From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1959
Date: Friday, April 09, 2004 3:13 PM

1. Re: Stainless steel problems PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. RE: *Sigh* Didn't need to take that manifold off.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Car Crazy _at_dml_ PF
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: *Sigh* Didn't need to take that manifold off.
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. Concours discussion
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. Re: Re: Concours Judging For Options & Accessories
From: "B BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

7. Re: Water Leaks
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

8. ATTN: Michael #2944 (Cooling Fans Won't Turn Off)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: Concours Competiton
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Gauge Cluster For Sale
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: World premiere DeLorean video
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Water leaks
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Dash replacement
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

14. Re: Water leaks
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

15. RE: ATTN: Michael #2944 (Cooling Fans Won't Turn Off)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. Re: Re: Water leaks
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

17. Insurance
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Yes, I did buy some items from DMCH.
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Lowering Springs
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Grey Stain
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

21. Re: Insurance
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. Re: Grey Stain
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: ATTN: Michael #2944 (Cooling Fans Won't Turn Off)
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: Concours Competiton
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Grey Stain
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:43:37 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless steel problems PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Hi,

You don't happen to keep the car in a garage that has an asbestos
roof by any chance do you?

I have seen cars that have een in garages with corrigated asbestos
roofs and when the roof drips in leaves marks on the stainless and it
is actually a form of corosion that can be very damaging to the
stainless.

or so I am told by a stainless steel buff

James

is

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:52:00 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: *Sigh* Didn't need to take that manifold off.

Mt. T, Could it be the heater control valve T connection. Here is a link to
a new assembly that shows it.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/heater-conbtrol-valve-kit.
jpg

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:37:26 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Car Crazy _at_dml_ PF

I'm asking every DeLorean owner/nut that is going to Pegion Forge if
they would mind if I registered the car show at "Car Crazy" website?
I still have few more stops to make, There are alot of DeLorean
owners/nuts out there as you people know.

Josh

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:54:05 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Here's a nice alternative to the original aluminum part.

http://www.pearce-design.com/ProductBleedAdaptor.html

Although I'll be darned if I can figure out why he calls is a
schrader valve. I have one of these, it's just a brass tee custom-
made to the correct dimensions.

The original part is aluminum and often corrodes thru. If yours was
really plastic that's a huge part of the problem - you are fixing
someone else's shortcut.

Dave S

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:16:41 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Concours discussion

Not trying to discourage it here (I find it an interesting
discussion) but there is another side-list aimed at those fanatically
interested in concours competition at

You may have to stitch the URL back together. Knut is trying to
gather more suggestions and comments regarding some of the the
hair- splitting on the rules, including the accessories topic.

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:29:18 -0500
From: "B BENSON" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Concours Judging For Options & Accessories

It looks to me like the decisions regarding concours rules are in the hands
of a group of judges whose final decision is at least somewhat independent
from DMCH. In fact they are looking for input from those of us on this list.
The main problem with determining  DeLorean concours rules is the fact that
the liquidator used whatever was available to produce those last cars. Many
were made up of  left over parts from different stages of the cars evolution
and while they worked, they veered from the manufacturing standard that DMC
had in place prior to its demise. In some instances they may have produced
cars that could be considered one of a kind. Unfortunately there has to be
some standard to judge the car by in a concours event and using the
factory's original  production standard  would seem to be the logical one to
follow. Anything other than that would be something different than concours.
If you allow, for example Zilla inprovements, to be acceptable without
penalty then what do you do with other acceptable similar improvments like
Hervey's products. If concours is your goal IMHO you should be working to
reach the looked for standard and not put your efforts into changing the
rules to match your car

Bruce Benson

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:30:36 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: Re: Water Leaks

It's starting to get warm in some areas of the country.  Have you used
your air conditioning lately?  I usually have to clear the drain hose
every couple of years - it's under the right front wheel well behind
the accumulator.  You can clean it with a vacuum or compressed air.  If
this hose is clogged, you'll have a lake in your floor as you
described.

Happy motoring,

Travis Graham

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:07:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: ATTN: Michael #2944 (Cooling Fans Won't Turn Off)

So much traffic all of a sudden I addressed to you in subject line so
it wouldn't get lost...

Martin brings up a good point: the cooling fan circuit splits to the
two fans at the engagement relay (next to fan fail). You could have an
electrical problem with one fan anywhere after that point. Feel the
front of the radiator screen to ensure both are indeed spinning
(careful reaching behind them). Don't forget to diagnose the circuits
all the way to the ground points on the crumple extension.

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 03:51:46 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Concours Competiton

What I'm having a particularly hard time following is your personal
crusade against the concours judging. Especially now that it is out
of DMCH control.

If you don't like looking at near-perfect cars, then don't. If you
don't want to enter your car, then don't. No one is twisting your
arm. As long as there are 2-6 owners who do want to enter such a
competition, and they can find enough people that will spend the time
and effort to do the judging, how is it harming anything? Ken
essentially allows it to happen, and puts relatively little personal
effort into the concours part of the show. He is essentially just
facilitating it for those who are interested. It's a pretty small
part of the show.

Believe it or not there are people interested in this aspect of the
hobby, just like there are people interested in wildly modified cars
(and trucks), rare prototypes, BTTF conversions, and daily drivers.

Dave S

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Gauge Cluster For Sale

Steve

Okay - now you've done it.  I drool over guages in
Street Rodder, etc.  What did you choose?

Dick

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:36:08 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: World premiere DeLorean video

Having purchased a copy of the video, I can tell you that it is
definetly worth the money! You'll get to see footage of interviews of
people, and even some great footage of the black cars being
assembled, and crews of employees beeing trained. It took me back how
many women were wrenching on these cars.

Only complaint I have is that durring the assembly line footage, the
audio track has been replaced with one from from a speech that JZD
gave at some shareholders, or Dealer's meeting. I'd REALLY love to
have heard what was said, and would like to know if aside from this
video, if there is any more raw-footage/Audio available?

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:03:21 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

The fresh air intake below the windshield can create problems if the
drain tube in it is clogged. It fills with water, and will overflow
into the blower motor chamber, and will leak/pour into the car.

The intake chamber is sometimes overlooked, because it really isn't
a "part" per se. It's created durring the assembly of the front
firewall. But as a side note, if this chamber is clogged, chances are
that the drain for the engine intake behind the quarterpanel glass is
clogged too. If so, rather than having water drip on your carpets,
back there you'd run the risk of having the engine suck in water! So
check back there as well.

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 07:35:08 -0700
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Dash replacement

I have a dash where the vinyl is discolored and has several cracks.

What is the recommended solution(s)?

Roland Smith
Oakland, California

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 17:23:34 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

I took most of the A/C components off my car since most were
inoperative anyway so it can't be that. I am going to go over the
drain tubes today and see if theres any clogs and etc. I will let you
know what I find. Thanks for your help all- Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:19:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: ATTN: Michael #2944 (Cooling Fans Won't Turn Off)

Bill, Martin,
As you know the Fan relay ( SPST )to the right of the fan fail ( blue )
feeds the fan fail with one hot wire and the fan fail splits the voltage to
ea fan. If the fan relay opens or closes it will turn on or off the fan
fail/fans at the same time if the car is wired as original. Normally: if
it's original and no shorts will not cause his problem with fans turning on
or off. The otterstat is what breaks the fan relay connection to turn on and
off.

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:16:10 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Water leaks

You can also have problems with condensation on the outside of
the plenum.  It is typically worse if your drain tube is clogged
or slow.

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:41:41 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Insurance

Hello:

Does anyone have their DeLorean insured through Grundy Worldwide
(James A. Grundy Agency, Inc)? If so, please email me privately. They
are continually refusing to insure me citing "lack of available parts"
even though I have faxed them the DMCH letter and talked to them
directly about this issue.

Thanks!
Ej

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:00:04 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Yes, I did buy some items from DMCH.

Someone writing a book?  :)

Yes, I also bought a luggage rack and the little bar that holds the
engine cover up from DMCH.

This was all shortly after they purchased the KPAC load.

Do you want to know what items I purchased from Don Steger and John
Hervey too??  Also got a few items from the Mid-state club.

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:02:26 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Lowering Springs

If you want cut springs, many of us have our old ones available.

I have a set of 4 springs.  The rears have been cut, the fronts are
uncut.  Make me an offer. :)

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:02:41 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Grey Stain

Vinyl "dye" is really just paint. Rich Acuti (racuti1(at)delorean.com)
recently painted his door panels with a common parts house brand
(DupliColor or PlastiCote) with excellent results. eMail him for the
color number. Over the years I've sprayed interior panels on my
Lincolns with latex house paint with BETTER results than solvent based
aerosols -- stays flexible and wears better (people who saw my 2 tone
Lincoln at Dave Stragand's mother's house last year might be surprised
to learn that the dash pad, arm rests, and one of the door pulls were
not originally blue). I do prime first with an aerosol.

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:09:55 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance

Maybe I missed something, but why would you continue to deal with
someone who does not want your business? YOU are the customer. Just
go find a more cooperative insurance company. You are honoring them
with your money and business, not the other way around. There are
companies out there (Haggerty for example) that will not give you any
of this static.

I hear people talk about this a lot, and figured this time I'd ask.

Dave S <<-Customer

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:07:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Try Eastwood. They have spray paint for plastic. You will have to buy
the primer and the color. I used it on a Dodge to change some interior
pieces from orange to black. They are at www.eastwood.com

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:15:12 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

John, the original problem stated that the fans come on when it gets hot
enough but the guage shows that the engine never cools down enough for
them to turn off. This does not sound like the otterstat to me as the
guage would suggest it's doing it's job. Plus if the otterstat had gone
wrong such that it is always closed, the fans will run continuously with
ignition. You would never be able to see the fans cycling on and off
with AC, as described.

It's perfectly conceivable that there could be a wiring fault between
the fan fail socket and one of the fans - the connectors to the fans are
open to the road for example. If one fan has failed, the car will
struggle to bring its temperature down, hence my question whether it
comes down whilst driving along.

Martin

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:14:47 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Anything for you Ken.  :)

<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:17:44 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

There's a colour from plasti-cote which is close - Dave Stragand used in
Vixen. I found that it does not match the colour of the seats at all
well if you do the whole interior. We've got some that was especially
mixed in Holland and it's a perfect match. It's not just paint - it is
"liquid vinyl"

Martin