From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2003
Date: Friday, May 07, 2004 10:42 PM

From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

From: "dukeofclassiccars" <tswatch_at_dml_mail.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: Thomas Mc Auley <mcauleydmc_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "Jeff" <dreammotorcar_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: bosch coil part number
From: "Chuck Kay" <chuckkay_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Venturing for some thoughts...

Hey guys,
   You see it's stuff like that (i.e. shops not
wanting to work on it, expensive service, etc.) that
make me want to put a different more available engine
in my D like the 1.9.  Again with turbos, performance
parts, and so on.  I am not a backyard mechanic, (all
though I will be starting on my A.S.E. certification
this fall), and the money that I put in for conversion
will be more up front, and less later in expensive
service, etc.  It is possible to do it.  I doubt we've
come so little in automotive technology to do it. :)

   Plus, I will obviously have it professionally done.
 I'm thinking about the shop on TLC's "Rides" program.
 Just wish I could remember their name! :P  A tricked
out 1.9 L Ford can get as much power if not more than
the PRV.  I guess that my big thing is that if I get
the PRV with no shop willing/available to work on it,
despite my having the DMC shop manual, then when it
comes to the engine, I'm f---ed.  Plus, I live in Salt
Lake City, and there aren't exactly a lot of, shall we
say, people who know about the PRV.  Just stuff like
that.  I'll shut up now. :P

                      Signed,

                   George DeLorean

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 20:11:58 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Re: What are these things?

Thanks to all who replied! FYI, the vaccumn line on the right was part
of the heater valve controls. Might explain why my heater wasn't
working right. It's reconnected now and I'll try the heater later tonight.

Thanks again,

-Ryan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> ( Moderator's note: There were several responses to these questions,
all saying the same thing. Rather that fill mailboxes with almost
identical posts I just passed on the first couple to come into the
queue. )

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 20:12:17 -0000
From: "dukeofclassiccars" <tswatch_at_dml_mail.com>
Subject: Re: Estimate

Hi Jeff,

Funny you should ask about this.  I just purchased my first DeLorean
less than 4 months ago and I am also in college.  However, in my
case, I've been saving since I was 16.  If you wait for some time,
you can find a DeLorean that needs work, but still in resonible shape
for around $5,000 (I wish not to say what I purchased mine for).  Of
course, you might have to be willing to travel a good distance to
find one.  As it goes for the question, "If it is worth it or not" to
fix up a "D", well... whether you buy one for $20,000 or one for
$5,000, I gaurantee you that it will need parts.  These cars will
drain your savings account.  You will be picking up those pennies you
see on the sidewalks.

I've been working on mine for the past 4 months and have spent almost
twice what I spent on the car originally.  But, I did my research and
I knew what I was getting into; and enjoyed every minute of it.  The
car is still not ready, but I have hopes to get her onto the road
shortly.  I have one more minor idling problem to fix, which seems to
be common on these cars.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a "D", what kind of
price you have in mind, or where you are located?  I would be more
than happy to help; and if I know DeLorean owners, I'm sure that
there are some in your area that might help you locate what you are
looking for.

~Dan

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:17:57 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

If you really want to do an engine swap forget about the low powered
1.9 Ford engine, yes i like Fords but a 1.9 is a turd.

Go with the 4.3 Chevrolet Vortec engine, lots of HP and lots of
upgrades and more dependable than the 1.9. Plus there is a Bellhousing
that you can buy that bolts to the 4.3 and stock Delorean tranny. here
is a link to the 4,3 swap but it is down at the moment and the owner
needs to reactivate it...
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Highway/7448/master.html

Mark V

On Friday, May 7, 2004, at 03:09  PM, George DeLorean wrote:

> Hey guys,
>    You see it's stuff like that (i.e. shops not
> wanting to work on it, expensive service, etc.) that
> make me want to put a different more available engine
> in my D like the 1.9.  Again with turbos, performance
> parts, and so on.  I am not a backyard mechanic, (all
> though I will be starting on my A.S.E. certification
> this fall), and the money that I put in for conversion
> will be more up front, and less later in expensive
> service, etc.  It is possible to do it.  I doubt we've
> come so little in automotive technology to do it. :)
>
>    Plus, I will obviously have it professionally done.
>  I'm thinking about the shop on TLC's "Rides" program.
>  Just wish I could remember their name! :P  A tricked
> out 1.9 L Ford can get as much power if not more than
> the PRV.  I guess that my big thing is that if I get
> the PRV with no shop willing/available to work on it,
> despite my having the DMC shop manual, then when it
> comes to the engine, I'm f---ed.  Plus, I live in Salt
> Lake City, and there aren't exactly a lot of, shall we
> say, people who know about the PRV.  Just stuff like
> that.  I'll shut up now. :P
>
>                       Signed,
>
>                    George DeLorean

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 21:35:26 +0100 (BST)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <mcauleydmc_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Hi Grady. I am 16 and just bought my own De Lorean for $7,600. We had a mechanic to view it for us (its in Texas, and I'm in Ireland) and I know it will cost a few thousand restoring it and lots of time, but I absolutely cannot wait to start working on it and watching it get better and back to the way it used to be. I plan on doing most of the work myself too, all with the help of the owners manual.
As I am young I do have spare time to devote to it, and I have a job with enough money for repair costs. So, if you can, I say go for it. I know I'll never make the money back that I spend on it but I'll be living the dream!
Thomas and VIN 4087
Northern Ireland
mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net wrote:
This is really an impossible question to answer without
more information. What can you do as far as car maintenance
goes? Body work? Mechanical? Electrical? What kind of
tools do you have access to? Where will you work
on it? How often will you be able to work on it? What
is your end target - a running car? A nice car? A
concours winner? What is your personal history with
completing big projects? Do you get halfway and quit?
Do you see things through to the end? How long are you
or those around you willing to put up with a big, non-running
money pit? The way you answer these questions will give you
an idea of how distressed a car you can handle and what
the price difference is between what you want to start with and
what you want to end up with.

Personally, until you have your own house with an extra two car
garage and about $500 a month of truly disposable income to
devote to a project car, you are better off not starting
something like this. What starts out as a neat idea turns
into a nightmare if you don't have a good place to store the
car and all of the parts you are going to need to take off or
buy, a budget to apply to the restoration, and a plan to know
when you are done. It's really bad if you have to keep
moving the project from place to place. And it's excruciating
if your fiance starts to get annoyed with the whole thing.

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 21:06:41 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Vortec Conversion

I've uploaded a pic of the Vortec to Renault bellhousing to #5939's
photo album. Have also uploaded a pic of the carb on this particular
installation (Edelbrock's 4 barrel is just an ancient square bore
Carter design, now manufactured by Weber. Edelbrock's name is a
sticker on the front, Weber's name is cast into the side). Note the
A/C solenoid, Edelbrock intake manifold, and lack of vacuum spark
advance (those are the ported/unported nipples on either side of the
PCV hose).

Regarding Ford's 1.9 -- properly cared for it is an unbelievably
reliable engine. My ex-wife left with 250,000 miles on her odometer
(never went any deeper than the valve cover!), then of course promptly
sold the car. No power of course, but incredibly smooth running and
easy to maintain.

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 21:20:14 -0000
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Fascia color

List,

I am currently hard at work creating a custom Sunstar DeLorean, and need to repaint my
fascias, which are all scratched up. Does anyone know of a decent (doesn't have to be
exact) match that is available in a modeling color (testors, model master, pollyscale, etc)?
I've been to the DMCNews tech page, but the information on repainting the fascia there
doesn't really help me. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Alternately, if anyone already has the real paint, and is willing to spare a bit (I'd need less
than half an ounce), I'd be willing to pay for it.

Thanks in advance.

-Dave Jong

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:08:06 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

I just love everyone's opinion on this.  I have restored 12 D's so far.
I can't thank the vendors enough for their advice and keeping parts
available.  Since I am on the East Coast, special thanks to Rob Grady
for all of his help.

Each car is so very different.  I have purchased cars for $5,000, put
$2,000 into it and it was like new.  On the other hand I have purchased
cars for $5,000 and found out that it was a parts car because of the
frame and a seized engine.

Do your homework and there are some very good deals.  Just pay what you
can afford with enough in the bank that you don't get frustrated at the
ongoing costs.  Learn to do the work yourself as that is part of the
enjoyment that most of us get from the car.

Just my 2 cents.

Jack.
Always looking for a project car!

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 21:34:38 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Special tools

Stubby wrenches. Have used them at least on the bolts that hold upper
muffler bracket, driver side nuts on the exhaust crossover pipe,
clutch line union above the transmission (correct me if I'm wrong, but
aren't those flare fittings 5/8"), if not elsewhere. Also used them to
turn back my transmission when it was frozen to the clutch disc.

Cheater pipe for your socket wrench. Mine has become oblong shaped so
it hugs the handle and stays put until I pull it off.

PENETRATING OIL (not WD-40).

Dremel moto tool and flex extension.

Extra long (9" - 12") socket extensions.

BTW: you can check for #1 TDC with a normal length screwdriver
inserted through an access port near the front of the engine, resting
on a counterweight.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> The comment about needing "special tools" for the PRV got me thinking.
> There are some special tools the Renault produced (eg those for holding
> up the cam sprockets when takina a head off), but there're definitely
> some tools in my toolbox that live to do one job and one job only on a
> DeLorean. Not necessarily unusual, but ones I've made an effort to buy
> that aren't necessarily part of a standard cheap (metric) toolkit. Dave
> Swingle's clutch bleeding tool is a great idea, and I'm going to make
> one, but meanwhile I thought it'd be fun to hear from other people on
> what they've bought to do some tasks on their DeLoreans. I'll start
with

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:54:37 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

It's very difficult to say because there are so many cars for sale at
various states of disrepair.  I bought mine when I was 18 for $12,500.  It
ran quite well but needed new brake system, tune up, clutch hydraulics, AC
compressor, and various other things to keep it working.  It still needs
more work and I don't think I'll ever be "done" improving it.  I don't care
about the value or getting my money back, this car is for my own enjoyment.
As long as you don't mind slowly fixing things as you go, I'd say go for it.
Try to find one with at least a decently running engine, even if it has
higher mileage.  Some of the cheap "dead" DeLoreans will likely put you in
over your head.  I want a new owner to enjoy their DeLorean experience.

Payne
> Hey All. I am a college student that wants to work on and own a D.
> That means I have very little money to spend on one. I really dont
> care if it runs when I get it. What would be a reasonable price for
> an '81 black/manual D?(And no I am not asking you guys charging 28
> grand for yours) I know everyone says it isn't worth it to fix it up
> and it is better to just buy a nicer one with more money but working
> on it is what I really want, not to just drive it around(I already
> have a fiance)
>
> Thanks!
>     Grady

---

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 22:55:04 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

This could become a very interesting thread. I am assuming we are
talking about tools that are only used on a Delorean. I made a
steering wheel puller, I have the drain adapter, I made up the rig for
the torsion bar adjustments, I bought out a dealer's inventory and got
all the special tools, I have watched Rob Grady fix doors, he uses a
short piece of metal cable to hold the door down while he sits on the
sill that I copied. I made up a wiring harness for a dwell meter to
use on the Lambda system. In general I only make special tools when I
can't find or adapt a regular tool for the job. I had a flapwheel but
I sold it. I don't have a clutch aligning tool yet.

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 23:08:50 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Let's see your audio installs!

I like decent sound in my car, and the DeLorean is no exception. It
is, however, proving quite the challenge to install a solid audio
system with decent power without completely taking up the space behind
my seats. The tiny little speakers just aren't cutting it for me.

Anyone care to share their aftermarket audio installs?

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 23:38:21 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Tools I mostly only need for the DeLorean.

--Metric Riv-nut tool (John Hervey)
--Clutch Alignment tool (former input shaft). I have a couple now.
--Ratcheting wrenches are worth their weight in gold.
--Aforementioned clutch bleeder tool.
--Pins for aligning the transmission (screws with heads cut off)
--Engine Hoist ;-)
--55 gallon drum with wheels and floor jack (aka transmission jack)
--Brake pressure bleeder made from a garden sprayer
 http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm
   This actually fits many euro cars that use Girling brake masters.
Imagine my surprise when I first looked at the brake master on my BMW
and it looked almost the same as the DMC....
--Coolant flushing setup - garden hose adapters and stuff
--oil drain and trans drain sockets
--door adjustment rig consisting of 5 of pipe, a braker bar, a couple of extension bars, a wooden support thingm and a 1/2 drive 3/8 allen bit.

There are probably more that I'll think of later.

Dave Swingle

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 01:08:13 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Special tools

David Teitelbaum wrote:
> This could become a very interesting thread. I am assuming we are
> talking about tools that are only used on a Delorean.

Not specifically - just tools that perhaps you have only one of, rather
than a set, because you don't need the other sizes. My 10mm drain plug
tool was bought on its own - it's a Teng one that fits between the drain
plug and the chassis, and has a hole for a bar to be inserted - good
example - a lot of drain plug tools can't be used on the D because of
how close it is to the chassis. It'd be interesting to see how others
approach idiosyncratic jobs like this.

I like your other examples too. One I passed on once was a genuine
Renault torque wrench kit for doing spark plugs up on a PRV!

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 00:30:55 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Let's see your audio installs!

Lets start with these...

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/invisibleaudio.htm

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/audio_kayo.html

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/285556/2

Dave S

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 03:01:32 -0000
From: "Jeff" <dreammotorcar_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You guys are so great for information! Being a college student I am
obsessed with research! I am putting all the cars for sale online
into an excel document. That way I can compare mileage-condition-
cost. When I am done and it is up to date I will let everyone know
in case they want to see what D's are going for right now. I have
just about memorized the parts manual so I can't wait to get a
workshop manual. That should keep me busy for a while. About the
estimate, I guess I didn't specify enough on what I was looking for.
Mainly what I would be worried about is a straight frame, undamaged
fiber glass body, and restorable engine and stainless. You are all
right about going for "as cheap as possible" It really isnt the best
way to go when you don't have the funds to be constantly dumping
money into. I thank you all again for your Delorean wisdom. I am a
most gracious grasshopper!

Grady

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 22:56:11 -0400
From: "Chuck Kay" <chuckkay_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: bosch coil part number

Jordan,
	Go to the Bosch website using the link here.  It says the part nunber for
the DeLorean coil is 00027.
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/PartFinder/partfinder.asp

				Chuck 10610 (Kramer's DeLorean)