From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1988
Date: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 5:42 PM

1. Re: Parting Out Value?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Parting Out Value?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

3. Re: Re: Auto to Manual
From: benjamin strand <benjamin_strand_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Name that foam...
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

5. Re: Alignment results..
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Tie Rods - almost done
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

7. Re: Parting Out Value?
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

8. Trenton Computer Show after the Spring Social
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: A couple questions about Pigeon Forge
From: "jpg6661" <jg873_at_dml_juno.com>

10. My cars price?
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Name that foam...
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:23:59 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Parting Out Value?

In a message dated 4/28/2004 6:22:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com writes:
As we all know, parts for Deloreans are natually rare in nature,
some more than others, i.e. Driver side front Fender. Sometimes you
can buy a car for a small price because its damaged heavly on one
side or something but the rest is just fine, however why don't these
people just part the car out, are they just not aware that its value
can be salvaged this way? Heres my question, if one person was to,
part out his entire car, and it was in excellent shape. What sort of
values can we afix to these parts? Example, what if I wanted to get
rid of my engine to swap with something else, what would you guys
pay for a original delorean engine? Don't they go for at some
vendors for like $7k? Panels and sort, i've heard of driver side
panels in upwards of 5K. Just curious on what is the "Fair market
value" for these "used" major parts.
WE don't just part out cars for cash because it does not work that way.
It is more profitable to rebuild the cars where possible.  The reason is that
there are so many parts but only a few are resold.
I have almost every body panel available but no buyers at this point.
You will sit on a shell for a long long time.  While you will get some cash
up front a parts car to us is worth more for the parts we can reuse evident by
the fact that 8 out of 10 cars will end up back on the road.
We have a basement full of parts that will not be requested so there is in my
opinion $0 value to that plus the labor of pulling the cars apart.

As far as your engine theory
How many do you want
I have three
On the market used engines are plentiful and Houston has plenty of new ones.
Want a tranny we have plenty

So its a matter of what you can sell in a reasonable amount of time and what
do you do with the rest.

We prefer to resore the cars unless they are beyond like the fire car.

I'll give you between $250 and $500 for your engine that what I can find them
for
We rebuild them with all new parts then reinstall them. ie raffle car.

That engine was a doner. $0 cost.

Hope that helps understand why people don't just chop up their cars
its a lot of work and the payback is not what you think

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:33:22 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

There are a few used parts that are of great value, but
aren't needed very often.  Left front fenders is a
good example, torsion bars is another.  There are a lot
of parts that would likely never be used from a parts car,
such as a tub, because any car hit hard enough to require
a new tub probably isn't worth fixing in the first place.
Most everything else is available new at reasonable
prices from vendors.

Another issue is how long are you going to have this
hulk of a car sitting around?  Parting out cars takes space,
and if you are concerned about preserving the parts,
that means covered space.  Plus marketing, packaging,
shipping, it's a hassle.

Think of it this way - for every parts car, figure you can
fix 3 other cars with the donor parts.  That's an aggressive
number - the actual number is probably much higher.  Now
figure out how many damaged cars out there are in need of
that much repair and have owners who would rather search around
for used parts rather than use the inventory of new parts.  I'd
be surprised if you could use up more than 1 or 2 cars in a year
for the entire DeLorean population.

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:55:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: benjamin strand <benjamin_strand_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Auto to Manual

Darryl,

According to the archives found at the DMCnews website, a guy named Duke Bladhorn did the same thing.  He swapped his Automatic tranny with a manual 1972 Porsche 915 transaxle.  He said it bolted up perfectly to the old transmission mounts.  The bellhousing was made custom for his set up (he had already replaced the engine with a Chevy V-6).

Search the archives and you can read about it.  I kinda want to do the same thing with my auto, but still not positive.  I've tried to get ahold of him through his old web-address, but he's never responded.  Does anyone know of way to contact him?

Ben

Dave Swingle <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com> wrote:
It can certainly be done. You won't save any money.

The biggest obstacle is the frame - there is a slight difference in
the mounting of the shifter and unfortunately it's a welded part. The
shifter mount for the manual has a bigger hole and is mounted lower
in the frame. But anything can be unwelded and moved.

Front-to-rear....You need to repace the pedal box (where the
gas/brake/clutch pedal/clutch master cylinder mounts), hydraulic
reservoir, add the hydraulic line, replace the linkage, transmission,
transmission mounts, flywheel, add a clutch, pressure plate, release
bearing, clutch fork, pilot bearing, slave cylinder.

It would usually be a lot less hassle and much cheaper to sell the
car and buy what you want. I'm not sure about the console plate but
you'd at least need the shifter boot too.

I actually have most of the parts to do it out in the garage, and I'm
sure I could find a hunk of frame around here with the right mounting
plate in it. It would add up to quite a bit of money. Probably about
the same as fixing the auto trans.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:54:09 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Name that foam...

Can anyone tell me what the name of the foam is that covers that A/C vent
flaps (aka valves) to seal them off? I thought I could Google it but I'm
having a hard time even phrasing what it is.

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:46:25 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Alignment results..

Looks like your car is too high - it needs to be 5 1/2 inches in the
front. If you have the service bulletin it explains all that. I don't
believe the readings you have are accurate. Toe is adjustable and the
front caster somewhat with the front link bushings and some spacers
but you need someone that understands all this first to make the
correct adjustments. If you want a quick lesson, check out the
following link.
http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:10:58 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Tie Rods - almost done

Johnny - Make sure the tapered shaft of the tie rod is sqeaky clean.
Do the same for the bore of the steering knuckle.  Then, insert the
tie rod shaft, and apply gentle upward pressure on the underside of
the tie rod with a floor jack or similar equipment.  The surfaces of
the shaft and bore inside diameter will lock together from friction
while you torque up the nut.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

There are lots of reasons not to salvage. When my first D was totalled by a drunk hitting me I had the option to buy the car back. Unfortunately the insurance company, like many, had a policy where buyback was 25% of the awarded replacement value. That would have made the car $5k for me to buy. Not to mention paying to get the car transported from their main offices in Virginia, and paying to store the car somewhere while I parted it. Go to the DMC news page and look at the "my rides" section to see what my car looked like. I honestly can't say that I could even cover my expenses by selling off everything on the car, much less profit from it. At this point in time there just isn't enough of a demand for it. There really isn't any market at all for used DeLorean PRVs. They're the most bulletproof part of the entire car. I think those who do buy used PRVs do so to pick certain parts off for their personal use, and then recondition and sell anything else that's sellable. Just for a reference, Bill Robertson recently bought a never used crate carbureted PRV for only $500. I've seen body panels go from anywhere from $800-$2500 on eBay for nice examples. If someone's really paying $5k for a left front fender then they're just stupid. A couple of the vendors still have them if you REALLY need them. Not to mention they can repair almost any panel... no matter how bad it looks. I really think that the vendors could undercut most big ticket items once you factor in things like shipping and reconditioning the parts to bring them up to par. It seems most owners I know also prefer to have new parts... they're pretty picky about what they put on their cars. Now I'm not saying everyone is this way, or that this dominant paradigm is the proper one. Eventually we probably will have to utilize parts cars and such more. But at this time I think it's more important we support our vendors who work so hard to keep our cars alive. As for me, my biggest reason not to part out was I just couldn't cannibalize my car. I put in years of res
lf to hack it up.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:
As we all know, parts for Deloreans are natually rare in nature,
some more than others, i.e. Driver side front Fender. Sometimes you
can buy a car for a small price because its damaged heavly on one
side or something but the rest is just fine, however why don't these
people just part the car out, are they just not aware that its value
can be salvaged this way? Heres my question, if one person was to,
part out his entire car, and it was in excellent shape. What sort of
values can we afix to these parts? Example, what if I wanted to get
rid of my engine to swap with something else, what would you guys
pay for a original delorean engine? Don't they go for at some
vendors for like $7k? Panels and sort, i've heard of driver side
panels in upwards of 5K. Just curious on what is the "Fair market
value" for these "used" major parts.

Sean

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:43:35 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Trenton Computer Show after the Spring Social

There is a computer show and flea market in NJ on May 1 & 2.

If anyone is interest in going on Sunday let me know at doctorDHD(at)aol.com.
 See you at Rob's Saturday....

Dave & 6530

Thank you,
Dr Dave

Just say no to the couch potato!
 See how at  www.tvpedaler.com

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:51:19 -0000
From: "jpg6661" <jg873_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: A couple questions about Pigeon Forge

Ken

    Off this subject but have tried to register for car show & get
raffle ticket but will not take my card????? Could you contact me off
list. Thanks   John  jg873_at_dml_juno.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:
> In a message dated 4/25/2004 5:41:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> derek4567_at_dml_h... writes:
>
> QUESTION
> I wish to register for the show, and am confused about a couple
> of things.  If we have a friend or a few friends coming to the
show,
> are they supposed to pay $20 each just to attend?
> ANSWER
> If you all register together it is just the first two that pay the
$20 I
> waive the extra $20 per person after two.  And it is people in your
party not
> just individual families. If they want the dinners they need to
register.  No badge no food (they don't have DeLoreans).

> QUESTION
> Aren't there people that just show up at the show just
> to look and walk around?  Do they have to register?
> ANSWER
> If all you want to do is walk around then there is no charge at all
for the
> show Sat.
>
> QUESTION
> Also, for owners who attend the Saturday night banquet, can their
cars stay inside the convention center building (where they were the
whole day) while they are at the banquet?

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:36:35 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: My cars price?

Well, I have a 1981 Oct built DeLorean. The car has 37,092 miles on
it. It is my dream to own it, however since still being in college
and only having a part time job my funds for the car are very, very
limited. I bought the car in 2001 for 16,000. And since have put
repaires into the car that would bring my total investment to around
22,000. I love this car, and don;t want to let it go. It hurts just
seeing it sit there. But has fate would have it, and also god hates
me, the big one hit and now I have no funds to fix the car... well I
could afford the parts, but not the labor too. Anyone who has read
any of my posts now knows that my transmission is gone. The car
still is mobile, but very little. The tras slips, and has begun
to "smoke". I always wanted an 83' 5-speed, and one thought was to
convert the transmisson but I will not have the funds to do so. And
I can afford the transmisson but not the work to install it.
The only parts that I know of that I have been replaced or rebuilt,
is the fuel distrubitor, the injectors, and I hae an exhaust leak on
the drivers side. What I have done to the car is:
1. Replaced the accumulator
2. fuel pump, and filter.
3. added a CD player, still have the factory radio.
4. Anti squeek brakes.
5. New water pump
6. all new coolent hoses
7. new overflow bottle.
8. new theromotime switch, thermostate.
9. new micro switch
10. new 105 amp alternator
11. full tune up done in March of 2003
12. tires blanced.
13. new pick up hose.
14. New release cable for the hood.
15. New speed cable.

much much more has been done.

what it does need still is the exhaust leak, new seat covers. The
ones that are in there are just worn out. They aren't torn at all,
just cracked. The dash is discolored and cracked. I have a vinyl
cover over it right now, and a cover from one of the vendors. A new
gas strut for the drivers door. It opens but needs help, sometimes
sags. Needs and new engine cover, not the louvers but the cover over
the engin. Its cracked and the vents on them aren't that good.

I have recpits from the prevous owner of the car. That add up to
some 6k work done before I bought her. The car has an autmatic
transmission. It was rebuilt in 1997 by PJ Gradys, however it has
fiannly given out. I really don't want to give up the car but I
don't want to let it just sit.

So my question is that with all this information, what price would I
have to put on the car that is reasonable, and is there anyone out
there that may have a 5-speed in similar condition maybe willing to
trade.

When the car was fully drivable it ran good and strong. Again its a
Oct built 1981 Delorean, groves in the hood. It has grey interior.
37,092 on the odomoter. Runs and drives smooth, just needs the
transmission.

Any questions please email me at DeLorean170_at_dml_aol.com, or call at 570-
331-8456, I'm located in North Eastern PA.

Thanks,
Darryl

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Name that foam...

Hi Travis.  If it's what I'm thinking of, you shoudl
be able to find it under "open cell foam".

Steve