From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1974
Date: Monday, April 19, 2004 9:18 AM

1. Re: Unused Wires in Door Harness?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. let's play a game...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

3. Prototype binnacle and guages
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

4. Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. RE: Re: No Start problem
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Bucking and Kicking
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Re: DeLo Catalytic Converter -- Honeycomb vs BB's
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

9. Re: tires
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

11. Re: tires
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

12. Re: No Start problem
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

13. Re: Bucking and Kicking
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

14. Re: let's play a game...
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. stereo system
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Re: Dyno Results - Grand National Delorean
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. Re: RPM to MPH
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: let's play a game...
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>

19. RE: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. Re: catalytic converter question
From: "rendycheng" <rendycheng_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: gas smell
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

23. RE: Prv6 problems
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

25. Re: gas smell
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

26. RE: Re: Bucking and Kicking
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 02:01:21 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Unused Wires in Door Harness?

The "extra"wire is on the schematic as Light Green/White. The wire
appears in the harness as part of the bundle that comes from the roof
down the driver side pillar and should appear in a 9-pin connector
somewhere in the compartment near the engine computer. I did not have
time to open up one of the cars and see where it is. You probably
have to remove the carpeted rear wooden panel to get to it. My guess
is that is eventually goes across and connects to the defroster
circuit, so you'll have to make sure you disconnect it from that
before you re-use it.

The problem is going to be that the connection to both doors is tied
together in the harness, in the center of the roof only accessible by
removing the SS T-panel. So the way it is you couldn't use it.

You'll have to get into the roof from above, split the line, remove
the interior roof panel, and then snake a second wire through the
roof into the car (There's a feed through thats covered with black
silicone RTV) without creating a new water leak. Sounds like a lot of
trouble to get the mirrors to blink.

Hope this helps, no guarantees.

Dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:18:41 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: let's play a game...

The game is called: "Let's see who can name as many things as possible
that were WRONG with the "Cold Case" episode featuring the DeLorean"

It's a long title for a game, I know, but it's a work in progress.

I'm sure by the time this gets posted, there will be more than enough
messages on the board about it already...I just thought we could use
some classification.

Cheers,
Josh
and the rest...mostly on ebay at the moment!

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:58:42 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Prototype binnacle and guages

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9903&item=2474460968&rd=1

Looks like the prototype gauge setup from Stainless Steel Illusion
pictures i have seen from the Prototype delorean, maybe im wrong but
its worth a look.

I am not selling this item i just seen it up for auction.

Mark V

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:37:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

My transmission is currently lying in the driveway with a Valeo brand
clutch disc hopelessly stuck on the input shaft. Splines are lined up.
Input shaft inserted into the disc effortlessly until the bellhousing
was 1/4" or so from the block, then put up serious resistance. I
suspect that was the point at which the disc became stuck.

The old disc, also Valeo brand, was stuck on the input shaft too (wore
the pressure plate side down to the rivets but barely touched the
flywheel side). At first I thought it was rusted from sitting up too
long, but now am beginning to wonder if the problem is really a fit
issue with Valeo clutch discs.

Has anybody else had problems with Valeo clutch discs? Are other
brands available? (If so, from what source?)

Thanks for the info,

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:08:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: No Start problem

Dan, That's normally a sign of fuel starvation somewhere. Filter, Filter
screen or just a miss beat in the old pump. Did you look at the filter
screen in the baffle.

From: TalksToGod [mailto:5n-_at_dml_gmx.net]
Subject: [DML] Re: No Start problem

Now for my next question: I took it for a drive up the road, and when
I was inclined on the hill and accelerating, it would kind of buck and
kick

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:52:21 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Bucking and Kicking

Does the car buck and kick when cold, under fuller throttle but not
partial throttle? If so, could well be a CPR issue (serves same
purpose on K Jetronic as a carburetor choke plate, albeit by different
means). You need a high pressure fuel gauge to diagnose the CPR by the
numbers, but a good seat of the pants test would be to let the car
idle until warm, then take the same test drive.

Glad you found the dead short. That's probably what killed your
battery (will do so in a matter of minutes). Fuse #1 controls all the
engine electricals, so it is kind of important. Check your fuse box
contacts -- a DeLo weakness. The short at your battery wouldn't have
blown any fuses.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:00:37 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: DeLo Catalytic Converter -- Honeycomb vs BB's

DeLo catalytic converter uses a honeycomb, not BB's. The wire mesh is
there to isolate it from the housing (operating temperature of a
converter is 700 degrees or so -- even hotter than the exhaust manifolds).

Be glad your internals disintegrated rather than welding themselves
shut. A stopped up converter will put you to walking.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 05:52:50 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Funniest Things Heard

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Enid/Jeremiah
<hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Can it go to 100mph?  Are your tires hoverbalanced?
> Is that just a kit?

hehhehehee is it just a kit this is the one i ever heard by here, no
one beleives me when i say its a reaL one ! many people doesnt know
its a real car, last week someone told me he was thinking that was a
ss body on a datsun frame ???!!??? hehehhehhehe

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:59:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: tires

I have Michelin Pilots on my DeLorean and couldn't be happier. They are pricey, but ride better, quieter, and outhandle the Yokohamas (especially in the rain!) in my opinion. I put about 5k miles on my first DeLorean with the Pilots, and have put about the same on my current D with new Pilots. After 5k on both cars they still appear totoally unworn unlike the Yokos which scrubbed off rapidly. I also think they look more appropriate on the car than the Yokos. I know a few years back everyone thought those tires were the best thing since sliced bread, but in my experience they weren't the best application for the DeLorean.

I've also heard good things about the BF Goodrich's. They're also significantly cheaper than the Michelins if that's an issue. If you put the white letters facing the inside of the car, they actually have a very similar look and tread pattern to the original Goodyear NCTs. I've considered putting these on my car with the white letters facing out as a BTTF nod, but I'm not going to get rid of perfectly good tires.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com> wrote:
I can't seem to find any mention of this subject in the archives since
about 2001, so here it goes:

What kind of *available* tires do people use and like for the DeLorean?
  Now that my Yokohama AVS intermediates are worn out (and they didn't
last very long) and since those are no longer made, I've come to
realize that selection is increasingly slim.  Tire Rack lists three
that fit, and other sites that I checked came up with the same:
BFGoodrich Radial T/As, Michelin Pilot XGT H4, and Dunlop GT.

Does anyone use any of these tires, or something else that is still
available?  And what do you think given performance and appearance?

Happy motoring,
Travis Graham

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:20:19 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

I installed the Valeo clutch last year and I haven't had a problem
with the Valeo disk..as of yet anyway- perhaps the input shaft wasn't
greased? Also the heat could have made it stick? Just a few thoughts
-Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:23:58 +0200
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

Take a look at Pirelli's. The P6000 and P600(?)

Mads

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:15:34 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: No Start problem

I have not yet checked that screen, is there any special things I need
to do in order to check this? Isn't there one in the warm up regulator
as well? Fuel filter is brand new. Thanks so much-Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:07:44 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

The first time I tried the engine was warm, the second time it was
cold, mostly with a good amount of throttle. I made it to the gas
station and filled up and it seemed to be okay afterwards. I'm going
to see what happens with it tomorrow-if it will have the same
symptoms, if it doesn't then I will let the fuel run down in the tank,
see if maybe its got something to do with the pump. The car has never
done this before its just now that I put it back on the road. Also I
can rev it up and there is no hesitations or any missing, its only
when its under load and up a hill it gave me the kicking or bucking.
But today after the fuel it performed very well, only needs 3rd gear
low RPMs to go 55, I wonder what the car would do in 5th at full but
then again-I dont need the ticket or the chance of crashing;) I'll let
you know how tomorrows drive goes. Thanks for your help, Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: let's play a game...

[MODERATOR NOTE: This message approved because it has some content relevant to the DeLorean community.  Posts that are merely a dramatic critique of the television program will be rejected mercilessly.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

That show was pure trash IMO. Every character on the show was a giant stereotype from original DeLorean owners being greedy and shallow; to women and gays being inherently promiscuous and weak. I was shocked at how bad all of it really was, and to the extent all of the overtones were carried. I suppose that's why I stick with my non-fiction programming LOL. I guess on the positive, at least they stayed away from the DeLoreans are lemons stereotype.

I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I'm tired of seeing negativity about the car and its followers in the media. I suppose I should go along with the notion that any publicity is good publicity, but I yearn to see Dream Car Garage or Two Guys Garage work on a DeLorean. Not to mention it would be nice for My Classic Car or Car Crazy to do a segment on the car and its current following. Headline News recently did a segment on 40 years of the Mustang. Why not see if they'd be interested in what has happened to the DeLorean in the last 20 years, and get some footage to them from Pigeon Forge? With as diverse of a population as we as owners and enthusiats are, surely we could find a way to get the marque and community in the media in a positive light. The Car and Driver segment a few years back was excellent. How can we make something like that happen again?

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:37:25 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: stereo system

I've decided I would post this because I've heard so much about the
stereos and speaker systems in the Delorean.
I recently updated mine.
I think any deck will do.. Mine is a Sony.
The speaker system though seems to make a difference.
In the front I put Rockford Fosgate 3.5" speakers and placed
crossovers to let them act as tweeters.
In the rear, I put Pioneer 4x10s and filtered the low bass.
Now, the part that seemed to really help and it's a good deal was the
Bazooka El6A-HP.  This is a tube with a 6.5" sub-woofer and a 100
Watt built in AMP.  Cost.. about $149.00 with remote.  It is amazing..
and, it sits very nicely behind the passenger seat.
The thing I liked about this setup was that the only thing on the
whole vehicle that had to be cut was the stereo opening.
The speakers went into stock positions.. and when the whole system is
wired it sounds great.  Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know
because I personally didn't even like cutting out the stereo
opening.  Other than that my vehicle is completely stock except for
basic engineering mods like the fan fail switch and overheating
protection etc.

Dale Funk

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:41:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Dyno Results - Grand National Delorean

Do you have any rough estimates on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? A fellow D owner gave me a ride in his Grand National once. I just can't imagine how that engine mated to a manual transmission in a smaller lighter car would perform. I'm your car is an absolute blast to drive! Are you keeping the boost down for fear of pushing the stock transmission beyond its limits? Will you be upping the boost at any point, or are you playing it safe? Sorry for all the questions, but this particular car has always interested in me... I remeber pining for it when it was on eBay lol.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:17:39 -0000
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: RPM to MPH

Just buy a new angle drive from Grady or Houston. Problem solved, no
need to convert, especially at only $59. Its worth it.

Joe

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:29:20 -0000
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>

Heres one, when the guy in the Delorean was picking up the other guy
when it was raining, he was talking to him through his window which
happened to be closed, note next scene when he enters vehicle, window
shows as closed. Oh and why did the guy who owned the Delorean have
to be gay? *shrug*

T.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:02:00 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Bill, To my knowledge the Valeo was the original and is the only one made
for the car. Even other brands like Center force and Sacks use Valeo, just
reboxed. They updated the throw out bearing years ago and I sell the update.
Picture on the web site.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/clutchthrowout2.jpg

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:10:22 -0000
From: "rendycheng" <rendycheng_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: catalytic converter question

## This is from the original poster ##

Here is the complete info on my smog test:

 RPM=2292 (at 15mph)
 HC_MAX = 141 HC_GP=331 HC_MEAS = 161
 CO_MAX = 0.99 CO_GP=2.49 CO_MEAS=0.66
 NOX_MAX = 1148 NOX_GP = 2270 NOX_MEAS = 2211
 CO2_% = 14.1
 O2_% = 0.8

 RPM=2408 (at 25mph)
 HC_MAX = 113 HC_GP=263 HC_MEAS = 156
 CO_MAX = 0.79 CO_GP=2.29 CO_MEAS=0.66
 NOX_MAX = 978 NOX_GP = 2070 NOX_MEAS = 2276
 CO2_% = 14.1
 O2_% = 0.7

 MEAS= AMOUNT MEASURED

The teste also examed PCV, EGR visual, fuel cap funtional, fuel cap visual, spark controls,
thermostatic air clearner, vaccum lines to senser/switches, ignition timing, wiring to
sensors, fillpipe restrictor, fuel evaporative controls, fuel injection, O2 sensor, and liquid
fuel leaks.

I failed on high HC, high NOx, and fuel cap.   Actually, I have no idea if the technician
actually check all that, but these are the resutls show on the paper.

Info about my car:
It has 27000 miles.  I drove it as my daily car.  The gas is 87 octane about 8 eight days
old.  I have 30,000 mile tune up done late last year.

I still have the original fuel injection system, and I have no idea on the condition of the
catalytic converter.  Visually from outside, the catalytic converter looks fine.

Last year, my car failed on high HC.   I solved the problem by cleanning the #2 injectors.  I
have also notice the poor fuel economy in past a few months.

I think I am going to replace all the injectors and a catalytic converter.  Do you think this
will really solve the problem once for all?  I don't want to have to deal with this again next
year.  Is this a good decision?

thank for all the help.

Sincerely,

rendy #4220

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:21:08 -0000
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You must be ready to paint it now that you have it all stripped
down, so you'd better prime it before it rusts.

Courtesy of my next door neighbor a week after I got my first D.

Joe

2524 & 16634

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_d...>
wrote:
> You know, when I take my D out, I hear funny things all the time.
For
> example, at gas stations, I hear.."Can you go back in time in
that?",
> or I've even had people ask me, is that a Ferrari? or a Pantera? I
> just laugh. Or even better when you have people try to tell you
> the "True story of John Delorean" about how he was caught with
Cocane

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:09:36 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: gas smell

Andy, I had a person bring their car to the shop a week ago and the first
and last place I went to was the Fuel pump boot. It was full of gas.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:14:21 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Prv6 problems

Could be a small problem like the idle speed thermistor which needs to be
replaced or is covered with contaminates and the probe needs to be cleaned
off. Also may be the Fuel distributor and that can be tested.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:49:47 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

I live in Maryland, work in DC at the Department of State, and soon
the Pentagon. In such an urban area unfortunately, the only attention
I ever get is....well let's just say these people are in the "lower
income brackets"....

They only ask: "Is it fast?" No.
"Are you selling it?" No.
"Why not?" Because I like it.

That's about all I'm ever asked. I usually point out to these people
that if they're driving a rusted out K-car and they are missing
teeth, (I'm not joking) they probably couldn't afford my DeLorean
anyway. When they insist, I name a starting price of $30,000 with an
offer to throw in the keys for free.

The closest thing to "funny" that I ever hear is from parts-house
employees trying to tell me who made it, what kind of engine it has,
how many were made..(The locksmith told me only 3 DeLoreans were ever
made and that I was a liar)..and NO, I don't make a habit of buying
parts from non-vendors.

Rich A.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:25:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had a similiar problem with a gas smell and DMCH advised me to look under the rubber boot covering the fuel pump. When I removed the cover there was gasoline standing on top of the fuel pump due to a faulty fuel return hose connection. I fixed the connection and that ended the smell.

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com wrote:List,

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:19:34 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Bucking and Kicking

Mine is just the opposite. It bucks a little at high speed (60+ MPH). I've
yet to figure this out. Any ideas?