From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1961
Date: Saturday, April 10, 2004 2:41 PM

1. Re: Insurance
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

2. Re: Concours Competiton
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. stainless problems
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>

4. Lowering/performance springs
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. Clutch bleeding-- Solved!
From: "eremhcel" <dmcfive0_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Lowering Springs
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: Insurance
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Rare Back to the Future DeLorean item on Ebay...
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>

9. modified exhausts
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: Re: Insurance
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. New Antenna
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

12. Continued: Lowering Springs
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: Insurance
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

14. White painted letters on rear bumper
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Insurance
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: White painted letters on rear bumper
From: "murray fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:27:44 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance

EJ and others,

Although not an option for most folks, I get around my limited
mileage restriction for Delorean cars with my insurance company
by owning several Deloreans.  When I rack up some heavy miles
on one, I just switch over to another Delorean and drive that
one for a while.  No, I do not have a Delorean for each day of
the week (at least not street legal Deloreans, for street use).

Since I do have lots of cars insured, my rates are about half
of what most folks pay for their Delorean insurance.  I usually
share driving duties with two Deloreans, with under 6,000 miles
each per year during the Spring through Fall months in Chicago.

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:34:17 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Concours Competiton

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> >>
> >>Dave, you going to practice pitching for the dunking booth?  :)
>
> No - I don't like waiting in line - and it's gonna be a long one.

Oh, A challenge!   I think I can heckle you in to it.

> >> I know it may not come across in e-mail very well, but I dont take
> >> any of this stuff as seriously as it seems you all think.
> >>

> I'm starting to figure that out.

Good, I dont think anything I do (delorean related) could be considered a
"crusade".

Another thing is, I rarely if ever hold a grudge.  Many times I go shooting my
mouth off without considering the fact that the people (or person) on the other
end of the Internet reading my rant are not as easy going as I am..

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:02:35 -0000
From: "stainlessillusion2000" <dmcman_at_dml_hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: stainless problems

WOW....thanks you guys...i made a list of all you suggestions, i
will try them this weekend, and hopefully try to get my stainless
back!....my parking garage is all concrete and it is a open air
garage, although there are 4 floors to the garage, my car is on the
third floor, covered but not fully.....so i am going to put your
suggestions to the test:) and hopefully they will work.....i think i
am going to buy the car cover that dmc houston has, my dad bought
one for his delorean and it works, so myabe i will make a investment
for that cover....what do you guys think?

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:14:57 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Lowering/performance springs

For one reason or another, I only get about every 3rd or 5th digest the list
generates, so I missed a lot of the spring discussion and how it started.

Our sets of four performance springs (which also lower the car) and new
front and rear shocks were designed and developed by Harvey Bailey
Engineering (HBE) in England. Harvey Bailey was one of the original team
that worked on the suspension back in the Lotus/DMC days.

We've recently contracted with Eibach Springs, Inc. to create a set of
springs and gave them one of our company cars for several months of
development work. Sales of these new Eibach springs will begin in May and
further details will be announced later this month or in May.

The HBE products are great, but because of the costs of doing business with
them (development, minimum orders, lead times, unfavorable exchange rate,
shipping from the UK, etc) our retail prices had to be quite high just to
cover costs.

The Eibach springs will perform as well or better, and at a significantly
lower cost. Eibach also has much better name recognition in the US than HBE,
and our exclusive agreement with Eibach allows us to use their name for
advertising and promoting these springs, much like our agreement with Nology
and their performance ignition kit.

It remains to be seen, but I expect to see the other vendors also carry this
line of shocks and springs, much like they carry our other replacement and
reproduction parts.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:36:56 -0000
From: "eremhcel" <dmcfive0_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Clutch bleeding-- Solved!

Thanks Ej and David T.
I was able to wiggle on an 8mm box wrench (I was using open end
wrench), then I tapped it with my hand and it loosened right up! I
didn't even think of using a socket to initially loosen it but I sure
will now. Since the screw was starting to round off, I'll replace it
anyway since I have good access to it. Thanks for the help.

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:07:25 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Lowering Springs

Good point. After a flurry of car-lowering here, I have at least 3 sets of normal springs laying around here, and Rich W probably has a  few more although he may have used them all up on the Pseudo-Rock-Crawler.

Cheap. Then you can experiment - and get good at putting them on and off the car!

Dave

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:15:54 -0000
From: "EJ Chambers" <marmieej_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Would love to be in those shoes Rich. Until that day rolls around for
me...wait, doubt that will ever happen, LOL.

Maybe one day...

Ej

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 02:18:34 -0000
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Rare Back to the Future DeLorean item on Ebay...

In case anyone was interested I have decided to list my 1/6 Scale
Delorean model on ebay. You can see the full description here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3809167697

Ebay Item #3809167697

I'm partly selling this so Bree and I can get out to Pigeon Forge
and put some more funds toward my second Delorean.

I hope someone out there will enjoy it as much as I do...

-Gary Weaver II
www.bttfparts.com

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:21:23 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: modified exhausts

Can any of you guys chime in on exhaust preferences and
applications, Im looking for an exhaust mod and am looking for some
feedback....BTW, does anyone have a soundbyte of Houston's exhaust???

Harry & 2696 thank you

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:24:55 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Insurance

it is interesting what you say about state farm.  they insured my car with
no questions asked.  rates are good and they have always been helpful.  my
family has 7 cars through them.  in my recent accident in my car I was hit
by an allstate customer.  allstate gave me nothing but trouble.  the driver
took full responsibility at the scene and allstate said they would only take
80% fault.  we had them call the cop and then they took full responsibility.
it took 2 and 1/2 months for them to allow the shop to start working on the
car (hit nov 15). I just went to pick up the car today (it'll have to go
back due to a few minor items).  allstate now doesn't want to pay for the
last few days of the rental (we gave the rental back a few weeks ago).
State farm has always been good to us and I do recommend them.  I think that
maybe the issues are with the local agent not the company?

Darkstar

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:37:20 -0400
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: New Antenna

I bought a new antenna, one of the same models that are being offered on
ebay.  I got mine from a different source but the instruction I found
said that it is ok to remove the current antenna relay as this new one
has a relay built in.   I have installed this with the relay out.  I was
just wondering if one of our more experienced electrical people can
explain the funtion of the original relay and would it be a problem if a
new antenna was hooked up to it

Thanks

Tom

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 04:09:16 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: Lowering Springs

I ended up raising & lowering the car about a dozen times as I cut
mine to the desired height. Did it with the springs in place. Would
have gone fair to crazy if I had to insert and remove them from the
vehicle every time!

Rather than traditional internal spring compressors, I used external
McPherson strut compressors. Simply pulled the springs out of their
LCA cradles, cut off a little bit, rotated them to keep the cut
spirals following the natural angles of the LCA's, then dropped the
car back down.

I figured the shock absorbers would act as safety catches if the
springs got crazy on me (note the strut compressors also extended well
below the LCA's on both sides). As it turned out neither were
necessary -- the springs just hung passively in their upper mounts.

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 04:28:02 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Oh No another insurance thread.......

Anyway - what's causing the different experiences on State Farm is a
relatively recent change at the corporate level. As of maybe a year
or two ago , they have ceased writing NEW policies for NEW customers
on DeLoreans. If you are an existing customer and have had your
DeLorean insured there it's (so far) not a problem. If you are an
existing customer and want to add a DeLorean, it seems to be a little
subjective and depend on your agent. I start and stop my insurance
over the winter, no problem, and I know that Ken K adds and deletes
cars all the time on his existing policy.

But if a new customer walks in the door and want DeLorean insurance,
State Farm will say no.

Dave S

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 06:30:36 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: White painted letters on rear bumper

I have seen a few cars with white painted letters on the rear bumper.
When I was visiting DMCH I saw that they had one hanging on the wall.
I read somewhere that there were actually about 10 bumpers made this
way from the factory for cars used in photo shoots or something....
does anyone else know anything about this in detail?

Well anyway, I think that the white letters look cool.
I have seen the stainless steel letters, and they look cool but
they sell for about $60.00 I think.
To be honest, I think there is enough stainless steel on the car
that people "get the point", and that steel and virgin black rubber
does not really go together.... of course that's just me.
I like to be different, and heck being unconventional is what lead
me to one of the most different cars in the world!

In my quest for these white letters, I considered hand painting them,
but I am not a skilled painter and besides it would take two or three
bottles of "White-Out"! - LOL!

I met with my buddy who makes signs, we took some detailed
measurements and photos and used his CAD program to draw them up
and cut them on his plotter out of a durable outdoor use white vinyl
material.
I stuck a set on my car and they look great!
Well, in order to make these there was a minimum of material to use.
I had to get several feet worth.
So I have a few extras of these made up.
If anyone wants one please e-mail me off list and I will hook you up.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:21:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The insurance thread pops up often. The biggest problem with giving
advice on insurance is that even with the same company insurance
varies wildly State to State. Each State has it's own rules that
govern the operation of insurers within that State. In some States
some companies won't write auto and in others they are very friendly.
The biggest choice is to go "classic" or general. There are varying
limitations on "classic" but it is much cheaper. The big guys like
Allstate don't offer classic so you will always do better with the
ones that specialize in that market like Grundy or Haggerty, or
Taylor. Shop around. Get quotes from ALL of them. Be careful because
you are not always comparing "apples with apples". They each have
their differing rules, limits, deductables, etc. Talk to other people
with classic cars in your State at cruise nights or car shows and find
out what they are doing. Don't forget after you register your car the
State may have their limitations if you go classic or historic. If
they limit you to 2,500 miles per year than having insurance that also
sets that limit is OK too. In New Jersey I have it as "collector" so I
don't have to go through inspection anymore. This limits me to 2,500
but I have Haggerty for $321 which is also 2,500 miles so it doesn't
matter. The one limit I *LIKE* is that every driver MUST be 26 or
older. This keeps my daughters out of the driver's seat!

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:26:06 -0700
From: "murray fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: White painted letters on rear bumper

Before I bought My D, 7 years ago, and afterwards for a time I drooled over
those stainless steel inserts for both the back bumper and the door sills,
however one day I talked to someone, actually the (then) Pres of the PNW
DeLorean Club and he said he did not put them on because he liked the car to
be "dark and mysterious".  Ho Ho.   I got to thinking about it and decided
the those words fit my thinking exactly.  You sure don't need a name in neon
signs to tell anyone it is a different car or what brand it is!!  Keep them
guessing.   If I had a choice personally, I would even have those
depressions on the bumper filled in so nothing showed at all!!      We have
had Lincolns for a lot of years...like from the first Continental until now
and I used to always have the chrome raised letters taken off the car...the
holes leaded in and repainted.   When I had that done with a new car, the
dealer and Salesmen thought it was pure sacrilege!  Ho Ho.  But every one to
their own poison I always say.
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII