> bad starter, dirty or loose connections, low compression, to name a
> few. The light test is a little better but can be meaningless if you
> take the results from another kind of car and compare them to the
> Delorean. It is not difficult to have a battery load tested. First
> charge it up slowly ( 2-5 amps for 2 days). Next take it to Sears or
> any large chain and they will test it on a load tester for free. They
> do this to try to sell you a new battery. In most cases if you bring
> an old battery in and suspect it to be bad it probably is. Don't waste
> testing anything over 5 years old. The "dirty little secret" in
> batteries is that although you can still use a battery after it is 5
> years old it generally has less than 50% of it's life left. This means
> there is no reserve and should be replaced. A battery cannot be
> properly load tested if it is less than 1/2 charged or has less than
> 50% capacity. Batteries in cars that are not used regularly age even
> faster because of the deeper discharge cycles they see by usually
> being allowed to go dead over the winter for extended periods of time.
> I keep batteries on my cars healthy by removing them from the cars,
> placing on a wooden surface, and charging them with a trickle (float)
> charger 1 day every month when the car is not in use. Even with that
> care 5-6 years is pushing it. An alternator that either doesn't keep a
> battery fully charged or one that overcharges a battery will kill the
> battery faster. A little known fact is that you can have an alternator
> with a blown diode or 2 that still charges the battery. This is very
> bad though because not only is the alternator not able to fully charge
> the battery but it is now impressing an A/C voltage on the battery and
> that will kill the battery quicker than sh-t. It is just good practice
> to check the ENTIRE charging system when you change a battery so you
> know the new battery will get to live a long time.
>

> -- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Hervey" wrote:
>> Dave, Using the starter as a load is smart way of checking the
> battery. Here
>> is some additional information from a local GM expert that writes
> the books
>> on battery and charging systems and teaches around the country.
>> I took his 1/2 day course and it was wonderful.

> Do you Yahoo!?

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:05:45 -0500
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DE LOREAN T-40 AIRCRAFT TUG

Rich,

I, for one, would definitely be interested in seeing said photos.  I've pretty much been oblivious to all these other projects I keep hearing about.  Still being a newbie, I had assumed that Delorean's one and only venture was the DMC-12.

Regards,
William F. (aka Divine Knight)

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:35:18 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Odd louver Vents

Where is this folder located with you pictures in it?

I dont see it on the DML photo area.

Mark V

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:02:59 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

We ran out of file capacity today so I did some clean up. Not very
carefully. I probably deleted it. I deleted stuff that I coudn't
figure out, this was probably one of them. If it needs to be there
just load it back up.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:05:42 -0500
From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1919

Does anyone want to split a room at the Pigeon Forge gathering?  I really
want to go but need to make it cost effective. I'm in Columbia SC if you
want to share a ride/gas money as well.

 E-mail me off list if interested.

William B.
Future D owner in training

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:16:12 -0500
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

> Throw a battery cut-off switch on your car and call it a day.

Ha! I already ordered one from John Harvey  - should be here soon!

In case anyone remembers, I  USED to have a Sears "Security" battery that had a built-in auto-cut off feature, but I exchanged that battery for a regular one over the summer when I was had a no-start situation I could not solve.  So I used to have a cut-off, and soon will have another again.

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:10:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: question about battery life

The only disadvantage I can think of is the extra effort required to
remove and reinstall and the small chance of stripping the bolts on
the battery terminals. The BIG upside is that you get to clean
everything up and eliminate the possability of electrolysis in the
cooling system. In fact building codes say you are supposed to remove
the battery if you are charging the battery in the car in the garage.
Although there is a lot of debate about keeping the battery on a piece
of wood and not on steel or concrete the fact is they DO last longer
and keep their charge longer if kept on wood even if no one can agree why.
David T

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:18:22 -0000
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket

My driver's side exhaust manifold gasket needs replaced. How easy is
it to do just the driver's side. I dont want to take the entire
exhaust off the car. Thanks!

adam

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:00:07 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cooling Fan Fun

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!

Hello List!  I have a strange problem with my cooling fans. They
work but only when they feel like it. They will kick on for a blink
of an eye and shut off. Even when I turn om my A/C (when they are
supposed to come on) they will not kick on. BUT there are sometimes
when they are on for a good couple minutes. Let me know what you
guys think.

Adam Lee

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:07:22 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing exhaust manifold gasket

The ease of this job depends on the condition of the exhaust. If it is
all rusty, etc. - then this job will not be to easy. I would recommend
spraying the parts with a lubricant such as WD-40 and let it sit over
night before attempting. The worst thing that can happen is a stud
breaking-because of the lack of room its not too easy to drill and
extract. All you need to do is remove the nuts from the studs going to
the block-6 I believe, and the 2 nuts on the studs at the outlet of
the exhuast manifold.
Then it should just come right out. Use anti-seize when you
reassemble.

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:47:59 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Flux / Speaker Box

This message is for audio enthusiests and BTTF fans.
I have been researching the "FLUX CAPACITOR" for a while,
have see n a few in person and ordered one of the best ones I could
find. One of the problems with a "screen accurate" Flux is that it
is so huge! In the original time machine, there was no back window
and the flux was mounted up high where the window would be.
The accurate reproductions out there stick up over the rear window
by several inches so it must sit forward in the middle of the shelf.

My plan is too build "Delorean Friendly" scalled down versions
that will fit right under the window, and will wire into the power
coming from the rear dome light and using an ON/OFF switch supplied
from DMCH that will replace one of your dummy switches.

So many of the flux's I have seen come close and use the correct
enclosure but they never get the electronics correct.
So many people use rope lights, or blinking LED's, or the
pattern goes back and fourth.
The correct pattern is from the outside to the center
in 4 stages.
Another mistake is that so many people add in a variable speed.
The flux only had one fast speed, as will mine.
The flux does NOT strobe as so many people add to the flux,
it simply got really bright from all four corners and the center.
Everything about MY flux will be very correct and replicated
to appear exact except for the enclosure.
The original enclosure was a Stahlin switch box which by itself
is very expensive, by eliminating this cost I can sell my flux's
for a much cheaper price.
This is the reason many Flux's costs around $500.00 or more.

No one will be dissapointed with this FLUX.

To take it to the next level, I would like to start building custom
speaker boxes that will fit exactly in the rear wall and will be flush
with the window sill and lightly slanted and will appear stock.
This can be cut to hold either 8" round, or 6x9 full range speakers.
This includes either black or grey carpet.

As an option we can flush mount the FLUX right in the center.

I plan to sell the FLUX's for around $300.00, and the boxes for
around $250 or so, or $500 for the combo.
I am still working on the prices.

If any of you are interested please contact me off the list at
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com and we can work it out.

For the time being, if there is anyone who wants a very nice
full sized FLUX, in the full sized screen accurate box
I have one for sale for $400.00.
I only have ONE of these.
Let me know.

- Videobob
VIN#5278
http://www.dfwdmc.com

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:23:44 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Yahoo Photo Capacity (Clearing Out #5939's Album)

I'm probably responsible for major portion of usage. Apologies. I'll
clear #5939's album out myself tomorrow.

If anyone wants to see pics of my various PRV's, get 'em tonight.

FWIW: the pic's have had following benefit:
- Owner in CA is buying an A series manifold (not mine) to carburete
his K Jetronic block
- Owner who thought he had a Renault block has re-identified it as Volvo

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:50:03 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: William Bowie, Columbia SC

Welcome back! By my calculation you post twice per year. Have you been
lurking in the interim?

I've found a really good PRV mechanic in your back yard. Builds and
races Renault blocks (high compression, normally aspirated). Currently
owns an Alpine with the dual carburetor setup. Imports all sorts of
PRV goodies, including triple lip/square edge intake manifold rings
that seal better than traditional O rings.  His address:
Norman Preser
754 Kirkland Circle
Elgin, SC 29045
(803) 438-6626 (voice)
(803) 438-6642 (fax)
He's German -- fasten your seatbelt for the accent.

Re: Pigeon Forge -- I was already scheduled to split a room with
someone else late last year. Will check if those plans still in
effect. Post another message with your eMail address so we don't waste
future bandwidth (I read the List through Yahoo, which for me at least
is totally bogus Re: replying directly to posters. I click on the
poster's truncated address, and it does show up -- truncated -- in the
"To" box, but for whatever reason the message STILL goes to the
moderator!) Don't forget to replace "_at_dml_" character with "(at)",
otherwise Yahoo won't display domain name.

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:02:46 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Easier than passenger side because you don't have to remove the
alternator and starter motor. Plus driver's pontoon extension doesn't
extend as far down. No oil filter or oil pressure sender to work
around either.

I had no trouble at all removing my catalytic converter, but
apparently Dave Swingle has.

Studs behind the engine cradle are a royal pain no matter which side
you're doing. Oh well.

Treat yourself to a set of Rob Grady's new stainless steel 7mm
manifold studs. Trust me -- that size is NOT available anywhere else
in the world in stainless. He had them custom manufactured.

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:30:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DCS Pigoen Forge Hotel Room Update

I helped with that =).  In fact when I mentioned I was with the DeLorean group, they told me that I got the last room.  Cheers!

kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com wrote:Well you guys(and girls) always seem to amaze me.

The Hotel that I had 220 rooms reserved sold out of the economy rooms. There
has been a HUGE RUSH as they say on these rooms in the past week.

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:42:33 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DE LOREAN T-40 AIRCRAFT TUG

Look in the Photos section on the DML mailing list,under "other
Delorean" you will see pics there.

Hope that Helps
Claude

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:10:14 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Buying a DeLorean

That is why when you find a good mechanic or garage you stick with
them.
Claude

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Bobby <bmims1_at_dml_u...> wrote:
> I have owned my DeLorean since 1985.  Steve Wynn and DMC Houston
have
> serviced it since 1988.  My "D" is now 23 years old and runs
perfectly!
> Steve and the DeLorean Motor Company of Houston are simply the best!
>
> My car was originally serviced by a guy in Dallas named "Pat
W....ly"

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:02:08 -0000
From: "Mads de Bruin" <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>
Subject: window regulators

Just came across this on the internet and thought I pass it on.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=DL01-K

Mads

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:33:26 -0500
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Nobody worry- Pigeon Forge has many, many rooms to accomodate it's visitors.

11 million people drive through that town every year, they have to stay
somewhere.

Eric Itzel

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:32:20 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling Fan Fun

Two common problem points:
1) If you still have the original blue fan fail module inline, replace
with a double jumper per DMC Tech Bulletin:
http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-06-9.82.html
2) Check condition of grounds after the fans (are grounded to the
crumple extension, exposed to the worst road elements). Often are
rusty or otherwise unable to reliably complete the circuit.

To properly diagnose, follow your cooling fan circuit from start to
finish, testing at each component along the way. The circuit's been
explained in detail many times (I did so most recently in Message
#38606).

Top of the morning to you too!

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:40:39 -0500
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

( Ken addressed this on the list yesterday and listed plenty of options so unless there is suddenly a problem getting a room I'll forgo posting any further daily accounts.  Moderator )

When I last spoke to the hotel last week, they had run out of non smoking
economy rooms. There were still smoking rooms left and plenty of the higher
priced rooms left.

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:59:43 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Automatic transmission

Hello:

I have a problem with my automatic transmission not shifting down when I
need to accelerate rapidly.  My mechanic has identified the problem to be
with the cable that controls the downshift in response to throttle movement.
He indicates that my throttle cable does not move freely.

Has anyone else experienced and corrected this downshift problem?  Is it the
cable or something else related to the cable?

My mechanic has ordered a replacement cable.

Roland Smith
6667
Oakland, California

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:00:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Check all the connections to make sure that they are all clean and
tight and not burnt. Replace the cooling fan circuit breaker. If you
have the blue fan fail relay or the wire bypass get something better.