From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1978
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:38 PM

1. Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Correct Scotch Brite Pad?
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

3. Alternator story
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

4. Re: Re: catalytic converter question
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:07:35 -0000
From: "joeyoseppi" <joeyoseppi_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work

Hey Patrick,

Quess the replacement switch didn't work. Pull out a multimeter and
start checking wires for breaks. My seatbelt buzzer doesn't "buzz"
but I'm glad because that sound is SO cheesy. Best of luck on the
lights. We can just holf the flashlight behind you like we did in
Cincinatti. :)

Later,

Joe

2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:34:53 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Correct Scotch Brite Pad?

I've read that the correct Scotch Brite pad to use is #7446.  I've also read about the 3m Stainless Cleaner & Polish.  I can't find them around here.  Does anyone know of a good place to order them?

Jace

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:20:55 -0700
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Alternator story

Hey everyone,
        I had a pretty positive experience with an alternator issue that I
wanted to share.  Rob Grady came out to support the AZ-D in his yearly visit
back in January.  I've been having some strange noises coming from my engine
compartment and after all the nuts and bolts were tightened we discovered
the alternator was making a bit of noise.  This alternator is the AC/Delco
105 amp model.  Rob figured it was probably the bearings as the Island Turbo
alternator mounts are hand made and the one I have isn't perfectly straight.
Ryan Gould, our club mechanic and technical manager, has shimmed the mount
to make it straighter but the damage had been done.  After talking with Rob
I decided to buy a new alternator and have this one reconditioned as a
spare.
        Since adding all the electrical equipment to my car I was not sure
if the 105 could handle everything.  I knew it would be close but probably a
bit of a load for it.  Rob and I had some conversations with John Hervey and
John suggested the D140 with a small pulley for a lower turn-on speed.  John
called me to talk this over and when the decision was made to go ahead, he
shipped it out the next day.  It arrived in 2 days.  Since I already had an
AC/Delco alternator on my DeLorean, this was basically plug-and ply,
although I had to get a smaller belt due to the smaller alternator pulley.
The installation was pretty straightforward.  John included some unique but
easy to follow instructions with the alternator and Ryan and I followed
them.
        I've put about 1000 miles on my car since the installation with no
issues.  The D140 performs very nice and is quite stable.  It's also quick
to recover when going from idle at night with lights and A/C on to driving
speeds.  I've noticed on the highway under a good load it has a faint
turbine-like whine that's actually pretty cool, but otherwise is silent.
        John called me at home with details on the 105 as well.  Since it
had over 10,000 miles on it we decided to go ahead and replace the bearings.
Everything else checked out nicely and it performed very well.  John sent it
back to me for a nominal fee and shipping to keep for a spare.  It now spins
silent and I am sure will perform just as it did should I or another club
member need to use it again.  John was also open to the possibility of
selling me one of the higher amp alternators for my GMC Jimmy when the
current one dies.  He's very friendly and easy to work with and takes the
time to call you and go over everything.
        All in all this was a very good experience.  Rob put me in touch
with John Hervey about the new alternator and the bearing replacement on the
old one.  Ryan Gould came over and replaced the alternator and belts with me
so I was sure to get it right the first time.

We have good people out there.  Just wanted to share my recent experience.

Matthew

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:42:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: catalytic converter question

Increased Octane Ratings decrease predetonation and
increase the detonation temperature in the combustion
chamber by adding longer-chain hydrocarbons and other
"additives" (such as historically Lead and currently
Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) that are less
compressive, thus resistant to early detonation and/or
diesel detonation when the combustion chamber is
hotter.

The reason that increased octane rating results in
lower emissions (it does...) is that the higher
temperature spark necessary to detonate the fuel/air
mixture causes a hotter explosion, thus increasing
both power in the stroke of the engine, and fewer
partially-combusted particles (Volatile component of
emissions)...

Low R+M/2 rating gas has more light hydrocarbons than
high R+M/2 rating gas, thus requiring less energy to
break the molecular bond and intitiate the combustion
sequence in the chamber.  In addition, low rated gas
has fewer carbon bonds, thus less potential energy.

Fuels such as JP-8 (jet propultion fuel used in
fighter aircraft) have incredible potential energy, as
they have very high octane molecule %, requiring a
hotter ignition source (not a problem in jet engines)
and thus a higher efficency...

Pete

--- David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:
> I understand exactly what you are saying about the
> way the octane
> rating is calculated. It has been my experience that
> going up with the
> octane helps pass emissions testing. It also seems
> to help with fuel
> efficiency but not enough to justify the increase in
> price. I cannot
> give you a scientific reason for it. My guess is
> that the additives
> used to increase the octane make the fuel burn more
> completly. I
> notice I get better gas mileage on a tank of higher
> octane than lower
> octane. I do not say you need to use 91 octane on a
> regular basis but
> it has been my observation that it does lower HC if
> you go with the
> higher octane. These are my observations and
> opinions and everyone is
> allowed to agree or disagree. I say try it, it can't
> hurt. If you
> don't notice any diffference than at least you know
> you are not
> missing anything. Generally if you do fail emmisions
> testing changing
> the octane of the gas you use won't cut it. At least
> it should be
> fresh. If you still fail then you HAVE to find and
> fix the problem.
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_g...>
> wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > This question is IMPORTANT for all DeLorean owners
> even though it is
> > directed to David Teitelbaum.

Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25Ę
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:43:58 -0700
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>
Subject: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?

Aaron,

I want to commend you for writing one of the most insightful comments
about DeLorean ownership that I ever recall reading in DMC News.

Indeed, if the guy or gal driving that Mustang, rice burner, 911 Turbo,
or Lotus, looks our way itís because they are car conscious; not because
they envy us.  As you indicated, they could be driving one if they
really wanted to. Instead they have chosen to drive what theyíre driving
because they feel that is the better car.

And as for the others who look our way, they are looking, as you so
accurately postulate, because they are wondering what the heck it is?
Beyond that I donít think they give a tinkerís dam that itís a DeLorean.
You probably couldnít pay them to drive one.

While there are people who drive what they drive for ego gratification
and attention, I think a lot more couldnít care less what someone else
is driving. Cars to them are more of a nuisance and necessity than a
prized position.

While Iím putting in my two-bits worth, I want to also say that I donít
understand why some DeLorean owners on this list seem to get so upset
when people they meet make mistaken statements about the DeLorean. In a
way it can be humorous; nothing to loose oneís patience over or become
irate about. What difference can that really make in the overall scheme
of things? To me it just shows that the car at some point made a lasting
impression on them and I find that a compliment. When someone does make
erroneous statements about the car one can tell them the truth if itís
convenient but beyond that itís really not a big deal.

An Old Coot