From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2023
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:57 PM

1. RE: VibRatIOn!
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. RE: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. Re: Re: Addition to DeLorean Car Show
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. idle
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

5. RE: Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: VibRatIOn!
From: "Raine Moreno" <rmoreno_at_dml_sw.rr.com>

7. DMC Houston Comedy
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. RE: Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: Carbon Fiber Fasia
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

10. Re: Gas Prices - Europe? / Fuel economy...
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

11. Re: DMC Houston Comedy
From: "chris_delorean" <88mph_at_dml_delorean.com>

12. 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

13. Re: VibRatIOn!
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

14. Re: VibRatIOn!
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

15. Re: Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

16. Re: Re: Original locking module: Correction
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

17. Re: EFI conversion Vin 6147 Pictures
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

18. RE: Vin 6147 EFI conversion
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

19. Re: DMC Houston Comedy
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>

20. Re: Gas Prices
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

21. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

22. mode switch.
From: "Brian Bross" <babross_at_dml_bresnan.net>

23. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: idle
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. gas prices
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:28:42 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: VibRatIOn!

check your rack bushings...

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:22:57 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?

I used to drive mine daily but I was transferred to a new location and the
parking lot is too small and the D's turning radius is too big.

Darkstar

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:16:05 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Addition to DeLorean Car Show

I want to update the web page but it depends if I get time
Most people coming have signed up already anyway.
I  know Stepehen will probably add that to the bttf web page as he has known bob gale will probably be there.

Are you signed up yet

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:52:26 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: idle

hi, my engine runs strong but the idle conditions arent, when the
engine is COLD i starts fine, rev up at 1500rpm for 10secs then drop
to 750rpm (but really rough) but doesnt stall, when the engine is
semi hot-cold (about 1km later) the idle sit about 1200 rpm and when
the engine is hot the idle sit a 950-1000rpm....it is always the
same what bothers me the most is when the engine is cold(rough idle)
maybe the rpm isnt enough precise but one thing is sure : the engine
cold runs too slow

any advice ?

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:28:14 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?

Dan, As I said in an earlier post, the relays are updated normally as
preventative maintenance on the car unless you want to wait till something
fails and the fix it. The problem is, out of sight is out of mind and the
door lock relay's are inside the black module box so the can't be seen. I
can tell you now the contacts are burnt and are due to fail at any time and
if you haven't replaced the Circuit breaker with a lower current then when
the relay's lock up and the current flows and the PC board will burn and
blow the diodes. Just an FYI.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:34:42 -0500
From: "Raine Moreno" <rmoreno_at_dml_sw.rr.com>

Yeah..i was going to head back to the alignment shop when i get some x-tra
cash...but was also wondering could any worn steering parts cause this
vibration? like ite rod ends and such?  I also remember reading about
wheels-on-car alignments...do Deloreans need this specialty alignment
process??  please god no!!

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:26:03 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: DMC Houston Comedy

Hi All

Have a look on DMC Houston's website for part number 18851985

I added one onto my order.

:-)

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:53:33 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Martin,
Your correct, But I have found that by using the inside door lock it will
lock up the system. The inside latch will bind and since were not in a
perfect world and they are not cleaned and oiled they bind. ( the big word
is ( if ), most aren't maintained.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:41:24 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Fasia

There's one very big problem - the fascias have to be flexible in order
for them to be removed/put on. The whole point of making stuff from
carbon is that it's extremely rigid and strong for its weight. Which
brings the second problem: The fascias are meant to be flexible in order
to absorb impacts.

Martin

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:02:37 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Gas Prices - Europe? / Fuel economy...

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:45:07 -0700,
Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can some of our members from the other side of the
> pond report as to what gas prices are doing over there?

In The Netherlands we pay about EUR.1.30 per LITER
(USD 5.86 per Gallon). As I live near the Begian Border
I fill up there, for EUR 0.16 per liter LESS...
That's "Euro 95", which is the lowest octoane you can get here.

Even with my DeLorean running about 9 km per liter (20mpg)
opposed to my Nissan running 30mpg o a good day this has never
stopped me from driving anywhere. Neither business nor fun...

I read somewhere we can expect prices to keep rising into the
summer, as the US army is supposedly stockpiling because of
the "Iraq" situation. But let's keep to the proper subject;

What average fuel consumption do most DeLoreans get?
I think 20mpg for the kind of car, it's weight, engine
and the way I drive it isn't that bad...

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:14:15 -0000
From: "chris_delorean" <88mph_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: DMC Houston Comedy

The part number 19852015 seems also to be nice ;o)

Cheers,

Chris.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:28:13 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean

A few years ago, I drove our former company car five-speed from Houston to
Scottsdale, Arizona. This car had the Stage II engine and I was surprised on
at least two tankfuls to get over 30mpg. A woman client of ours just drove
in from Oregon for a week while we installed the Stage II engine in her car,
and she reported similar results on her way BACK to Oregon. I don't think
30+ mpg on the highway is anything to complain about...the Rover I drive
regularly and the XJS I hope to be driving soon are both sub-15mpg.

30mpg and a 13.2 gallon tank make for a nearly 400 mile range...

James
---

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:21:54 -0400
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

A few years ago, on the way to the Memphis show from S.C., I began to
notice vibration.
At first, I thought it was the road surface.
It got more noticeable until it was shaking the steering wheel in my hands.
It got worse and worse the faster I would go.
We pulled off, and did a visual inspection.  Couldn't find anything
really bent or wacky.
Finally we saw that one of our tires was 'separating'.  There was a
barely noticeable bulge in the tire, and with a change out, everything
was fine again.
But for a moment there, I thought I was going to get shook to pieces!
Sometimes it's something really easy, -and easily overlooked.
Oliver
Vin #10694

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

I just had some front-end vibration cured (not as bad as what you're
describing though). One of the lower control arms was loose.

If you're a little light on cash right now, you might want to try swapping
the tires from side to side to see if the vibration is any different.

-Christian

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:16:26 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

The "inside latch" has me confused - there are two latches, front and
rear. They each perform two functions, lock, and latch (that is, the
door handle). The most common problem is the two latch mechanism being
out of sync - pull your door handle slowly and you *should* get them
both releasing at precisely the same time - more often than not, one
will pop before the other.

The most common cause of doors jaming is where one of the lock linkrods
is too loose/tight causing one of the latches to stay locked while the
other is free.

The inside lock lever connects directly to the same arm as the solenoid,
the lock barrel, and the two latches - there should be no difference
between using the inside lever than using the key in the lock, or the
central locking.

For anyone who has never adjusted door linkages, it's one of the most
useful parts of the workshop manual. Not everything is adjustable, but
it's designed that way so you have a starting point (the front lock link
rod). Adjust the solenoid refering to the movement of the front lock
rod, adjust the internal lever (yes, it does adjust) to match that, and
keep going, one at a time.

But before doing that, you should remove all the lock links and make
sure the latch mechanism works correctly, in sync, and most importantly,
is able to return to its "rest" state smoothly and 100%

Wow, this started out being a quick e-mail! I could write an essay here,
but it's all in the manual!

Martin
DMUK

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:45:40 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Original locking module: Correction

Went to have a look for the procedure, and it's actually in the updates
manual ST-10-8/81 which thanks tot he DMCNews site is available here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html

Martin

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:13:27 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: EFI conversion Vin 6147 Pictures

The coolant bottle is late to mid 80's BMW. I have the model written down somewhere, but it's easily recognizable. It also has the low coolant warning switch built in.
Jim
6147

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:18:55 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: RE: Vin 6147 EFI conversion

Dave,
It's not that hard. Trigger off of the crank pully with hall sensor and magnets. STD Bosch injectors. Same old O2 sensor or heated if you like. You need fuel rails, regulator and some plumbing. Tune ballpark then fine tune on the dyno. I used an SDS ECU. There are lots of choices. Injectors were about 170.00 and the ECU was about 800.00. The rest depends on what you decide on.
Jim
6147

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:59:08 -0400
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <Jeff_at_dml_88-mph.com>

Too bad.. No part numbers 18851955 19851955 19551985 or 19552015  I was
really looking forward to a nice set of railroad wheels..

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:47:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Prices

I can hardly believe that I'm adding to this thread.

I find it hard to believe that the difference between $1.75/gallon
and $2.75/ gallon would keep someone from driving to Pigeon Forge
that was going to go anyway. (This is an extreme case but I like easy
math.) On the assumption that you are driving 1000 miles each way at
28 miles per gallon you're going to use 71 gallons of gas, give or
take. If gas is $1 a gallon more than you expected, thats (duh) $71
extra. For the whole event.

That's less than the price of one night in the hotel, about the cost
of one of the dinners, i.e. relatively insignificant in comparison to
what the trip is costing you. About 90% of the attendees won't be
driving nearly that far, and at least at this time gas has not gone
up a dollar since last summer.

Like our European members remind us, we have nothing to complain
about regarding gas prices. Get out and drive!

On a car that costs as much to keep running as the average Delorean,
and is driven as little as the average DeLorean, gasoline is not one
of your bigger expenses. (Note I said "average" twice, you guys who
drive yours 20,000 miles a year are a long way from the average!)

Dave S

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:06:20 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean

In a message dated 5/18/04 4:28:48 PM Central Daylight Time, james_at_dml_usadmc.com
writes:

> A few years ago, I drove our former company car five-speed from Houston to
> Scottsdale, Arizona. This car had the Stage II engine and I was surprised on
> at least two tankfuls to get over 30mpg. A woman client of ours just drove
> in from Oregon for a week while we installed the Stage II engine in her car,
> and she reported similar results on her way BACK to Oregon. I don't think
> 30+ mpg on the highway is anything to complain about...the Rover I drive
> regularly and the XJS I hope to be driving soon are both sub-15mpg.
>
> 30mpg and a 13.2 gallon tank make for a nearly 400 mile range...
>
> James

James -

How fast were you going?  I drive about 80 and can only get about 275 miles
to a tank.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 01:12:41 -0000
From: "Brian Bross" <babross_at_dml_bresnan.net>
Subject: mode switch.

My mode switch is toast. I have acquired a new mode switch but the
manuals I have show a method to replace the switch that is
impossible. Does anyone have a reference for a method I could use
with instructions to replace it? Thanks

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My father was a traveling salesman.  He said that when
he spent the nights in the hotels in the little towns
he traveled through, invariably the talk came around
to gas mileage.  He said " The first liar never had a
chance.".

With that in mind......

I've put nearly 175,000 miles on two DeLoreans.  One
automatic and one 5 speed.  Almost 50,000 miles were
sans turbo, the rest were with a twin turbo.  Most of
the miles were long distance highway miles.  On the
highway I usually drive the speed limit "plus" (+5 or
+10 mph).  My cars have NEVER acheived 30+ mpg.

The DeLorean Toruing Society has 6 charter members who
do a 2-4,000 mile trip each year in a period of two
weeks.  That obviously means a lot of highway driving.
 We have a stock engined D, 2 twin turbo'd Ds, a
single turbo'd D and a Stage II engine.  To my
knowledge, none of us has ever gotten 30+ mpg.

This is not to say that we are dissatisfied with our
mileage.  We seem to run from 24+ to 28 mpg and I
think that is just fine.  I have no complaints with
300 miles per tankful.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:41:13 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: idle

I would up the idle to 950, replace the 02 sensor and readjust the mixture.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:31:29 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: gas prices

Gas prices in Ontario, Canada _at_dml_ $ .92 per litre (CDN funds) for 87 octane.
                                                     = about $3.40 (CDN) per gallon
                                                     = about $2.50 per gallon (USA)

Marv.
# 17077