From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1943
Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 3:22 PM

1. Re: VGA Display
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

2. Re: Re: That darn water return pipe
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

3. RE: VGA Display
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

4. Re: VGA Display
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: VGA Display
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: DMCH on/off switch
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

7. Re: DMCH on/off switch
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. Re: DMCH on/off switch
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

9. RE: DMCH on/off switch
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: DMCH on/off switch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. RE: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. RE: coolant smell when heater is on
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: Front Windshield Installation
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Correction: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. RPM equated with speed
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

17. Driver side compartment speaker.
From: "Dustin Dewey" <dmc5000_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. lubricating the suspension
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>

19. Re: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

20. Garmmin StreetPilot 2610
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

21. Re: RPM equated with speed
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. RE: Re: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. RE: DMCH on/off switch
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. Re: VGA Display
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: lubricating the suspension
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:45:07 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: VGA Display

Eclipse 7002 is a real nice head unit with a LCD display, i have this
in my 98 Explorer with a DVD player and it has an excellent picture.

Mark V

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 04:25 PM, Marc Levy wrote:

> I have considered this too.. many of the screens I
> found were not standard VGA.
>
> My thought was to try one of the screens used on a POS
> (Point of Sale) computer, like they use in
> restaurants.  They usually look good...  I guess they
> are expensive, but have not been motivated enough to
> really check..  Just an idea, let us know what you do!
>

> --- drdhdmd <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone put a computer display in their cars?  So
>> far I have spent
>> over $800 and not found a good 7" vga LCD display.
>> Has anyone out
>> there found one?
>>
>> I bought the Lilliput 7" vga with video and touch
>> screen. It is
>> nearly un-viewable in the daylight even with the
>> brightness turned up
>> all the way. In addition the touch screen is very
>> unstable and seems
>> to drift a lot.
>>
>> Then I bought the Xenarc 7" TSV it seemed a bit
>> brighter indoors and
>> the touch screen seemed better, but I never got a
>> chance to test it
>> in the car as the vga connector snapped off the side
>> f the monitor.
>> Very cheaply made for something that costs 520
>> bucks.
>>
>> What do you recommend?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Dave & 6530
>>

>> To address comments privately to the moderating
>> team, please address:
>> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>>
>> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for
>> sale see www.dmcnews.com

>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>

>>      dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 02:30:14 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: That darn water return pipe

A very short piece that doesn't touch anything else and which you
couldn't collapse even if you wanted to.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:23:06 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Sadly the Apline head units are nice displays, but they do not last
long.

A friend of mine has had one for 3 years, but only after half that time,
the motors that rolls the screen out from the console, and then flips it
up died....he has to do this manually now.  It really upset him after
buying a $900 head unit.

Maybe newer ones are better..maybe his was just a defect?

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

just wanted to let you know that ALPINE makes some real nice display. I
haven't seen them in real nor used them, but they seem to be really
good!

Have fun
Florian

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:09:36 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

May I ask what the screen would be used for?
Is it for video? Video games? On board computer? Rear view display?
Why the need for touch screen?

You mentioned "touch screen", let me tell you about a the
GARMIN GPS 2610.
This is the most awesome GPS navigation system I have ever seen!
It is in color, is touch screen and even talks!
I have several of these GPS's, I have the earlier model, the "Colormap" in
my wagon.
It is mosr basic, when you want to do a route, let's say you entered
"Pigioen Forge" it would just point you in the direction and tell you how
many miles away it is.
Kind of lame.
But the new 2610 will actually map the route based on your choice of
distance or speed,
then it will give you verbal cues as to when to turn.
It talks you all the way there.
I have one of these sitting on my console dash, and it looks cool as heck at
night
and is the most useful tool I have ever put in a car.
Be prepared to spend up to $1000 for one at Circuit City, or around $800 on
eBay.
They are WORTH it!
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:19:43 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have seen a lot of cool stereos with the big video displays that come out
of them.
The problem is, in our cars the display covers up the AC vents!
In Texas, this is not an option.

So, has anyone ever re-routed the AC vents and relocated the stereo on top
and switched
places before?
Just curious, I would like to see pictures, and take notes.
- VB

>From: "Florian Uhlemann" <F.Uhlemann_at_dml_web.de>
>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [DML] VGA Display
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:11:43 -0500
>
>Hey,
>
>just wanted to let you know that ALPINE makes some real nice display. I
>haven't seen them in real nor used them, but they seem to be really good!
>
>Have fun
>Florian

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms  all in one place at MSN Money!
http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:47:47 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: DMCH on/off switch

I am not sure, A possible is that the switch is a 2 mode switch instead
of on/off, This means that the middle is always connected to one prong
or the other. A simple way to know what is going on is to pull out a
voltage meter and see which prongs have connection for each mode.

Samuel

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 02:31:55 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

When off, all three prongs float. When on, all three are connected. It
doesn't matter one bit which you use

Martin
PS We use these for our foglight conversions.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 02:27:55 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

You can use the switch.  If you have an ohm meter handy you can
figure out which contacts to use.  Put the switch into one
position and look for a pair of contacts that are shorted.  Then
flip the switch and see if they open.  That would be the pair to
use for your application.  Be sure to put an inline fuse in the
circuit to keep your flux capacitor from burning your car to the
ground.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:49:29 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Tom, The switch with 3 terminals is normally a SPDT ( Single pole Double
throw.) The center contact would be common either hot or ground ( normally
Hot ) and the others would be what you want to turn on. Meaning you would be
directing the hot wire to the load. OR, the switch could be used to just
break the connection when the load is already grounded.
Call if you need further information.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 04:14:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Get yourself a multi-meter from Radio Shack and it should be easy to
figure out. You are looking for continuity between any 2 of the
contacts that is switchable. You do not hook "ground" up to the switch
unless there is an indicator light in it *usually*. Go to
www.motorbooks.com or 800-826-6600. They can help you get a book on
car  electrical wiring. It is a little more complicated than what you
are doing. You need to get a good source of power and it is important
to protect (fuse) it for safety. You also should use the correct type
and size of wire. Learn more about it, it is an interesting subject. I
would let the antennae go up and down, that way you can switch quickly
between the radio and the C/D without waiting for the antennae to go
up and down.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:58:50 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor

Stain, If they were thinking ahead which I don't think they did a lot. The
alternator on top would incur a lot more heat and render it doomed quicker.
This is a problem with a lot of cars where they put the alternator right
under the engine hood. The engine heat with   poor circulation is terrible.
Being that I build high amp alternators,  there are some cars we won't
because of that. Now some of the Fords are putting a heat sensor in the
alternator to shut it off due to heat. We are really in a good place for
keeping it as cool as possible.
Remember heat rises.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:07:52 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: coolant smell when heater is on

Mike,
Most of the time when the heater core in the car starts to drip or leak a
little and the smell comes. Then after a while it gets worse and the
windshield starts to fog up.
John Hervey
www.speciasltauto.com

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 04:02:54 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Front Windshield Installation

You should speak with DMCH first. Since you patronized that vender
they will be more than happy to help you get that windscreen installed
properly! Anyway there is no "secret" to doing the Delorean. Any good,
competant shop can do this easily. Look in the local phone book for 1
of the many shops in your area. Many will come to your house or place
of business in a van to do it. Make sure you let them know that you
are supplying the glass. In many cases when you do supply the glass
they don't like to take responsability in case it breaks during
install. Find a shop that will work with you on this. Make sure the
wipers are in good condition so they don't scratch up your new glass.
DO NOT LET THEM GLUE THE REAR VIEW MIRROR ON!!!!!  You MUST use a
special double-stick tape or the glass will crack. Again speak to DMCH
and they can tell you all the details.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:10:41 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

DMC didn't design the PRV. It simply purchased it as an off the shelf
product already in production for more than a decade.

Stock Volvo and Renault PRV's all have the alternator mounted at the
bottom of the block, on one side or the other. Bottom mounted
alternators are pretty standard in front engine/rear wheel drive
vehicles the world over. Takes advantage of air flow under the
vehicle, unheated by the radiator/condensor, to cool a very hot device
(ever notice the cooling blades built into most alternator pulleys?).
What I want to know is why car manufacturers insist on attaching the
block ground down there too, subject to the worst road conditions for
no good reason!

That said, I have relocated the alternator on my AMC (GM 151 engine)
up high with no ill effects. Lifespan may be shortened somewhat, but
at $39.95 with lifetime warranty that really isn't a concern.

Note that relocating a DeLo alternator like that requires a different
style air filter housing -- there isn't room for both.

Location of the ignition distributor makes more sense when you study
early PRV intake manifolds, none of which covered it up. Even Volvo
fuel injected manifolds through 1977 protruded no further back than
cylinder 1 & 4 intake ports. I've re-uploaded a pic of my A series PRV
to #5939's photo album so you can see how easy tune-ups are on these
non-K Jetronic manifolds. Will also scan some of my Volvo literature
tomorrow so you can see the 1975-1977 injection manifold (if you think
K Jetronic looks funny, you ain't seen nothin' yet...)

Note that Volvo's 1988 heavily redesigned PRV -- the B280
(Chrysler/Renault 3.0) -- relocated the distributor to the front of
cylinder 1-3 head, even though its intake manifold (EFI) is similar is
size to early 1970's models.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 05:52:50 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Correction: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor

I just measured my alternator (Motorola) against the passenger valve
cover with stock air filter housing in place. Appears it could be
mounted up there with slightly more than half an inch to spare --
tight but doable. "Lower" radiator hose would be routed through the
drive belt. Belt might be tad close to the throttle spool -- one
possible solution is a Volvo water pump with dual belt pulley, driven
by a slightly longer A/C compressor belt in the outer groove.
Alternator could then be driven from the crankshaft pulley alone.

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:26:59 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: RPM equated with speed

Somewhere I found a post or a file that indicated the speed and RPM for a
DeLorean with an automatic transmission.

While these conversions are not real accurate, they will help me assess
whether or not my speedometer is behaving approximately correct.

Can anyone lead me back to the source for this information?

Best regards,
Roland Smith
VIN 6667
Oakland, California

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:50:50 +0000
From: "Dustin Dewey" <dmc5000_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Driver side compartment speaker.

Here is a fun little question.
I would like to mount a 12 inch kicker Solo-Baric square speaker in the
compartment behind
the driver seat. This speaker needs to be mounted in a cutout that is
10.935"x10.935".
I measured the opening this morning and it looks to me that it is 11"x11".
So if this is true, and
it will fit. What do I bolt it down to? Since I am new to all of this stuff,
I dont know my Delorean
inside and out yet. If I drill into the edges around that compartment behind
the driver seat, is it
made out of wood, or is it plastic, or metal? What am I getting myself into
here? lol
Any and all help is greatly needed and appreciated.

  Dustin
vin#006746

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:14:27 -0000
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: lubricating the suspension

hello list, i have noticed that my d has a creaky front suspenion,
you can only hear it when you go over bumps, or a speed bump. It is
nothing major because the suspension is fine, but do we have to
lubricate the suspension at all?.....just curious....if so what do
we use?

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:50:51 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

I don't believe that DMC had any say in where the location for the
alternator was going to be, since they didn't build the motors. They
arrived in crates, and were simply installed. Although, with the
stock air filter box, there really isn't any room for the alternator
to be mounted on the right hand rocker cover anyhow.

But I must agree that mounting the rocker cover is a better location,
as it's up, and out of the was of road spray, grime, and debris.
Which in comparison, you can see that auto makers now days mount
their alternators up, and out of the way. If you were to relocate the
alternator, function would be the exact same.

As for relocating the distributor, you've two choices there: Either
switch to a DIS setup which abandons the physical distributor all
together. Or, swap heads on the engine, to a later generation PRV,
where the distributor was located on the end of the camshaft. Just
like the 1st generation Eagle Premier motor. Steve has some good pics
of what this looks like on his website:
http://www.projectdelorean.com/

But it's a little overkill IMO just to make accessing the distributor
a little easier.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:42:18 -0500
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Garmmin StreetPilot 2610

I also have one of these units, and it is an awesome automobile GPS unit.

They are available new from www.ecost.com for $750 ($999 less the "instant discount").

-Hank

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:17:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: RPM equated with speed

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/rpm2mph.html

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:37:36 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor

Robert,
Sure DMC had a say so. Look at all the other changes that were done to the
engines around the block as to the mounting and type of accessories that
were used. Volvo had it's version, Renault had it's and so did Delorean. I
have seen 3 different types of throttle bodies used between the intakes and
there is also a carbureted version. Aux air valve instead of the idle speed
motor mounted on the intake. Sensors mounted in different places and
different values used just to name a few.
Robert, Also note that after 20 years there are still lot's of people
running around with the original alternator mounted on the bottom where it
will stay cooler. Yet, in a lot of cars today the alternators are changed
every 3 to 4 years if that long. My wife has a Cadillac El Dorado 93 model
that has a bottom mounted alternator and we changed it out last year for the
first time. Heat destroys and it's low to help keep it cool. Also an
interesting note. The Cadillac starter motor is under the intake manifold
and we changed it out for the first time last year also. 10 + years on a
starter is good.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:18:52 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Tom, Here is a link on my reference page that shows the switch lay out.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/ohmschart.jpg

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:05:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Audiovox has recently come out with rear-view mirror that has a screen
in it. It comes with a camera for watching the rear when you back-up
AND you can put NAV on it. It is not a touch screen but it is a way to
get a screen into the Delorean without a lot of modifacation.
Crutchfield has it and it is not cheap.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:15:00 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: lubricating the suspension

Using a hand operated grease gun lube the upper and lower ball joints.
Get a needle adapter and get under the boot and lube the tie rod ends.
Lube the speedo angle drive. Use silicone spray and spray the sway bar
bushings and the links on each end. Also use the silicone spray and
lubricate the upper and lower spring perches. The front springs tend
to move around a little so they will squeak. The silicone will quiet
them. You can also spray the shock mounts and the control arm
bushings. If the shock itself is squeaking it will need to be
replaced. Inspect the rear trailing arm bolts. If the car was lowered
it may be more prone to squeaking. Check the tire pressures too.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_h...>