From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1941
Date: Monday, March 29, 2004 6:59 PM

1. Keeping the engine running
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: D suddenly not starting / damp outside
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: surface rust?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. RE: Re: Re: Grounding Each Speaker Individually
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

5. Re: Keeping the engine running
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

6. Warning For Parts On E-Bay
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

7. Re: History of Gull Wing Cars
From: "murray fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

8. Re: History of Gull Wing Cars
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. VGA Display
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

10. coolant smell when heater is on
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

11. That darn water return pipe
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: History of Gull Wing Cars
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Secret Audio stereo system
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

14. angle drive update
From: Sonny V <sonnyvr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: VGA Display
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

16. Re: VGA Display
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

17. Re: VGA Display
From: "Florian Uhlemann" <F.Uhlemann_at_dml_web.de>

18. Re: VGA Display
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: VGA Display
From: "simioid2001" <simioid2001_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

20. Re: VGA Display
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

21. Re: coolant smell when heater is on
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

22. Re: coolant smell when heater is on
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Warning For Parts On E-Bay
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

24. Re: That darn water return pipe
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

25. Re: angle drive update
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:16:07 -0000
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Keeping the engine running

Dear List,
  Recently I have been having problems starting up my car. It cranks
so I know that the battery is okay. It runs (briefly, i.e. only a few
seconds). So I know that the starter motor is okay.
  At first I thought that it was just water entering somewhere because
it would only crank but not kick over. I just let it sit for a day or
so and then it would be okay. But now it just won't stay running.
  What can I do?
     Thanks,
         Kramer

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:15:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: D suddenly not starting / damp outside

If it started right up after drying out the usual suspects are the
connections on the ballast resistors and the secondary ignition high
tension leads to the spark plugs. Make sure that they are fitting
tightly on the circular lip at the top of the spark plug wells so
water cannot get into the wells. If the wires are old, hard, brittle,
dry, or cracked, they should be replaced. They should also be
"correct". I have seen replacement wires that did not fit the circular
lip properly and would not seal water out. This is why it is always
better to get these kinds of parts from one of the Delorean Venders,
they will get you the right parts.

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:05:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: surface rust?

Under normal evironmental conditions (even with salt air) the S/S does
not "rust". The surface will oxidize but you should not see rust
spots. If you have rust spots than it is usually caused by someone in
the past having used a steel wool pad on the S/S. That causes tiny
steel particles to become embedded (stuck) in the surface of the S/S
and that is what you see rusting. The cure is to use 80-120 grit
sandpaper and go over the spot carefully with the grain. Wipe the dust
away often so you don't reembed the steel particles. Finish with a
blending pad. Another posability is that something above the car is
rusting and the water is dripping down onto the car with the rust
causing the stain. In any case the cure is the same.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_h...>

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:28:06 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Re: Grounding Each Speaker Individually

If a head unit is designed to perform with four separate amplified outputs
(with minimal distortion, proper load balancing and high reliability - even
at high volume - and even with the balance or fader controls near their
extremes), why would anyone want to short the floating grounds of these
separate, clean outputs together?

Some of the suggested "common floating ground" solution mentioned "might"
work with "some" amps, without "significant" reduction in performance, (at
least for a while) but I sure wouldn't want to be the one responsible for
telling people not to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:12:04 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Keeping the engine running

Do you have spark? Did you run out of fuel so it doesnt have anything to
run on? They are obvious questions but things to check.

Samuel

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:28:27 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: Warning For Parts On E-Bay

PUBLIC NOTICE TO ALL DML MEMBERS AND ALL PARTIES INTENDING TO BID ON CLAUDE
LANDI'S E-BAY AUCTION

 The parts being sold on eBay where previously sold to P.J.Grady Inc. and
paid for by me. Two CERTIFIED BUSINESS CHECKS TOTALLING
$24,200 DOLLARS were given to him to complete the transaction. He stated in
public that I paid him with personal checks and did not act in good faith
both of which are lies and there are many others. I ignored all of his posts
on the DMC Forum because I knew, given enough rope, he would hang himself
(Legally not physically). He has completed the job and it is time to stand
up. The eBay items below appear to be stolen items that I bought but could
not locate and he had agreed to allow me to return for any overlooked items.
Items for sale that I didn't list I considered garbage and asked him to
throw out. Since he intends to sell this garbage I choose the right to come
back and take any and all items as I choose. I responded this morning asking
for paid invoices dated after my transaction to document his legal
possession of said parts and have received his reply admitting that we
overlooked or didn't want all of these parts. I repeat THESE PARTS BELONG TO
P.J.GRADY INC. AND ARE STOLEN MERCHANDISE whether they were overlooked or
not. I would advise the two current bidders to withdraw their bids and file
a complaint against Claude Landi as I intend to do. The specifically
disputed auctions are as follows, #2469381408, #24694401379, #2469463894,
#2469394898, #2469343814, #2469276137, #2469173917, #2469340536,
#2469340536, and possibly #2469172342

This last item is a six hour video tape that he said I could sell if I
wished. I did not ask for his written permission because these tapes are
pieced together from dozens of both public and private sources and I believe
it is illegal for anyone to sell them. If anyone feels they have copyrights
for any of these tapes please contact me for evidence to support your claim.
I haven't had a chance to view the entire video yet but after I do I will
attempt to contact these people. I believe my friend Robert Lamrock may be
one of them as Ken Koncelik has told me that he owns the rights to most of
the original factory footage. He should pay for copyright infringement.

One of the main reasons I purchased this inventory was to relieve the
DeLorean community of this lying, stealing, libeling, delusional, and
misinforming scourge to said community.
How many of you remember Claude's post a few years ago about how he could
remove a door without first slackening the torsion bar? There were two doors
in his basement that he swore were good when he put them down there but I
could not confirm this on my pre-purchase initial inspection due to
inoperative lights in his basement and being buried under many pounds of
debris such as wood, old cans of junk, filthy parts from various car
cannibalizations, laundry baskets full of filthy cloths/rags? Etc... You get
the idea.

Anyway when these thoroughly trashed and damaged doors were finally
excavated Claude denied he knew about their previously damaged condition,
stating it was not his responsibility, and refused to make a price
adjustment. Only after about 45 minutes of intense negotiation and a night
to think about it did he agree to take off $800. I had requested he drop the
price by $3000- only because I had already given him the initial check for
$22000- and knew he would never agree to a refund.
I asked him how the one door got so damaged by both hinge mounting areas and
he replied it was from removing it with the door torsion bar still under
tension. I then asked him about the misinformation in his old post and he
stated that it "could be done, not that you wouldn't damage the door doing
it"! It was the one of the few times I can recall him smiling that day
(except for our cameras). This also proves he lied about not knowing the
doors condition in front of three witness's besides misleading DMLers in
general with potentially dangerous and at least damaging advice.

I have only scratched the surface here and have much more to add in support
of these and other claims against Claude. I believe Claude is going to have
a very interesting time the next oh...say couple of years.

Sincerely,

Robert Grady
P.J Grady Inc.
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:17:09 -0800
From: "murray fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: History of Gull Wing Cars

I had two BMW Isetta's.....little fun car....not QUITE gull wing though and
only one...usually referred to as the Bubble car.  One cyl BMW Motorcycle
engine.  Idled so slow, I would open the front door, step out in front of it
and let it follow me like a puppy dog (in parades)  This was in 58.
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:47:13 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_u...>
wrote:
<snip>
> 3. Delorean DMC 12  the article calls it  a "monumental cock-
> up . . . and the Douvrin V6 struggled to haul its heavy stainless
> steel-clad shell with any vigor." <snip>

and...
<snip>
> The writer did not like the Deloreans and didn't even bother
putting
> a picture of the car in the article although he did have a BTTF
> poster in it.<snip>

Sometimes I tire of hearing of our cars being not only mis-
represented, but downright bashed on in prominent auto magazines and
features. I realize not everyone is in love with the DeLorean but
really...

That said, I have noticed an increase in the number of positive looks
I get from people on the highway lately. Most of those who have been
eyeballing me drive high-end cars like BMW Z3's, 740 il's to name a
couple. I even caused a guy to crash his golf cart yesterday while I
was driving past the course! He was ok, fortunately.

I've been busting my chops to make my car clean, and presentable to
help show DeLoreans in a positive light.

Rich A.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:00:31 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: VGA Display

Has anyone put a computer display in their cars?  So far I have spent
over $800 and not found a good 7" vga LCD display.  Has anyone out
there found one?

I bought the Lilliput 7" vga with video and touch screen. It is
nearly un-viewable in the daylight even with the brightness turned up
all the way. In addition the touch screen is very unstable and seems
to drift a lot.

Then I bought the Xenarc 7" TSV it seemed a bit brighter indoors and
the touch screen seemed better, but I never got a chance to test it
in the car as the vga connector snapped off the side f the monitor.
Very cheaply made for something that costs 520 bucks.

What do you recommend?

Thank you,

Dave & 6530

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:58:45 -0500
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: coolant smell when heater is on

Just wanted to ask why I am smelling coolant after my heat starts running. I understand the basics of how a heating system works and that coolant runs under the passenger dash but what would cause it to smell? My coolant level has not changed and there are no leaks from under the passenger dash. Anyone else smell coolant when their heat is running? Any ideas what I need to do to fix it? I am also wondering if a light smell of coolant is normal with our system.

thanks
Mike C

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:41:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: That darn water return pipe

  You know that water return pipe (part # 102482) that lies underneath your intake manifold and Y-shaped water pipe?  Well, if your engine was neglected before you bought your car, and you're doing a thorough engine restoration (like me right now) after 23 years of neglect like mine, your pipe has probably rusted through.  I thought if anyone else was in this unique predicament, you'd probably like to know that Rob Grady and John Hervey both sell kits to fix this problem.  You can get an idea on how it looks at http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/New-Delorean-Products.html.  In all fairness to Rob because I will state right here that I support both of these gentlemen, I could not find a spot where Rob has this pictured on his website.  I only used John's web address/picture to point out how it looks and give people a chance to see it for themselves; it does not show favortism nor lend support to any one "supplier" or "vendor" more than the other.

Since this part is not made anymore (unless you specially want to pay the UK to make you one - EEK!) and you're not owned by DeLorean One, it can be quite hard to find.  I prefer the DeLorean community to be open, and I like seeing improvements and solutions made to stop problems like this.  I do not, nor will I ever support anyone who tries to monopolize and make parts inaccessible to the majority of the community.  Kudos and bravo to Rob and John, thank you both for continually improving the community and making the DeLorean more a reality rather than just a dream.  Oh, and Rob I checked that rack boot as you recommended - no rust nor corrosion *whew!*.  Thank you Rob for helping me there.

Private message to Ed - "HA!". =P

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:02:35 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What's the author's name?  I remember browsing through a bookstore a
couple of years ago, and I ran across a Classic Car book by a guy
named Quentin Willson.  Apparently, he's praised as a very
knowledgeable automobile "aficionado" in the UK.

I was flipping through the book, looking for the DeLorean, and sure
enough, it was there.  I was disappointed when I started reading,
however.  Almost every sentence written in the book about the D was
both derogatory and absolutely false.  If I remember correctly, the
book seemed to imply that Willson owned (or had owned) a DeLorean,
but I could not believe that.

Willson hates DeLoreans with a passion, but seems to know nothing
about them.  There are lots of things about the DeLorean not to like,
but all of the reasons he described were either totally false, or
they applied equally well to other cars that he raved about in the
very same book.

I didn't buy the book.  I wouldn't want the guy to get a single dime
of my money.  Perhaps he has a tremendous bias against JZD or the
DeLorean marquee that has blinded his objective nature.  But that
just proves to me that, at best, he is an unreliable source of
information with regard to automobiles.

Aaron

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:18:58 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: Secret Audio stereo system

I have been looking at the Secret Audio units for possible installation in
my car.

Here is a site that lists them.

http://www.soundmove.com/secretaudio.htm

Has anyone on the list used this system?

I am curious what your opinion is based on your first hand experience.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA
DOC-UK 357 Magnum
DOA

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:58:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Sonny V <sonnyvr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: angle drive update

Just an update on my new DMCH angle drive. I passed
the 1500 mile mark on it over the weekend, and the
last 150 or so miles on it last week and this weekend
were in some serious rain. Still going strong.

Sonny V.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:55:15 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: VGA Display

I used to have a 10.4" in my car and it was 450 nits.  To me, this is
the bare minimum as far as brightness goes.  Don't buy anything with
less, or expect to only view it once the sun goes down.

.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:52:40 -0500
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 02:00:31PM -0000, drdhdmd wrote:
> Has anyone put a computer display in their cars?  So far I have spent
> over $800 and not found a good 7" vga LCD display.  Has anyone out
> there found one?

Check http://www.dashpc.com/ for info on this (and on wiring computers
into cars in general).

Noah

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:11:43 -0500
From: "Florian Uhlemann" <F.Uhlemann_at_dml_web.de>

Hey,

just wanted to let you know that ALPINE makes some real nice display. I
haven't seen them in real nor used them, but they seem to be really good!

Have fun
Florian

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:25:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have considered this too.. many of the screens I
found were not standard VGA.

My thought was to try one of the screens used on a POS
(Point of Sale) computer, like they use in
restaurants.  They usually look good...  I guess they
are expensive, but have not been motivated enough to
really check..  Just an idea, let us know what you do!

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:29:16 -0000
From: "simioid2001" <simioid2001_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Hi Dave,

I am just about to attempt a Lilliput installation, your news is not
good for me! I am building a housing for the screen (covered in
black leather) and hope to sit it on top of centre consol, your post
makes me think I should recess the screen to offer it some shade.

Do you think that will help?

Sorry to hear it's going badly.

Regards

Gary
"BAKNTIM"0891
DOCUK257

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:10:34 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Dave,

We have also been investigating a touch screen for a car.  I have not
found a good one yet.  The only interesting one to check out was the one
available in the Buick Rivera's in the 87-89.  The 89 had a touch screen
that had very good visibility and did some very cool monitoring of the
car and trip items.

Main drawback is that is was not color - only B & W. (actually green
letters).   Interesting interface though.

We are looking at multiple TFTs or  multiple 2" Blue and white displays
with Basic Stamps.  We already have one of these and they appear to be
very good.  Just need more time.  Or more money so I can retire and play.
Know any money doners?

BOB

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:01:13 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: coolant smell when heater is on

Hot antifreeze has a very strong pervasive odor. You could have a leak
anywhere and still smell it from the driver's seat. Doesn't need to be
a very big leak either. Follow all your lines to ensure the cooling
system is tight.

If your heater core is indeed leaking you may smell the ethel glycol
at any time except "Max A/C" (only time DeLo coolant doesn't pass
through the heater core is that position on the mode switch, which
routes vacuum to the heater core shutoff valve), not just "Heat". You
could even smell it in the "Off" position. Note that your heater core
can leak outside the passenger compartment, where the hose barbs are
actually located.

If the inside of your windows "fog up" unbearably (people call it "the
fog", but ethel glycol is closer to a "slime" -- the more you try to
clean it off, the worse it gets), your heater core is definitely
leaking. Is worse in colder weather. You can always spot a car with a
leaking heater core roaring down the road in the dead of winter with
all the glass hopelessly white, the driver's window rolled down, and
his head stuck out trying to see.

There are so many DeLoreans still running around with factory original
coolant hoses (and O rings/pipes) somewhere in the system that I
wonder if we may be on the verge of a marque wide problem akin the the
recent TAB crisis. An owner can loose coolant through a broken heater
core hose as well as a broken radiator hose, with catastrophic results
to the all aluminum engine. I'm running a replacement Renault block
precisely because my car's original owner melted the factory one.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:43:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you smell coolant than it is leaking somewhere. You could be
drawing the smell in from the radiator or the hoses going to the
heater core. The best way to find the leak is to pressurize the system
with a teaster and go looking. Generally if you have a leaky heater
core the windows also fog up. If all you are getting is the smell the
core may be OK but something else is leaking somewhere! If it comes
and goes maybe it's the guy next to you? The best insurance is to just
change every hose. Look over the radiator. Look carefuly at the end
tanks. If you see any evidence of green staining than it is on
borrowed time. No one should be driving their Delorean on the
origional hoses! After 23 years it is just asking for trouble.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:38:21 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Warning For Parts On E-Bay

I have no interest in either P.J. Grady, nor Claude. However, looking
at one of the items that is currently selling on eBay, I felt that I
did need to chime in on something.

Item #2469401379 is listing a pair of wood panels that sit behind the
seats. I would seriously advise against buying these. Rob's
descriptions aside, when you buy parts like this, you really don't
know where/how they've been stored. With wood being as absorbant as
it is, and most garages being cold, damp places, you really don't
know if, or perhaps how badly these kind of pieces might be infected
with mold, spores, fungus, etc... And since these are interior pieces
for the passenger compartment, you really wouldn't want to be
breathing in anything that could be possibly pose a health hazzard,
depending upon one's own allergies.

I'm a big supporter of recycling automotive parts, and installing
OEM/NOS whenever possible. But when it comes to things like this, I
personally wouldn't buy used. Fabricating a new set of these pieces
isn't difficult at all. The same with carpet, headliners, ducting, or
anything else. If you're unsure if it's been stored safely, or you
can't easily sterilize it, then avoid it, and either buy it new, or
build it from scratch. As someone who has run in to allot of hidden
dangers with the restoration of their own car that no one tells you
about, I speak from experience (I'm the one David mentioned, that had
his entire house invaded with spiders) . A clogged A/C drain tube
caused mold to form under my carpets, and mine was a car that was
stored out side, in the desert. For months untill I cleaned the
carpet, and sterilized the floorboard, I drove around with a headache
that didn't easily go away when I got out.

Just a heads-up that I wanted everyone to know about.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:24:10 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: That darn water return pipe

You can replace that pipe with a contiguous piece of hose from the
aluminum lines under the car. Owners occasionally theorize that it's
there because of an inhospitable environment under the intake
manifold, which is obviously incorrect because there's a piece of very
ordinary hose between it and the pump! I've also heard that it's there
to prevent collapse under suction, again untrue not only because of
the hoses on either side, but because the "pump" is actually a simple
rotating impeller that merely moves coolant in the right direction
(pressure is created by expansion). Besides, that line is full at all
times except "Max A/C".

Truth be told, the only purpose of the pipe is probably to locate a
hard hose barb in an exposed location for ease of assembly line
production (engines left Douvrin France as complete units, with intake
manifolds already in place, ready to drop into a car).

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:56:56 -0000
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: angle drive update

I just had to reply to this. A friend of mine replaced his Angle
drive with A new one from DMCH a few weeks ago. He didn't even make
it out of his driveway and it failed. The wire twisted off at the
base ofsquare flats. I am sure it was just a FLUKE! DMCH promtly
replaced it. The broken one was sent back to them so they could
examine it for defects. I don't know how the replacement one worked
out yet. But I'm guessing its fine.

Dennis 5180