From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1982
Date: Sunday, April 25, 2004 10:57 AM

1. Re: DMC Console Clock Wanted
From: NJPIII_at_dml_AOL.COM

2. Auto Tranny Dip Stick
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: catalytic converter question
From: "rendycheng" <rendycheng_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. tail lights connectors
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. AW: Re: Automatic
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

7. Re: Fuel pressure values
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. won't stay running
From: "painintheass7565" <advantics_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Important info for Spring Social at PJ Grady's
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Re: Automatic
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Fuel pressure values
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: Funniest Things Heard
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

14. N. Virginia British cars show TOMORROW!
From: "Rob Hook" <rob_hook_at_dml_cavtel.net>

15. Rear Sway Bar
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

16. Re: Rear Sway Bar
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. RE: won't stay running
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: AW: Re: Automatic
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Auto Tranny Dip Stick
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

20. Re: catalytic converter question
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Re: Fuel pressure values
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip & funniest thing ever heard Cont'd...
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Fuel pressure values
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:34:28 EDT
From: NJPIII_at_dml_AOL.COM
Subject: Re: DMC Console Clock Wanted

Hey an x dmc technician. I have a new one still in OEM box. Used to work for
Delorean cadillac "Johns younger brother and son , make me an offer ?????

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:32:21 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Auto Tranny Dip Stick

It seems that the dipstick on my automatic tranny has been fixed or modified.

Can someone with an automatic tranny dip stick please measure the distance
from the edge of the red plastic handle where it touches the dip stick tube to
the full and low lines?  Email me off list if neccessary to dipstick (at)
d2tech.net

Thanks in advance,

Dave & 6530              preparing for PF 2004

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:09:36 -0000
From: "rendycheng" <rendycheng_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: catalytic converter question

## This is from the original poster ##
First of all, I would like to thank everyone helping solving the problem.

This is my final report on my smog problem.  After I read all the responses, I decided to
replace all the fuel injectors and the catalytic converter (CAT).  This is after I check the O2
sensor, ignition wiring, spark plug gap size, vacuum leak.  I changed the fuel injectors
because it does not cost that much to put a new one in.   Last night, I installed the new
CAT.  To my surprise, there is nothing inside in the CAT.  It is just an empty container.
After I stalled the CAT, the exhaust gas smell much better now.  The car is also not as
noisy as before.   I did the smog check the car this morning, and it passed with wide
margin.

Old result;

  RPM=2292 (at 15mph)
  HC_MAX = 141 HC_GP=331 HC_MEAS = 161
  CO_MAX = 0.99 CO_GP=2.49 CO_MEAS=0.66
  NOX_MAX = 1148 NOX_GP = 2270 NOX_MEAS = 2211
  CO2_% = 14.1
  O2_% = 0.8

  RPM=2408 (at 25mph)
  HC_MAX = 113 HC_GP=263 HC_MEAS = 156
  CO_MAX = 0.79 CO_GP=2.29 CO_MEAS=0.66
  NOX_MAX = 978 NOX_GP = 2070 NOX_MEAS = 2276
  CO2_MEAS% = 14.1
  O2_MEAS% = 0.7

New results: (all _GP terms become _AVG)

  RPM=1847 (at 15mph)
  HC_MAX = 141 HC_AVG=45  HC_MEAS = 8
  CO_MAX = 0.99 CO_AVG=0.16 CO_MEAS=0.01
  NOX_MAX = 1148 NOX_AVG = 434 NOX_MEAS = 654
  CO2_MEAS% = 14.8
  O2_MEAS% = 0.2

  RPM=2403 (at 25mph)
  HC_MAX = 113 HC_AVG=33 HC_MEAS = 6
  CO_MAX = 0.79 CO_AVG=0.14 CO_MEAS=0.00
  NOX_MAX = 978 NOX_AVG = 357 NOX_MEAS = 620
  CO2_MEAS% = 14.8
  O2_MEAS% = 0.2

  MEAS= AMOUNT MEASURED
  AVG=AVERAGE EMISSION FOR PASSING VEHICLES
  GP= GROSS POLLUTER LIMITES

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:27:16 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: tail lights connectors

i need a connector for my rear tail lamps, the ones who clips in to
the black strip and clips into the taillight board specialtyauto
cant have them did someone know where i could find it ??? i dont
want to buy a rear harness for tail lights only for 1 connector in
the black strip

thanks

yan

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:56:13 -0000
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Funniest Things Heard

Hey it's me again,
seems like this thread finially died, so I thought since I started
it, i'd finish it with what I heard today.

I did a test, for fun, by having a garage sale and having the
delorean right out in front on my "lawn" About 20 people thought it
had a Ford/Chevy engine, another 12 said, "luminum right?", "John
Delorean funded his business with all those cocaine deals..", "Is
that a bricklin?", "I'll give you 20 bucks for that Fiero!" ( I told
the guy, well lemme go back in time about 5 minutes to give you
another chance to not insult me. ) , "Wow a Delorean, is that a
collector car or just a used car?" ( I personally didn't get that
one. ), I made a few people happy by letting them sit in it, and you
know, that's why I love this car, who cares what people say or think
about Delorean and his car, that's what makes this car so unique, the
stainless steel, the drama behind it's creator with the cocaine, and
of course being in the BTTF movies.

Lemme just say this before I finish up my note, if anyone want's to
sit in your car or go for a test drive, do it, it makes them more
happier than you can imagine. I had a friend who worked at Autozone
right down the street from where I lived, and I told him about my
delorean and I finially brought it by. He told me that it was his
dream car and you should have seen him when I took him for a ride. It
felt great making someones dream come "partially" true, and I mention
this because the next week, he was killed in a car accident after
leaving work.

Anyways! Just thought i'd post my thoughts,

Sean "Mr. T."

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:41:56 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Automatic

Take a look at the schematic of that "computer" and explain me how
those caps would die of any spikes ? (By the way, those caps are rated
15V, not 35V !)

Even when the battery is "dead" (I mean in case of empty or discharged, NOT
broken) then it still works as an extreme large capacitor and will filter
those spikes.
A malfunctioning or even a good voltage regulator won't do anything to
prevent the car from any electrical spikes.

OK, the possibility to connect the batteries with wrong polaritiy
is always a problem. It's the same problem you have at the gas
station - who prevents you from pouring diesel in the tank ?

Newer cars all can be jump started, that's why they have to qualify
all electronical parts in a car to manage voltages like spikes, bursts,
wrong polarity, load dumps (like disconnecting the battery from the car
while engine is running - as it was suggested 2 weeks ago on this list)
and jump starting with the help of a 24V truck system !

Newer cars must more often be jump started when parked for a few weeks
(like airport) because all the computers in a newer car drain the battery
very fast. That's why they always have a spare battery at those parking
lots.

As long as you stay with 12V there is no problem at all to jump start a car.
Of course the battery still has to be connected !

Elvis & 6548

The current theory is that when you connect another car onto the
electrical circuit of the "dead" car it causes a surge that can spike
the electrical system of the dead car. The capacitors that fail are
only 35 volts so it doesn't take much of a surge to blow them. There
is also the possabilty when jumping of accidently doing it incorrectly
and applying the reverse polarity. On the newest cars they
specifically prohibit jumping the car because of all the computers in
them. You are supposed to remove the battery and recharge it or
replace it with a fully charged battery. In the Delorean I also
believe the other contributing factors include:
Age
A malfunctioning voltage regulator in the alternator
Dirty or loose electrical connections
A bad battery
A very cheaply designed shift computer made with sub-standard parts.
The last factor is probably the single biggest cause. Can you imagine?
the FRENCH making a sub-standard part!!!!!!! It is Renault BTW. As bad
as it is replacing the 2 caps seems to fix most of the shift
computers. That and resoldering all of the cold solder joints.

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:01:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pressure values

I remember that earlier when you first came on the list you had a lot
of trouble with your fuel system. Right now I think it is working well
enough that it is not the source of your current problem. I am
guessing ignition coil, ignition wires, spark plugs, cap, and rotor.
Under heavy load (acceleration) the secondary ignition circuit is
breaking down.

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:38:14 -0000
From: "painintheass7565" <advantics_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: won't stay running

I haven't work on my baby in a few weeks because of my schedule, but
5326 won't stay running without me giving it gas. I replaced the fuel
system from front to back when everything had been corrupted with bad
gas and somebody had put a check valve after the fuel accumulator
because it had gone bad. It will start and run smooth now, but dies
when I take my foot off the gas. What should I be looking for. Thanks
in advance for the help.

John 5326 & 1383

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:05:46 -0400
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Important info for Spring Social at PJ Grady's

Hi there. We've been receiving an incredible response from people who are attending next weekend's Spring Social at PJ Grady's in LI, NY. If you are planning on attending and have not e-mailed the club at springsocial_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com yet, please do so. Also, we are planning on reserving a restaurant for after Saturday's activities, and we need a head count. We need your name, and the number of people who will be with you. So please e-mail springsocial_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com by wednesday and let us know. If you don't send the e-mail to reserve seating, we cannot guarantee there will be spaces available at the restaurant for you. It will be a nice restaurant and the prices will be in the $15-$20 per person range, so you will be able to order whatever you want. So please let us know if you plan on attending the dinner so we can plan appropriately. Thank you very much.

---Dan

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:00:21 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Automatic

Does jumping the car through a cigarette lighter type jumper make any
difference, or is it just the whole process of jumping itself. (no pun
intended)
I would suspect a malfunctioning or improperly connected pressure
regulator and/or frequency valve.

> My car is experiencing a loss of power. Symptoms are:
> Flat acceleration curve. With 1/3, to 1/2 pedal applied, car
> accelerates smoothly but slowly, depress the pedal further and the
> engine stumbles mightily and the car bucks. Swapping CPR's with a
> fellow owner did not correct the problem. RPM relay was checked
and
> is operating correctly. All fuel components are new except for the
> accumulator. (1.5 years old or less). I'm currently getting 21.45
> MPG, and the lambda system is operating correctly.
>
> A Bosch K-jetronic pressure test rig reads the following values:
>
> When the rig is installed with the T-valve towards the
distributor, I
> get the following pressures:
>
> Valve open: 0 (zero) bars/psi.
> Valve shut: 4 bars.
>
> This didn't seem right to me, so I turned it around so that the T-
> valve was towards the CPR. (John H. later confirmed this for me)
With

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:00:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I was waiting for a table at a nice pizza place on a
busy Friday night a few years ago when I look outside
and see some teenage girls lookin and pointing at my
car and giggling.  A lot of times, when people see a
car like a D and no one around, they think they're not
being watched and may be a little more bold in what
they do.  So they started doing some things that made
me think they might try something, so I head outside
to give them the subtle hint that "yes, someone
actually owns this, and likes it the way it is".  As I
walk out, I distinctly hear the one girl turn and tell
her friend "OMG, it's like the Batmobile!"
"BATMOBILE!?" I respond.  I asked if they had ever
seen BTTF, and they hadn't.  That explains why they
didn't recognize it.

Whenever I hear people "correcting" me about my car,
or start down the path of asking a billion questions,
that's when I reach in the car and pull out a nice FAQ
from some D website (Sorry, forget which, but it was
from the UK)...which is free when you print from work.
 :)   It definately sends the message that you as an
owner are going to know more about your car than Joe
Average on the street.  Most are glad to get the info.

And depending on my mood, if someone says "Can you go
back in time?"  I'll throw back the stock answer
"Haven't heard that since next week" thanks to
suggestions here on the DML.  Otherr times I'll point
to the amp enclosed in a box where a flux capacitor
should be, thanks to the previous owner.

Batmobile?!

-- Marty

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:53:04 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

Dave,

I sure hope you make it.   Make sure to bring the pictures. What you did
is really unbelievable.

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:18:57 -0400
From: "Rob Hook" <rob_hook_at_dml_cavtel.net>
Subject: N. Virginia British cars show TOMORROW!

Sorry for the late notice but this message got bounced a while back and I
hadn't noticed.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not but the Capital Triumph
Registry is holding a British car show this Sunday at Collingwood in
Northern Virginia.  It looks as though there was at least one DeLorean at
last year's event so it'd be great to see some this year.

Info is found at:
http://capitaltriumphregister.com/BOG_2004/BOG_Intro_2004f.htm

Collingwod is just off the George Washington Memorial Parkway a couple miles
north of Mount Vernon.  If anyone shows up, I'll be there in support of (and
hanging out near)the cream and gray 1964 Morgan four-seater.  I'll probably
wear my old DeLorean t-shirt just for kicks.

--Rob

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:08:14 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: Rear Sway Bar

There is no stock rear sway bar.  The car did not come with one.

Scott

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 04:06:34 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Sway Bar

Oh thats right, I keep thinking of the rear cross brace as a sway bar.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_m...>

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:37:03 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: won't stay running

John, You could have a bad Idle speed micro switch that isn't turning on the
idle speed motor. You could also have a bad idle speed motor or your 02
adjustment may be to lean.
Call if you need more help.
9 to 9
12/7.

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:17:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AW: Re: Automatic

To answer a few, first, I don;t know anthing about how the jumping process works, I just remember readingon sites before I bought my D that the car's computer can be damaged. But to also to respond. As soon as the car started to slip gears I pulled it off to the side and called AAA. It wasn't running in slipping gears for more then maybe a little over 5 mins ir so. I did have a smell but it turend out to be from the pully. It ate a belt. The mechanic looked and check the fluids level and it was fine, no discoloration from what I understood, or smell. What I know is that the cars has 37,090 miles on her, I bought it with just over 31,000 on it in 2001. The car has had a few problems requireing jumping at times. Also a garage that did "work" on it nearly made it a parts car for everyone. So god only knows what they could have done, but that has been nearly a year. I have jumped the car maybe 5 times including this past summer. The trans was rebulit when it has around 29,000-30,000
 miles on it. a new computer was installed in 1997 with the car being restored. It sat from 1985-1997, then from sometime in late 97, early 98 to 2001 when I finally bought it. I never had a problem before, and it onlydid it for a short periode of time.

Darryl
5898

sorry for the late reply.

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:38:02 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Auto Tranny Dip Stick

This will be a great exercise. I have often thought the auto dip
stick was probably not accurate.

Mine is 26 3/4 inches from the red plastic handle to the full-hot
line. I use that line as the full-cold line. Years ago when I
believed the full hot line the trans would sometimes slip when cold
and show air bubbles in the fluid.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:44:33 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Great news - BTW, did you have regular or premium fuel in the tank?

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:21:27 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Hi Dave,

All of the components you mentioned below are new. Coil, cap, rotor,
plugs, wires. They are only about 9 months old, maybe less.

I look forward to seeing you at the Social so we can discuss this in
greater detail. Please bring your injector cleaner. ;)

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 02:14:32 -0600
From: "Randal Atamaniuk" <martydmc12_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean ownership; an ego trip & funniest thing ever heard Cont'd...

This is where I get confused, and frustrated with non-owners.  Forget the
Back to the Future remarks; those can be a lot of fun.  And the people who
ask the million and a half questions; better to inform them correctly than
have them walk away false information.  My concern is with the people who
argue with us about the history of our cars, and especially J.Z.D.ís
history.  These types of people seem to have a personal vendetta against
both John and the car.  Did John DeLorean one day happen to get into his
DMC-12, and drive over these peoples mothers?!  These types insist our cars
are pieces of junk; or that J.Z.D. was a crook and should be in jail.  Even
if they sometimes have all the facts right; they continue to hound us with
how stupid we must be to own such a lousy car.  And most of these people are
usually automotive enthusiasts.

I donít get it; after John left GM and his Pontiac GTO in its glorified
history, did the world suddenly go anti-DeLorean?  I wasnít old enough to
remember or even know what was going on before 1981; but I always assumed
that the creation of a new automobile was a positive thing for car
enthusiasts (okay, maybe not for Detroit).  But what happened?  Did the
cocaine scandal suddenly make our cars stainless steel heaps?  I though
1981-1982, no matter how poor sales were, the DeLorean was ďthe dreamĒ car
of that time period.

A good example is a story I heard about eight or nine years back, before DMC
Houston starting re-manufacturing the blank keys.  There was a guy in
England who had buckets of original key blanks; at the time, he could have
made a pretty penny off of them too.  But no, because he hated DeLorean so
much, he melted them down instead.  So this goes back to my question, what
is this hatred that seems to pop-up now and again at a car show, or on a
message board, etc.  Where did it come from, and why?  Whatís their excuse?
It doesnít seem to be ego or jealousy either.  Itís something else.
Something Iím not sure anyone can or will ever figure out.

Maybe Iím wrong.  Who knows.

Randy
Vin #16353

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:26:21 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

May I ask why you say that?

My original post was very long so maybe you skimmed past it:

The CPR is new, -and- I swapped it for a known good one from a fellow
owner. The pressure values shown by the gauge are only a 3 psi over
the high spec. I have verified that it's connected properly from
drawings in the archives.

The frequency vavle buzzes away, and I've check it with a dwell
meter. It is operating within the correct range.

I'm suprised no one has called me out on the 7-14 psi low primary
pressure. My question about that is: Is the pump output low, or is
the primary pressure regulator out of spec?

Can the primary pressure regulator be adjusted?

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>