From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1979
Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004 8:47 PM

1. RE: Correct Scotch Brite Pad?
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

2. Re: Gauge Cluster For Sale
From: "gzapf" <gzapf_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

5. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

7. RE: RE: Unused wires in door harness
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

8. Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

10. RE: Delorean Flag For Sale
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

11. Re: Correct Scotch Brite Pad?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. An oft-forgotten electrical issue
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

13. Re: Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Still getting the looks from other drivers....
From: "jakekamp" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

15. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

16. Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Window Motors
From: "That would be telling..." <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Non-Owner Opinions (was: Re: Funniest Things Heard)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

19. delorean for sale
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com

20. BTTF DeLorean on eBay
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

21. Texas Tech Session-CORRECTION
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

22. Texas Tech Session
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

23. door to roof seal replacement?
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:10:53 -0500
From: "Ancira Internet Department" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: RE: Correct Scotch Brite Pad?

I got my blending pads from DMCH.

Alex Wolf
www.deloreanowners.com

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 04:01:19 -0000
From: "gzapf" <gzapf_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gauge Cluster For Sale

A couple options I know of:
Glowing dash and AC replacements
(http://www.deloreanautomotive.com/load/products/el-glo/)

Josh Haldeman is parting out a Delorean; he might have this part... he
can be e-mailed at the address jhaldeman at a domain of fuse.net.  I
bought a great condition door air vent from him recently.

Good luck.  --Greg

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get the silk screened
plate that
> goes behind the
> air conditioner and heating controls.  Mine got scratched up.
Delorean

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:10:38 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work

It turns out I was an idiot and cut one of the wires for the reverse lights
under the fuse box when I was wiring my door launchers.   I soldered the wires
back together, wrapped the solder connection in electrical tape, popped in a
new fuse, and my lights work great now.   No more relying solely on my
brakelights to see behind me when reversing.   :)

Patrick

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 04:59:13 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?

Just a small bit on owning the DeLorean: We've paid for these cars,
some of us went on long missions to get then home.....We've spent
money on repairs-and those of you who are self-sufficient, spent hours
working on the car. To some-owning the DeLorean is like a Dream come
true-thats how I felt when I first got mine years ago. A lot of owners
have taken the time to learn all about the car; from the history of
the man behind, down to the details of the wiring diagram. I am one
who has worked countless hours making my DeLorean driveable and hours
learning about it. After all of this- when I hear people trying to
tell me all about the car I drive and did so much to get,  I do take
it as a big deal; They aren't the ones who spend time reading about
it,  they never worked on it, and also they haven't spent thousands of
dollars trying to keep the unique car on the road. So when I try to
correct them, I kind of feel a bit upset that they don't want to hear
the real truth about the car. When random people just throw out the
"does it go back to the future" or "wheres the flux capacitor" "Jokes"
and disappear into the store, its getting really old especially in day
to day daily driving- but I'm sure people don't usually think before
they ask that  we've heard those over and over again.  When I'm
driving I get upset as well as worried of the Civics and Jeeps
etc right on my bumper just because I'm in a DeLorean. I've read about
others getting pushed off the road, what is that all about? It seems
that some people like to challenge the DeLorean community-while I'm
trying to drive safe and stay out of an accident-here comes the big
pick-up 2 inches away from my rear end. All of these things to me just
add up and up, and so my tolorance lowers for people. When its a nice
person just trying to learn about my car or making small talk then
sure-I am more then willing to take the time to inform them etc. I
love driving my DeLorean, and I won't choose a different car because
people feel they need to challenge me. While
this is just the feelings inside one DeLorean owner about the others
on the road-I'm sure everyone has different feelings. I'm just posting
this to give somewhat of an understanding of why I for one get a
little upset at some people. Dan Benedek -Vin #5003-again on the road!

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:10:24 -0500
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Funniest Things Heard

I gave in on the "flux" question.
I INSTALLED ONE!
Now, when the daily question comes,
"Where's the flux..."
I point to it in the back - it BLOWS their mind.
Done.
- VB

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:36:02 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

Old Coot,  *grin*

I only partially agree with you.  I don't know about this whole "ego trip"
bit, but there are a great many people who would *kill* to drive a DeLorean.
Myself included.

When I told my friends that I was presented with the opporunity of becoming a
DeLorean owner, they were simply stunned.  Jaws dropped.  Eyes popped.  "Man,
you're so damned lucky..."  "...where did you find that?!"

You get the drift.

Everyone on this list has at least *three* gas station stories, where, they
drove in for maybe a few gallons of gas, and ended up staying there for at
least two hours, giving lectures about the car, letting people sit in it,
answering questions, etc etc.  And 99% of the owners out there enjoy this quite a bit.
 For many, that's the entire reason for owning this car in the first place.
Some owners get upset about this because it can be tiresome.  If you're late
for work, for example.  It can also be very frustrating when you have a
perfectly functional DeLorean, yet can't go anywhere with it out of fear of the
crowds.  I understand that completely.

Everyone's heard of the DeLorean.  Even my boss at work who is by no means a
car buff, and has a great many false ideas regarding the history of these cars
(then again, she's not the brightest of folk =P).  When those doors go up at
a gas station, *everyone* wants to come over and see it.  Most even want to
sit in it.  And there are certainly a great many of them who say "I wish I had a
car like that."  Even little kids get excited over the gull winged doors.

When you drive down the road in one of these cars, you're an instantly
celebrity.  Depending on your age, people will shout out "Hey, Marty!" or "Doc!" or
even "88 miles per hour!"

"So where's the Flux Capacitor?"

"So... how far back are you gunna go?"

Now granted, each person on this planet is an individual.  And just as surely
as the sun will rise this morning, there are those out there who simply don't
give a damn.  And that's fine.  I deal with these kinds of people in my line
of work every single day, and by the handful.  But the general
population--generally, now--have a great appreciation and respect for the car.

QUOTE: "Indeed, if the guy or gal driving that Mustang, rice burner, 911
Turbo,
or Lotus, looks our way itís because they are car conscious; not because
they envy us."

Again, I agree with you only up to a point.  I've caught myself driving down
the road in a fairly nice condition '94 Olds Cutlass Supreme (convertible,
even), gazing longingly at the Porsche that just sped by, leaving me to chew on
his dust wake.  Some people do turn green with envy.  Some just go "oh, yeah,
that's a nice car... isn't Mr. DeLorean still in jail?"  And then you get the
punks who think they know everything about the car (60 mpg highway, 250 mph top
speed, V16 w/ 4x turbo, GMC had to stop producing them because of the sex
scandal John DeLorean was involved in, etc etc.)

Moral of the story?  People are people.  Some are envious.  Some are
indifferent.  And as for others, well... some have negative feelings towards the car
for whatever reason.

Regards,
Div

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:58:47 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: RE: Unused wires in door harness

I've received several requests for more information about how I replaced my
door lock solenoids with actuators, freed up an extra wire in the door, and
why I needed extra relays.

I purchased my car in '93, and the first thing to go bad was one of the door
lock solenoids. Rather than spend about $150 for a new solenoid, I replaced
both solenoids with actuators, made custom brackets, and controlled the
actuators with a couple of relays. When I realized that this would leave me
with an unused wire in the door, I bought a couple of HD Door Solenoids to
use for unlatching my doors.  I also installed an alarm system with remote
door lock and unlock capability (and auxiliary capability used for door
launching).

The reason I needed the relays, was that the solenoids worked with a
constant ground wire, a wire for opening, and a wire for closing - but the
actuators use only two wires - so you actually have to reverse both the
positive and negative inputs to lock or unlock.

I retained the pulse unit (normally a high failure rate item), but since the
pulse unit now only has to pull in the relays (instead of the old
high-current solenoids) it should last forever. My door lock actuator setup
has been 100% reliable for 11 years.

Darryl and I discussed my design, but he took his design to the next level
by using actuators to unlatch (launch) the doors.

The only problem I have with my Solenoid-Operated unlatching (launching)
system is that the solenoids draw so much current, that when the battery
isn't fully charged the doors do not reliably unlatch. Since Darryl/Toby's
actuators draw less current than my solenoids they work more reliably - even
when the battery isn't fully charged.

Toby (DPNW) is packaging the Door Lock Actuator system with installation
instructions, etc. You will be able to purchase/install the new Door Lock
Actuator system, his existing Door Unlatching (launching) Actuator system,
or both.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Enid/Jeremiah <hispanicangeleyes_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> Indeed, if the guy or gal driving that Mustang, rice
> burner, 911 Turbo,
> or Lotus, looks our way its because they are car
> conscious; not because
> they envy us.  As you indicated, they could be
> driving one if they
> really wanted to. Instead they have chosen to drive
> what theyre driving
> because they feel that is the better car.

I love the ones that rev their engine or try to
impress me with all their Best Buy lights and
gadgets....I just pop my doors and tell them mine came
this way standard =P.

> And as for the others who look our way, they are
> looking, as you so
> accurately postulate, because they are wondering
> what the heck it is?
> Beyond that I dont think they give a tinkers dam
> that its a DeLorean.
> You probably couldnt pay them to drive one.

You have to understand that the DeLorean to alot of
the owners is not just a car.  It's a lifelong dream
or a symbol of serious commitment for some.  Others
see it as a "status" symbol, and that's fine - just
like any other Corvette/Porsche/Audi/etc owner.  The
DeLorean is very unique and alot of owners take
ownership of their car very seriously - I would dare
to say almost a member of their own family in terms of
importance.

> While there are people who drive what they drive for
> ego gratification
> and attention, I think a lot more couldnt care less
> what someone else
> is driving. Cars to them are more of a nuisance and
> necessity than a
> prized position.
>
> While Im putting in my two-bits worth, I want to
> also say that I dont
> understand why some DeLorean owners on this list
> seem to get so upset
> when people they meet make mistaken statements about
> the DeLorean. In a
> way it can be humorous; nothing to loose ones
> patience over or become
> irate about. What difference can that really make in
> the overall scheme
> of things? To me it just shows that the car at some
> point made a lasting
> impression on them and I find that a compliment.
> When someone does make
> erroneous statements about the car one can tell them
> the truth if its
> convenient but beyond that its really not a big
> deal.
>
> An Old Coot

On this last point, I would agree with you to an
extent.  It is good to know that the car made some
form of an impression on them, but most owners feel
the only impression anyone has of this car that is not
an owner comes straight from the BTTF Trilogy.  I
think some owners may get offended or upset at the
general public that remember it from Back to the
Future and just get plain sick of the same 3-5 jokes
heard when asked about the car.  To some owners this
car is exotic - and I think they honestly get upset
that people remember it from BTTF than thinking it's
exotic.  You see a Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley and you
tend to think "Wow, very nice.  Some one has money..."
or along that lines.  The average joe sees a DeLorean
and the first thing out of probably 9/10 people's
mouths is some reference to BTTF.  That's just the way
it is, but I'll lay even money out that some owner's
find it very irritating and would rather the movie's
never had come out.

Opinions - not facts.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:29:40 -0400
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Funniest Things Heard

I had a similar thing happen to me.  I was at my parents house last weekend detailing my DMC for the last time in the driveway before I put it in storage.  An older gentlemen came up to me and says "that must be a 56 or 57..."  I was in shock.  I told him it was made from 81 to late 82 and he said it looks older than that.  That is the first time I was told it looks older than it is.

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:50:08 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Delorean Flag For Sale

I just wanted everyone to know that I am selling the DeLorean Flag that
flew at the factory in Ireland.  I found the DeLorean I was looking for
and I need to raise a few dollars to complete the purchase, so please
visit ebay and if you have any questions, please email me.

Jack jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net
Soon to be owner again.

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:34:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I have tried several kinds of pads. The "best" one seems to be the
ones sold by the Delorean venders. It is courser than any I have been
able to find. I am trying a different one now, I am cutting up a pad
that was meant for a large floor polishing machine so it is a large
(around 30") round piece that I will cut up into squares. The 3m
polish is also available from the venders or you can get it direct if
you want a whole case. The polish is expensive so I don't use it all
the time. In between I use Windex. It has to be fresh, if the amonia
evaporates out of it, it streaks. Stay away from anything that leaves
the surface oily. It will attract and hold dust and dirt. To really do
the job "right" you may have to sand the car down first with 120#
sandpaper to get out scratches. If they are deep you might have to
start with 80#. Don't press too hard and GO WITH THE GRAIN!!!!! Don't
do one panel and think you are finished. You will have to do the whole
car to make it look even. Protect the fascias and mouldings with
masking tape when working near them.

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:46:08 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: An oft-forgotten electrical issue

Yesterday, my headlight switch slagged itself. I was given a rude
awakening when I found out that it's one of the few items that are
unavailable from vendors. The switch is a poor design. Here's what
happened:

As we all know (or should know) the fuses and fuse block contacts
should be cleaned about once per year (another example of maintenance
not normally done on other vehicles). The blades on my fuses and the
fuse block contacts were -BLACK-. Some of the plastic fuse bodies
were bloated from heat. They were new when I installed them a year
and a half ago.

Also, an area that no one thinks of: The sliding brass contacts in
the headlight switch were green/brown with tarnish or corrosion. All
of this corrosion causes resistance in the circuit which leads to a
build-up of heat that melted the plastic slide rails in the switch to
the sliding brass contacts "freezing" it in the "on" position. Not to
mention that some people feel a heavier gauge of wire should have
been used in production anyway. This could have melted down a lot of
other things.

I used a dremel tool to carefully grind away the melted plastic and
some fine, needle-nose pliers to carefully re-bend the brass sliding
contact.

The switch is "Torrix" brand if anyone wants to try to cross-ref by
that so we can find replacements.

If you drive your car a lot, replace or clean your fuses annually.
Use some emery paper and clean the fuse block contacts. This will
help save your wiring and switches. I'm not recommending people
dismantle their headlight switches, but if you keep the fuse area
clean, it will reduce the heat build-up.

Rich A.

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:48:26 EDT
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?

Dan,

I know what you mean, but I do get more 'impressed' queries than 'joke'
queries when I'm out with mine.  The latter, I put down to Jealousy, but even a few
of the latter do take the time to listen when I talk.  Sometimes, it's fun to
throw back a jibe like "This model of Delorean didn't come with the flux
capacitor stock option".

Dean.

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:56:09 -0000
From: "jakekamp" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Still getting the looks from other drivers....

Aaron,

I agree with almost everything you said, except this part:

> It's not because they envy me.  My car would be worth a LOT more if
> that were the case.

If that were the case, why do people come up to me and say, "I envy
you!!" or "That is the coolest thing I've ever seen!!" or "Wow, a
DeLorean!  Can I see inside?".  --And a lot of that is coming from
the "rice-burners" and Mustang guys.

Most people never think about buying a DeLorean because they don't
know anything about them.  --And if they don't know anything about
them, I say they're better off not owning the car. I drive the car
because I like the car, I like the story behind the car, and it's fun
to drive (including the attention, positive or negative) that it gets.

I once saw a teenaged girl outside a restuarant see my car when she
didn't know I was watching.  She yelled to her family, "That is the
ugliest car I have ever seen!!"  I thought it was hilarious.  --And I
still like the car because, as you so well described in your post,
that's my poison.

Like Aaron implied, driving a DeLorean because you think everyone
will think it's the coolest is a bad idea, because they don't.  Drive
a DeLorean because *you* think it's the coolest.  --And it is.  :-)

For me and 1063,
Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:22:29 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

We prefer answering with "it's in for a service" (and keep a strait face)

Martin

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:16:00 -0000
From: "wayofcain" <wayofcain_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just have a few really small comments.

First off, I like the attention, it's fun. Most people don't realize
you have heard the "where's the flux" question at every public place
you have stopped. That's cool, though they get to think they are
witty and I get to know someone has been made happy.

I have had one or two anti-DMC remarks, but hey, if I cared what they
thought, I would have asked them to tell me what I should drive
before I bought the car.

And secondly, as far as getting pushed goes, I have been pushed twice
by people who just didn't see the car. I have learned to use the
bikers mantra of "always assume no one is paying attention to you".

The Low profile of the DMC and the height of modern cars and
ESPECIALLY trucks and SUVs means they can look right over you when
changing lanes. I know this to be the case since I have seen it
happen. I don't harbor resentment, it was a mistake.

I have also noticed that it looks in my rearview like everyone is
tailgating. I think it just might be because the car is low and small
and the rear is so close to me.

I would imagine that there are very few people who would really want
to react so violently, and be willing to step outside of the
boundaries of what society deems to be acceptable behavior, just to
harm you or your car.

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:50:36 -0000
From: "That would be telling..." <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Window Motors

I know it's been discussed here before, and I don't need a long
debate on it, but could anyone with actual experience give a quick
rundown on which vendors and/or groups currently offer which
replacement window motor assemblies, and the costs vs. benefits of
each one?  I'm probably going to replace my long-dead units before
Pigeon Forge, and would appreciate a bit of advice on whose to go
with...

Dan Harris - Vin# 1662 - FL Tag# My 81DMC

          *****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser
Read about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: http://www.scificruise.com
Purr-use The Cat House at: http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:16:03 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Non-Owner Opinions (was: Re: Funniest Things Heard)

If you ever wanted to see a real discussion among non-DeLorean people
about the DeLorean, and BTTF, and JZD, now is your chance!

Up for sale right now on eBay is a BTTF replica, and a couple of news
sites have picked up the sale. These sites are Slashdot, and Fark.
And being community type sites with message boards, where users hold
independent discussions on the topics that have been posted. And as
such, this is going to be quite a rare opprotunity for everyone to
see just what other people really do think, say, and "know" about our
cars, BTTF, and JZD. While there are a couple a flames in the boards,
and some naturally negative comments, you'll really find that the
majority of people posting are not only positive about the DeLorean,
they're also quite accurate about their facts, and are VERY defensive
when it comes to correcting people about innaccuracies. In some
cases, just as passionate as many of us owners are. I think that
quite a few people here will be surprised...

Fark.com
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=924789

Slashdot
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?
sid=04/04/22/0017211&mode=thread&tid=159&tid=186&tid=188&tid=97&thresh
old=-1

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:14:21 EDT
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: delorean for sale

vin 6048 is now for sale. located in oxnard ,california. if anybody knows
anyone who love to own one of the legendary car please email me privately for
details.
im ready to part with this one, i've had her since 1986.
email; fredravas_at_dml_aol.com better yet im enclosing my phone just in
case;(805)2780207

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:25:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: BTTF DeLorean on eBay

Does anyone know who built this car?

eBay item: 2475019485

It's nice to see a non-fusion BTTF DeLorean.

-Christian

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:19:59 -0500
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: Texas Tech Session-CORRECTION

Oops, I put the wrong date.

I really want to get this off the ground. I am shooting for the weekend of
May 29th and 30th. We secured a garage in Austin, TX 50x60 with a lift. We
can work on 3 cars at the same time at least. The only problem is, we don't
have anyone really tech savvy to help us!!! So, contact me off the list at
alex (at) deloreanowners.com or even send me a message on my website,
www.deloreanowners.com I would like to see a decent turnout for this.
Thanks!

Alex Wolf
www.deloreanowners.com

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:58:23 -0500
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: Texas Tech Session

I really want to get this off the ground. I am shooting for the weekend of
May 23rd. We secured a garage in Austin, TX 50x60 with a lift. We can work

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:01:06 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: door to roof seal replacement?

Hello group -

What would be the best method of replacing the door to roof flat
rubber seals? I presume drilling out the pop rivets, removing and
replacing the rubber strip and re-riveting. However, I'm terrified of
drilling that close to the torsion bar. How do most of you replace
these seals?

-sean
#3231 - asleep since 1986