From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1975
Date: Monday, April 19, 2004 11:14 PM

1. Re: gas cap
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: catalytic converter question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: gas smell
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Delorean TV Sighting
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

5. RE: Re: No Start problem
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Funniest Things Heard
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: Re: let's play a game...
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

8. The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated.
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

9. Re: Fuel Pump Jump
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

11. Re: Dyno Results - Grand National Delorean
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

12. Re: catalytic converter question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Bucking and Kicking
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: let's play a game...
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

16. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "Ace Underhill" <aceu_at_dml_brilliantscreen.com>

17. Re: let's play a game...
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

18. Caravaning to Pigeon Forge
From: "Tiffany" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>

19. Re: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. RE: Funniest Things Heard
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Re: gas smell
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

22. RE: Unused wires in door harness
From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

23. Re: Bucking and Kicking
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:43:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: gas cap

The cap is tested for it's sealing ability (they measure leakage) and
some types have a pressure relief valve inside (not Deloreans) to
allow excess pressure out and vacuum in.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:40:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: catalytic converter question

Just because you had a "major" tune-up last year is not going to help.
You might have the wrong parts or they may be improperly installed.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:46:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: gas smell

It wouldn't hurt to inspect the fuel boots on the gas tank and the
connections from the fill pipe. It is also possible you have the wrong
gas cap. It happens more often than you might think. The attendant
puts your cap on top of the gas pump and inadvertantly switches it
with another car's cap on top of the pump. Also happens with credit
cards so ALWAYS check your card when they give it back to you.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:41:09 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Delorean TV Sighting

I saw the Cold Case episode last night.  Actually a great show.  In any event it was nice to see the DeLorean portrayed in a positive light.  The refernces made to the car throughout the show were positive I thought, showing the car as a sign of success and as a car desried by people of the time.  Almost just as JZD had intended. And the car itself looked like it was in nice shape.  Any idea of whose car that was?  In one scene it looked like it had a third brake light on the top rear louver as some owners have installed them recently.  They had some good shots of the car and alot of references to it overall throughtout the episode.

Gary

<<
   Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:58:29 -0000
   From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: Delorean TV Sighting

Did anyone see "Cold Case Files" on Sunday night?  The story took
place in 1985 and the victim owned a DeLorean.  It appeared in the

opening sequence and several more times throughout the program.

Brent Lundgren
VIN # 17006>>

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:55:07 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: No Start problem

Dan As I said it's normally fuel starvation but I since yours is a bucking
situation I should re phrase it and say starvation due to a sudden stop in
the fuel pump because of an electrical connection. If you have or had a
starvation of fuel due to a filter stopping up it would normally gradually
happen upon acceleration and then maybe a bucking because of lack of fuel
for a moment. The one place that give more trouble is the inertia switch
connection. Try running a wire from the ground side or ( - ) side of pump
direct to ground. The RPM relay contacts could also foul and cause the
problem. Sorry it's not just one thing and sometimes hard to analyze over
the internet.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:08:57 -0400
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Funniest Things Heard

Why is it that so many people feel compelled to 'teach' us about our own DeLoreans?
I mean, it's absurd!  We have one, they don't -and it never occurs to
them that we may just know something about our own vehicle!!!!!

I've never issued instructions to my Dentist during a dental appointment.(!)

During a recent expo, I had an old coot tell me that DeLorean was still
in jail.  And when I tried to gently inform, he refused to listen.
'That's not what I heard.'
When I explain to folks the truth, I always follow with "Of course,
that's not nearly as exciting as the outlandish stories people make up."
 -Which is hard to disagree with.
It is at this moment (with the coot) I wished I had downloaded that
informative brochure that someone here has composed for such situations.

Would someone direct me to the location of that please?
Thanks!
Oliver Holler
10694

ps: See you at PIGEON FORGE!!!

<snipped>
The closest thing to "funny" that I ever hear is from parts-house

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:43:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Re: Re: let's play a game...

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, thinkstainless wrote:

> Heres one, when the guy in the Delorean was picking up the other guy
> when it was raining, he was talking to him through his window which
> happened to be closed, note next scene when he enters vehicle, window
> shows as closed.

I assume you meant open the first time in that sentence, not closed.  The
toll booth window is clearly open while he's talking through it.  There
was plenty of time for him to close the window as the other guy was
walking around the car.  The big clue, however, is that once they're
inside the car, you can see rain water all over the driver's side toll
booth window, and no evidence in the water patterns of it having been
recently rolled up.  (Yeah, this is pretty nit-picky...)

> Oh and why did the guy who owned the Delorean have to be gay? *shrug*

I hate to break it to you, but not all Delorean owners are straight.

-andrew

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:44:15 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated.

      Greetings gang,

The April 2004 edition of the DeLorean Owners Directory, containing 1071
cars, now is available at:

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

Access to the Directory is limited to owners who have listed their cars
in the Directory. The Directory is not posted publicly in any form. This
offers some amount of protection against spammers and other from
harvesting your name and email addresses. If you have submitted your
information AFTER March 30 it will be in the next edition.

To get your copy, send an email requesting a password to:
owners(AT)dmcnews.com

Be sure to include your last name and your VIN #. I will verify that you
are in the directory and send you a password by return email (I do these
in batches, so it may take a day or two). If you already have a
password, it will still work for the new edition.

Please remember, the access name and password are case sensitive

You can direct questions/comments/help to me at: owners(at)dmcnews.com

Ken Montgomery
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:owners(at)dmcnews.com

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:14:05 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Jump

You jump the RPM Relay harness connector. Goes from one corner
(white/purple as I recall) to the opposite corner (brown?). This is
not a keyed line, so the pump will spin whether the main & aux relays
are closed or not. Note that jumping the RPM Relay won't help a ground
problem after the pump.

I think John Hervey has a picture on his website somehwere of the
connector jumped.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_t...> wrote:
>          Hey List,
>                    What two fuses do you jump to make the fuel pump?
I've
> don it before a long time ago and I can't remember now what they were.
> Can someone help me?
>
>                                           Thanks in
advance..........Jason 5903

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:21:04 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Funniest Things Heard

> I live in Maryland, work in DC at the Department of State, and soon
> the Pentagon. In such an urban area unfortunately, the only attention
> I ever get is....well let's just say these people are in the "lower
> income brackets"....

My experience is the  people in the "lower tax brackets" always come up
to me at gas stations and first thing that they ask me is "how much did
you pay for it?"  so I tell them $150000 plus what I spent on repairs.
They usually wander off to the slurpie machine in a hurry.
   Dont get the impression I'm some big jerk. If they are genuinely
interested I don't mind taking the time to answer questions and let
them sit in the car.
Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:16:14 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Dyno Results - Grand National Delorean

Louie,

I have not done any official 0-60 or 1/4 mile times since I had
not had the coil pack issue diagnosed until this past weekend.
The 'cut out' at 4100 RPM had me running a little conservative,
since the sound it makes always makes me back off the throttle.

Stock Buick Grand National is a heavy car, about 3700 pounds,
and even if the engine is 100 pounds heavier than the PRV, the
Grand National Delorean has at least an 800 pound advantage and
the obvious better drag coefficient than the Buick Regal body.

Boost is kept initially low since an intermittent coil pack can
cause detonation, especially once the coil pack heats up.  After
talking extensively with the "hot air" Buick guys that run the
non-intercooled setup, they say once the engine is running well
with no coil pack issues, 12 pounds of boost is still safe for
the engine, but I'll have to see about the clutch and the stock
Delorean transmission.  I am playing it safe until I'm sure the
engine is running well, all the way up through 5000 RPM.

As for "seat of the pants" feel with acceleration from a stop
or acceleration from 3200 RPM to 4700 RPM, you really notice the
significant additional torque that this engine has over the PRV.
I will try to get some numbers after the fixes and before PF.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Louie G <louie_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Do you have any rough estimates on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? A
fellow D owner gave me a ride in his Grand National once. I just
can't imagine how that engine mated to a manual transmission in a
smaller lighter car would perform. I'm your car is an absolute blast
to drive! Are you keeping the boost down for fear of pushing the
stock transmission beyond its limits? Will you be upping the boost
at any point, or are you playing it safe? Sorry for all the
questions, but this particular car has always interested in me... I
remeber pining for it when it was on eBay lol.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:11:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

OK, here is a plan of attack:
Have the fuel injectors tested and cleaned
Replace the seals on them
Go over ALL the vacuum hoses for ANY vacuum leaks
Check the initial timing and the vacuum and mechanical advance
Make sure the plug over the mixture screw is not leaking vacuum
Wipe the venturi (throat) of the air sensor and plate and make sure it
     moves freely and is centered
Make sure the ignition wires are in GOOD condition and regap the spark
plugs
Shake the air filter and if it is dirty replace it
Replace the O2 sensor, reset the Lambda counter and check the intake
and exhaust valves for clearance.
Mkae sure the Lambda system sysetm is functioning properly.
Do a compression test, they should be within 5% of each other and over
100 psi
Get rid of the 87 octane and put 91 or higher in for the test
Drive it for a while to clear out the converter before you go for
another test. If it hasn't been overheated from all the HC it should
be alright. When a "D" is set up correctly you can pass even with a
hollowed out converter in most States. You should also make sure the 3
brass screws are closed and the motor is running on the idle system.
This is a lot of work but I don't know if the previous work was done
"right". For instance a 30,000 mile service is SUPPOSED TO include an
O2 sensor and a valve adjustment. You might also need a distributer
cap and rotor and a fuel filter. Maybe even an oil change and filter.
Yes, it could affect the emmisions if it needs an oil change or is
overfilled with oil. You should also make sure the cooling system is
working right. If the thermostat is stuck open or the fans run all the
time the motor could be running too cool which increases emissions.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:14:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Bucking and Kicking

In your case I would suspect the air filter and the fuel filter. One
bad tank of gas can fill a filter up. An air filter that is full of
dirt can starve the motor for air at high power levels.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> Mine is just the opposite. It bucks a little at high speed (60+
MPH). I've

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:12:02 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Funniest Things Heard

Best one I ever had was when I was out washing my car and an older
guy came up to me and said, "I had one just like that years ago when
I lived in Canada..." and he started to tell me how much he enjoyed
it.  So I thought he was just reliving some fond memories of his
delorean with me and then he says that he lived fairly close to the
factory there in Canada where they were built and proceeds to tell me
how he had to crawl out the back hatch of his car when the air tank
failed and asked if I have had to do the same !?!?!?!

........had to explain to him that he owned a Briklin and not a
Delorean....

Michael
VIN#2944

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:31:36 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Re: let's play a game...

[Moderator Note: so far the comments about the Cold Case episode have been very, very disappointing.  I have rejected many.  The DML does not exist to discuss politics or the state of American morality or the quality of American television.  Unless you can find DeLorean-related things to say about the show I will gladly euthanize this thread.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

  As far as I'm concerned, a persons personal life has nothing to do
with anything on this list. This list is about the care, repair and
maintenance of our little silver cars. It is not a soapbox for
political views or for passing moral judgment one way or the other.
Lets  stick to the topic and not start a flame war  over something
irrelevant.

BTW, I AM one of the gay Delorean owners. So what! It has nothing to do
with anything relating to our cars.

>> Oh and why did the guy who owned the Delorean have to be gay? *shrug*
>
> I hate to break it to you, but not all Delorean owners are straight.
>
> -andrew

Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:37:27 -0700
From: "Ace Underhill" <aceu_at_dml_brilliantscreen.com>

I'll always remember the time I was at the local Chevron station and got
this gem.
I've got the hood up, and I'm PUMPING GAS into my D as I'm approached
by a lady who comments; "Cool car!", then asks, "Is it electric?"

-Ace Underhill
Brilliant Screen Entertainment

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:36:40 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I'm always a little curious about posts like this.  It seems that
you are saying you would like less negativity, and more publicity
for our car.  I'm going to have to disagree.  These are the reasons
that makes the car unique to me.
That is, some people think they are junk, unsafe, ugly, unreliable,
built "just for BTTF," impossible to get parts for and repair, used
for drug trafficking, built by GMC, valued at $100K, and in general,
not a "good car."  Did I miss anything?
If these are the beliefs of the average individual, then let them
believe that.  I didn't buy a DeLorean because I wanted something
that everyone else had, e.g., a Mustang.  I love the fact that when
I pull into a gas station, the number one question I'm asked
is "What is it?"  If people think that the cars are hard to get
parts for and difficult to repair, then great;  I'll be glad to
continue driving a car that is so esoteric and mysterious to the
mainstream public.
It's very rewarding to drive a car in which most parts (or atleast
the correct ones) cannot be found in any automotive store, not to
mention one which many people have NEVER seen in person.  It's
practically a testament of the owner's mechanical ability,
troubleshooting, and researching skills to drive a D.
Now, suppose the D does begin to get more publicity, and soon we see
custom D accessories at Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.  Now that everyone
is familiar with the car and has seen it everywhere, no longer does
it make a scene at the gas station or diner.  Suppose the value of
the car increases due to demand and popularity.  Vandalism and theft
become more common seeing as the parts are worth more.  Replica car
companies start manufacturing a Fiero-DeLorean conversion.  Now,
when your "lower income bracket" drivers see you, they exclaim "LOOK
IT'S ONE OF THOSE KIT CARS YOU CAN GET FOR $3999!"
There are countless other reasons why more publicity for our car
isn't necessarily a good thing, but this is just my opinion.  I
guess I'm just happy with the way things are.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Louie G <louie_at_dml_d...> wrote:

> That show was pure trash IMO. Every character on the show was a
giant stereotype from original DeLorean owners being greedy and
shallow; to women and gays being inherently promiscuous and weak. I
was shocked at how bad all of it really was, and to the extent all
of the overtones were carried. I suppose that's why I stick with my
non-fiction programming LOL. I guess on the positive, at least they
stayed away from the DeLoreans are lemons stereotype.

> I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I'm tired of seeing
negativity about the car and its followers in the media. I suppose I
should go along with the notion that any publicity is good
publicity, but I yearn to see Dream Car Garage or Two Guys Garage
work on a DeLorean. Not to mention it would be nice for My Classic
Car or Car Crazy to do a segment on the car and its current
following. Headline News recently did a segment on 40 years of the
Mustang. Why not see if they'd be interested in what has happened to
the DeLorean in the last 20 years, and get some footage to them from
Pigeon Forge? With as diverse of a population as we as owners and
enthusiats are, surely we could find a way to get the marque and
community in the media in a positive light. The Car and Driver
segment a few years back was excellent. How can we make something
like that happen again?

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:47:14 -0000
From: "Tiffany" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Caravaning to Pigeon Forge

Would anyone in the Maryland area be interested in caravaning down to
Pigeon Forge? We'll be driving there early Wed. June 16. Please
contact me if you're interested. :)

-Tiffany Olejnik
 Vin#3691
 New Windsor, MD

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:03:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

I've installed a least a half dozen of them with no issues.

BTW the "Centerforce" clutch is a re-painted Valeo. There is no
alternative available. Where did you buy it? There is a spline size
used by Toyota that looks identical but absolutely will not fit. I'm
not aware of a toyota clutch in the proper diameter though.

If there's a fit issue it's probably with your trans. Is the input
shaft twisted from all that power? Did you try sliding the disc onto
the input shaft prior to installation? What did you use for an
alignment tool? ( I use an old input shaft).

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:54:09 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Oliver, That's like them telling us we have a Ford engine, Aluminum body or
painted silver. Boy that we hear all the time along with the John Tales.

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:08:52 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

The smallest amount of vapor can cause the smell. I have searched
for the source of a similar gas smell for years. The problem I have
had was it comes and goes. I believe it is the gas cap. I put a new
gas cap on two years ago and the smell stopped. Then this year when
I got the car out I noticed it again. When I checked the cap it
seemed loose. I did a little cleaning on the seal and fiddled with
the spring thing on top of the cap seal and so far so good. This
Sunday after a long drive I stopped for gas and noticed a slight
pressure at the cap telling me I'm getting a good seal. Overnight in
the garage and still no gas smell.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:00:25 -0700
From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: RE: Unused wires in door harness

As a followup to Dave's response below, close but not quite.  There is an unused wire in the doors, but the wiring diagram most of us have is incorrect.  The light green/white wire is the hot lead from fuse #9 to both the rear defogger and power mirror switches.  The way the diagram is drawn, it is unswitched and if connected to heated mirrors as shown they would be "on" all the time.

Anyway, the unused wire is actually yellow/white, and I believe it can be found near the top of the door.  The two sides are not connected together, but end at separate plugs in the access hole under the T-top.  There are no corresponding  wires leading down to the relay compartment with the rest, so to connect to them you would have to remove the T-top and sealed cover like Dave described.  Then you would have to get your new wires into the interior of the car by drilling a hole, either under the headliner (requiring its removal) or somewhere farther down.  I know this because this is one of the alternate ways of wiring my remote door opening kit, although not the preferred way.

Darryl Tinnerstet
(formerly Specialty Automotive)
Still lurking, so watch what you say....

<<The "extra"wire is on the schematic as Light Green/White. The wire
appears in the harness as part of the bundle that comes from the roof
down the driver side pillar and should appear in a 9-pin connector
somewhere in the compartment near the engine computer. I did not have
time to open up one of the cars and see where it is. You probably
have to remove the carpeted rear wooden panel to get to it. My guess
is that is eventually goes across and connects to the defroster
circuit, so you'll have to make sure you disconnect it from that
before you re-use it.

The problem is going to be that the connection to both doors is tied
together in the harness, in the center of the roof only accessible by
removing the SS T-panel. So the way it is you couldn't use it.

You'll have to get into the roof from above, split the line, remove
the interior roof panel, and then snake a second wire through the
roof into the car (There's a feed through thats covered with black
silicone RTV) without creating a new water leak. Sounds like a lot of
trouble to get the mirrors to blink.>>

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:06:42 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Today the car drove just fine. So when the tank level gets lower I
will take the pump out and inspect the lines. I would do it now I just
don't want to get fuel all over the place doing it. I will let you
know how it goes. Thanks for all your help guys! Dan Benedek #5003