From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1977
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:49 PM

1. Re: Still getting the looks from other drivers....
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

3. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

5. Annual updates?
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. Re: catalytic converter question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Valeo Clutch Disc (One In Particular) -- Final Analysis
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Caravaning to Pigeon Forge
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: catalytic converter question
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Reverse Lights Still Won't Work
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: Unused wires in door harness
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Continued: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Where exactly do these guys come from?
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Blowing dr light fuse + odd signal?
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

15. Courtesy lights and door ajar
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "David Cox" <dmcox_at_dml_tfb.com>

17. Tail light led number
From: "Dustin Dewey" <dmc5000_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: Re: let's play a game...
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: Re: catalytic converter question
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>

20. Re: Annual updates?
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

21. Dual Exhaust.
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

22. Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Blowing dr light fuse + odd signal?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: Unused wires in door harness
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

25. Re: Dual Exhaust.
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:38:10 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Still getting the looks from other drivers....

Careful; not everyone who looks at you is cause to boost the ego.
Whenever I look at someone in a decorated mustang or rice burner,
wondering how anything could possibly be more boring and tasteless,
I'm inflating their ego, too.  They think I envy them.

"But *I* am driving a DeLorean," you say.  Yes, but the Mustang driver
says, "But *I* am driving a Mustang!"  The rice-burner: "But *my* car
has a really big spoiler," etc.  And what about that person in the 911
turbo or the guy in the '99 Lotus, or the mother in the minivan that
thinks a car is such a stupid thing to be proud of?  They look, but do
they envy me?

It's just a car, one that just about any middle- or upper-class family
could easily afford, if so motivated.  Some people like it, many
don't, but I think most of the time people are staring slack-jawed at
my car, it's because they're thinking "what in the world is THAT??"
It's not because they envy me.  My car would be worth a LOT more if
that were the case.

Aaron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, KiwiDean_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Nice balm for the ego whenever I'm driving.  You'd think that these
folk have never seen a DeLorean, though others have asked me if they
could still buy one - preferably with the flux capacitor option!

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:08:10 -0000
From: "Dave" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Funniest Things Heard

I was filling up at a gas station right before a parade last summer
when someone came up to talk to me about the car.  He insisted that
the car was made/sold right after the Back to the Future movie in
1985.  All I said was "let me show you something" and I took him
over to the driver side door and proceeded to point at the
manufactured date on the vin plate.  He sat there and stared at
it...I said "so what do you make of that?"  I about fell over after
his response...he said "oh I guess Back to the Future came out in
1981."

Dave

[duplicate quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:21:12 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

  Ok, here goes.It hasnt been very pleasant here in NYC, so I havent
taken my car out until recently, but when i took it out 2 weeks ago
and parked it on the sidewalk of a local bar this girl breaks free
of the crowd she was with and runs to the car and says....Oh my God,
Ive always wanted one of those, I just love Lamborghini's!! Not too
bad, my car just got thrown into the 6 figure catagory. Then on
Sunday I went to a BBQ and the host told me that he did a thesis or
some kinda report on the whole JZD story (I was suprised and took
great interest in what he was about to say)he goes on and says "Yeah
did you know that JZD was caught smuggling drugs in his car while
trying to cross some border?.....I said "Wow really?? I guess you
must have failed that class huh??  Really how do people have the
arrogance to assume they have some knowledge over the cars owner who
dreamt about it and scoured the earth looking for just the right car
before buying one?.....Other than that Ive gotten my share of the
usual.  Did you know its made of aluminum? Chevy/ Ford engine, that
sorta thing....Once some drunk was trying to be somebody in front of
a crowd and asked Hey Marty! wheres the flux capacitor? Sob I had to
tell him....Flux This!! (personally I think thats a great license
plate!)

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:58:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

I think about the funniest thing I've heard was "I bet this thing would blow the doors off a Lamborghini!" When my first D was totalled by a drunk who hit me, the drunk's insurance adjuster said "so what's this car going to set me back... about $80k?" I should have just said yes and ran lol. But I'm really fickle about misinformation being spread about the cars, so I take the time every time I hear something untrue about the cars to correct it. While I love talking about the car, dispelling myths does get old after a while. Some of the cliches cease being cute and funny real quick, especially if you drive the car every single day like I do. I truly don't go a single day without someone approaching me in the car. Sometimes I just want to get gas or my groceries in peace, but I suppose that's part of the deal when one buys these cars. I suppose too I'm one of the few who actually thinks the REAL DeLorean story is far jucier and more interesting than all the crazy stuff we hear all the time. So I guess that's why I still bother to correct folks misinformation.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:27:40 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Annual updates?

I saw a post regarding an update of the DeLorean Owner's directory.
I'm glad I'm listed.

Does anyone know when the Production Chronology in the DeLorean FAQ
gets updated? I'd like my VIN to be listed there as well.

Thanks,

Rich A.

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:52:31 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: catalytic converter question

I understand exactly what you are saying about the way the octane
rating is calculated. It has been my experience that going up with the
octane helps pass emissions testing. It also seems to help with fuel
efficiency but not enough to justify the increase in price. I cannot
give you a scientific reason for it. My guess is that the additives
used to increase the octane make the fuel burn more completly. I
notice I get better gas mileage on a tank of higher octane than lower
octane. I do not say you need to use 91 octane on a regular basis but
it has been my observation that it does lower HC if you go with the
higher octane. These are my observations and opinions and everyone is
allowed to agree or disagree. I say try it, it can't hurt. If you
don't notice any diffference than at least you know you are not
missing anything. Generally if you do fail emmisions testing changing
the octane of the gas you use won't cut it. At least it should be
fresh. If you still fail then you HAVE to find and fix the problem.

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:18:59 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Valeo Clutch Disc (One In Particular) -- Final Analysis

Now that the clutch disc is separated from the input shaft:

Splines on the input shaft are fine (no pun intended).

Splines on the clutch disc are fine to 1/8" or so of the engine side.
Then they make a minute a bend to one side. It's hard to see at first,
but if you study them from the transmission end they definitely start
to roll over. That's what looked like an improper grind from the other
end -- the "vertical" spline face is actually an angled one rotated
that way (and the angle on the other side is exaggerated). There are
also scuff marks where the splines start to bend.

Obviously the input shaft bound somehow when I was reinstalling it.

There is a silver lining to this little cloud: the exhaust crossover
pipe irritated me so badly during the failed installation that I
ripped it off and converted my car to dual exhaust (home brewed, not
Houston's). Transmission removal was 100% easier this time around.
Expect the same from reinstallation. I also can reach things like
clutch slave cylinder, distributor cap & wires, heater core shutoff
valve, etc extremely easily from under the car. Might almost make the
K Jetronic manifold palatable...

If my replacement clutch disc shows up in time I'll be at Mid Atlantic.

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Caravaning to Pigeon Forge

I plan to begin my trip to Pigeon Forge on Wednesday June 16.  Would anyone be interested in gathering at Exit 156 (Brugh's Country Store-gas,food,etc.) on I-81 in Virginia? It would be nice to caravan together and possibly have others join us on the way through Virginia and Tennessee. My thoughts now are to leave between Noon and 2pm.

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:05:28 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

David T may be old enough to remember when there were quality
differences between low octane and high octane gas (how old are you
David?). In the bad old days "high test" was refined differently. Some
people called it "white gas" because it didn't glue up your carburetor
the way lower rated fuels did (octane has no effect on gum and
varnish). That could have affected his answer.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> This question is IMPORTANT for all DeLorean owners even though it is
> directed to David Teitelbaum.

UNLEADED

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:59:00 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work

Hey all, help end my frustrations.
     I have checked and cleaned the connections to the reverse switch, I even
replaced it with a new one.   I checked the taillight connections and cleaned
them, and it looks like both of the bulbs are okay too.   I can't figure out
why I can't get the reverse lights to come on though.   I have no idea how
long they have been out, other than I knew they worked when I bought the car.
Any other ideas on where to check/how to fix this problem?

Patrick

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:13:49 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: RE: Unused wires in door harness

Could you post the source of your actuators? Did you manufacture
custom brackets & linkages? Why are they on relays rather than
straight from the switches?

Couldn't care less about door launchers, but I would like to get rid
of my lock solenoids.

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 03:37:44 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Continued: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

I can tell you exactly what happened: the clutch disc froze onto the
input shaft. Rather than disengaging normally, you were pushing the
whole disc away from the pressure plate only. I bet your flywheel
looked as pristine as the day it left the factory, while the pressure
plate was scored beyond recognition.

My failed re-installation might have worked that way if the input
shaft had penetrated just a fraction of an inch further before
binding. Perhaps it's best it didn't...

How was your removal? My transmission would not scoot back, even with
a crowbar (original disc, not the failed re-install). I could lever it
back, but as soon as I pulled the crowbar out it would spring right
back to the engine. Obviously I was flexing the whole disc in the
other direction. Ultimately ended up pulling the transmission back far
enough to wedge nuts between the block and the bellhousing, running
threaded rods through these nuts into the tranmission mounting bolt
holes, then turning the nuts with a stubby wrench (engine cradle
clearance) to force the transmission back. Of course this snapped the
input shaft roll pin, but even that cloud has a silver lining: it was
a lot easier to pull just the bellhousing off and take it to the shop
to have my failed re-install pressed off than it would have been to
take the whole transmission!

There is a possibility my input shaft splines are slightly deformed
where the original disc was frozen. That would explain why the
re-install hung where it did. Doesn't look so, but I'll know for sure
when I test fit the replacement disc.

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:33:48 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Where exactly do these guys come from?

On the road the other night for a little ride along US Rt1 north of Boston
around 11:00pm. An SUV with two "Adult" male passengers pulls along side.
They kept pace and took a good long look at the car. Then for no reason and
without warning they swerved right at me and tried to run me off the road!
Next, they started tossing their garbage out the windows trying to hit the
car! Got the tag number but the police said there was nothing they could
really do about it. Has anyone else had a similar (what I assume is jealousy
induced) experience? I've heard of D's getting keyed before but these guys
nearly killed me.
Rustproof

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 03:36:22 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Blowing dr light fuse + odd signal?

My Delo keeps on blowing the fuse for the door lights, hood light etc-
fuse 12 I believe- and I don't know why. It only happens when I am
driving the car. When the engine is off and its just sitting the fuse
is just fine. Also, whenever I put the turn signal left, the lights
flash and relay ticks extremely fast-like it would when a bulb is out.
When I signal right, it ticks and flashes at a normal speed. I
verified that I don't have any bulbs out, they both just flash fast.
To even further confuse me, like all other problems I have with my
Delo-it happens one day AND ITS FINE THE NEXT!...any thoughts on these
problems? Thanks Dan Benedek #5003

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 04:28:54 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Courtesy lights and door ajar

I know this topic has hit the DML before, but I was unable to find it
in the archives. Anyway, the interior lights are supposed to
illuminate when a door is opened right? Mine fails to do this. From
looking at the diagram and in order, there needs to be a buzzer logic
box, which I don't think is present inside my car. I believe this
because I have a disconnected connector- black, rectangular with quite
a few wires running to it underdash. This connector goes to the box
right? It has a violet/blue stripped wiring running to it I traced
from the lights switch, also to the diode. I have red, blue, and black
diode cases, which are for what? I've been driving the car with out
the interior lights and its kind of a pain when you're getting in at
night especially with groceries or something, always having to
manually turn the lights on. Lastly, my door ajar light kind of dims
on and off at times while driving, this JUST started happening-before
it was fine, what should I inspect for this problem? Switches both
have the rubber tips on them. Thanks, Dan Benedek -5003

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:44:48 -0700
From: "David Cox" <dmcox_at_dml_tfb.com>

I've got two good ones.  At a Cruise Night, I was returning to the car
behind a couple of guys, the first turns to the second and says "Look, an
aluminum Panterra!" while pointing at the D.

Another time, at a gas station, a guy wanders over and asks "Didn't that use
to be a Delorean?"  My wife just looked at him for a moment and then said
"It still is..."

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:18:25 +0000
From: "Dustin Dewey" <dmc5000_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Tail light led number

Hi everyone.
Hey if I remember, a few weeks ago someone was on here talking about led
lights for the doors. well I was wondering what the correct number is for the led that fits the tail lights.
Do they even make them yet?
Just wondering!!! Thanks

Dustin

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:15:35 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: let's play a game...

Good point, and Bravo!
It has occurred to me that the overall allure of this car is that like it's
owners they are eccentric and unusual.
We are the type of people that do things differently and always have.

- Videobob

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:07:01 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>
Subject: Re: Re: catalytic converter question

Hello David and the list!

What you said makes perfect sense! There might be a situation when a car
that was designed to use lower octane fuel actually runs better on higher
octane fuel. This happens if you raise the compression in the cylinders.
That can be either intensional (more power, but requires premium gas) or by
carbon deposits inside the cylinders. What happens is that when carbon
buildup is large enough (usually carbon deposits are indication of mixture
being too rich OR that the owner is using higher octane gas than he should)
it causes the compression to go up. That's why you might need to switch to
89 gas and it will run better. After a while you will need to go up again
until there are no more grades and you will have to fix the problem that
caused it.
If your car runs better and you get better gas milage with higher octane gas
it means that  the carbon buildup is large enough to raise the compression
so it needs that slower burning fuel. That can be caused by mixture being
too rich. Maybe its time to check the CO (upstream from the catalytic
converter) and to check the cylinders for carbon deposits. If left untreated
it will lead to blown head gasket.

The difference between grades of gas is in octane rating. Octane rating is a
system created to indicate how fast the fuel burns. 87, 89 and 93 have the
SAME amount of additives. The only difference is that the higher the number
the slower it burns. 93 is not better in ANY way than 87. It is not cleaner,
it does not have more additives, it does not burn cleaner. It burns slower
and it is meant to be used in high compression engines that are designed to
use it. 87 will burn faster and it's meant to be used in lower compression
engines.
The DeLorean was designed to use 87.
If you use higher rating fuel that your car was designed for you are
actually doing more bad than good. Higher octane gas burns slower, so it
will not have enough time to burn completly in an engine designed to run on
87. That in turn will cause the unburned gas to enter the exhaust. It will
be not enough as to be the cause for failed emissions if you use it once.
BUT if you keep using that slower burning gas all the time you end up with
carbon deposits and higher readings on the emissions test.

Tom Niemczewski
tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:47:52 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: Annual updates?

I'm in the process of compiling the chronology information now and
expect to have it done around the end of the month. One of the
sources of information to the chronology is the DOD, so you can
largely expect to see the updates occur around the same time for the
two lists.

              Knut

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:59:09 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: Dual Exhaust.

Bill,

I would like to see some pictures of your dual exhaust setup.

Scott

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:05:53 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work

You really need to get a meter or test light and the wiring diaghram.
It is like shooting in the dark trying to fix it by replacing parts
otherwise.

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:15:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Blowing dr light fuse + odd signal?

>From other messages you have posted you have a lot of electrical
problems. Instead of tackling them one by one (since you have so many)
I suggest you just go over the whole electrical system. Clean all the
connections, the grounding connections, fuses, remove anything that
doesn't look origional, test all the fuses, etc. Take out all the
bulbs one-by-one and clean them and check that they are the correct
type for that spot. The fast turn signal is either a bad bulb, an
incorrect bulb, or a bulb inserted the wrong way. It is possible to
force a double filliment bulb the wrong way. The pins are not the same
height but it doesn't always stop people from sticking them in wrong.
Fuse #12 might be blowing because you have the wrong size or there is
a problem in the wiring harness.

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:14:15 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Bill - It's funny that you should bring up this particular topic.  My
own car (Winged1) has one bad solenoid, and the other is very weak.
While I obviously can replace them with new parts, I have never been
happy with the original solenoid arrangement.  When we started this
company, using Darryl's inventory from Specialty Automotive, a box of
dead solenoids was included.  They were to be rebuilt, and made
available as rebuilt replacements.  The very fact that there were so
many dead parts convinced me that something else needed to be done.
After conversations with other technically savvy owners who shared
the same concerns, I asked Darryl to sketch out the system of relays
and actuators that he had installed in his car nearly 10 years ago.
He was kind enough to supply me with detailed information on how this
installation can be accomplished.  We are now in the process of
creating a complete retrofit kit, based on Darryl's original system,
that will allow anybody to replace the solenoids with high-
performance actuators.  The total cost will be less (by quite a bit)
than simply replacing the bad solenoids with new ones.  The retrofit
requires custom-made brackets and linkage, actuators, and relays that
are used to switch polarity to the actuators in order to get them to
go both ways.  Our door lock actuator system will also interface
seamlessly with our Wings-A-Loft remote Door Opening Systems, for
those who want the benefits of both.  The door switches only provide
a ground signal to the door lock impulse relay, so other hardware is
required to provide control inputs to the actuators.  The
installation will be quite straightforward, based on Darryl's
excellent input.  Stay tuned for the official rollout - coming soon.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:24:07 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Dual Exhaust.

Will post some pics to #5939's photo album AFTER the clutch disc is
replaced. I don't own a digital camera, so perhaps someone at Mid
Atlantic could do the honors next weekend...

I'm using stock manifolds. Mated to them are custom flanges and
stainless flex tubing (2"). The tubing wraps around the engine cradles
like rams horns, passing between the drive axles and the lower support
arms. Mufflers are mounted vertically in the dead space between the
engine cradle and rear fascia (directly under the frame). Exhaust tips
exit the rear fascia in the stock location.

I don't have Lambda, so O2 sensors weren't needed.

My exhaust system was conceived for improved access, not performance.
I'm sure there are advantages to bigger diameter pipes, no catalytic
converter, etc, but that wasn't my primary motivation. I just wanted
to get rid of that stupid exhaust crossover pipe. I also wanted to be
able to rotate my engine with a socket wrench. Plus heat from the
stock muffler is hazardous to both rubber on the front of the engine
and the rear fascia.

You haven't lived until you see a PRV from the back without the
crossover pipe. Access is amazing. Distributor cap and wires are
totally exposed (the upper air assembly still needs to be raised to
get enough clearance to lift them off). Clutch slave cylinder is
similarly exposed -- 5 minutes to install, no joke. If you stick your
head next to the transmission you can even see into the "valley of
death" (is kind of hard to aim flashlight beam downwards, however. You
mostly look across it rather than down into it). JZD could have made
everyone's life a lot easier by eliminating the crossover pipe to
begin with.

My new exhaust system is noticeably louder than the factory setup.
Deeper in tone too. Takes a little getting used to, but I'd be happy
with glass packs if that's what it took to eliminate the crossover
pipe. Trying to install the transmission with it in place is probably
the root cause of my failed clutch installation.

I now have a 100% gutted catalytic converter (wire mesh is gone too),
with intact studs, available for sale. I'll bring it to Mid Atlantic
and Pigeon Forge if anyone wants to buy. Reduces back pressure and
lowers exhaust temperature significantly. Oh, I also have a stock
muffler, with brackets and bushings, available too. Crossover pipe was
cut for the brackets to hold my new flanges -- sorry.