From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1998
Date: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 11:41 AM

1. Calverton, New York Air Show
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

2. Parking Brakes
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Parking Brakes
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

4. RE: Parking Brakes
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Interesting idling stuff
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

6. RE: Starter replacement
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. Venturing for some thoughts...
From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Closing your doors from the outside
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. * Update - May Delorean Tech Session - Western PA - Pittsburgh RSVP *
From: "dplakosh2" <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Good method of bleeding the Clutch?
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Stainless Throttle Plate
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Power window trim... the fuzzy caterpillar
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Parking Brakes
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Parking Brakes
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. R12 Availability (was Re: AC Service)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

16. Re: Parking Brakes
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. RE: Power window trim... the fuzzy caterpillar
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

18. Re: R12 Availability (was Re: AC Service)
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. RE: Re: Parking Brakes
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

20. Re: Torque From Displacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. RE: Stainless Throttle Plate
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

22. Re: AC Service
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

23. Re: Venturing for some thoughts...
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

24. Re: Venturing for some thoughts...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

25. RE: Stainless Throttle Plate
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 21:44:43 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Calverton, New York Air Show

If anyone on the list is interested in getting together at the New York Air
Show featuring the Blue Angels on May 29 and 30th at Calverton, please email me.

Thank you,

Dave & 6530

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Parking Brakes

After just completing a complete brake overhaul
including new parking brake pads the parking brakes
are as weak as before. I adjusted as normal but they
are WEAK! Any suggestions? If this situation is normal
I am surprised there isn't a pile of wrecked Jaguars
at the bottom of a big hill somewhere!!
Thanks
Steve T

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 04:28:00 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Parking Brakes

I have the same problem. Any other car-I can be going 55, pull the
E-brake 2 or 3 clicks and the car will slow down dramatically. In the
D, it doesn't slow at all...-And parked, I have to pull it all the way
up to make sure it is holding the car, realy tough to pull it up too I
have to yank the hell out of it. Also doesn't disengage all the way.
New cables, still a problem. I don't get it. Vin #5003, Dan Benedek

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 00:32:26 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Complete brake overhaul meaning, taking the pistons out and cleaning the
cylinders and new pistons if necessary, new master cylinder, and new SS
brake lines. Note what my site say's under the brake booster.

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:15:17 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Interesting idling stuff

Is the idle speed motor buzzing ?
Does it move in both directions ?
Do you have a bad connector or wiring harness ?

This would cause the problem you describe. The idle motor can turn
only in one direction, opens up completely and stays open -> max idle !

> Ok everyone - I have a question.  I have eliminated
> the idle control motor due to my problem I'm going to
> describe here.  With my idle control motor
> disconnected, the car idles at 900 rpm beautifully
> (the ecu is hooked up).  If I hook up the idle control
> motor (keep in mind the ecu has been hooked up the
> whole time), my rpms jump from 900 to almost 2500
> rpms.  I acquired a spare idle control motor and tried
> that one (one off another owner's car that I KNEW
> worked), and my car jumped in rpms again.  So then I
> obtained a spare idle speed ecu that I knew worked -
> hooked it up - my car's idle jumped again.  So I've
> tested both new ecu's and motor's with no success.  We
> have rebuilt the whole engine from the block up, so I
> know all vacuum hoses are intact, all O-rings are new
> and replaced, the intake manifold is on propery.
...cut...

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 00:41:59 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Starter replacement

Nick, There is no direct or indirect replacement for the starter motor. A
rebuilt is as good as a new one and I along with other vendors keep them in
stock.
We do give a 5 year warranty.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/starters.html

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 08:11:30 -0000
From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Venturing for some thoughts...

Hi everyone.
            When I buy my DMC sometime in the near future, I want to
put a different engine in.  Either a Ford 1.8 or 1.9 L four cylinder
engine, much like what I have in my 93 Escort.  I just don't trust
the PRV engine, and want something reliable like the 1.9.  I am
wondering if anyone has done something similar to this, knows the
approximate cost, how difficult it would be including the
bellhousing, engine mounts, etc.  Please respond to this message via
my e mail addy.

                            Thanks,

                        George DeLorean

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 08:18:18 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Closing your doors from the outside

Sticking my right arm in my shirt making me look like I am missing
an arm, then closing it with my cloth covered hand. In a rush I use
the side of my hand to push down on the rear stainless behind the
window. Easier when wearing long sleeves cause then I just tuck my
hand in the shirt to close.

Joe 2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 12:21:09 -0000
From: "dplakosh2" <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: * Update - May Delorean Tech Session - Western PA - Pittsburgh RSVP *

Greetings,

It looks like Saturday May 8, 2004  is going to be a nice day for the
Western PA - Tech Session.  If you are planning on attending and have
not e-mailed us yet, please do so we can plan appropriately.  Based
on the responses received we should have a good turn out.  If you
need directions or would like to attend, please let us know and I
will send you a local map and our address and phone number.

Dan and Judy
(Vin 3872)

Original Announcement Below.

Greetings,

Previous Tech Sessions in this area were held by my friend Dom Diaz
and his wife Melissa. This year my wife and I have decided to take a
turn and will be hosting a Tech Session in Pittsburgh on May 8, 2004
starting at 9:00 AM until dusk. This is an excellent to opportunity
to socialize with other D owners and to get your car ready for this
summer or for Pigeon Forge.

We have already talked with Dave Stragand and Dom Diaz, and they have
said they will be able to make it. We're easy to find just off the
route 60 Hopewell exit about 7 min. from the Pittsburgh Airport. We
have a 2 stall garage, loads of tools, great techies (Hi, Dave), a
large driveway, and use of the neighbors driveway as well. We hope to
see all the great people we've met at the last tech sessions and
hopefully a few new faces too! If your car is not ready to drive then
just come and visit, we'd love to see you! We even have some room for
anyone that wants to travel a bit and might want to spend the night.

We'll start off at 9a.m. (Coffee and pastries to open your eyes :-).
Snacks along with beverages (including beer) during the day. Around
noon we'll have a cookout for lunch and dinner cookout around 5pm,
lets see.... food, friends, tools, have I forgotten anything? Oh
yeah, the hot tub will be open if you need to relax after your tech
session. Please e-mail me off-list to confirm your attendance, and
perhaps any work you'd like some help with, and let me know if you
need directions. Significant others are welcome, and encouraged..
Hope to see you there!

If we need to make a rain date I will do so the week the Tech Session.

Best regards,

Dan and Judy
(Vin 3872)

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 08:13:07 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Good method of bleeding the Clutch?

I will be replacing the clutch master cylinder on one of my cars,
main question is that after the new one is installed, what would be
the proper way to bleed it out to have it work properly again. If
anyone has a little write up on this procedure I would be most
greatful. I will be doing this with a partner, so I will be able to
have someone help me bleed it out, just what is the best way to
reach back there to bleed it I guess I am trying to ask. Any hints,
tips, etc. would be great.

Also I  must say I am replacing it with one of PJ Grady's HCR clutch
master cylinders, very nice piece of equipment, and I recommend it
to anyone needing this part.

Thanks again for the help,

Joe

2524 & 16634

Now on my 3rd Yahoo account in 8 months now to mysterious
cancellations of all my accounts? Stumped on that one.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:58:09 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless Throttle Plate

Have you actually got this site to work? Or anyone for that matter?
Their contact page does not work, but I would love to order a few
things they have. Has anyone ordered from them succesfully? Please
respond back if you have recently.

Thanks,

Joe

2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 09:49:40 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Power window trim... the fuzzy caterpillar

In a message dated 5/4/2004 2:34:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, deloreanernst writes:

> They were OEM- including the glue. Maybe they're either
> finally gone or
> yanked off the market because the glue was shot.  James....?
> -Wayne
> 11174

Actually that's the OUTER glass seal - the wipe piece.  i think the original poster was talking about the fuzzy strip that slips over the long black bracket that runs along the top of the upper door, which the upper door trim attaches to.

the outer strip with the crappy glue is easily installed with other adhesives, such as 3M's black weatherstripping adhesive.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 14:19:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If after replacing worn parts and adjusting everything and you don't
have a nice, tight parking brake then you may have a bad cable. The
cables should move freely so if they don't, try lubricating them. If
that doesn't help you may have to replace the tight ones. A properly
adjusted and working parking brake on a Delorean holds reasonably well.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 09:53:42 -0400
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 5/4/2004 10:06:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> After just completing a complete brake overhaul
> including new parking brake pads the parking brakes
> are as weak as before. I adjusted as normal but they
> are WEAK! Any suggestions? If this situation is normal
> I am surprised there isn't a pile of wrecked Jaguars
> at the bottom of a big hill somewhere!!
> Thanks
> Steve T

Steve,

are you sure BOTH cables are adjusted properly?  maybe only one cable is getting tight.  something is wrong because my parking brake works perfectly even on a 35 deg or so incline (i put it in reverse too, just in case)

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:56:40 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: R12 Availability (was Re: AC Service)

Not sure about back east where Harold lives (and California where everything
seems to be deemed environmentally unsafe), but here in Texas, R12 prices
have been stedily dropping back to early 1990 levels. The word that I have
received from our supplier is that as all the new cars are now running R134,
and so many people were frightened into, or otherwise convinced that they
needed to convert to R134, demand for R12 has dropped so much that prices
are now considered "normal" again. Of course, if you have a leak in your
system, it is against the law to refill it with R12. However, at least here
in Texas (and when I was in AZ) a properly functioning R12 system in a
DeLorean will outperform a DeLorean converted to run on R134.

James

Harold wrote:

The D does not have a sight-glass. The D has a CCOTT (cycling clutch
orifice tube type) system which means that a sight glass is of no
real value. Gauges are the main diagnostic tool. R-12 is not readily
available to non-professionals, it is very expensive if you can
still find it, can be dangerous, and it requires some special gear
to handle properly.
---

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 14:22:54 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

There are actually two places on each caliper at which the parking
brake cable can be adjusted: the usual slotted adjusting screw, and
the turnbuckle where the cable passes through its sheath holding
bracket. If you can't pull enough slack out of the cable with the
adjusting screw, loosen that turnbuckle and move it further from the
caliper. BTW: Those nuts seem to be another instance of English
fasteners on our little metric cars -- 14mm fits too snugly but 9/16"
is perfect.

You're not forgetting to release the parking brake before driving the
car, are you? That will stretch a cable very quickly.

I haven't investigated the lever mechanism itself yet -- does anybody
know if slack can be taken up there as well, perhaps like a
traditional parking brake cable yoke?

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:36:58 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

Correct. The inside seal tore away. DMCH has lots in stock, although they
are not listed on their site.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 15:38:50 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: R12 Availability (was Re: AC Service)

What's really wierd is that over here in Europe, there are "R12 drop-in
replacements" like RS24, and R413 which are ozone-fiendly and designed
to mix with R12, if still present in a system. R12 usage is so illegal
that it carries a 3000 fine if you're found out. I believe the drop-ins
are illegal in the US

Martin

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:38:56 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Parking Brakes

No. But I did devise a way to take up slack at the lever. Using a series of
slotted washers, I was able to take up excess slack. I think Mike Cohee used
this same technique with some success as well.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 14:37:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Torque From Displacement

I agree with "No replacement for displacement". Another old
hot-rodder's trick which adds a lot of torque is to add a "stroker"
crank. By effectively lenghtening the "arm" you gain more mechanical
advantage and add a lot of low end torque while increasing the
displacement. Other ways to increase low end torque include a
different cam and/or retarding the cam timing, bringing the ignition
advance in quicker, improving the breathing by porting, polishing,
larger valves. larger exhaust and headers. On an automatic you can
change the stall speed on the torque converter. All of this is moot on
a Delorean because the drivetrain is power-limited by the
transmission. As I mentioned in past posts we had Fred Dellis of
Legend Industries speak at a dinner and he said they could get all the
power they needed out of a modified PRV, their problem was the
transmission. Future plans were to find another supplier for the
transmissions. Besides the limitations of the Renault transmissions
they found it very hard to deal with the French. BTW it isn't the high
revs, it is the feet per second of the pistons. At higher revolutions
the piston FPS speeds start to get ridiculous. You don't get any
longevity. This is what happens in 2 strokes. You have incredible
speeds to get the power but limited life. BTW 2 stokes don't have
valve springs so they don't have problems with spring pressures and
valve float. At such high speeds you have a hard time getting complete
combustion so meeting air quality standards is impossible. Electric
motors have a very flat torque curve. This is what makes them
attractive in hybrids and electric vehicles.

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:54:29 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I ordered and paid to this company but never received the merchandise.
Then I had to fight to get my money back.

Jack.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 14:59:23 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: AC Service

Yep, you're right Harold.  To date, I've performed all other repairs
myself, but I know when to say uncle.  That's why I post here before
I make any mistakes and start wrenching into my car.

I'm taking my D in this week to get the AC fixed by someone who has
the proper tools and experience.  No worries.

Johnny
5518

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 15:57:25 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Venturing for some thoughts...

I'm curious as to why you don't trust the PRV.  It seems
to me that the PRV would be more desireable than a one-off
conversion to another engine.  There is a lot of experience
in the DeLorean community with the PRV and the way it is
installed in the car.  If you make the conversion you
are pretty much on your own with respect to support, and
the car will become virtually unsellable.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 11:28:59 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Geez George,

With a namesake like yours I'd hope that you would have a little more
faith in John's choice of an engine! (haha)

Actually the PRV is one of THE MOST reliable aspects of the car.  In my
5 years of owning and caring for two Deloreans, and little more than a
year of helping Ken with his dozen or so, we've never had a single issue
with any of the engines themselves.  Even the engine from the parts car,
that sat outside in the elements for 6+ years, we took out, cleaned up
and replaced the seals, and when we put it back in, the thing cranked
right over.

I've got 167,000 miles on my Delorean, my Dad has 115,000.  Ed Bernstein
of DeLorean One, (the guy everyone loves and gets along with) has
something like 267,000 miles on his.  The engine is known for it's
reliability...maybe not it's power, but definitely it's reliability!

Take care,
Josh
VIN 11289 (parts)
VIN 10236 (parts)

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:25:24 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

It has actually been about 4 years since I purchased anything from them.
Too bad if there are no longer providing some of the items that they
once had, or are no longer providing good customer service.

Michael