From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1946
Date: Thursday, April 01, 2004 2:38 PM

1. Re: Re: Sharp Edges Under Intake Manifold
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Long, broken, ebay links
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

3. Re: Front Windshield Installation
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: VGA Display
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: Vibration
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Vibration
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

7. Re: B280 heads on B28 engine
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Valve covers
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. PRV Pics Uploaded
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. On/Off Switch
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Re: B280 heads on B28 engine
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. 3723 Can't Start - HELP
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Net>

13. sudden death
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: sudden death
From: "Johan Anelius" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>

15. Re: VGA Display
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: sudden death
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Re: Re: Valve covers
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: sudden death
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

19. Re: 3723 Can't Start - HELP
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

20. Odd DeLorean on TV?
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

21. Re: sudden death
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. Re: 3723 Can't Start - HELP
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Odd DeLorean on TV?
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

24. Re: Odd DeLorean on TV?
From: Warren Turkal <wt_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

25. Re: Deloreans on TV - Monster Nation 1
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:50:22 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Sharp Edges Under Intake Manifold

You do what you're happy with. Personally, if there's no reason to
change something on the car (eg poor original design, design flaws) why
bother? We have these pipes in stock, you can use a bit of hose if you
wish, and tell everyone it's a great idea if that's your poison. The
next owner will think that's the way it should be and will try to order
that bit of hose when it fails....... you have no idea the number of
"bodged" fixes we have to work through on our customers' cars.

Martin

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:49:25 -0500
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: Long, broken, ebay links

Just a tip here. If you are linking something, usually in ebay, a long
link may get truncated or broken for a lot of us who use a regular email
reader.

Visit http://www.tinyurl.com and input the long address, and it will
give you a tiny adrress which works perfectly!

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:56:43 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Front Windshield Installation

In a message dated 3/29/04 8:01:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com writes:

> ? Is the DMC windshield tricky to
> install at all? Suggestions?

If your A posts (the vinyl trim on either side of the window, inside) are
sun-warped, as many are, NOW is the easiest time to replace them, when the
windshield is out anyway.
Wayne

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:09:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: VGA Display

I apologize. I thought it was Crutchfield. I went looking in my
catalog and I didn't find it. I must have sen it somewhere else but
now I can't find it. Try audiovox's website.

Moderator's note: see if this might be what you were referring to  http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=1739947&langId=-1

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:21:53 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Vibration

If the vibration only happens when you use the brakes it is not tire
balance. If the vibration is side-to-side where the steering wheel
pulls left and right then it is a problem with 1 or both rotors. If it
is more of an up and down kind of vibration then it is usually because
of looseness or play in the front suspension. Check the sway bar
bushings and control arm bushings. Tires can also be a part of it,
check the air pressures and run your hand over the sides and tread and
feel for any lumps or bumps, cords could have broken inside and
sometimes you can feel the deformity by running your hand over the
surface. Worn shocks will make this feel worse so they can add to the
vibration.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:38:09 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Check wheel runout with a dial indicator. I believe the spec in the book is
<0.020".

Worn shock absorbers will produce tire cupping.

Get all four tires re-balanced.

Do you feel any vibration in the brake pedal?

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:22:36 EST
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: B280 heads on B28 engine

   From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

"---Problem: B280/Chrysler/Renault 3.0 is even fire. Valve timing will be
totally off. Besides, I don't think intake ports on those heads mate
up to our manifolds. Cylinder diameters should be the same however
(displacement is the same, rounded up by Chrysler/Renault for
marketing purposes). Are timing chain sprockets interchangeable?---"

   Bob,
 The heads from either engine have nothing to do with the valve timing. It's
the camshafts that control valve timing. And the camshafts from either engine
will fit either set of heads, so you could take the B280 heads and put them on
a B28 engine by using the B28 cams. The cam bearing bores and centers and all
the valve locations and rocker arm spacing is the same and the parts will
swap from one head to the other. The timing chain sprockets will also
interchange. You are correct, the intake ports are different between the two sets of
heads, and the intake manifolds cannot be swapped. So a B28 intake will not
directly work on B280 heads.  A few other problems with this head swap are - the
cylinder diameters ARE different between the two blocks, both ID bore and OD
sleeve size, so gaskets and mating/sealing surfaces are different. The B280 heads
have bigger combustion chambers, which will lower the compression ratio if
installed on the B28 engine. The B280 heads also are not machined to accept the
ignition distributor from the B28 engine nor are they machined to accept fuel
injector nozzles from the K-jet system. The head bolt pattern is the same,
along with the valve cover and timing cover bolt patterns. The exhaust ports are
also the same bolt pattern. So you could physically bolt a set of B280 heads
onto a B28 block, but installing B280 heads on a B28 engine will not, in itself,
give any performance gains. Just a lot of work to have something "different."

  Marty

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 02:11:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Valve covers

Volvo literature specifies 7 to 11 ft lbs.

I recommend Felpro's valve cover gaskets (Part #VS26090). Are rubber
faced metal, not paper. Cost less than OEM style too.

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 02:33:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: PRV Pics Uploaded

Just uploaded following pics to #5939's photo album to illustrate PRV
applications pre-dating DeLorean:

- Early fuel injection manifold (big pic I know, but wasn't clear
enough otherwise. Is converted to B&W at least). Note that the
ignition distributor is still accessible with the manifold in place.

- Original EGR design. This is what that blocked off port in our U
pipes is for. Later EGR used PCV plumbing (visible in the same pic
going from side to side of U pipes) after PCV moved to the cold start
tube.

Hope people find these interesting...

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:11:42 -0500
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: On/Off Switch

Thanks to everyone who offered advise on this.  I got an meter and did
find that any combination works for the 3 prongs.
My flux is installed and working fine.  I did install an in-line fuse
from the battery to protect the system from the 1.21 gigawatts
that this sucker puts out!

I wasn't able to install the other switch on the passenger side "dummy"
hole because I have a wiring harness running underneath it that prevents
the switch from fully inserting into the hole.  I tried numerous times
to move the harness but it seemed that the only way to really get to it
was to remove/raise the center console and re-position it.   I wasn't up
for that task as it's still a bit chilly here in Maine.

Thanks again for the advise

Tom

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:25:44 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

I envisioned Robert trying to swap heads as complete units, in which
case they would have everything to do with valve timing. Speaking of
which: are you sure B28 cam lobes interchange with B280 valves and
springs? They definitely differ from B27 (are higher and longer duration).

Everything I've read online pegs B280 displacement at 2.85 liters --
same as B28.

Compression was bumped all the way to 10.5:1 (taller or flatter pistons?).

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:09:48 -0000
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Net>
Subject: 3723 Can't Start - HELP

HI folks - the newbie's in trouble!

Last night I had to move the cars in the driveway around, since it's
been a couple of days since I last drove the D (newbie fever) I
though I'd take her for a quick spin.  As I go a couple of blocks I
notice that the battery indicator light was on - I though the
alternator was gone, so I decied to head back.  I noticed that she
was strugling to stay on - then dead.

I was fortunate that I could pull her into a parking spot in the
middle of town.  I tried a boost from one of my other cars, she
turned on for maybe a minute, but then off again.  I thought that it
maybe the battery, but when I put it on the charge at home it seemed
fine.

I tried again this morning and nothing.  I could hear the relays
going, but there is no attemp to turn over.

She had been starting without a single problem every time I tried
her - the only difference is that we have had a couple day s of rain
her in northern Jersey.  I don't know if this may have anything to do
with it?  I really do need some help, not only in getting it going
but trying to understand what's up!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luis & 3723

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:08:33 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: sudden death

List,

I just got my car out of storage and have yet to do any work on it.  the
first day out it performed just fine, and now yesterday i was driving normally
down a busy street when the engine suddenly died.  unable to restart while in
motion (the car cranks but will not restart), i pulled into a parking lot and
began inspecting fuses, ignition resistor wires, relays, etc.  it finally started
after i pulled up on the inertia plunger and let it back down.  i figured i
must have kicked it (even though it is an 82 in the new location) so i showed
my girlfriend what happened by letting the car run, then pulled up on the
plunger which of course killed the car.  then it put it back down and attempted to
start the car.  no start.  i played with the switch to no avail for a good 10
minutes, then began checking my fuses again.  i had my girlfriend crank for a
couple seconds and then i tapped the fuse box and it came to life.  as soon as
i closed my door, the car died again.  i checked the fuel pump while she was
cranking and found that it only was running for about one second while
cranking and then shutting off.  is that correct? the RPM relay is newer and in good
shape.  after sitting a minute we tried starting again and it fired up, only
to die again when i shut my door.  we limped home and now I am at the computer
looking for answers.

i checked the inertia switch wiring and it appears in perfect shape, so i
don't think it really is the switch.  any other ideas?  reversing the CPR and
cold start wiring didn't help.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:04:44 +0200
From: "Johan Anelius" <dmc_at_dml_tranceponder.se>
Subject: Re: sudden death

Hello,

Check the main battery GND

Regards
Johan
VIN5425

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:56:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Thanks to the moderator for providing the link to Audiovox. I found
another product that might interest those of you playing with
displays. It is a product made by CYRO Industies called Acrylite
Anit-Reflective Sheet. I have not seen or tried it. You can contact
them at 800-631-5384 or www.cyro.com They adverise this stuff for use
on avionics displays in airplane cockpits where the glare can be a lot
worse than in cars.

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:09:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

It sounds like you could have a defective inertia switch. Check if it
has a white paint splotch on it. If it doesn't than you should replace
it, the recall removed them and replaced them with the paint mark. If
that doesn't fix your problem than you will have to narrow it down to
either the electrical or fuel system. Keep a can of starting fluid
(ether) with you. If it dies again squirt a TINY amount into the
intake. If it sputters and runs a little than you know it is a fuel
problem. If it won't pop at all than it is ignition. During cranking
the fuel pump does not run constantly, it will run and stop.
An old lesson I learned is if it dies suddenly and without warning
suspect an electrical problem. If it runs bad and dies than it is
usually fuel. This is not quite so clear-cut anymore with fuel
injection systems but it is a starting point anyway. BTW you do have
fuel in the gas tank RIGHT?

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:19:21 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Valve covers

bill,

I guess 9 is that happy medium.  Since I already have
the OEM ones ill use them.  You can be sure that if
they leak, ill look towards those felpro ones.

thanx much,

jordan
11613

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:01:01 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Tapping the fuse box is your clue.  Your problem sounds
like an intermittent connection in the harness at the
fuse panel.  Tapping it got the car started, the jolt
from closing the door opened the circuit and the car
died.

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:58:27 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: 3723 Can't Start - HELP

Sounds like a dead battery and a failed alternator.  Take the
battery in and have it load tested.  Same with the alternator.

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:09:07 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Odd DeLorean on TV?

If anyone was watching the DeLorean program on the history channel on
April 1, what was with the DeLorean they kept showing in the
beginning? There was no front air damn for the radiator, and there was
a full size sliding window in the doors? I've never seen a DeLorean
like this, any info? -Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:01:29 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Still sounds like the RPM relay. Jump it. If the car keep running it
was bad. You do need to have it, it's function is to shut off the
fuel pump if the engine stalls. When it fails you get exactly what
you are getting.

I'd also jump around the inertia switch and see if that fixes it.
They have been known to fail internally. The inertia switch directly
grounds the fuel pump.

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:22:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Since you are new to the car and you don't know the service history
there are a lot of things that have to be checked. Check ALL the "big"
connections from the battery to the starter and alternator. The car
has to be lifted to do this. They all should be clean and tight. If it
is an automatic you could have a problem in the start inhibit circuit.
Make sure it is in Park or Neutral. You may have to adjust the linkage
to get it right. Check the wiring to the starter. Check the belt to
the alternator. If it is OK than the wiring to the alternator or the
alternator itself may be bad. The car will not run if the alternator
is bad and the battery goes dead. The motor needs electric for the
fuel pump and the ignition system to function.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:18:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Odd DeLorean on TV?

I'm sure you'll get 1000 responses to this, but that was the prototype DeLorean. It's a very different car than what JZD ended up producing, though they look very similar. To learn more about it either buy DMC-Houston's new printing of "Stainless Steel Illusion," or go here: http://www.entermyworld.com/prototype/index.html
Interestingly enough of the 3 produced, only one still exists. Lotus had these in their posession until the mid/late '90s when they destroyed them.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:55:36 -0600
From: Warren Turkal <wt_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

On Thursday 01 April 2004 10:09, TalksToGod wrote:
> If anyone was watching the DeLorean program on the history channel on
> April 1, what was with the DeLorean they kept showing in the
> beginning? There was no front air damn for the radiator, and there was
> a full size sliding window in the doors? I've never seen a DeLorean
> like this, any info? -Dan Benedek #5003

Sounds like you are describing a prototype.

wt
--
Warren Turkal
President, GOLUM, Inc.

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:53:25 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Deloreans on TV - Monster Nation 1

List,

Backyard Monsters, re-named American Monsters, "finally" re-named
again to Monster Nation 1 will be aired again 3 times in April in
some of the new members on the DML have not seen it yet.  This is
the more positive of the two episodes that included Deloreans.

The Avenger GT40 Rock Crawler has been at two World of Wheels car
shows, displayed with Deloreans, and the response and exposure has
been very well received.  And as a side note, the GT40RC took home
2nd place in Chicago and 1st place in St. Louis, for Custom 4x4.

The Air Dates and Times on the Discovery Channel website as of
March 31, 2004 are:

Tuesday, April 6, 7pm Central DST
Tuesday, April 6, 10pm Central DST

Sunday, April 11, 1am Central DST

The next tentative show for the GT40 RC and some Deloreans is the
Keith Classic car show in the Sportscore's Indoor Sports Center in
Rockford, IL on April 17-18.  Maybe I can convince Ken K. to show
the Raffle Car next to the GT40 RC at the show.