From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1934
Date: Thursday, March 25, 2004 4:52 PM

1. Re: Gullwing Magazine
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

2. Re: fascia repair
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Custom Made Gas-Flap door
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Right Hand Drive Deloreans In Australia
From: "menaraphael2002" <menaraphael2002_at_dml_yahoo.com.au>

5. Re: fascia repair
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

6. A little history on the Turbo Deloreans?
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. door openers
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: Re: sound system upgrading
From: service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com

9. BROKEN TORSION BAR
From: "Pietrowski" <kritter_at_dml_toast.net>

10. why my is my DeLorean running crappy?!?!?!
From: "delorean3469" <delorean3469_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: fascia repair
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Custom Made Gas-Flap door
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

13. RE: fascia repair
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Custom Made Gas-Flap door
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. RE: Re: sound system upgrading
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. A/C Panel Lights available as LEDs!
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

17. Re: BROKEN TORSION BAR
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Re: Custom Made Gas-Flap door
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:02:25 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Gullwing Magazine

Darryl,

Thanks for the kind words.

List,

There is an article being done on the door launchers and their
installation which should be in our upcoming issue of Gullwing
Magazine.  I think you will be surprised with some of the trick
little goodies that may follow in the future.

Ron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_t...> wrote:
> Just got the latest copy of Gullwing Magazine and want to
compliment Ron & Co. on another fine job.  And I wanted to add a
comment to something Matt Ohlin said on page 30 -  "...for door
launchers - if Bob Zilla would ever release them."  Matt, don't you
know door launchers have been available for some 15 years, first from
their originator and now from the Peterson's DeLorean Parts Northwest
(www.delorean-parts.com)?  Why would anyone wait for something that
will cost several times as much (if its ever really available) and
require the purchase of other related expensive add-ons?  Besides,
with what you have already done I bet you could get by with just
purchasing the actuators, linkage, and instructions from Toby for
even less.  And despite the claims of one well-known detractor, there
hasn't been a single failure of those super-lightweight actuators
since I started selling them 15 years ago.  As noted 3/20/04 by "John
#5860" - "the door openers are awesome & work flawlessly."

> Just a public service message.  I have no business relationship
with DeLorean Parts Northwest LLC.

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:28:43 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: fascia repair

Yeah - look at

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/fascia.htm
Dave

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:31:07 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Custom Made Gas-Flap door

I know some of you think I'm nutz (cause I am) but I am thinking of
taking the brand new flat hood I bought from Houston and cutting it up.
I have no respect for that hood anyway, everyone hates it, so let's
play with it!
I am thinking of installing a custom gas flap.
I was looking at some of the fuel access doors that are sued on race
cars, planes and etc.
Most of the ones I have found are round, but I have found a few
that are square.

Here is a few links to the ones I have found:

http://www.racerwheel.com/exterior-gas-door.html

http://www.yearwood.com/FuelDoorshtm/HAG90RC.asp

http://accessory-center.com/series.plx/30/1420/1930

So has anyone else ever thought of doing this, or has maybe actually
done it?
I figure it would be a simple cut, and the fuel door will overlap
the cut and bolt in.
It will stick up over the hood by about 1/8" inch or so.
You can get them in a brushed aluminum and they look cool.

I have also learned that working on stainless steel is not quite
as impossible as I thought...however time consuming and you must have
the correct air tools.
You can weld with SS rod, and grind it out so that you can't see the
line, and then use a wire brush to get the grain back.
You should see all the welding we did on my fender!
Amazing how good it looks now, although it's not finished yet.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts about this, any suggestions
or links to better looking caps.

- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:05:38 -0000
From: "menaraphael2002" <menaraphael2002_at_dml_yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Right Hand Drive Deloreans In Australia

Is There anyone out that has a RIGHT HAND Delorean for sale or knows
of one around Australia that is thinking of selling a Delorean

Any News could you email menaraphael2002_at_dml_yahoo.com.au

Thanks very much

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:34:06 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

If you want easy, John Hervey sells a kit. www.specialtauto.com look
under the body-frame section. I'm sure John will be glad to explain
how to use the kit.
Stephen
Vin 3601

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:04:55 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: A little history on the Turbo Deloreans?

Does anyone on the list know the differences in the various turbo
prototypes? I recall seeing pictures of both 502 and a few others
and all of them looked different Lastly, is there any documentation
on the specs of these cars of Legend at all?

Thanx in advance
Harry 2696

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:12:23 -0000
From: "endotex23" <endotex23_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: door openers

I usually remain a lurker but I wanted to comment on Darryl's post
about door openers. I installed a system years ago which included
alarm, remote start, keyless entry, and door opening in one combined
unit. I selected the control unit and motor driven actuators over
solenoids for specific reasons, mainly the ease in which they could
be intergrated into the car's existing wiring and the all-in-one
functionality. I rejected solenoids due to their weight, high inrush
current, and their suceptability to failure from insulation breakdown
caused by inductive kickback. The size required also prevents hidden
installation, something easily acomplished using geared motor driven
linear actuators

As a machine design engineer I researched many types of actuators for
the proper specs and robustness and chose one particular brand after
studying everything available. It later turned out these are the same
units Darryl (now Toby) offers. They performed flawlessly since day
one and when the car was disposed of had nearly one thousand total
operations. (I know this because the system counted each door
operation.)

Although I didn't get the actuators from Darryl or Toby, in deference
to the contributions they've both made to the D community I'll
decline from revealing the source. My point is you can have complete
faith in them. The Zilla design is vaporware and who knows how long
it'll be until it's a reality. And although it may offer plug and
play, installing Darryl's actuators aren't difficult.

The other point I'll make is you should interlock the system to
prevent unintended door openings. (I'm not sure the Zilla design will
even offer such a feature.) You may forget to lock your doors and
even if you do the system should have a safety function built in. It
can be done many ways, the car I did wouldn't release the doors if
the speed was over 20 mph. There are simpler ways to implement this
interlock if you don't wish to sample speed. Darryl is right, why
wait for something that is available now and has a proven track
record?

Just my two cents based on experience.

Endotex23

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:59:40 -0500
From: service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com
Subject: RE: Re: sound system upgrading

I added more pictures to #02700 on the right is a DVD player/GPS
and in the compartment there is no more space you need to build the right
size box
behind the sub to make it work the stock compartment isn't sealed.
Might be selling or trading it for a painted delorean sick of clean off
finger prints
P.S
now don't steal my Engineering, and Developement (LOL)
let me know if i could help anyone

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 03:17:24 -0500
From: "Pietrowski" <kritter_at_dml_toast.net>
Subject: BROKEN TORSION BAR

Hi everybody,

The torsion bar on my passenger side door snapped in half.  I have a replacement for it, but when I installed it, there is no support to hold the door up.  Can anybody help me out?  Wh at is the proper way to install it?  Thanks.

John Pietrowski
Toledo OH VIN#4945

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:01:31 -0000
From: "delorean3469" <delorean3469_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: why my is my DeLorean running crappy?!?!?!

ok...... i have a very high idle... when i say idle i'm talking 4500
rpms!!! and when i put it in gear pttt nothing... no go....; i have
abosolutly NO power at all.... it is as lean as #$%^.... what the #$%
^?.... all my vacuum lines are fine, brand new spark plaugs, wires,
lines, acumiator, pump, o2 senor... i checked for air leaks and
nothing was found.... i gutted my cat. aaaaaggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
someone please help me!!!

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:00:47 -0000
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Eric,

I did this job by following the directions posted at:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/facia.htm

In the scope of things, this is a pretty easy job.

Pat
vin5443

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:52:57 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Custom Made Gas-Flap door

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>
wrote:
> I know some of you think I'm nutz (cause I am) but I am thinking of
> taking the brand new flat hood I bought from Houston and cutting it
up.
> I am thinking of installing a custom gas flap.

> I was looking at some of the fuel access doors that are sued on race
> cars, planes and etc.

> So has anyone else ever thought of doing this, or has maybe actually
> done it?

Hi Bob.
I've done it to my car.  I had to, since my fuel filler moved to the
rear fender.  You can see it at

http://www.gendreaumicro.com/tenpointtwo/11472index.htm

I don't like it.  I used a brushed aluminum filler door.  The color
of aluminum clashes badly with the color of the stainless.  It took 3
hours to install, and looks like crap, though it functions properly,
at least.  I would never do it to the hood.  Personally, I prefer the
clean unbroken look of the perfectly flat hood, commonality
notwithstanding.

And by the way, you might want to stop haggling so aggressive with
the vendors.  It's a niche market and they have what you want.  Very
few other people do.  It's best not to annoy them recklessly.

Rick

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:42:28 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I don't know if you can remove them once they are there.... but I guess.
I went down to Home Depot and bought a 3 foot long, 2" wide peice of
aluminum
and cut it in half. Then I drilled a few holes in it and roughed it up so
the epoxy would stick
better. I used the most powerfull epoxy I could find and glued them in place
and used a few
clamps to hold it down.
Make sure to put some rags or something soft on the clamps so you don't scar
the paint.
I let it dry and now it is stiff.
I have not time tested this, so I will see how it works.

However, you can buy a kit from John Hervey at
http://www.specialtauto.com
that will do the same thing.
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:53:56 -0500
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Interesting concept.  I noted that the flaps shown all appear to be aluminum
so that brings up another issue for me.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer with respect to (and I may be stating
this wrong here but it's the best I can do) dissimilar metal galvanic
corrosion between stainless and aluminum?

Is it a problem or not?

Ed
10541

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:24:18 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I would have to agree.
The stuff he is talking about is usually called "Dynamat".
A big roll of it only weighs about 20 pounds or so.

Besides, the purpose of this stuff is to dead the sound of vibration.
If you have ever been at a stop light and have some "homies" pull up next to
you,
and you can hear all of thier fenders rattle....these are some dudes who
need some
Dynamat! That's what it is for.

David, did you used to race cars in the past?
Most race car drivers are obsessed with trimming weight.

If he thinks that 20 pounds of sound proofing material will be a problem,
If that's the case, then my fat ass shouldn't be crusing around in this car!
I'm 6'2", 265lbs.
- VB

>From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: RE: [DML] Re: sound system upgrading
>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:00:50 -0500
>
>Could soundproofing add THAT MUCH weight that it would slow down the
>car!?  I find that a little hard to swallow.
>
>Kevin Abato
>Vin # 16680

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar  FREE!

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:10:13 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: A/C Panel Lights available as LEDs!

Or almost! ;)

Heard back from LEDTRONICS and they can and will build the LEDs for
us as long as their minimum order is fulfilled. From what I
understand this "minimum order" would be 750 dollars worth.

The best way to do this is if someone on the list is willing to
invest and pay for the BA7s to be tooled up. Would probably be best
if this "someone" is an American, private person or D-vendor, since
LEDTRONICS is based in the USA.

Video-Bob, how about it?

I for one, would be willing to pay in advance for getting a double
set of BA7 LEDs.

For those up to the challenge - please contact LEDTRONIC's
Catherine Davis on: CDavis(at)ledtronics.com

Crossing my fingers here...we all want LEDs, don't we? :)

Sincerely,
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:39:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: BROKEN TORSION BAR

With the door open, the torsion bar should have about another 90
degrees of pre-load twist to it. Support the door open while you do
this. If you need to twist it more than 90 degrees, replace the gas
strut. Over-twisting the bar to compensate for a weak strut is often
why they break.

The other test is that when the door is allowed to hang with the gas
strut removed, it should stay open 8-12 inches at the bottom.

Overall this is a pretty twitchy operation with a lot of room for
error (like breaking the glass, balooning the end of the torsion bar,
cutting the roof, hurting yourself) so you ought to find a local
helper who's done it. Dave Bauerle is a commercial shop in your area
(Radnor).

Dave S

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:48:21 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Based on the experience where SS screws are used in aluminum rivnuts,
I'd say it's a problem. This is the combination that you often see in
the car where you absolutely cannot get the screws out of the
rivnuts - they "weld" together really well. The screws that hold the
radiator shroud to the body come to mind. It's the aluminum that
corrodes, the stainless does not appear to degrade but it sure sticks
together well.

Dave S