From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1956
Date: Thursday, April 08, 2004 3:52 PM

1. Re: vin scedt26t8bd001601
From: grooveshack_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Lowering Springs (engine swap D's)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

3. Re: Concours Judging For Options & Accessories
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: vin scedt26t8bd001601
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

5. Re: Concours Judging For Options & Accessories
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

6. lowering springs
From: "directdatasystems2000" <directdatasystems2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Re: Lowering Springs
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Lowering Springs
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

9. Ebay: "stainless Steel Line Snorter"
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

10. Re: Concours Judging For Options & Accessories
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

11. Mid-Atlantic Club Spring Socail - Update
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

12. Cooling fans won't turn off..?
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Re: LED Lights Update
From: john podlewski <flyboy_6876_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Gauge Cluster For Sale
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. PJ Grady Stainless 7mm Studs
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Manuel transmission fluid?
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Concours Judging For Options & Accessories
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Concours Judging: Key Code Tag
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

19. Re: Cooling fans won't turn off..?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Manuel transmission fluid?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. RE: Cooling fans won't turn off..?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

22. Mid State Delorean Club
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Stainless steel problems PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>

24. Re: Cooling fans won't turn off..?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

25. 7mm allen bolts for the water pump back
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:53:27 EDT
From: grooveshack_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: vin scedt26t8bd001601

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORTS ON MY QUESTION, HAVE A GOOD  1 ,
ROD MATHEWS

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:54:53 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Lowering Springs (engine swap D's)

Another viewpoint:

For those of you out there that have done an engine swap and have
added some extra weight out back, I highly recommend a full set
of progressive rate springs like the Marty Maier set that I now
have on my Grand National 3.8L Turbo powered Delorean.  What may
be a little too low height in front for a stock engine Delorean
really works out extremely well with cars having a heavy engine
out back.  The adjustable collars on the rear springs make it
easy work to compensate the weight out back and improve both the
looks and the handling at the same time.  I do have a custom set
of KYB's running on this car as well, making it even more sporty.

Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Concours Judging For Options & Accessories

With all due respect to my friend David;

Sad state of affairs if the value of all of our cars
are based on this one event.

Concours judging, as it has been done by DMCH is
simple...  Make your car "fit the book" and you win...
 Even if the book is wrong.  If this is what you want
to do to your car to get a trophy, go right ahead..

My opinion: dont have the competition at all.
Although the DeLorean Concours is very different than
other such competitions, the whole idea of judging a
car based on how "original" it is for the DeLorean is
just wrong..  First off, the changes are poorly
documented. Even if you are the original owner of a
car right off the lot and have done nothing to it, it
still may not "fit the (DMCH) book" and therefore will
loose points.  Is this fair? I think not..  Secondly,
these cars left the factory with a number of well
known problems.  Cars that do not have these things
fixed are LESS valuable (IMHO) than other "driver"
cars.  And you say the value of my car is based on the
value of the "winner" with a hazardous fan fail
system, or door lock module?   I could go on...  But I
doubt anyone even got this far before clicking DELETE.
 :)

Advice for someone looking to buy a DeLorean:  Buy a
winner if you want to win trophies...  Buy a driver if
you want to drive it!

<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:39:59 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

Sorry...

Rich Acuti (not Jordan)

Quoting Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>:

Regarding your heads: The workshop manual mentions what to do about your head
torquing - here is a synopsis (by Jordan Rubin) taken from the following URL:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/cylinderhead/headremovereplace.html

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 01:26:15 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

As Ken indicates, the judging handbook will continue to be refined
and an update will be created for the PF event.

There are two primary focus areas for the handbook update. The first
is to address the bonus points issue that was introduced at the last
event. Although that change was well intended to avoid penalizing
competitors that happened to enjoy dealer options, based on
competitor feedback it appears the pendulum swung too far. That will
be addressed in this manual update, although the specific means by
which it will be addressed is still being explored.

The second focus area is to identify items in the handbook that may
be questionable and perform additional research in order to further
improve the accuracy of the handbook. The handbook is the result of
substantial research initially performed by James using multiple
sources, but as everyone knows the records for our cars can not only
be spotty, but in some instances can be outright misleading. We are
collecting a list of handbook items now that additional
research/refinement will be done for.

If you know of specific discrepancies in the handbook, please drop
me a note on the side clearly identifying the item in question as
well as details on the basis for the assertion that the item may be
in error.

The handbook will continue to be updated using the best available
information in order to ensure it is as accurate as possible.

I look forward to seeing the roundup of exemplary cars at the PF
competition.

     Knut

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:06:13 -0000
From: "directdatasystems2000" <directdatasystems2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: lowering springs

PJGrady front springs are very very good. You will also need an
adjustable rear lower control arm(s). The best that I have found come
from Martin Maier DBA Wing Worx  1-618-259-8149. The difference in
handling is amazing. Good Luck   Jim.

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:34:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Lowering Springs

On my first DeLorean I had the "cut and swap" sping
lowering done by the DeLorean Motor Center.  Nice for
a boulevard cruiser in L.A. but not so nice for the
mountains of Colorado.  As mentioned a day or so ago,
I now have the Grady 1.5" lower front springs and the
Maier shocks with the adjustable colloar on the rear.
IN NEITHER CASE HAVE I INSTALLED THE ADJUSTABLE LOWER
CONTROL ARMS.  My tire wear on the rear is fully
satisfactory and, like most cars, the rears outlast
the fronts.

Too often people will tell you what you "have to get".
 In the case of the DeLoreans, that does not alwasy
seem to be the case.  Take your pick of the springs
offered.  Give 'em a try. And then IF YOU SEE ABNORMAL
WERAR on the rears, you may want to invest in the
adjustable lower control arms.

Until then, save your money.

Dcik Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:40:42 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

The darty, choppy ride is a result of the changing suspension
geometries front and rear.  Don't underestimate the necessity
of modifying the rest of the suspension to correct the
geometric changes when you lower your car.  It's more than
just a matter of driving comfort - it's a matter of maintaining
control of the vehicle.  This is exactly why many large
insurance companies are dropping coverage on modified import cars.
Their suspension modifications make the car a larger risk because
of loss of control issues.

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:13:48 -0400
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: Ebay: "stainless Steel Line Snorter"

http://tinyurl.com/2rgem

I guess it will never end.

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
http://www.88-mph.com <http://www.88-mph.com/>

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:20:35 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Marc - the process DMCH uses is not very different than
how the Mustang Club of America or the National Corvette
Restorers Society run their concours events.  The
judges have a book based on the best information
available about the particular vintage of cars.
Early Mustangs are particularly difficult to judge
given the number of options available and the fact
that most option packages did not have any correlation
to the VIN.  There are 110% of the total number of
1965 Mustang GTs on the road today because of the
ease of adding the options.  And there is no way to
tell if the car was originally built that way.  And
you want to talk about picky?  Just wait until you
lose points at an NCRS judging because the OK stamp
on your rocker cover is "too crisp".

If someone finds a documented original car - single
owner, low mileage, documented service history, etc.,
the MCA and NCRS change their judging books.  I would
imagine that if someone had a DeLorean like that, DMCH
would change their judging criteria, too.  They just
need to know about it.

Your advice to buy a driver if you want to drive it
and a winner if you want trophies fits any marque of car.
DeLoreans are not unique in that respect.

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:43:43 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Mid-Atlantic Club Spring Socail - Update

We have updated information for you about the Mid-Atlantic club's spring
social on May 1st at PJ Grady's in NY.

Check out the latest info (including hotel reservation info) at
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/events.htm#spring

Hope to see you all there!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

For any questions about the event email:
springsocial(at)deloreanmidatlantic.com
<mailto:springsocial_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com?subject=Delorean
MidAtlantic Spring Social>

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:10:50 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Cooling fans won't turn off..?

Ok, here is the scenerio....
My fans turn on when the A/C is on and turn off and on with the
cycling of the A/C compressor.  However, when they are activated by
the otterstat they stay on.  The system never cools past the first
mark in order for the otterstat to turn them off. It will stay at
this point for hours and never overheat it just never gets cooler and
the fans saty on.

I have replaced the otterstat (the old one was bad and didn't work at
all) and replaced the cap on the stainless coolant bottle becuase it
was getting old (the new one is a 16 psi cap like the old one).  I
bled the system forever and there are no air bubbles in it.  I have
even gone back and checked after a day or two.  The only time the
fans do turn off is when is is fairly cool out.

I'm in Florida and it hasn't even gotten to the HOT of summer
yet....any help would be appreciated....

Michael
VIN#2944

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: john podlewski <flyboy_6876_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: LED Lights Update

Bob, I forgot I'm also interested in An Indingo kit for my dash.  Not sure if your product will do what I'm looking for it, to do?
I would like something similar to The D.A.R.T web site I'm sure your familiar.
Also interested in the dome lights leds to match.
I think BLUE And RED would look cool similar to the new V.W's with the added bonus of blacklight for a glow in the dark effect. Let me know as well as, the BTTF stuff?
First I do need to get my speedo converted to 140 MPH so it will be after that, of coarse.
-------------
Robert Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
I had made a post earlier about LED lights...
Well to update that, I have them now.
I researched them for days and bought hundreds of dollars worth of
these from all sorts of sources.
Now that I have tested them out today I think I have founf the perfect
combination of LED lights.

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Gauge Cluster For Sale

I've finally got all the new gauges that I'll be
installing in 02650 so I'm putting the original
cluster up for sale.  All the gauges work fine and the
odometer reads "28603.1".  As with many original
clusters, it does need to have the trip reset knob
replaced.  I like Josh's pricing method of "1/2 new"
so I'm looking to get at least $160 for the unit.  As
always, I like to post here before doing the ebay
thing.  For a picture of the cluster:

http://www.projectdelorean.com/images/dmcgauges.jpg

Please email me privately if you are interested or
have any questions.

P.S.  I also have a set of Black seats that will be
available shortly.

Thanks,

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:39:37 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: PJ Grady Stainless 7mm Studs

I never claimed you sold 7mm stainless bolts. Don't think anybody
does. Fastenal still has access to 7mm stainless nuts however.

My thought was to use your exhaust studs in lieu of bolts to hold down
the coolant distribution pipe. I'll be buying 4 at Mid Atlantic for
that very purpose on my own car.

My water pump is currently held on by 8mm stainless studs and
stainless lock nuts. I have no intention of drilling bolts out when
time comes to replace it.

Biggest threat of galling is turning the fastener too quickly. Over
torquing can be a problem too, but speed driving is worse.

BTW: my exhaust manifolds are currently held with the reverse of your
setup: stainless nuts & washers on carbon studs. Don't anticipate any
future problems changing those gaskets either (remainder of exhaust
system has been converted to custom duals).

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> We don't currently have stainless 7mm Hex bolts available and never
claimed
> to. We do however offer an intake manifold bolt kit
(#1IMBKIT...$24.65) that

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 00:27:05 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Manuel transmission fluid?

Not only is this my first delorean, but it is also my first manuel
transmission car. Is there tansmission fluid like in an auto? If
there is, where does it go. Also is the clutch fluid line in any way
hooked up to the transmission? Thanks for asking these kinda dumb
questions.

Jason

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:00:50 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

FWIW, I posed this over 24 hrs ago... Before Ken posted that DMCH was
not doing the competition this year.  However, I stand by my opinions
of past competitions and hope this one will be different.

FYI- 1983 DeLorean came with both 1981 and 1982 style tail pipes.

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:39:12 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: Concours Judging: Key Code Tag

A small thing, but still...

Shouldn't the key code tag be a part of the Concours Judging?

The key code tag was supplied with the two original keys that came
with the car. For those of you that don't know, the tag is a little
metal piece with a 4 digit number on it. It doesn't correspond to the
VIN, it's a totally different number. On some cars, this 4 digit can
be found on a round, small sticker on the underside of the
ignition/steering column box.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:11:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling fans won't turn off..?

If when you remove the wires to the otterstadt switch and the fans
stop then the problem is the otterstadt switch. Other things to check are:
Make sure BOTH fans are running
Check that BOTH fans are blowing from front to rear
Bleed the radiator at the little hose fitting on the top right side
Replace the thermostat
Your car is late enough that it should have the newer set-up for the
otterstadt switch but if not change to it.
The radiator could be plugged up with minerals
There could be leaves and other debris between the radiator and the
A/C coil blocking the airflow
You MUST have a mixture of 50/50 soft water and permanant anti-freeze
Something could be blocking one of the 2 grilles like a license plate
It is "Not a Good Thing" for the cooling fans to run continuously.
They need to cycle no matter if you are running the A/C or not.
If you have any leaks than no matter how well you bleed the system air
will get back in.
David Teitelbaum

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:19:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Manuel transmission fluid?

Get out your Workshop Manual. It explains this procedure. Use 85-90W
gear oil. It is a good idea to just drain and refill with fresh. The
clutch line is hooked up to the clutch. It is also a good idea to
flush and bleeds that AND the brakes. Use Castrol GTLMA DOT 4. You
will need to lift the car to do the brakes, clutch, and
transmission/final drive. Lubricate the shift linkage too. Since you
just got the car you should perform a through inspection underneath
and do a full service lubrication. Inspect the C/V boots, brake pads,
trailing arm bolts, etc. The only "dumb" question is the one you don't
ask and then get yourself into trouble. That's dumb!

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:46:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Michael,
 Baring no shorts, I would say the temp sensor ( otterstat ) is still
something wrong there. It's a very simple break and make circuit turning on
and off the relay via the coil voltage. The only other thing I could think
of would be the relay sticking, but since it seems to be working ok with the
AC compressor I would have to say it's ok also.

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:31:44 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Mid State Delorean Club

Hello,

I have heard that there is a possibility of a caravan leaving ST.
Louis for Pigeon Forge. And that it is the Mid-State Delorean club.

I was hoping there were some members of that club who could contact
me via e-mail with more info on the caravan and the club itself. I
have tried to contact the club via the website to no avail.

Please contact me at wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com.

Thank you for your time.
Cain Grimes
vin2835

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:15:52 -0000
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Stainless steel problems PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

hello list..ok...i posted about this subject before....but the
answer did not help...ok so here is my problem....tonight, i went up
to my parking garage to uncover my delorean, just to give it a check
up and what do i see.....well, my delorean has bloches about the
size of a quarter all around the body.....massive amounts of
them....now....they look like a rust color.....but it is not rust
(obviously)...the car sat for only 2 weeks.....now i know that if
someone used a brillo pad...the grain from the brillo pad would be
in the stainless and it would look like there is rust....but that is
not the case....my delorean stainless looks terrible at the
moment...could someone please help me....when i look at my car it
makes me sad!!!:(...thank you

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:07:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

You didn't mention the radiator itself.

What kind of tap water do you have down there? If it has a lot of
minerals in it, and if you've been running it in the cooling system,
your radiator could well be stopped up. Examine the spring on your
thermostat -- if it's caked with mineral deposits, your radiator most
likely is too.

Another possibility is various "stop-up" products (Barr's Leak, etc).
Radiator passages are tiny. Doesn't take much of that garbage to clog
them. If you've been running it to deal with leaking side channels or
other ills, is time for a new radiator.

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:57:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 7mm allen bolts for the water pump back

Does anyone know where you can order the 7mm allen bolts for the water pump back?  The heads on mine are all stripped.  From what I understand, these are not easy to find.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  I refuse to believe 6 bolts will keep me from finishing my restoration.  Thank you guys.