From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1997
Date: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 10:36 PM

1. Re: Power window trim... the fuzzy caterpillar
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Horsepower vs Torque
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

3. Re: Dakota Digital Cruise Control Installation
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

4. Re: Starter replacement
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Closing your doors from the outside
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

6. Re: Starter replacement
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

7. They're not in Kansas anymore
From: "Jeff" <dreammotorcar_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Torque From Displacement
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: RPM Shifting a Renault Transmission
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: AC Service
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: Clutch Problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: AC Service
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 14:34:34 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Power window trim... the fuzzy caterpillar

In a message dated 5/3/04 11:34:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

> I replaced both of mine last fall.  the part was $20-$30, somewhere in
> there.
> for some reason it is not listed on DMC Houston or Grady's websites - maybe
> they are all gone now?  i remember they were too long but were just like OEM

They were OEM- including the glue. Maybe they're either finally gone or
yanked off the market because the glue was shot.  James....?
-Wayne

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:41:43 -0400
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Horsepower vs Torque

True mainly because many stock 4cylinders
are made for everyday use where you need torque to work with, and not
race with.
But trying to increase hp and torque you have to change cams or computer
settings that control the valve timing to enable the engine to
reach much higher rpms for hp. And when you do that the engines
peak torque is at a higher rpm. Even though the rpm difference between
the
small engines to the much lager one isn't much. The difference in torque
is
huge. There is no way you could get the same amount of torque at the same
rpm out of
a N/A 2.0L 4 as with a 5.7 LS1.

MT

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 20:36:04 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Dakota Digital Cruise Control Installation

>> Some of you who are subscribers to DCS magazine might have seen my
>> 4 page article on how to replace your electric antenna.

Just found DCS magazine. Which issue was it? I'd like to buy it, as I
will need to replace my antenna soon.

Thank you,

-Ryan

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 17:13:49 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Starter replacement

In a message dated 5/4/04 9:56:03 AM Central Daylight Time, nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

> Hi Group,
>
> Looks like I need to do a starter replacement, never done one on the
> car before. Any special tips or tricks? Just a quick check before I
> run into an unforseen problem.
>
> Nick

Nick,

not much to it.  there's only three bolts that hold it to the bellhousing.
make sure you disconnect the battery before attempting anything down there.
careful - the starter is pretty heavy (as heavy as it looks, in fact).  it's
actually quite hard to mess up this job... replace the starter solenoid while you
are at it. they aren't as good as the starter itself.  you may want to try to
get your starter rebuilt instead of a direct replacement.  that's what i did.

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 20:29:05 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: Closing your doors from the outside

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_r...> wrote:
> What's your favorite method of closing the doors from outside the car?
> So far, I've tried:
>
> 1. Grab the interior handle, pull down hard, and let go. The door
> closes, but I have to put my whole body into it.
>
> 2. Put my hand on the door and close it. Leaves hand prints on the
> stainless.
>
> 3. Use the plastic trim. Works great, but I'm afraid I'm going to
> unnecessarily wear or damage the trim this way.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> -Ryan :)

Thanks all for the responses, & big thanks to David for the detailed
info. My doors seem to close fine without too much effort, but I'll
play with it a bit with your message in hand to make sure everything
is as it should be.

>> I either push at the glass
>> line or the rub strip at the rear of the door by the handle.

Yeah, that's what I've been using -- that rub strip. I'll start
pushing from the back now, though, instead of the center.

Thanks again,

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 14:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

I just watched Don Steger replace a starter on Saturday. I wasn't paying
very close attention, but I noticed that he took the oil filter off,
probably to make a little more room.

-Christian

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 22:03:16 -0000
From: "Jeff" <dreammotorcar_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: They're not in Kansas anymore

Any D owners in Kansas? I have yet to get one but I have noticed the
whole time I have been here I haven't seen one. Apparently #1198 is
over at DMC Houston and is from KS. Well just seeing who is around
here.

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 22:38:40 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Torque From Displacement

Regarding your last sentence: We've got a saying down South --
"There's no replacement for displacement."

The single best way to get Torque out of your gasoline engine is to
increase cylinder sizes. My 460's have more power *AT IDLE* (500 RPM)
than some small engines have at speed. Max Torque is pumped out
somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-2,500 RPM. They've never seen 4,000
RPM even with a telescope. That's one secret to their longevity --
high rev'ing is very hard on an engine. So too is force feeding it air.

Note that my 5,000 lbs Lincolns can not only propel themselves 0-60
MPH in less than 9 seconds, but they have enough Torque to spare to
pull an additional 5,000 lbs behind (Class III). A trailer does cut
into acceleration somewhat...

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 22:50:29 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: RPM Shifting a Renault Transmission

The current HP/Torque thread started because our Renault transmissions
were reported "absolutely indestructible". Now you're saying we can't
slam shift the silly thing? Doesn't sound very sturdy to me...

They are inordinately heavy if that accounts for anything.

(My feelings on the strength of a 20-whatever spline clutch disc are
already documented).

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 23:31:58 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: AC Service

There isn't one. You need to use gauges.

Dave

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 23:35:54 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problems

I learned that technique as "Power Shifting". I would not recomend
that on a Delorean, the trans is near it's power handling capabilities
and a missed shift will most certainly damage it. I agree that you
"could" start the car in 1st gear and drive it home slowly, anything
more than that you you are really taking a big chance. If you had to
make a panic stop how would you stop? Mike Paine recently had exactly
this happen to him on the NY Thruway and was able to limp home in 1st.
Not very far, took a long time. You could find yourself in a similar
situation if your pivot bolt breaks but that can happen in any gear.
At least you would still have clutch! I agree that every owner should
know what power shifting is, but practice on something else! When you
have a breakdown or other emergency it is no time to learn these
techniques! These things always seem to happen at night in the rain
too! When you have your "good" clothes on and someone you want to
impress in the car!

> ( moderator's note: The suggestion here to start the car in gear
without the clutch is a technique that is potentialy dangreous and
isn't condoned or recommended as an alternative to a flatbed or tow

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 01:33:37 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Your question suggests that maybe you should consider a service
center to do the system check for you.

The D does not have a sight-glass. The D has a CCOTT (cycling clutch
orifice tube type) system which means that a sight glass is of no
real value. Gauges are the main diagnostic tool. R-12 is not readily
available to non-professionals, it is very expensive if you can
still find it, can be dangerous, and it requires some special gear
to handle properly.

Harold McElraft - 3354