From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1945
Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 5:16 PM

1. Re: DMCH on/off switch
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Re: Collapsing Heater Core Return Line
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Re: Collapsing Heater Core Return Line
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Driver side compartment speaker.
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

5. Re: B280 heads on B28 engine
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Automatic CG
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

7. Anyone with Carfax?
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

8. Engine Starting part 2
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. would new weatherstripping fix this?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

10. Headlight Switch
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: VGA Display
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

12. Re: Headlight Switch
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Vibration
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

14. RE: Re: VGA Display
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

15. Re: Sharp Edges Under Intake Manifold
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Re: Headlight Switch
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Net>

17. www.bttfparts.com is open for the public
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>

18. Re: Vibration
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

19. Valve covers
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:12:13 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: DMCH on/off switch

Sorry, can't resist this one: That'll have to be one hoffing great fuse
to pass 1.21gigawatts!

Martin

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:00:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Collapsing Heater Core Return Line

The water pump doesn't create a "suction". It can only create a
pressure differential. When the system gets hot the ENTIRE system is
above atmospheric pressure. The suction side of the pump has a lower
pressure than the output side so the coolant circulates from the
region of higher pressure to the region of lower pressure. In fact
under certain conditions the suction hose to the pump can collapse so
on many cars there is a spring inside to prevent that. Not too likely
to happen on the heater hoses, they are smaller and stiffer.

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:48:10 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Collapsing Heater Core Return Line

That 2" long piece bridges a gap of about 1/2". I don't think the
collapsing is a problem, but I would worry about all those sharp edges
the steel pipe goes though

Martin

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:47:00 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Driver side compartment speaker.

1/2" plywood.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:29:46 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: B280 heads on B28 engine

Problem: B280/Chrysler/Renault 3.0 is even fire. Valve timing will be
totally off. Besides, I don't think intake ports on those heads mate
up to our manifolds. Cylinder diameters should be the same however
(displacement is the same, rounded up by Chrysler/Renault for
marketing purposes). Are timing chain sprockets interchangeable?

You missed another alternative -- abandon K Jetronic in favor of
carburetion (smaller intake manifold that doesn't interfere). A List
member (not me) is doing so this summer, hopefully posting the results.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:47:01 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Automatic CG

Dave,

More Automatic CG information can be found at the following links:

http://www.dmcnews.com/techmain.htm

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/transputer2.htm

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/transputer3.htm

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> Is there any detailed information already written that will help
me in my effort to remove the automatic transmission computer
governor,  so I can open it up and check it?  I have the workshop
manual and it is not specific enough.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:39:12 -0600
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Anyone with Carfax?

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone had an open Carfax account that could run a VIN for me.  Please email me off list.

Thanks,
Jace

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:28:05 -0000
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine Starting part 2

Dear List,
  Let me add a little bit from my last posting about my engine not
starting. I now have found a way to get the car running. I use the
trick of taking the plugs in the engine bay on the driver's side. Then
switch the cold and hot starts to get the car idling ok. Then I
quickly run back and change them back and the car is fine.
  Is there a problem with my hot/cold start? I suspect that for some
reason they are sometimes not giving the cylinders any gas and it
causes the engine to die. What do you all think? Any suggestions?
    Sincerly,
      Kramer
        ~10610

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:48:21 -0500
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: would new weatherstripping fix this?

List,

Today I took my car out for the first time this year.  I guess I must be a little bit too used to my Lexus because i realized today that my D sounds like crap going over bumps and just general pavement sounds.  It sometimes sounds like the car will fall apart at low speeds!

anyway, I am thinking I might be able to kill two birds with one stone.  I feel a large amount of vibration noise is coming from my doors rattling.  this theory is supported by my door ajar light constantly flickering as well as my map light when it is in the 'door open' position.  My door switches have the correct rubber tips and i also have the metal pieces on the door that the switch is supposed to trip.  all the wiring is good and tight, so i think the door is just rattling in its latch (and yes, both doors fully close to the 2nd latch and are aligned as best i can tell).

My weatherstripping is original and is cracked in the top corners around the headliner.  If i replaced the weatherstripping on both doors, is it possible that new stripping will act as a cushion for the doors, pushing them outward against the latches, reducing vibration and also keeping my door switches from flickering?  i suppose this would help insulate road noise as well. would it make a big difference or should i put my money elsewhere?

any other advice on recitifying this would be appreciated.

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:50:47 -0000
From: "gjl463" <gjlednicky_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Headlight Switch

Hi everyone,

Greg here from Seattle!

When I purchased my Delorean this past December I noticed that the
parking lights did not turn on when pushing the headlight switch
once.  After pushing the switch a second time the parking lights and
headlights work as normal.  I have heard these switches are a common
problem.  This past weekend I removed the switch to look it over.  I
also viewed the photos in the 'techie stuff' file to review the
intricate workings of this switch.  As predicted, the plastic is
melted caused by overheating.

I have tried purchasing one from the normal vendors, but the switch
is not available at this time.  I just wanted to check to see if
there was a known solution or update to repairing the switch?  Are
there any plans on making more new ones?

Thanks for the help!

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:34:51 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: VGA Display

The Eclipse 7002 will not remove the vents but it will block it
somewhat. The Eclipse i have will bring the screen out extra further so
the screen can be turned to the right or left for viewing. Also the
screen will fold down and retract back in the head unit. The A/C will
still blow air out the vents and wont be blocked if the vents are
angled to the left and right. I have this in my Explorer with a DVD
player.

This auction shows the radio with the LCD screen retracted in the head
unit and exposed for viewing. See the top picture and the 2nd from the
bottom picture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3085158913&category=48609

This is a ended ebay auction and i am only showing it so you can get an
idea of how the screen works. I do not sell Eclipse radios or make any
money from Eclipse in any way i just think they make an excellent
product.

Mark V

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 09:19 PM, Video Bob wrote:

> I have seen a lot of cool stereos with the big video displays that
> come out
> of them.
> The problem is, in our cars the display covers up the AC vents!
> In Texas, this is not an option.
>
> So, has anyone ever re-routed the AC vents and relocated the stereo on
> top
> and switched
> places before?
> Just curious, I would like to see pictures, and take notes.
> - VB
>

>> From: "Florian Uhlemann" <F.Uhlemann_at_dml_web.de>
>> To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>> Subject: Re: [DML] VGA Display
>> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:11:43 -0500
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> just wanted to let you know that ALPINE makes some real nice display.
>> haven't seen them in real nor used them, but they seem to be really
>> good!
>>
>> Have fun
>> Florian

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:42:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight Switch

The only time I have ever set a car on fire was when my DeLo headlight
master switch melted. It is a personal pet peeve of mine:

The master switch contains a grounded device (the internal
illumination bulb, which is what I suspect melts it long term), yet IT
IS NOT FUSE PROTECTED. Fuses come AFTER the switch. Compare to the
hazard switch circuit. Stupid engineering mistake.

My master switch melted internally, shooting 12v straight down the
illumination bulb ground. Got so hot it set the switch on fire. I've
uploaded a pic of the switch and harness connector to #5939's photo
album. Also melted the bulb ground in several places under the console
(internal bulb doesn't use the bundle of ground wires next to the
radio but is grounded somewhere in back of the car).

I have since re-wired my entire external light circuit, adding a relay
for side and tail lights in the process (another stupid engineering
mistake -- while headlights are on relays, full side and tail light
amperage passes through the master switch). Substituted an internally
simpler hazard switch to activate them (just swap the push buttons).
Total load through my new switch is 30 milliamps, BTW. Of course I
omitted the internal illumination bulb (hazard switch too).

Whatever you decide to do with yours, I *HIGHLY* recommend at minimum
installing an inline fuse on the brown line into the switch.

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:57:34 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Vibration

I have a vibration through my steering column when I brake from
speeds of 40 MPH and higher.

I have replaced all of the sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, had the
front aligned and had my rotors turned (again, yesterday).

The tire tech at Sears says I have "cupping" indicating a "bouncing"
or high speed up and down motion of the tire while driving.

I'm not sure if this was occurring only before I performed all of the
above maintenance, or if it's still doing it. I do have a vibration
from 65mph to 75 mph before it fades out.

Could this merely be an imbalanced tire or is there something else I
should be looking at?

Rich A.

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:29:33 -0600
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: RE: Re: VGA Display

I can't find it on the site. Can you provide a link? Thanks!

Alex Wolf
www.deloreanowners.com

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:06:51 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Sharp Edges Under Intake Manifold

What in the world do you have going on under your intake manifold? The
only thing resembling "sharp edges" under mine are block cooling fins,
and they are anything but sharp (1/4" wide perhaps?). Hose just lays
across the anyway. I'd be more worried about close proximity of the
hose clamps on the aluminum lines under the car -- especially up front
(very difficult to attach those hoses).

Speaking of which, if "suction" was such a problem, how do you explain
the nearly 4 feet of rubber hose before and after the aluminum line
under the car? (part of which was the 2' -- notice single foot tic --
in my previous post, not 2").

I still maintain the only purpose of that silly steel pipe under the
intake manifold is to locate a hose barb where production line workers
could reach it during vehicle assembly.

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:42:19 -0000
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Net>

Hi Greg,

I just found this - I didn't get a chance to compare as far as price -
 but you
have 4 days to try.

viewItem&category=50459&item=2470392789

Not sure if this link will work - sorry.

Luis & 3723

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:21:13 -0000
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: www.bttfparts.com is open for the public

Good afternoon DMLers. I've been working on this for the past couple
months and we officially went live today. If you like the Back tot
he Future Time Machine, then this is the site for you. Please bear
in mind that we are continuously adding content. There is ALOT more
going up in the next couple of weeks...

http://www.bttfparts.com/board/index.php

In an effort to help relieve some of the pressure off Stephen and
the BTTF.com crew I decided to open up a totally new site devoted to
replicas of the Back to the Future Delorean and the fans who build
them.

In time we plan to have it ALL on this site.

Parts ID's
Tutorials
Show Off threads
Event Images
Coordinate and exchange info, parts, and stuff with other builders.

If you are a fan of the Delorean Time Machine, please feel free to
check us out.

Please realize that this is not a single person effort. Together we
can all make this a great website and a valuable information
resource for those out there just getting started...

To see all the content on the site, you will need to register. Its
really simple and instantaneous.

-Gary Weaver II
Owner and Administrator
www.bttfparts.com

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:56:40 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Vibration

I had this same problem, and getting new tires fixed it perfectly.

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:51:41 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Valve covers

Hey all,

Does anyone know the recommended FT/LBS for the valve
cover screws.  Volvo sites say 9 pounds.  The spring
washers give me the idea that when the washer's flush
the bolt is tight enough.

Also, Ill be using regular gaskets from DMCH. Any
thoughts on these.

thanx

Jordan

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html