From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2022
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 2:34 PM

1. Re: Re: quick question
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

2. Re: EFI conversion Vin 6147 Pictures
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

4. Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

5. Re: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

6. Re: New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.
From: "chris_delorean" <88mph_at_dml_delorean.com>

7. VibRatIOn!
From: "Raine Moreno" <rmoreno_at_dml_sw.rr.com>

8. Re: Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. Re: Gas Prices - Europe?
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

10. EFI conversion
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

11. another alignment question..
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

13. Re: Addition to DeLorean Car Show
From: "Paul" <pgmlambert_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>

15. RE: VibRatIOn!
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

16. Re: VibRatIOn!
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

17. Re: VibRatIOn!
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

18. Re: Gas Prices - Europe?
From: Andy Verbrugghe <andy_verbrugghe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. RE: VibRatIOn!
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>

20. Re: VibRatIOn!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Carbon Fiber Fasia
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>

22. D sighting on Adult Swim
From: "mlick27" <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: another alignment question..
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Carbon Fiber Fasia
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:19:41 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Re: quick question

David Teitelbaum vin 10757 wrote:

> If you are spewing (dumping) coolant it could be that you are
> overfilling the header bottle.

Apparently that was the case, compounded by the other problems.

> you could have a bad otterstadt switch

I suspect that as well.

> You can always turn on
> the A/C

Ah! That's one more problem that needs attention on the vehicle --
A/C doesn't work.

Thanks for reinforcing that I'm on the right track.  I'm having the car
worked on this week, so hopefully I'll be a Delorean driver soon and
not just a Delorean owner ;)

.........................LP

Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:32:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: EFI conversion Vin 6147 Pictures

Cant say I am in the market to buy another DeLorean,
but would love to see this car in person.  I always
agreed that EFI is the way to go for anyone with major
fuel system problems, or looking for a nice "upgrade"
to the PRV.

BTW, I see you have some odd looking coolant bottle.
Where did you get this from?

Marc

<SNIP>

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:43:57 -0700
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Re: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?

Hello Jeff:

What Rose Garden are you speaking of and what ebay campus?

Roland Smith
VIN 6667
Oakland, California
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 02:59:31 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?

I am reading all these posts on the door lock modules and etc, and I
am thinking to myself... My car has all the original locking
components-solenoids, relays, etc, and they still work flawlessly to
this day. I've been driving it for years now, if I hit a major bump or
hole sometimes it will trigger the lock but other then that, just
fine. BUT, does this mean that I am at risk for a failure soon? Is
there anything I can check out to see if its "on its way out"? I would
hate to start having problems with the locking components-perhaps I
can do some things now that will prevent problems in the future.
Really wish this thing could travel through time! Dan Benedek VIN5003

Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:38:56 -0700
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

Hello Sean:

I am in the Bay Area.  Also, I am a member of Northern California DeLorean
Motor Club (NCDMC).

The NCDMC is a growing group and some events are planned.  Let me know if
you wish the information on how to join.

Roland Smith
VIN 6667
Oakland, California

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 06:20:38 -0000
From: "chris_delorean" <88mph_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.

Sorry, for the Mr. Fusion, I can not do miracle... Call God about
it...

To improve fuel economy, the only way is to convert the engine fuel
injection system from CIS to EFI. The first solution is a bolt on one
but you can get better results with an EFI system with a programmable
ECU tuned by a mechanic with a strong skill in EFI.

I think that it won't be a bad thing if we could increase the
DeLorean fuel tank capacity to avoid having to stop at the gas
station every 4-500 kilometers.

Chris.
#04271.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 01:26:31 -0500
From: "Raine Moreno" <rmoreno_at_dml_sw.rr.com>
Subject: VibRatIOn!

DAmdit...i have had muh D for about a year now...and when i first got it it drove just fine..all the way home from Tulsa, OK. (6 hour drive) drove perfectly at cruising speeds up to 88Mph (no pun intended  =P )  Anyhow...After a few months of everyday driving and upkeep, The front end started vibrating anytime the car approches 50 MPH and continues whenever speed increases and starts to feel less vibration from 70 and UP...but it still vibrrating the steering wheel and rest of the car. I thought..."rotors are warped..or, needs alignment"  ..ok so i did both, same result...i had the front end align by afriend who owns  a brake and alignment shop, so i trust his word. And I myself did the front end brakes and Brand new rotors from dmc houston. but,,,i still get vibration.
Please help me seasoned Vets!
-Raine

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:34:34 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?

Why never lock the doors from the inside, John? It's all the same
linkage and if the latches are all set up properly, you can freely use
the locks inside. I do.

Martin

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:02:27 +0200
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>
Subject: Re: Gas Prices - Europe?

Netherlands, 1,30 Euro's per liter. That's approximately 4,92 dollars
per gallon. (1 gallon = 3.79liter).

Mads

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:05:36 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: EFI conversion

That looks like a nice clean conversion.

What did you use, about how much does it cost and how hard is it to do?

Thank you,

Dave &6530

"Just Say NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"

To see how go to www.tvpedaler.com

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 06:48:36 -0000
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: another alignment question..

Today I learned that if caster is out of adjustment for the front
wheels, les schwab won't adjust rear toe. Does this make sense? The
guy said it was company policy. I don't think adjusting rear toe
would have a negative impact on the front alignment, which are toed
in okay. I tried to convince them to do align it and offered to sign
a waiver and everything. But they still refused to touch it. I wish
they would have told me that the first time I brought my car there..
ugh.

So I am going to make the adjustments myself, and then have les
schwab measure it. They will measure it free of charge, at least
thats cool.

My question is that if 1 shim = 1.1 degree, how do I get the rear
wheels to a result of 0.20-0.28 degrees??

thanks,
adam

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:23:26 -0000
From: dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com

There is a mechanic shop on Folsom Street at about 5th or 6th in San
Francisco, and the receptionist (a French woman) owns a DeLorean, and
parks it outside the shop. This was a few years ago now, not sure if
she is still there.

Are you on the NCDMC mailing list? (Northern California DeLorean
Motor Club).

John Dore, Ireland.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Charlie G" <charlie_az_at_dml_h...> wrote:
>   When I used to live in San Fran, everyday on the way to my
colledge
> I saw a "D" parked in or near the BofA near Market & VanNess.
Maybie

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:54:42 -0000
From: "Paul" <pgmlambert_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Addition to DeLorean Car Show

Hi Ken,

I'm one of the moderators of Stephen Clark's BTTF.com Message
Board.  I'm coming down to Pigeon Forge from Massachusetts and I'll
be there at the show for all three days.

Just wondering if you'll be updating the <a
href="http://www.deloreancarshow.com">website</a> with Bob Gale's
appearance and any other new info you may have.

_ Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Since we are highlighting the BTTF cars at this show we have tried
to get
> people that were active with the movie or associated with it we
have added one
> more guest.
>
> As you know Stephen Clark runs the BTTF website and he will of
course be
> there.
> In addition we have as our special guest Claudia Wells (Jenfier
Parker in

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:52:08 -0000
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)

If you are going to travel through Virginia gas prices are around
$1.70 for regular in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:05:07 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: VibRatIOn!

You may have one of your brake calipers hanging up.

I just overhauled my brakes and my vibration went away.

Scott

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:38:49 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Warped brake rotors cause vibration under braking.  I'm
not surprised it had no effect on your problem.  Have
your front tires been balanced lately?  You may have lost
a wheel weight.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:50:34 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

You didn't mention anything about getting the wheels re-balanced. A out of
balance rear wheel will make the steering wheel shake too. It's not uncommon
to lose a wheel weight in normal driving.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 06:52:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andy Verbrugghe <andy_verbrugghe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I filled my car up last weekend here in Belgium : it came to 1.15 Euro per liter (Eurosuper 95). That's about 4.35 dollar per gallon ...

Regards

Andy Verbrugghe
VIN#04610

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:10:51 -0400
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>

I'm thinking.... Bad/worn tires? If possible, switch out a set and see
what happens..

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:02:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I would have the tires inspected and balanced immediatly. If you
suddenly have a vibration it could mean a bent rim, bad tire, or
missing wheel weights. Alignment has nothing to do with this. If the
rotors were warped it would only affect the brakes and only when you
step on the brake pedal. The first thing you can do is check the tire
pressures. A low tire (with a slow leak) can also cause this.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:23:02 -0000
From: "ronin5030" <yahoo_at_dml_oneskydojo.com>
Subject: Carbon Fiber Fasia

I have been reading the forum for over 3 years and was finally able
to purchase an '83 about a month ago. I have searched the forum as
well as all over the internet but I can find no references to making
a carbon fiber facia. About half of all the front fascias I have seen
are either chipped, peeling, in need of paint or else they are warped
from heat and have those distinctive "eyebrows" above the headlights.

It does not seem it would be that hard. If a facia (front or back)
was used to create a mold than a carbon fiber replacement part could
be made. You could even include a license plate frame or other
mounting points.

Would anyone know if this is possible and how hard of a job it would
be?

Mike Walsh

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:24:31 -0000
From: "mlick27" <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D sighting on Adult Swim

Sunday night on "Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law" which airs during
the Adult Swim portion on Cartoon Network, there was an episode
entitled "Back to the Present" in which a cartoon DeLorean, and a
parody of Doc Brown was seen.  Unfortunately, I missed it so I don't
have any other details than what friends told me.  However, according
to online TV guides, one says that the episode will re-air this
Sunday, May 23rd.  AdultSwim.com confirms this as well (11:30PM
Eastern/Pacific)  TVTome.com says a different episode will air.  It
could be both since they're only 15 minutes each.  Consult your local
listings for details.

More info on this episode:
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-
5484/epid-320961/

-- Marty

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:30:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: another alignment question..

Alignment is not something to learn on. Messing with it without the
proper measuring equipment can cause the car to handle dangerously in
addition to causing excessive wear to the suspension and tires. If the
shop you took the car to won't work on it find another. Find out where
the big shops and the towns send their cars, police cars, ambulances
etc. In every large town there is usually 1 place that everyone goes
to for quality (read not cheap) work. If your castor is off you may
have worn out or bent parts that need to be replaced. The castor can
also be off spec if the car was lowered. BTW each aligmnent adjustment
CAN affect others. For instance if you change height you change toe,
castor, and camber. Do not just throw shims at the rear. If you change
the thrust angle you can make the car very hard to control especially
under acceleration in a turn.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If my math is correct, 4-500 Kilometers is 250 to 300+
miles; or minimally, 3+ hours of driving.  If you've
got a wife or girlfriend traveling with you, you'll
have to stop more frequently than that.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Fasia

Hi Mike,

That carbon fiber is cool stuff; I've seen Ron Wester (of Gullwing magazine and screamin' yellow DeLorean fame) do some nice things with carbon fiber.  But I would be concerned about the loss of fascia functionality.  The stock urethane fascias can take a good hit without showing any sign of damage (fortunately, I *don't* know from experience)...

The stock fascias can be kept nice.  Add some aluminum bars to the underside to permanently fix the eyebrows, and a good paint job will last for years and years if well kept.  A little painting and heating can fix old ones right up.  Just ask Josh and Ken!

Sometimes it's just easier to do things the hard way.  -But if you make any progress, I'd love to see how it turns out.  I'm just not sure it would be practical for a frequently driven car.

Jake Kamphoefner
Racking up miles on 1063