From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1990
Date: Friday, April 30, 2004 3:11 PM

1. Re: Alignment questions!
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Ride from So. Florida
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. New D fan!
From: "Jeff" <dreammotorcar_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Pigeon Forge or Bust
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

5. Re: Pigeon Forge or Bust
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

6. ATTN: Mark V (Pigeon Forge or Bust)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

7. Strange Place for Wiring?
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: New D fan!
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. RAFFLE CAR STATUS
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Is anyone going to Pigeon Forge from Oklahoma Area?
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Input Shafts
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Tie Rods - almost done
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

13. Re: Strange Place for Wiring?
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re: Input Shafts
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. torsion bar differences
From: "simonsays10002003" <simonsays10002003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

16. Re: torsion bar differences
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Shock Kit
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

18. Re: Strange Place for Wiring?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: RE: New D fan!
From: Jeffrey Brian Grady <jgrady1_at_dml_stumail.jccc.net>

20. Re: torsion bar differences
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Input Shafts
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: New D fan!
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

23. Re: Is anyone going to Pigeon Forge from Oklahoma Area?
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Drivers Side Marker Lights
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>

25. Re: Re: Auto to Manual
From: "Me" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:21:50 -0000
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Alignment questions!

Hey Phil. I'm in Hillsboro. Where do you take your car for alignment
in Salem? I can't seem to find anywhere in my area that knows enough
about the car that i would trust to do it properly. I'm scared of the
trailng arm bolts.. maybe I'm too paranoid...

adam

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ride from So. Florida

Awhile ago there were several posts from (whocruiser), I believe offering a ride from Ft. Lauderdale Fl. Up to Pigeon Forge For the Big show.
Possibly interested in joining the caravan up there, any info?
THANKS ALL?

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:25:26 -0000
From: "Jeff" <dreammotorcar_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New D fan!

Hello all.
   I am Jeff. I am in Kansas, just joined the group today. No D yet
but I am slowly working on it. Here is a question for ya.

-Anyone have a list of what was included in the inital dealership
parts kits?

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:02:45 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Pigeon Forge or Bust

Bill, there are two locating roll pins at the top of the bellhousing.
I'm not sure if it's meant to be like this but the one we took off today
left one in the bellhousing and one in the engine. The alignment does
NOT rely on the bolts. Dave Swingle posted some time ago about the
results if these are missing.

BTW I checked with Darren (PRV/Renault guy) and he said the original 10
spline was bespoke. They changed to a 21 spline (not 28) to conform with
other manufacturers. And, in reply to a previous post - smaller splines
equals larger diameter solid part of the shaft =  stronger shaft

Martin

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:40:07 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

What are you taking about with my name in it? Why am i your second
choice?

Mark V

On Thursday, April 29, 2004, at 04:32  PM, content22207 wrote:

> You fail to understand: even though they are vastly superior vehicles,
> a Mark V is my second choice (Pigeon Forge *IS* a DeLorean event).
>
> I've been closely examining the fit between my lastest victim -- er,
> clutch disc -- and the alignment tool. For the first 1/4"-1/2" it is
> indeed very possible to be in the splines yet still not fit 100%. Held
> up to the light, you can see that there's a surprising amount of
> wiggle room at that point. The tool easily replicates my twofold
> problem:
> - Slight angle downwards
> - Slight misalignment, with too much pressure on one side of the
> splines
> I think I've been relying too much on the bellhousing bolt holes. They
> are not a tight 10mm fit (only hold the transmission and engine
> together, not in alignment). With jacks at far ends of the engine and
> transmission, and loose fitting rods through the bellhousing, I am
> exerting too much downward pressure on the input shaft, and never
> recover as I pull it through (off to one side too, and never recover
> from that either). A 10 spline disc is strong enough to orient the
> input shaft without damaging itself. A 28 spline definitely is not.
>
> When installing a 10 spline transmission all you have to do is pay
> attention to torque on the mounting bolts. If it binds, resistance on
> a bolt will tell you when and where, allowing you to compensate on the
> opposite side. And as I said, the disc is not damaged in the process.
> A 28 spline can NOT do the same. There is absolutely no noticeable
> change in bolt resistance if it binds (trust me -- I've done it twice
> without realizing it).
>
> For the price of the damaged clutch discs I could have bought a proper
> transmission jack...
>
> Bill Robertson
>
>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_y...> wrote:
>> Perhaps you could enter your Lincoln in the show as
>> "modified" DeLorean.  It could be parked right
>> alonside the D-Rex.  Nah, bad idea.  Rich would
>> probably try to crush it.

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:24:24 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: ATTN: Mark V (Pigeon Forge or Bust)

Lincoln Mark V. Produced 1977-1979 (229,000 copies). I own 5 of them.

http://www.automotivemileposts.com/contentsmark5.html

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:21:04 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Strange Place for Wiring?

I am the owner of VIN 1913 and have a somewhat strange problem.
When you open my doors, the black rubber cover that goes over the
wires into the door are on the outside of the torsion bar instead of
the inside.  Does anyone else have this problem? It seems to be
giving pressure to the torsion bar becasue of its location. I also
want to know if anyone has a problem with film gathering up on the
inside of all the windows when in the sun. It wipes off easy but is
a pain because it appears more often now that it is warmer.

Thanks,
Adam Lee

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:17:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: New D fan!

I don't know every detail, but I have a list from a dealership that he gave
me on stuff he had for sale if that would help.
Dallas/Forney, Texas

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:34:50 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: RAFFLE CAR STATUS

Well as of yesterday we were over 125 tickets sold and I know of at least 10
more on their way so as far as I am concerned the RAFFLE CAR HAS MET THE
MINIMUM so the car is definately going on June 17th.

This car has had extensive refurbishing going on, A lot more than we were
going to do but Dave, Rich and myself just cannot let a DeLorean Go without
tinkering with it to fix or upgrade everything.

Dave Bauerle is doing the last few touches on it now as it is in Columbus and
it will be back in Chicago on the 15th.  Dave is driving the car (when in
Chicago) to work and back every day to make sure that all is well with the car.

This car is in a lot better condition than we expected at this point and the
vendors have all donated a lot of parts to make the car look great.  Some of
the earlier blems like the cracked marker lights have all been replaced.

I have a few days of interior work left then its done and will be ready for
its journey to Pigeon Forge.

Yes we will be driving it from Chicago to Pigeon Forge not towing it.

The car is a driveable daily driver that is at this point extremely clean.

So if you have been waiting (and there are at least 6 of you that keep asking
the count) this car is going to be raffled off Saturday night at the dinner.

We also plan to have a web cam (one frame every 15 seconds to accommodate
those with phone links) of the event so that you can see the car raffled off.

we will probably make a sign and flash it to the camera to show the winning
name.
that it tentative since we do not know how detailed the camera will be at
this point.

So buy your raffle tickets

And there are still a lot of you out there that have not done yoru event
registration yet but have signed up for the hotel

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:15:30 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Is anyone going to Pigeon Forge from Oklahoma Area?

I was wondering if anyone in the Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas Area is
driving to Pigeon Forge.  If you are drop me an e-mail. I am going
alone and thought it might be cool to have someone to talk to and
share expenses. I live in Oklahoma City. I will probably rent a car
but thought about driving the DeLorean if it looked at by a
professional first.

Adam Lee

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:47:52 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Input Shafts

Smaller splines also = weaker splines. They simply can not put up with
the punishment of aligning an input shaft like big 10 splines can. And
they're shaped differently (angled sides vs straight), reducing the
amount of material even further. I found my old AMC alignment tool and
compared it to the Valeo:
Width of splines: 5/32" vs 1/16" (halfway down spline)
Depth of splines: 5/32" vs 1/16"

I fail to understand the inherent weakness of Renault input shafts.
Ford runs theirs on the 460 (425 lbs torque) no problem. Apparently a
Chevy 350 will snap the Renault. Or does it just strip the splines?

My pins are in place BTW. I think the damage is done before I ever
reach them. You'd be amazed at how little effort is needed to totally
ruin a 21 spline disc.

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:55:58 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Rods - almost done

I managed to get both boots installed thanx to the help of the
members of this list, (once again).  The floor jack did the trick to
get the nut on and, after spinning around the block,  it doesn't seem
out of alignment.  I'm going to take it on the freeway tomorrow and
try it out.

Thanx again to all who responded to my cries for help!

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:24:55 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Strange Place for Wiring?

If you're happy with adjusting your own torsion bars (with help of
course) then it's a small step to actually taking the torsion bar out.

Martin

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:23:21 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Input Shafts

content22207 wrote:

>Smaller splines also = weaker splines.

Yes, but there are twice as many of them! In fact the surface area they
cover is larger, so as a total, you've got a stronger link. Are the
splines precisely half the size on the newer ones? Explain to me how
there are 21 instead of 20?

> And
>they're shaped differently (angled sides vs straight), reducing the
>amount of material even further.

But the "base" of each spline is the same size, so the amount of
material taking the shear force is exactly the same.

>I fail to understand the inherent weakness of Renault input shafts.

There isn't one. I've stated this many. many times before - it's been
designed as the weakest link deliberately to prevent anything more
expensive breaking instead. BUT that's not to say they're "weak". These
gearboxes have a deserved reputation for being absolutely indestructible
over here - a special race edition of the Alpine A610 GTA V6 Turbo put
out well over 400bhp from the factory! For the gearbox to break was
unheard of. The UN1 and 369 gearboxes (which are interenally identical)
are very sought after - Lotus used it in the Esprit, and you don't head
of many Esprit owners breaking input shafts, and that's a twin turbo V8.

THE REASON THEY BREAK IS THE FINAL DRIVE. On the DeLorean it's 3.4:1 -
on the 25 turbo, Alpine, Esprit, they're all 3.8:1 - this puts less load
on the clutch and gearbox, and dumps it to the back tyres.

>Ford runs theirs on the 460 (425 lbs torque) no problem. Apparently a
>Chevy 350 will snap the Renault. Or does it just strip the splines?

I bet it snaps the shaft - the size of the splines has little to do with
the "grip" - ever used taper-lock tools? That relies on friction at a
molecular level - nothing more than one cone knocked inside another cone
with little force, is enough to hold a 1/2" chuck on my 3kW pillar drill.

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:31:22 -0000
From: "simonsays10002003" <simonsays10002003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: torsion bar differences

hi why would my cars torshion bar on the passenger side have a
square end and my drivers side have a hexaganal end {i think}

thanks in advance simon

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:04:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: torsion bar differences

The ends are different so you cannot accidently switch them. They are
"wound up" in different directions, the left one cannot work on the
right side and vice-versa. This is why although there is an inventory
of right side torsion bars, there is a VERY limited quantity of left
side bars. They ARE NOT interchangeable.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "simonsays10002003"

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:43:21 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Shock Kit

Does anyone have a set of performance shocks?  My D is in the shop, and
I think its time to replace the original 83's shocks :-)

I thought I would ping the list first, before I purchase 2 pairs from
one of our vendors.

Jason
Jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:13:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Someone at some time in the past must have installed the torsion bar
on the wrong side of the wiring. It would be good if you could remove
the torsion bar and reinstall it on the other side to reduce the
stress on the wiring. This is no easy task especially if you never did
it before. Find a local club to help you out.
 Film on the windows is either moisture coming out of the carpet or
seats from water that leaked into the car. Either there is a rain leak
or maybe the car was flooded in the past. Other possabilitys include a
leaking heater core, smoking in the car, and the use of some kind of
cleaner or polish that is evaporating and condensing on the glass.
Leave the car in the sun and let it get really hot. Take out the floor
mats, seats, and carpets to dry in the sun. If you see stains on the
headliner there is a leak.

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:53:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jeffrey Brian Grady <jgrady1_at_dml_stumail.jccc.net>
Subject: Re: RE: New D fan!

Hey!
   That would be great! Thanks
Jeff Grady(I wonder if me and P.J. are related?)

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:30:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

So you do not install them in the wrong spot.

Each bar is twisted the opposite direction.

--- simonsays10002003 <simonsays10002003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:26:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I beleive the failure part is the internaly splined
coupling inside of the transmission.  Not the input
shaft itself.  I dont think spline design is the issue
with input shaft failure on engine conversions.

Darryl (Former owner of Specialty Auto in Washington
state) had a custom one made for his Chevy conversion.
 If he is still on the list, he can give more detail.

<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:49:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Are you talking about parts kits for use of repairing the cars under warranty, or are you talking about the accessories you could buy for the cars like stripes, floor mats, luggage racks, and car covers? If it's the latter go to this page and scroll down to the bottom to see an original optional accessory sheet:

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/d_broc2.htm/

Also go here for some interesting documentation:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/SW-01-6.81.html

The entire DMC New FAQ section has some great stuff in it.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:02:35 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hi Adam,
I will be driving my D from Fort Worth, Texas to PF.
I am trying to get some other local D owners here to join in.
If your trip takes you past this way I would be willing to
caravan with you.
Let me know.

- Videobob
VIN#5278
http://www.dfwdmc.com

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:44:19 -0500
From: "Alex Wolf" <alex_at_dml_ancira.com>
Subject: Drivers Side Marker Lights

My marker lights were working periodically, and so I took the switch out to
see if it was bad. Well, there seem to be 3 wires hanging, and no
combination of them makes the lights work again. Can someone help? It seems
that one is a constant power, and it will make the lights stay on all the
time. Another seems to be the door buzzer, and I don't know what the third
is. Can someone tell me how they are supposed to be hooked up? There are two
switches on the drivers side, maybe one of the wires got mixed up somewhere.
Thanks in advance!

Alex Wolf
www.deloreanowners.com

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:31:39 -0500
From: "Me" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Auto to Manual

That's me.  The Porsche transmission swap wasn't too bad (the linkage BY FAR
was the hardest part) but the stock transmission mounts DO NOT bolt up
perfectly to the Porsche tranny!  The half shafts did though.  Don't quote
me on this, but I'd bet that most any Porsche transmission would mount right
up to the half shafts.  On the mount, I had a piece fabricated/welded
between the stock Porsche tranny mount to the DeLorean tranny mounts.  It
turned out as a really nice piece and if it had to be removed, it would be
removed via the DeLorean mounts.  I got all of the DeLorean parts I needed
(pedals, master/slave cylinder) from Josh and Ken.  The pedals were easy to
put in (other than having to remove the steering column)  However for the
shifter, I had to cut some of the frame inside the console area to mount it
and I also had to open up the hole in the frame in the rear of the car to
accommodate the shift linkage.  As Dave pointed out, you would have to do
this with a DeLorean manual transmission as well, but it wouldn't be hard to
do.  I had 2 body shops check out the cutting to the frame I did and they
both agreed that I have not weakened the frame in any way.  All in all, I'm
very, VERY happy with the swap, but it was more involved than the engine
swap.  On the engine swap, it was estimated at costing around $2000 to
install the engine (Granted I did all the work and fabrication myself which
saves A LOT!) and took 8 months to finish (mostly b/c I did it in the winter
and HATE cold weather...the car was done outside in my driveway) and on the
tranny swap, for everything it cost roughly $2300 and took 1 1/2 months to
complete (at a shop inside with a rack; but it took that long b/c of parts)
Now I have roughly 220-230 hp and haven't had a single problem!  After the
summer, I plan to do a heads/cam combo.If anyone has any questions, feel
free to email me.

BTW, my email address is at88mph_at_dml_att.net Benjamin, I think I remember you
emailing me, and us exchanging emails, but on the last one I wrote a reply,
and it bounced back twice.  I think it was saying your mailbox was full?  If
you still have any questions, feel free to email me.

Take care,

Duke