From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1948
Date: Friday, April 02, 2004 3:06 PM

1. RE: sudden death
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: Re: sudden death
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. RE: Re: sudden death
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

4. Re: Deloreans on TV - Monster Nation 1
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

5. RE: Re: Delorean Stock Certificate
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

6. RE: Engine Starting part 2
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. aftermarket auto shift knob?
From: "gzapf" <gzapf_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. clicking/squeek
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. RE: 3723 Can't Start - HELP
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. 3723 - back on the road!
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>

11. Re: would new weatherstripping fix this?
From: Bill Bob <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. carbon deposits in combustion chamber
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

13. Re: Driver side compartment speaker.
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Re: Deloreans on TV - Monster Nation 1
From: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18_at_dml_hydrogen18.com>

15. Vin 5233
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:03:27 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: sudden death

Andy, For a quick fix, try this. Ground the fuel pump with another wire and
if it stays running then you know it's a ground. Also, carry a DMM with you
and when it dies, go take a ohms reading on the pulse coil wire where it
goes in at the rear fire wall, this will tell you if it's opening up. You
know the pump / RPM relay won't run if it's bad.You could also have a wire
on the bottom of the inertia switch heating up and breaking connection.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:47:52 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: sudden death

List,

Today i did the following to try and fix this:
1. checked inertia switch again.  I removed it and found that the housing was
cracked so i temporarily by-passed it.
2. replaced fuel and ignition related fuses and put dielectric grease on them
3. added 5 gallons gas.

I drove about one mile before the car shut off after taking a normal corner,
but it immediately restarted as i coasted and turned the key.  i noticed that
the rest of the way home, my Tach would stutter every now and then, like make
a single jerking motion as if the car died for a split second.  it didn't shut
off the rest of the way home (another mile).

I then checked my negative ground on the battery and was able to turn it
about 3/4 of a turn.  i didn't test drive after that because it was getting late.
could that be the problem?

any other suggestions?  ALL parts in the fuel tank are less than 2 years old.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:12:52 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

To Andy, Dave S. & Dave T,

UPDATED RPM relays (OEM not NOS) and Inertia switches (1982-3 spec) almost
never fail. It sounds like a loose/dirty electrical connection in the
ignition circuit would be the most likely cause. Check /clean the
connections at the ballast resistor, Coil and coil box plug-ins, and the
hookup at the ignition ECU in the order mentioned and you're likely to
stumble on the cause IMHO. Let us know what you find?

Rob Grady

Still sounds like the RPM relay. Jump it. If the car keep running it
was bad. You do need to have it, it's function is to shut off the
fuel pump if the engine stalls. When it fails you get exactly what
you are getting.

I'd also jump around the inertia switch and see if that fixes it.
They have been known to fail internally. The inertia switch directly
grounds the fuel pump.

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:15:41 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Deloreans on TV - Monster Nation 1

And while we are on the subject of the Rock Crawler, a big thanks to
Rich and Steve for bringing it to the St. Louis World of Wheels
show!  We also had three DeLoreans displayed with the GT40 and the
group attracted alot of attention.  And that attention was positive.
The show reflected very well on the D owners who participated in the
build of the RC and that positive view is spreading to other D owners.

Thanks again to Rich and the build team for the positive effect the
GT40 is having on the DeLorean community.

Ron

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:34:11 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Delorean Stock Certificate

Normally I never post to the list about ebay stuff, however, a number of
people on the list had asked me to sell one of my original DMC Stock
Certificates.

I just wanted to let you guys know that it was on ebay.

Thanks.

Jack.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:19:16 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Engine Starting part 2

Kramer, You can have the typical hot start problem with the accumulator or
the if a tune up hasn't been done, then the 02 may need replacing and
re-adjusted. The only other thing may be a vacuum leak or the 02 setting.

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 05:53:30 -0000
From: "gzapf" <gzapf_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: aftermarket auto shift knob?

Has anyone put an aftermarket shift knob on their automatic
transmission Delorean?  Does anyone know if it's possible /
impossible?

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:12:42 -0500
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: clicking/squeek

Got in my D this morning and started to work.  A couple miles from home I
heard a sound somewhere between a click and squeek.  When I push in the
clutch a couple times (coasting at about 30 MPH) the sound went away.  This
seems a little wierd because the sound seemed to be coming from the binical
area (so I'm thinking speedo cable).

A little further down the road the sound continued regardless of clutch
position.  Pushed in the clutch to shift one time and the speedo began
ossilating within a 30 or so MPH range.  Stopped at a traffic light shortly
after that and the needle never came off zero from that point on.

Is this typical of a broken cable, connector falling off the back of the
speedo, lubrication problem, comming hurricane, or something else?

Would appreciate some thoughts before I get the tools out and prove how
"knowledgable" I am (not) this weekend.

Thanks,
Ed

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:58:01 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: 3723 Can't Start - HELP

Luis, If the battery light comes on and your above idle speed a little. The
regulator is gone in the alternator. If it's and original then it's time for
an updated one. Don't waste your money trying to rebuild the old one.They
are not worth it.

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:39:27 -0000
From: "trekkerlb" <TrekkerLB_at_dml_Netzero.Com>
Subject: 3723 - back on the road!

Hi List!

Just wanted to thank all for the help on what ended up to be a dead
battery.  The battery light still is lit, so I guess I knwo what my
first project will be - a new alternator.

One question - with all the availabel ones that we see with the usual
vendors - Grady, DMCH, Specialty... Any comments on differences?
What would the majority recommend?  I just want to make the best
possible decision for 3723!

Thanks again for the help!
Luis & 3723

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 05:25:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Bill Bob <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: would new weatherstripping fix this?

Dear Andy,
  I actually have this problem myself. I got the new
door weatherstripping from Grady and it didn't really
help me. But my probelm is due to the fact that my
doors are seriously out of alignment. Also, that the
latch from the front side of the driver's side door is
missing dosen't help. See if you can locate a
professional to help with the doors. Messing around
with them without experience could lead to further
problems.
  Hope this helps,
     Kramer
     ~10610

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:11:49 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: carbon deposits in combustion chamber

Hello,

I pulled off my intake manifold last weekend to clean things up, and I
sure am glad that I did.  My metal water pipe had rusted through like
many of the others, so I replaced it the silicon hose John Hervey
sells.  While I was in there, I pulled the fuel injectors out.  My
girlfriend works in a lab where they have ultrasonic cleaners, so I'm
going to have her clean them.  Is there anything special detergents
that should be added to do this?  She said she usually uses some
combination of water and alcohol for most things.

Anyway, getting to the point, when I pulled the fuel injectors, I saw
quite a bit of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber.  I mean, I
can clearly see a metal rod that goes through each chamber, but the
bottom of it is really caked up with a hard black material.  Is this
normal?  Should I try to scrub it out?  Let me say that I did not have
any running problems with my engine before I did this, but I like to
fix things before they break.

Also wanted to say thanks again to John Hervey for being willing to
spend time on the phone with me helping to determine what parts and
procedures were necessary to fix up my car.  DMCH should take lessons.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:48:06 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Driver side compartment speaker.

In a message dated 3/30/04 9:44:26 AM Central Standard Time,
dmc5000_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

> Here is a fun little question.
> I would like to mount a 12 inch kicker Solo-Baric square speaker in the
> compartment behind
> the driver seat. This speaker needs to be mounted in a cutout that is
> 10.935"x10.935".
> I measured the opening this morning and it looks to me that it is 11"x11".
> So if this is true, and
> it will fit. What do I bolt it down to? Since I am new to all of this stuff,
> I dont know my Delorean
> inside and out yet. If I drill into the edges around that compartment behind
> the driver seat, is it
> made out of wood, or is it plastic, or metal? What am I getting myself into
> here? lol
> Any and all help is greatly needed and appreciated.
>
>   Dustin

Sorry to break it to you but a 12" Solo is not feasible in that space.  there
is not enough enclosure behind the speaker for a proper installation.  a 10"
can be installed but the speaker has to be sticking out and would interfere
with seat travel, making driving impossible if you are over 5' 6". an 8" fits
perfectly, however, as my car exhibits.

a sub will only sound as good as the enclosure you put it in.  in other
words, a 'bad' sub installed correctly could sound better than the best sub on
earth if it were installed poorly.

see my system at:
http://members.cardomain.com/soma576

If you have other audio questions or looking for opinions, feel free to email
me.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:30:29 -0600
From: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18_at_dml_hydrogen18.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Deloreans on TV - Monster Nation 1

Sorry if I offended you, didnt mean to.

Anyhow, it looks to be an awesome machine and if it functional it should be
blast to ride in.

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:44:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Vin 5233