From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1973
Date: Monday, April 19, 2004 12:40 AM

From: "rendycheng" <rendycheng_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

9. RE: Parting with my D
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

10. Re: Deep Cycle
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

11. Prv6 problems
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Re: RPM to MPH
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Re: Dyno Results - Grand National Delorean
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

14. Floor Mats
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

15. tires
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

16. gas smell
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Automatic Transmission Computer Governor Problem - ? Not this time.
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Fuel Pump Jump
From: "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

19. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. I have contacted Rob..thanks for the concerned E-mails
From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>

21. 17084 rides again
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

22. Re: New to Delorean
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Delorean TV Sighting
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

24. Re: No Start problem
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Transmission oil
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:34:06 -0000
From: "rendycheng" <rendycheng_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: catalytic converter question

Thanks for the reply.  I have done the major tune up last year.  The spark plugs, O2 senser
are all brand new.  The test only smog center also checks the timing and O2 sensor.  The
paper says those two are also ok.

Rendy, 4220

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:29:02 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Gathering of DeLoreans, how many?

Hello all,

I've just gotten back from our first
local/national club meeting for this season.

I use the term local/national as our entire
country is only about as large as the states
of Vermont and New Hampshire put together...

We had a count of 30 DeLoreans there, which
made me wonder what the average count of
cars is on an OFFICIAL club meeting...
"Official" excludes things like a "fridge run"
or weekend tech-session at someones house...

I know we don't have a World- or European record
on our hands, as the last Eurofest in Dunmerry
had 35 cars there, but I'm very curious if our
national record (was 27 cars untill today)
is of any significance :-P

Thanks from The Netherlands,

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
Shifting Expectations...   Driving a Nissan...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002
-------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:33:37 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Play in Steering Wheel

In a message dated 4/17/04 7:42:03 PM Central Daylight Time, MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com
writes:

> One of my cars has what I would consider excessive play in the
> steering wheel, what can I do to fix this? It is really annoying
> because the steering on my other car is really tight, as has been
> the steering on almost every other Delorean I have driven.
>
> The car only has 38,000 miles on it..
>
> Thanks for the help in advance!
>
> Mike Polzin

Mike - lift the car up and have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you
observe the intermediate shaft, its u-joints, and where the shaft goes into the
rack.  my guess is that you have the original rack, and after 23 years, it's
probably somewhat rotten inside.  how many cars are out there where you have
to check the rack and pinion fluid once a year (at least)?  well it's probably
run dry or low and it's worn out.  if you have a hard time figuring it out,
bring it to a trusted mechanic and ask them to check all of your tie rod ends,
inner and outer.  if the inner ones have a lot of play, you will need a new
rack.  don't worry. it happens to everyone!

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:38:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Deep Cycle

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, dcsj4465 wrote:

> Btw when you purchased your battery did you install it or a serivce
> shop? You might want to check the warranty to see if its covered in your
> application of use.

I installed it myself.  I haven't bothered to check and see if the
warranty applies to my use or not.  Honestly, I'd much rather have a car
that starts reliably than a warranty on my battery.  :)

-andrew

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:40:46 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Transmission oil

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:24:00 -0000,
"jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Where does the new gear oil go for the manuel
> transmission. I found the plug to drain it but
> haven't seen anywhere to fill it back up again.

Righthand side (passenger), just before the drive shaft,
there's a plug in the SIDE of the transmission.

Fill untill it starts tu run out of the hole,
then the level is the way it should be...

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:44:49 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: RPM to MPH

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:21:11 -0000,
"TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net> wrote:

> I have seen tables showing the RPM to MPH conversions for
> the DeLorean-my DeLorean's engine has a good amount of
> modifications, so would the conversions still work for me?

Depends on teh modifications done...
If you haven't messed with the gear ratio's
and if your rear wheels' OUTER diameter has not
changed too much it WILL still work for you.

Even with an entirely different engine (like a Northstar V8),
if you've got a correct tach and used the original gearbox
and wheels (or wheels with similar circumference) you're OK.

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:47:41 -0400
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Funniest Things Heard

I can't take credit for this, since I heard this on the DML or at the show at Memphis, but when someone says:

>> "Can you go back in time in that?",

My standard response for that is "Sure.. and I haven't heard that joke since next week.".   It shuts them up EVERY TIME, along with this wonderful grin from their wife/girlfriend.

-Hank

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:50:58 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: gas cap

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:10:54 -0000,
"David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:

> Be careful in picking out a gas cap. When I went for
> inspection the inspector had a difficult time testing
> the cap, it seemed none of the adapters he had would
> fit properly so I am guessing it is a bit unusual.

Out of curiosity, as over here the gas cap is not checked
with our annual inspection; WHAT exactly is tested that
they need the cap to fit an adapter??? Pressure???

> The wrong one could allow fumes to escape or worse,
> if the tank is full it could leak gasoline while
> you are driving.

Wouldn't that be impossible due to the
rollover valve just below the gas cap?

Even without that valve, wouldn't it be difficult to get
gas to spill out of the fuel filler due to the fact that
it sits about 15 inches ABOVE the tank, with the filler
hose connecting on TOP of the tank instead of on the
side as on may modern cars?

Just wondering...

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:12:47 -0500
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: RE: Parting with my D

The leak is found!!!! I am still selling though.

http://www.deloreanowners.com/images/delorean/nd22.jpg (link corrected)

Alex Wolf

From: Alex Wolf [mailto:alex_at_dml_ancira.com]
Subject: [DML] Parting with my D

It's a good running car, needs some interior TLC, and the oil leak
fixed. I hope it goes to a good home :(

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:18:26 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Deep Cycle

Deep cycle batteries-to my knowledge, are made to withstand numerous
re-charging periods. Deep cycles are typically ones you would use (for
instance) for electric motors on a boat when you go out fishing- it
will drain (since you can't just charge it in the middle of a lake)-
but will recharge many more times before going bad as
compared to a regular auto battery. You take a regular auto battery,
discharge it and recharge it numerious times, and soon enough the acid
inside will become just as useless as water, it will not hold electric
charged particles and the battery will be toast. Again, deep cycle
batteries will take vast amount of time before this process happens.
Also you might kill a deep cycle by giving it constant charge as an
alternator would in a car. These batteries are widly used in marine
applications.
-You get the idea -Dan Benedek

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:58:41 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Prv6 problems

yesterday when i started my car the idle goes up to 2500rpm for
about 10secs and then drop to 1000rpm, without hiting the gas, after
30-40secs the idle was dropping slowly, 900-800-700-600-500 beuuuuu
stalled. now its always like it ??? im now really thinking about the
elimination of electronic controlled ilde or total elimination of
the prv. i checked all vacuum hoses, spark plugs wires, wires,
connectors. what can be the problem and what should i check now ?
is it better to remove the electronic ilde or leave it ??

the problem is always when cold (warmup phase)

i also have vacuum in the hose from the air filter box to the valve
cover breather is it normal ???????

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:19:57 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

The RPM to MPH convresion is based upon gear ratios. So if you've got
a stock
ransmission, and stock sized tires, than the RPM conversion chart
will still work. Larger
tires will show slower speeds (more surface area), and smaller tires
will show faster speeds
less surface area).

This is also something to remember when buying used cars. Low miles
on a car, or truck
with large tires are probably not going to be correct.

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:30:05 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Dyno Results - Grand National Delorean

I forgot to add a few other vital statistics to my Dyno results.
Also note that I have not added intercoolers to my turbo setup.

Initial testing was done running approximately 8 pounds of boost
and GN engine should easily handle 10-12 pounds of boost without
concern over detonation (with the current stock Buick chip, etc.)
The anticipated chip upgrade will allow for 'on the fly' changes.

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:46:08 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Floor Mats

I was wondering if anyone had a "nice" used set of DMC floor mats for sale?  Please email me off list.

Thanks,
Jace

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:19:53 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: tires

I can't seem to find any mention of this subject in the archives since
about 2001, so here it goes:

What kind of *available* tires do people use and like for the DeLorean?
  Now that my Yokohama AVS intermediates are worn out (and they didn't
last very long) and since those are no longer made, I've come to
realize that selection is increasingly slim.  Tire Rack lists three
that fit, and other sites that I checked came up with the same:
BFGoodrich Radial T/As, Michelin Pilot XGT H4, and Dunlop GT.

Does anyone use any of these tires, or something else that is still
available?  And what do you think given performance and appearance?

Happy motoring,
Travis Graham

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:31:03 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: gas smell

List,

lately i have been smelling gas in my garage.  i checked my entire fuel
system for leaks both while the car is running and right after it has been warmed
up and shut off.  i even checked the accumulator area and pulled open the fuel
pump access.  everything is dry as a bone.

i was wondering if my gas cap was bad.  would a poorly sealing gas cap cause
my garage to stink like this?  i'm having trouble even deciding if it's the
DeLorean or not.  it smells like gas even with the car out of the garage for a
while, but i have a carpet on much of the floor - gas is probably in the
carpet.  the seal is a little dried out and cracked on my cap but it SEEMS to seal
ok when i turn it.

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:54:04 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Computer Governor Problem - ? Not this time.

My guess is that you are going to wish it was the computer governor.
This sounds expensive. This sort of testing is probably not doing it
any good, since you probably have low oil pressure in it, and are
slipping the clutches a lot now.

Dave

-->

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:17:02 -0700
From: "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump Jump

         Hey List,
                   What two fuses do you jump to make the fuel pump? I've
don it before a long time ago and I can't remember now what they were.
Can someone help me?

                                          Thanks in advance..........Jason 5903

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Can it go to 100mph?  Are your tires hoverbalanced?
Is that just a kit?  I cant think of nay more right
offhand.

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:14:56 -0400
From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>
Subject: I have contacted Rob..thanks for the concerned E-mails

Thank you everyone that has e-mailed me about this post. It has been
resolved.  The post was made BEFORE I got ahold of Rob.  It can now be
dis-regarded.

Thanks!
William

   From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>
Subject: Attention PJGradys

Attention - "PJ Grady"

I sent you guys an email from your web page but have not recieved a reply
yet. I would like to buy a Delorean from you (if you have one for sale) and
just wanted more information

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:17:08 -0000
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>
Subject: 17084 rides again

Hi everyone. I just got back from Northern Ontario to trailer back
#17084.

It's an 83, Grey 5-speed with 10000 Km (about 6000 miles). I bought
it from the original owner who has babied it for the last 21 years.
He owned a "Canadian Tire" store which is a large automotive/hardware
chain up here in Canada.  After reading all the posts about proper
storage I was a little cautious about this one but he really knew how
to store a car. The car was regularly started and maintained
throughout it's life. Outside of a few cobwebs and a small crack in
the windshield, it is in the same condition as it was when it left
the dealership.

It's one of the "Canadian" models with the 240 Km/h speedometers. One
question if anyone knows - How many of these were made? I heard
anywhere from 80 to 120 but on the DMC VIN list it looks like there
could be at least 168. Were there some numbers skipped or changed for
other countries?

When I get a chance I will post a URL with the story on how I found
it along with lots of pics (any requests - stickers etc)?

Mike Walsh
Niagara Falls, Ontario

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:40:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: New to Delorean

By this point in time the most important thing is how the car was
cared for. Early or late, low mileage or high, all things being equal
that is the most important thing. A good maintanance history that
shows what has been done is VERY important. When you walk up to a car
you know very quickly if the car was pampered or was a "beater".
As for paint, unless you have a sonic tester you cannot tell if the
car was painted because of damage. It is possible to remove the paint
and restore the brushed finish. Even if the panels are not damaged it
is a LOT of work. To do it right you would remove the panels from the
car, chemically strip the paint, sand and regrain the finish, then
reinstall the panels. Get in touch with the "D" venders, with the vin
# one of them may know the car. The local owner's group can also
sometimes help if the car is known locally.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Vanilla Thunder"

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:58:29 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: Delorean TV Sighting

Did anyone see "Cold Case Files" on Sunday night?  The story took
place in 1985 and the victim owned a DeLorean.  It appeared in the
opening sequence and several more times throughout the program.

Brent Lundgren
VIN # 17006

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:52:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: No Start problem

For the bucking and kicking I would still suspect a problem in the
fuel tank. If the pick-up hose is soft or has a hole or tear in it
replace it. Make sure that the baffles are installed correctly and are
not cracked or otherwise damaged. Make sure the electrical connections
on the fuel pump are clean and tight. Another possablity is that when
you reinstall the pump you twist the pump kinking the hose. It is VERY
IMPORTANT  that the hose not be twisted or it can kink. I would take
all the parts out, drain the tank, wipe it out, inspect all the parts
replacing anything suspicous looking, reinstall the parts carefully
and refill with fresh gas. You could also have a venting problem
causing a vacuum to build up in the tank. If you hear a whooshing when
you remove the fuel cap inspect the vapor system. When a fuse is used
very near to it's capacity for a long time it can melt inside by one
of the cap ends and look good but be bad. You are never supposed to
use a fuse continuosly at more than 75% of it's rating. Either you had
the wrong  size fuse or the circuit is drawing too much current.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:59:54 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Refer to F03:01 in the Workshop Manual. You may want to go for the
magnetic drain plug if you car doesn't have one.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Where does the new gear oil go for the manuel transmission. I found
> the plug to drain it but haven't seen anywhere to fill it back up
es.