From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1952
Date: Monday, April 05, 2004 3:54 PM

1. PF Raffle Car Update
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Re: Re: sudden death
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. re: battery ground lug (was sudden death)
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. Re: A/C problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. RE: Re: Front Brake Rotors
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:30:04 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: PF Raffle Car Update

As most of you may be aware, I've been helping Ken out with the
refurb of the raffle car. Although I didn't quite make the Chicago
StPats parade due to an acute lack of first gear, all is well now. In
the past two days I've driven the car over 100 miles, and it is
running great. I must be getting old, but I could really live with
the automatic in a daily-driver car. (Coming from someone who owns 4
other cars with manual transmissions that's saying a lot.)

So far in addition to fixing the trans (which turned out to be a
slightly gunked-up 1-2 solenoid in an otherwise very clean
transmission) I've installed a bunch of upgrade parts donated by
DeLorean Motor Company including a fuel sender, window and defrost
switches, marker lights, angle drive, and mirror. Still go go is the
label set, the fix of a minor oil leak, and an A/C checkup and
charge. Everything on the car is working great, even the power door
locks. Ken still has a few interior trim upgrades to throw at it.

A ton of thanks need to go out to David Teitelbaum, Elvis Nocita, and
Rob Grady for a lot of information and advice on the automatic - I'd
never worked on one before.

At this point it's a very nice "driver" level car. I plan to drive it
to work regularly between now and Pigeon Forge to continue
the "shakedown" but after today's drive to the DeLorean Midwest Club
spring social, I'd say it's pretty close.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions, and be sure to get
your raffle tickets at www.deloreancarshow.com.

Dave Swingle  swingle(AT)dmcnew.com

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:14:51 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: sudden death

List,

After a couple days of checking wiring and cleaning grounds, it appears that my sudden death situation has either disappeared or went into hiding, only to show its face when i least expect it!

anyway, here is what i did.  i cannot trace the apparent solution to any one part, but i did the following to get where i am now:

1. temporarily bypassed inertia switch (stalled once after doing this so i know this is NOT the problem)
2. cleaned front extension ground and engine-to-frame ground.
3. broke off negative battery ground bolt from trailing arm mount so i wound up cleaning that area really well and replaced the bolt and nut (this area was very dirty - i missed it last time i cleaned all my grounds - probably never been serviced by P.O's either)
4. replaced all fuel and ignition related fuses and covered them with dielectic grease.
5. greased RPM relay contacts and inspected insides.  I believe PO replaced this with all other relays in '99 or '00.
6.  greased contacts for ignition coil and resistors as well as replace a somewhat suspect connector on it
7.  checked bulkhead connectors with car running by shaking them and looking for the engine to die while doing so.  no problems there.

while i couldn't find an obvious smoking gun, i drove the car about 40 miles around town on sunday without a single cough or sputter.  i'm hoping to drive it and run the gas way down so i can fill it up with fresh stuff (this gas is from october when i put it in storage).  hopefully the problem has been solved? i wish i had more conclusive evidence.  i suppose when it dies again on some bare country road i will get another crack at it!

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:02:45 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: re: battery ground lug (was sudden death)

How did you deal with this? I had a real problem recently when that
bolt was broken off (prior owner, ground was then relocated). It was
essentially impossible to get out the remaining piece of the bolt (no
where to get a drill in there). Did you get lucky and have it back
out with the nut?

It's common for this to happen because it's not obvious that there is
a backup nut to the welded nut. You go to loosen it and snap the bolt
head.

Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:12:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: A/C problems

There are 2 relays for the fan speeds 3 and 4. It could be a bad 4th
speed relay or maybe one of the connectors is pushed back and not
touching the relay. Refer to the Workshop Manual for the positions and
switch the 3 and 4 speed relays. You could also have a fan motor wired
so it is running backwards. To change rotation reverse the wires to
the fan motor. These are the most likely problems with the fan.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, casey barlow <dmc1288mph_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Hi  everyone,  I still have an a/c problem,the a/c will not blow
hard on the high fan setting.I have checked to see that the vents are
open, the mode switch is getting vacuum, when you change the mode
switch settings (a/c, heater ,defrost, vent) they all work.I have also
checked to see that the fan is turning in the right direction.The
recirculation

Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:56:45 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Front Brake Rotors

This is true. I just replaced mine with the 77 Mercury Capri rotors. $99 for
the pair at Auto Zone.

I had to cut a very, very small notch (1/8" deep and 1" long) in the brake
line mounting bracket on the driver's side, but that was it.