From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1992
Date: Saturday, May 01, 2004 4:56 PM

From: Jeffrey Brian Grady <jgrady1_at_dml_stumail.jccc.net>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>

From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

9. Christinna Ferrare Delorean
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Re: BTTF DeLorean on eBay
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

12. Continued: Renault Input Shafts
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: input shaft - primary shaft coupler
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. Re: Drivers Side "Marker Lights"
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Delorean Time Machine
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>

16. Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

17. Re: Giugiaro's Toyota
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

18. Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>

19. Re: Steam cleaning
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

20. 15 Amp Fuse?
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:35:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jeffrey Brian Grady <jgrady1_at_dml_stumail.jccc.net>
Subject: Re: New D fan!

Louie,
   Yes, I meant the parts kits sent to the dealerships for warranty
repairs. But thanks for the info on the accessories.
   Jeff

Louie G wrote:

>Are you talking about parts kits for use of repairing the cars under
warranty, or are you talking about the accessories you could buy for
the cars like stripes, floor mats, luggage racks, and car covers? If
it's the latter go to this page and scroll down to the bottom to see an
original optional accessory sheet:

>http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/d_broc2.htm/
>
>Also go here for some interesting documentation:
>
>http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/SW-01-6.81.html
>
>The entire DMC New FAQ section has some great stuff in it.
>
>Louie Golden
>VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:43:45 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Drivers Side Marker Lights

Yeah...hey Alex!  There should be four wires for the driver side door
courtesy lights and the door buzzer...it sounds like one of your wires
may be trapped up in the void that's under the left most kneepad back
there.  That, or the wire was cut.

This was probably done because, 1. the door buzzer is annoying, and 2.
sometime the door light plunger isn't properly depressed when the door
shuts, and the lights stay on, wearing out the battery.  You can fix
this by filing a small notch in your plunger switch, and then the lights
will stay off unless you want them on.

Thanks to Shannon Yocom for showing me that trick!

Cheers,
Josh
VIN 11289 (parts)
VIN 10236 (parts)
VIN 3951 (restoration project...going to Chicago tonight!)

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:16:19 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Steam cleaning

Hi,
My car is currently waiting in customs to be cleared into Australia.
Customs has ordered that the car/underside/engine etc all be cleaned
with a high preasure steam cleaner to remove all dirt/dust from
overseas. Is there anything i should tell them to be careful of on a
Delorean or cover up before they do it apart from the obvious
distributor? Thanks in advance, Nick

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:08:09 -0000
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Delorean Sighting!!

hi all,
While flipping through the channels today I came across a D!  I
didn't get much but all I saw was the famous DMC on the grill and
about a second of them talking about it.  Did anyone else see this on
Friday at 5 EST on Spike TV?
Thanks,
Larry Bauer
no VIN..... yet

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:09:23 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Giugiaro's Toyota

Did anyone else see Giugiaro's Toyota Volta by Italdesign?
I was checking it out in a magazine yesterday.
Pretty awesome.
Oddly enough, if you squint you can still see his influence,
and that of the likes of the Delorean even after all these years.
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 00:24:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I think you mean the courtesy and door lights. One of the two switches
on the left door sill controls them. The other is for the buzzer. If
you get your head under the dash you should see two groups of wires
heading for the switches. Each group of two is taped together. That is
how they should be attached to the switches, not mixed. If the lights
won't go on at all try the other door switch on the right side. If
neither makes the lights go on check the fuse. You should find 4 wires
total, 2 for each switch on the left side. The marker lights are the
amber and red lights on the exterior of the car on the front and rear
fenders.

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:40:35 -0700
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Happy Happy Joy Joy

I'm excited! When I opened the mail today there was the 8x10 glossy of
my car that  I had sent to JZD for an autograph. I mailed it last
Friday with a self addressed priority mail envelope to return it.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros 120
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:42:17 -0700
From: "darryl" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: RE: input shafts

Marc said:
<<I beleive the failure part is the internaly splined coupling inside of the transmission.  Not the input
shaft itself.  I dont think spline design is the issue with input shaft failure on engine conversions.

Darryl (Former owner of Specialty Auto in Washington state) had a custom one made for his Chevy conversion.  If he is still on the list, he can give more detail.>>

Exactly right.  Its the coupler on the other end of the input shaft that will fail, in 3rd gear on a freeway on-ramp 100 miles from home on a Sunday night (trust me on this).  It is very soft material and is only splined in 3 places, not all the way around.  I suspect it functions like a shear pin or fuse, failing in order to protect more expensive parts.  I had a new one made by an aerospace machine shop, heat treated to bulletproof.  I also had the lead removed from my right foot.  300HP is fun, but it can be costly....

Darryl Tinnerstet
(formerly Specialty Automotive)
McCleary, WA

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 02:58:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Christinna Ferrare Delorean

Christinna was on LIVE w/ Regis and Kelly this morning. She is out
doing the rounds pushing her new book. She made a very minor, passing
reference to JZD. I caught it on VHS if anyone is interested. (I don't
think I spelled the name right though!)

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:56:51 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: BTTF DeLorean on eBay

hi
did the new owner know about the car show
IF I can get him to PF we can have 6 or 7 of the bttf cars

Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 00:11:50 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Are you happy you got it back or did he sign it?

:P
Jim 1537

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:40:35 -0700 Phil Priestley
<phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com> writes:

> I'm excited! When I opened the mail today there was the 8x10 glossy
> of
> my car that  I had sent to JZD for an autograph. I mailed it last
> Friday with a self addressed priority mail envelope to return it.
>
> Phil Priestley
> Alessandros 120
> http://alessandros120.com/
> (503)370-9951

> address:

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 04:36:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continued: Renault Input Shafts

I agree with Marc Levy: splines are the weak link. If I can damage
them with a 17mm flat wrench, they aren't hitting on much. Their
diminutive size should tell you as much.

BTW: I think your eyes are a bit bigger than your stomach Re: Renault
Alpine A610 Turbo. I found exactly two websites that rate it more than
250 HP -- yours (delorean.co.uk) and these guys:
http://www.alpinerenracing.com/arr/gta.html
Everyone else in the world, including the "official" Alpine fan club,
rates the turbocharged variant at 250 HP _at_dml_ 5,700 RPM. If you do the
math that's a fairly pedestrian 230 FT LBS of torque -- hardly input
shaft snapping power.

This same topic (Alpine HP) apparently made it way through the DML
several times in 1998 with the same conclusion: 250 HP is the more
reliable number. You're going to be very hard pressed to get much more
than that from a 3 liter gasoline engine, even turbocharged.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_d...> wrote:
These
> gearboxes have a deserved reputation for being absolutely
indestructible

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 04:52:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: input shaft - primary shaft coupler

Actually the coupler is splined all the way around except for two flat
areas the width of the roll pin (about 3 splines on each side).

Inserting that pin with the transmission already assembled is a real
joy BTW. It can be done, but I wouldn't make it a regular practice.

FWIW: My transmission is finally back in the car WITHOUT binding the
clutch disc. Some guys from the railroad came over to help "wig it in"
(technical Southern procedure akin to making sausage -- don't watch).
Apparently it paid to criticize their no-show promises in an
international DeLorean news group. I'm too tired to describe the event
in detail tonight -- will post another message tomorrow after all the
other crap removed to access it has been re-assembled.

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 05:22:04 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Also remember: this is a DeLorean -- switches control the ground AFTER
the lamps. Aren't much of a switch either -- just two pieces of metal
rubbing together that fall apart if you merely loosen the mounting screws.

Page M:18:12 of the Workshop Manual documents the circuit. My copy is
missing component identification numbers, but the symbols are pretty
self explanatory.

Check for voltage at one of the door light sockets using an ice pick
light. If it's there, jump the purple with stripe (blue?) switch line
to a known good ground and they should come on. If there's no voltage
at the socket, check Fuse #12. If it's good, the problem is probably
at the diodes near the accelerator pedal (are three bundled together,
resting on the center spine).

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 05:31:59 -0000
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Delorean Time Machine

Im sure this has been asked and covered a trillion times. *Smiles At
Moderator* Anyways, I know i've seen it somewhere but I can't
recall, is there a website that teaches or atleast gives you a good
idea on building a bttf delorean? You know, adding little parts to
the car to make it like the movie. Where is the best place to
purchase some of these main components like the time circuits and
the flux capacitor. I have seen many replicas but only a mere few
that actually look and act like their movie counterpart. This is all
sparked by that recent ebay auction, and they have a working time
circuit system where you can actually punch in the dates, see now
thats cool, where can I get that stuff? You guys know, so lemme
know! =)

Sean

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 11:29:30 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Phil,

What address did you send the picture too?

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 15:54:22 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Giugiaro's Toyota

Never heard of it before untill you mentioned it, but yes, you can
tell that it's a Giugiaro design. No matter how much the wedge
profile has evolved since the DeLorean, Giugiaro/ItalDesign always
incorporate trapezoid shapes on both their windscreens, and the
overall shape of the car, from front to back. Plus, this a great
example of how the wedge shape has further evolved. ID loves to taper
off the front of the bonnet, and raise the fenders up, and conform
them to the shape of the wheels. Plus, they keep moving the C pillars
inward more, to accomodate intake scoops for the rear engines.

On a side note, the rear quarter panels, and rear bumper definetly
have that Celica look from a side profile. But without the Toyota
badges, I would have sworn that this was a Mazda from any other
angle. It's got an RX-8 front end, with an MX-3 rear clip.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 17:14:47 -0000
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>

do you know his address?

Larry Bauer
no vin... yet

Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 10:45:39 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Steam cleaning

In a message dated 4/30/04 9:21:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> Hi,
> My car is currently waiting in customs to be cleared into Australia.
> Customs has ordered that the car/underside/engine etc all be cleaned
> with a high preasure steam cleaner to remove all dirt/dust from
> overseas. Is there anything i should tell them to be careful of on a
> Delorean or cover up before they do it apart from the obvious
> distributor? Thanks in advance, Nick

That depends on how good of shape your rubber on the engine is.  That is, if
you have old spark plug wires, the boots will leak water, vacuum hoses could
be ripped if they are old or too soft, brittle wires could be broken.  how
confident are you?

My engine has been gone through (at least all wiring, hoses, electrics, etc
have been replaced) and i get my motor steam cleaned once a year (waiting until
a couple days before pigeon forge this time).  i have never had a problem.

one thing to be careful of, however, if they should NOT aim the steam spray
right at either of the two heatshields - the muffler heatshield and the
catalytic converter shield.  those will disintegrate.

Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 18:36:38 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: 15 Amp Fuse?

I'm currently relaciing all of the fuses and found a blue 15A in the
Reverse Lamps socket, (#16).  Shouldn't it be a 10A, or does it
matter as long as it's 10A or more?

Johnny