From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2009
Date: Monday, May 10, 2004 5:35 PM

1. Re: Delorean Brakes
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

2. Re: Cooling Fan Fail questions, thanks.
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

3. Automatic Transmission Governor Upgrades...
From: "gzapf" <gzapf_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: glove box bulb?
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

5. Re: Automatic Transmission Governor Upgrades...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: FanZilla ... Cooling Fan Fail Question
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:52:30 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Brakes

If I were you Paul, at the very least, I would buy the workshop
manual.  The brakes are vaccum assitisted.  The manual will explain
many of your questions.  You can also start at the beginning of this
forum and learn more than you thought possible.  (That's what I did
before I bought mine).

Johnny
5518

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:49:28 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Cooling Fan Fail questions, thanks.

On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:45:23 -0000, Dale Funk wrote:

> I have the fan fail module from John Hervey in my car.
> Recently I have noticed that when my cooling fans kick on,
> the Fan Fail light also turns on.  When I looked this up,
> the indication was that my fans are not working properly
> if that light turns on.

Where dit you look that up? In the cars' manual
or the manual that came with Johns setup?

ORIGINALLY the FanFail light was designed to come on when
one of the fans would draw more power than the other.
I believe that with John's SetUp it's wired to light
when the fans (should) run.

With FanZilla (from another vendor) the FanFail will light
as it was designed to do... On my car I've got a FanZilla
thet will light the Fan Fail upon failure and I built a
small monitor for the fans and signals from the Fuel Pump,
Otterstat and A/C (and Alarm-LED)...
<http://members.home.nl/delorean/monitor/Cooling.JPG>

But I agree with what was mentioned earlier:
contact John Hervey for more detailed info.

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:20:59 -0000
From: "gzapf" <gzapf_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Automatic Transmission Governor Upgrades...

Besides the repairs of replacing capacitors, and adding some caps for
stability to the boards, has anyone done any other upgrades to their
automatic transmission governors?

I've seen a few photos of LEDs mounted in the clock area or in dummy
buttons to indicate shifts... does anyone have details on this or
other mods?  Has anyone replaced the computer entirely with something new?

Thanks,
--Greg

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:25:56 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: glove box bulb?

Most of the bulbs cross to bulbs that go into from pinball machines. They're
cheap and very easy to come by.

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:44:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Governor Upgrades...

Besides replacing the caps and adding some filter caps, you can
resolder the connections, add heat sinks to the cover, remote mount
the innards, and add the lights so you know what gear the shift
computer is commanding the transmission to. That is the sum of all of
the "mods" that I know of. I do know that Mr Zilla is working on a
Transzilla but I have no idea when it will be available (if ever) due
to the limited demand. It will possibly be a PLC and it will have
several (3?) different modes like economy, cruise, and sport. Switch
selectable by the driver maybe with a display. You will have to wait
and see. In the meantime the OEM unit is repairable and there is
sufficient NOS stock. I could fax you the info on the light box and
the heat sinks. I don't have the added filter caps or surge
suppresors, I try not to let the battery go dead. Moisture seems to
upset it so sealing it well with silicone or remoting it helps.

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:47:09 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: FanZilla ... Cooling Fan Fail Question

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:13:17 +0200, Stian Birkeland wrote:

> I connected the battery to the car again after storage.
> The "Cooling Fan Fail" lit up instantly without the key in the ignition!

Did the fans come on? What happens if you remove the fuses?

> I have the FanZilla installed, everything looks fine there -
> both fuses are ok, but when I pull the plug from the relay
> socket the Cooling Fan Fail light goes out.

I'm guessing the otterstat is sticking closed and there's no
power to or from the Circuitbreaker that feeds the fans.

But it would be best to contact Bob Zilla; it's his product,
he would know best what could be happening...