From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1968
Date: Friday, April 16, 2004 3:30 PM

From: "mikepolzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>

From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: AngularTableKnight <knightoftheslightlyangulartable_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "dloreanboy" <dloreanboy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: David Cox <DMCox_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

12. DeLorean on Cold Case Show
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

13. Re: D-1 Again (LONG)
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. DMCH's Engine Upgrade
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Angle Drive Failure
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Most "origonal" script ever Wink Wink had to show this to the group.
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Transmission oil
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: D-1 Again
From: Michael M <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:37:15 -0000
From: "mikepolzin" <MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com>
Subject: Play in Steering Wheel

Hi all, its been awhile since I have posted here. But now that the
northern weather is finally broken, I am back at trying to get my
cars whipped into shape for summer.

One of my cars has what I would consider excessive play in the
steering wheel, what can I do to fix this? It is really annoying
because the steering on my other car is really tight, as has been
the steering on almost every other Delorean I have driven.

The car only has 38,000 miles on it..

Thanks for the help in advance!

Mike Polzin

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:12:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Vendor Price Shopping & Websites

Tom, I think your point was well-made, but there is a
difference between shopping around (amongst the
vendors) and being a "looky loo".  There are a lot of
younger Delorean owners out there that do have limited
funds so it's only smart for them to shop around.  But
if they're calling and taking up the vendors time,
with no real intention of buying anything, then that
is just wrong and they will end up hurting all of us.

To help eliminate some of the unneceasary phone calls
I'd like to suggest something to the vendors that was
brought up a little while back.  Put more info on your
websites!  If you have a part that costs more than
other vendors, but is in some way superior, describe
this on the website.  Also, please make an effort to
post those items that you sell, but currently aren't
listed on your site.  (At the opposite end of the
spectrum of the "looky-loos" are those that assume
that if it's not on your site, you don't have it.  And
they might not want to call and bother you by asking.)
Everyone on this list is obviously internet-enabled.
And I know I personally will hit a website before I'll
pick up a phone.  I just think a little html will go a
long way.

P.S.  Whenever discussions come up about supporting
our vendors, I often feel a little guilty.  Since so
much of Project Delorean is custom fabricated, there
have been alot of parts that I've made, and haven't
bought from vendors.  Sorry guys.  But I do make a
real effort to spread out the parts I do buy amongst
the vendors.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:49:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: 7mm Cap Screws

I can definitely vouch for John on that one.  Just got
mine in, and they look fantastic!

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:04:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: AngularTableKnight <knightoftheslightlyangulartable_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: D-1 Again

 That's one of the most absurd things I've ever read. Just because the DeLorean is a rare car doesn't mean that the vendors are obligated to treat their customers like crap.

 In fact, letting the vendors stick it to the consumers is the surest way to kill the car. In a free market economy, and yes the DeLorean is part of a free market economy, it is competition that drives such things as advances in technology that will make the DeLorean more reliable, refinements in engineering that make parts less costly, and other such things that can only lengthen the longevity of the car.

 Consumers shopping for the best price is an integral part of that system, as is comparing notes on the vendors, and so forth. Dealing with that is part of the vendors' job.

Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net> wrote:

List,

For those of you pissing off our vendors with your constant price
shopping tactics I hope you take a moment to realize you may screw it up
for all of us so STOP IT! You may very well contribute to another vendor
choosing to only serve regular full-time customers and not want to deal
with "looky-loo's" who want to feel better about themselves for getting
a bargain at the expense of all of us. Our community is too small to
overburden our vendors with this kind of crap. If you want to pull this
kind of thing sell your car and buy a major-brand vehicle with lots of
dealerships and aftermarket vendors for you to call up and brow-beat.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it!

Tom
#05732 Loyal customer of all our vendors to help keep them all in
business!!!

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: price shopping

Price shopping wouldn't hurt the vendors unless there was one certain vendor who had the lowest price on every available part. Everyone who has been in the DeLorean community for a while knows this simply isn't the case. Some vendors have better prices on some parts, others have better prices on others. By price shopping, I spread my business around to all of the vendors. I would be willing to bet the majority of us here in this online community also price shop via the internet... so we don't waste their time. In this day and age it's much easier and faster to hop on the computer and shop through the vendors websites for exactly what you need. About 75% of my shopping for the DeLorean is done that way. I rarely "waste" any of the vendors time with phone calls.

In response to your comment on all of us cutting down on our phone time with the vendors when we have problems, I have to disagree with you on this also. I've had several instances when I've had something that has stumped me on my car, and the online community wasn't able to help me. When I finally ended up calling vendors, they have said they wish I would have just called them in the first place. Several vendors have denounced the help of the shadetree mechanics in online communities. By sharing advice and such online, we're actually cutting down on phone time and ordering parts, or sending our cars to them for service. A vendors job isn't just to sell you parts and service, but also to help you find out what your problem is so you can order the needed parts from them! Vendors know when they get into this business that it's not all just selling parts and labor... dealing with the general public is part of the deal.

I take offense to your telling me to get out of the DeLorean community if I want to price shop. Last I checked, there was nothing at all illegal about it. There are many of us who own DeLoreans that cannot pay top dollar for every part. It's not about feeling better about ourselves... it's about being able to actually fix the car when it breaks. I find it unfortunate that you feel the DeLorean community must be an elitist one. Some of the most passionate owners I know are young guys like myself who don't have a lot of money. Like Ken Koncelik says, it's us young guys who are going to carry the DeLorean into the future. One day every one of our cars will be passed along to someone else. Why not be inclusive of everyone so interest in the car will remain?

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC
Also a loyal customer of all of the vendors!

--- Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net> wrote:
It doesn't make sense for any vendor to want to deal with the constant phone calls from people trying to "vendor price-hop"  I think all of our vendors agree that it is time consuming  to handle all those phone calls from people who want to compare every price on every item, get the information and then call the other vendor and try to dicker.

I take my car to Rob Grady for service and usually drive down once a
year with my "list"  While at his shop you wouldn't believe the number
of phone calls Rob gets for advise, parts info etc.....It's clearly a
large part of his day and he still needs to serve his customers who's
cars are there as well as getting mail order items ready etc....    I
wish that we could all stop and try to understand and look at this from
another point of view.

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:32:46 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: ADMIN: Yahoo Wierdness

NOTE - between Wednesday night 4/14 and Thursday morning 4/15 there
were a number of messages that were moderated thru and have never
appeared on the list or via email. They may show up someday, they may
not. If you posted in that time and wonder where it went, well, we
wonder too.

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:47:33 -0000
From: "dloreanboy" <dloreanboy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: automotive news

In automotive news april 12,2004 has a article on page6 on John Z
Delorean.The headline reads At 79,Delorean is still shoveling.In
a interview with Belfast Telegraph last week.Delorean said he is
working on a new sports car with avaition experts in Nevada.The
people we are working with are excellant. I'm very excited. I can't
stop,because this is what I do.I'm an engineer. I'm like the guy in a
hole with a shovel. All I know is to keep on digging.

The story isn't over yet!

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:50:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Cox <DMCox_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: San Diego Event - this Saturday!

Sorry for the late notice, but the day snuck up on me!  This Saturday is the 9th Annual San Diego Rolling British Car Day.  Last year we had a very nice turnout for this event, see:

http://www.sandiegobritishcarday.org/RBCD2003.html

Information for this year's event can be found at:

http://www.sandiegobritishcarday.org/RBCD2004.html

If anyone is interested in joining me, drop me a note, or just see me at Milt's

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 02:48:29 -0000
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Angle Drive - A new Angle

Bob,

Thanks for the technical "tip" on how to remove the nut on the angle
drive. I had picked up one of Houston's new angle drives, (nice
looking part I must say) and was installing it this afternoon. Very
easy removal, and reinstallation. Though had to disconnect the tie
rod to get enough swing room though. Having read your post before my
angle drive arrived I thought, I would be able to compress that ring
and get it off. Boy was I wrong, after messing with it for almost 2
1/2 hours and two hand cuts later, I took the hacksaw to it and used
the "VideoBob" method. Much easier, then just put the old nut and
metal ring on, then good to go. I would have paid $20 more just to
recieve an angle drive preinstalled with the nut. But I'll recommend
the hacksaw method to anyone else I know who is changing an angle
drive soon. Thanks for the "technical" tip there Bob. :)

Joe O'Brien

2524 & 16634

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:18:35 -0000
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: Deep Cycle

Dustin,

Do NOT put a Deep cycle battery in your car. The reason is that a
Deep cycle battery lacks the ability to provide high cold cranking
amps to spin your starter. I asked the same question to a battery
store service person a month ago. That's what he told me. Yes, they
tend to be built with thicker lead plates. But, they are designed to
draw a constant current. Its one thing to start a small boat motor or
run a constant draw trolling motor on rare occasions. It's another to
start your car on a frequent basis. If Deep cycle batteries were ment
to be used in cars, they would have been used in all of the cars on
the road.

Besides once the car is running the battery is just going along for
the ride. Your power is supplieid by your alternator. If if you
intend to leave the headlights on all day and the doors open use the
DEEP CYCLE their good for those kinds of things (LOL)Or running a
MEGA Stereo system when your hanging out at the local Cruise-in
parking lot.

Dennis 5180

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:03:25 -0500
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: Odd Hose

I was cleaning the car today and noticed a hose that was hanging below
the glove box that shouldn't have been. It is a clear hose, coming from
behind the radio, and its held in place by a bracket that attaches to
the hose that runs the AC to the door. Can someone tell me where this
little hose goes?

Alex Wolf
www.deloreanowners.com

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:35:41 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: DeLorean on Cold Case Show

This Sunday, on CBS, will be a Cold Case episode which will have a DeLorean
in it.

I just saw the preview.

Scott

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: D-1 Again (LONG)

Hello List,

I would also like to say why I agree with Tom and why it is important that we stay loyal to our vendors and try not to 'shop' so much.  As most of you know I'm in automobile industry selling new Cadillacs and Saabs.  There is so much time I spend in the day assisting customers spend hours on hours with them giving them information and trying to make a sell because that is, afterall, what is paying for my time.  When you find out that the customer went to the competitor just because he saved $500 on a $60,000 car it just means that all those hours are gone.  And what is worse than that is after he buys that car he keeps calling you for assistance because he likes getting his information from you instead of his salesman- but only bought the car from him because of $500.  Is that fair to the one that put the most time in?

I'd like to say that I am loyal to most of the vendors.  If I call one for information or help I will guarantee you that I will buy my parts from that person that helped me with my situation.  Many of the vendors know me instantly when I call because I buy from them practically everytime I call them for help. Everyone I have dealt with has helped me greatly.  All of their customer service is top notch.  When your pay is based on customer service, like mine, you understand it better.  Buying from the vendor that helps you most is who you should stay loyal with..don't shop their price, because that is what is paying him for his time with you.  We all have bills to pay.  Also, the profits that each vendor make also helps us in getting better parts for our DeLoreans through the research and development.  We all win.

I'd like to say that I do buy from DeLorean One and receive nothing but great service from everyone that I speak with there.  Everthing I have bought from them has arrived perfect.  And I would love to own one of his cars.  As with PJGrady and DMCH- I have no complaints.  I don't understand why this topic comes up occasionally. What's the point of saying one is better than the other and who has the cheapest prices.  If it were a Camaro I'd understand-- but this is a Delorean- it's a luxury toy that you can't buy parts off the shelf at K-Mart- Support the vendors.

On a different note; as most of you know I live near Pigeon Forge. If anyone would be interested in getting together maybe Wednesday night I would be up for that. Let's start the events early.

If anyone needs any help with directions or any questions about the area, give me a shout.

Regards,

Aaron Posey
3202 (currently in the carcoon-ready for the show)

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:37:47 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DMCH's Engine Upgrade

I am possibly interested in getting DMCH's engine upgrade...

I am wondering who out there has had it done, did you do your engine
or get the new "crate" engine, what do you think of the work,
how long did they take to do the work, and do you feel it was worth it.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Please contact me privately if you like.
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com

Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:52:17 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Angle Drive Failure

I am curious as to who out there has installed one of DMCH's new angle
drives, and had it fail quickly.
I am curious as to rather or not it was something other than the angle
drive itself.

I installed the new angle drive, but did not install new spedo cables.
I did pull the cables out and inspect for wear and kinks, and they
were clean. I cleaned them off and re-lubed them with bearing grease.
The drive worked fine for exactly 108 miles.
It failed after I backed up out of a parking lot about 50 feet.
I am positive it was working before I parked, but it was NOT working
after I backed up and began going forward again.

When I pulled the wheel off, I noticed that the new plastic cap
I installed was fine with no wear, as well as the spedo cable.
However, the angle drive shaft was twisted off at the end and there
were lots of little wire shavings inside the wheel.

It would appear that the gears inside jammed up in reverse.

Has this happened to anyone else?

PS- Warren did tell me he would replace the drive for me.

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:07:22 -0000
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Most "origonal" script ever Wink Wink had to show this to the group.

Moderators, this pertains directly to the Delorean and the future
image of the Delorean.

I don't normally bash people for their efforts, but there is a guy
on eBay selling a script for a DeLorean movie he wrote himself. Take
a look at eBay item # 4180831201

Just promise you won't laught TOO hard or cringe at how cheesy it
is. As a quick critical review, I think Backside to the Future had a
better script. The script is in PDF format to read it, have a look
and enjoy the laugh. Just pray for us and the dignity of the
Delorean that something this atrocious never gets made. I had a good
laugh just skimming through it.

Here is a quick link to the PDF of the script if you want to skip
going to eBay, but reading his "ad" is half the fun.

http://prototypesoftware.com/thedel/thedel.pdf

Joe

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:00:09 -0000
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Transmission oil

Dear List,
  This might be a dumb question. But what oil viscosity should I use
to replace my transmission fluid? I want to drain the oil out of my
manual transmission and put new oil in. Also, how much oil does the
Delorean Tranny hold?
  Thanks,
     Kramer
     ~10610

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:21:15 -0400
From: Michael M <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>

I agree with Tom on not pissing them off, and from what I can tell most
the vendors prices are the same + or - a few bucks.  I know that those
few bucks don't make me want one over the other, I just go to the first
vendor that has the part or parts that I may need.

I live in the sticks of NH so I can't be truly dedicated to one vendor,
I have to do all the work myself, and often have to compromise with
parts from other vehicles made to work with the car.  It is not easy and
it pisses me off when something specific breaks like the LH torsion bar
and I find someone with them and they won't sell to me because it leaves
me in a bind because I can not safely move the car.  So I think all of
us and the vendors need to get an understanding that as a community of
people who enjoy these cars we need to work together and not against
each other.  I am new here and I have only had my car for 6 months and
yet I have already been basically told off by a vendor because I am off
in the sticks and can't go to his shop directly, I name no names because
I don't want any conflict but isn't it a little obscene to think that as
a group of enthusiasts (vendors included) that we try to segregate who
we sell parts to and who we want to buy from, I mean come and grow up.

Michael #4671