From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2025
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 3:44 PM

1. Re: dmc tool box idea???
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

2. Re: idle
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Re: Fuel System Problems/Upgrade
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. RE: dmc tool box idea???
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Re: Gas Prices
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

7. RE: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

8. replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

9. Re: Re: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?
From: Isaac Grover <ephesys_at_dml_myexcel.com>

10. Re: mode switch.
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

11. Re: dmc tool box idea???
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

13. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: dmc tool box idea???
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: dmc tool box idea???
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.
From: "chris_delorean" <88mph_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. ADMIN: Files/Photos Section
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Re: Gas Prices
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. Using a tow dolly
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

20. Re: Re: Fuel System Problems/Upgrade
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: idle
From: "dukeofclassiccars" <tswatch_at_dml_mail.com>

22. Re: idle
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

23. Re: Re: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

24. RE: Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:16:28 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: dmc tool box idea???

On May 18, 2004, at 11:26 PM, billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

>  It would be great if one of the vendors would design a tool box or kit
> that has all the most comomn tools. The box coud be a low profile grey
> box with
> the DMC logo and would be great to have on long trips (like pigeon
> forge). It
> would have the 5-6 common ratchet sizes and several of the other most
> common
> tools.

Well, just in case none of the vendors takes you up on this, here's
another suggestion:
Next time Sears has a tool sale, go check out the automotive tool kits
that they carry. You can find them in all price ranges, and they come
in nice plastic cases that fit easily in the trunk. Here's a trick: go
to a craft store and get two short pieces of large Velcro--the kind
with adhesive on the back. Throw away the "loop" half and stick the
"hook" strips on the back of the toolbox.  You will find that they grip
tightly to the carpet in the trunk, keeping the tools from sliding
around the boot, thus eliminating one of the standard sources of
front-end "klunk" syndrome.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 05:12:48 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: idle

I have no idea where DMC came up with 750 RPM as its idle speed. Even
Volvo F series uses 900 RPM (after 1980).

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 05:25:27 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel System Problems/Upgrade

Do you consider a carburetor a viable option for fuel system problems
or as an upgrade? Remember, there are 2 sides to every coin...

I'm doing my best to pull off a carbureted PRV in time for Pigeon Forge.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:25:21 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mike and Group, It's in the works for PF.I call it the survival kit.I just
got in the last item I need to make it up.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 04:57:33 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean

55 MPH is the optimum average speed for fuel economy from 1970's
technology, which is the best our little silver cars can represent.
That's how it ended up our national standard after the first Oil Crisis.

Today's highway speeds are certainly on the downhill side of MPG.
You've simply run out of gears.

Yes, low wind drag helps, but let's talk about the rolling resistance
of low inflation 235 series tires!

Window sticker CAFE for the DeLorean was 19 MPG. Is no way to get that
with 30 on the highway unless it was in the low 10's around town!
(Point of comparison -- my 5,000 lbs Lincolns with 460 inch plants
(7.5 liters) are well over 10 MPG city).

Didn't someone do a List poll Re: fuel economy within the past year or
two? My European spec PRV is 21 MPG _at_dml_ 80 MPH (2800 RPM), rising to 23
MPG _at_dml_ 60 MPH (2400 RPM).

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 02:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Gas Prices

For anyone who's curious as to what fuel is costing in
the southern hemisphere,down here in Australia,I paid
$1.16 a litre for premium unleaded of 98 Octane last
week which equates to about US$3.00 per gallon. My car
seems to have pretty good fuel economy so I'm not too
worried.It'd have to get alot higher to stop me
driving my D.
Sure am glad I'm flying to Pigeon Forge and not
driving though.It's probably cheaper!

Andrew
VIN 2883
Sydney

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:05:32 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?

try 12 point turns... really, I counted... it's really tight I do 3 point
turns in the rx7.  I use it to drive everywhere else tho...

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:12:14 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)

o.k., just need to vent. I got the replacements in, so I don't need
any help, but my goodness! installing the front speakers has to be
one of the most frustrating and difficult things I've done to the car
thusfar! I could replace the fuel accumulator AND hoses five times
with less effort and swearing than these #$%^&* speakers caused! My
final process? Here it is: Wedge a stick against the floormat and the
speaker holding it in place. Grasp the washer with needlenose pliers.
Add a dab of hot glue to the washer. Push the washer over the stud.
(while laying upside-down on the floor with my feet in the parcel
tray) Put the nut in my 7mm socket and attach to a 12" 1/4 drive
extension. carefully raise the socket to the stud. Watch as the
magnet sucks the nut out of the socket. Curse. bump the stick and
have the speaker fall on my forehead. Put bandaids on my head. Repeat
all steps 5 to 10 times. Finally get the nut threaded and tightened.
Oddly enough, I had the most trouble with the passenger side, the
driver's side went much quicker. I'm sure I could have quickened up
the process with wider nuts which would eliminate needing to reattach
the washers, but I didn't have any on hand that would thread onto the
stud. Now I have a nice pair of Pioneer 2 way TS-878 60w 3.5"
speakers in the front and a pair of Pioneer TS-A6970R 240W 6X9's
mounted in seperate 6X9 boxes sitting happily on the parcel shelf. I
decided not to even bother with trying to cram something in place of
the OEM 4X10's I just snipped the wires and left the OEM speakers in
place. Sounds good. They all go nice with my Pioneer head unit.

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:55:20 -0500
From: Isaac Grover <ephesys_at_dml_myexcel.com>
Subject: Re: Re: How many of us are in the Bay Area (Ca)?

At 14:35 05/17/2004, you said something like:
>When I used to live in San Fran, everyday on the way to my colledge
>I saw a "D" parked in or near the BofA near Market & VanNess. Maybie
>he is still there.

I remember I helped pump gas into a DeLorean that lived in Gilroy back in
1999.  The owner and I just happened to be at the same station at the same
time, and I had my wife pump gas into our car so I could talk to the
owner.  Because it was just a little chilly outside, he asked me to hold
the hood because the hood shocks don't hold up well in cold weather.  Or so
he said - I am not sure that if that holds true for all DeLoreans.

Isaac

Do you make $100,000 per year?  Do you work from home?
Do you want to?
http://bigmoneyandfreetime.v3.net

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:16:17 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Re: mode switch.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bross" <babross_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> My mode switch is toast. I have acquired a new mode switch but the
> manuals I have show a method to replace the switch that is
> impossible. Does anyone have a reference for a method I could use
> with instructions to replace it? Thanks

I just had to pull my mode switch this evening to rebuild it. Two of
the three metal "runners" inside had come loose from the plastic
housing causing a short which made the AC compressor run in all
modes. My advice would be to bite the bullet and remove the center
console. It's really not that bad. I can remove my console in under
15 minutes now. Once that's out of the way, it's one screw left
holding the mode switch to the metal plate and then you can pull it
out from behind.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:02:39 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 5/18/04 10:46:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> I will probably make something like this by getting all the most common
> tools
> I use and just buying neat looking box that would be worthy of holding DMC
> tools :-) . I think it would be great if one of the vendors could make an
> unofficial DMC tool box and offer it for sale at Pigeon Forge.
>
> Mike C
> 2109

Mike -

an affordable and surprisingly diverse tool kit is available from
craftsman/sears.  I think it cost about $45, comes in a soft case folded like a book, and
comes with a ratchet, about 30 SAE and metric sockets, a nut driver with
about 10 ends (phillips, slotted, square, hex...), 2 extensions, a 3/8 to 1/4"
adapter, a set of hex keys, spark plug sockets, and 4 or 5 wrenches.  I got it
for Christmas and i keep this and a multimeter in my trunk at all times.  it
could save your day....

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:30:12 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

Did you read Jordan's HowTo before you started to bother you with the nuts
and washers ?
(hope the link works)
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.html

By the way - I really would be interested to compare your front Pioneers
with the original Craig.

I found that the Craigs sound better than the 2-way 50 Watt speakers I
bought recently.

Elvis

> o.k., just need to vent. I got the replacements in, so I don't need
> any help, but my goodness! installing the front speakers has to be
> one of the most frustrating and difficult things I've done to the car
> thusfar! I could replace the fuel accumulator AND hoses five times
> with less effort and swearing than these #$%^&* speakers caused! My
> final process? Here it is: Wedge a stick against the floormat and the
> speaker holding it in place. Grasp the washer with needlenose pliers.
> Add a dab of hot glue to the washer. Push the washer over the stud.
> (while laying upside-down on the floor with my feet in the parcel
> tray) Put the nut in my 7mm socket and attach to a 12" 1/4 drive
> extension. carefully raise the socket to the stud. Watch as the
> magnet sucks the nut out of the socket. Curse. bump the stick and
> have the speaker fall on my forehead. Put bandaids on my head. Repeat
> all steps 5 to 10 times. Finally get the nut threaded and tightened.
> Oddly enough, I had the most trouble with the passenger side, the
> driver's side went much quicker. I'm sure I could have quickened up
> the process with wider nuts which would eliminate needing to reattach
> the washers, but I didn't have any on hand that would thread onto the
> stud. Now I have a nice pair of Pioneer 2 way TS-878 60w 3.5"
> speakers in the front and a pair of Pioneer TS-A6970R 240W 6X9's
> mounted in seperate 6X9 boxes sitting happily on the parcel shelf. I
> decided not to even bother with trying to cram something in place of
> the OEM 4X10's I just snipped the wires and left the OEM speakers in
> place. Sounds good. They all go nice with my Pioneer head unit.

NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: http://www.gmx.net/dsl

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 06:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

There was  a distance traveled/gasoline used poll following the 2002 Memphis Car Show. Ken posted the mileage for those responding to the poll. I don't know if the results are still posted or not. As I recall I got better than 25 miles per gallon from Roanoke, VA to Memphis, TN and return. Most was Interstate driving and 5 miles over the  posted speed limit. I was pleasantly surprised by my mileage considering  how much luggage we stuffed into the car.

content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> wrote:55 MPH is the optimum average speed for fuel economy from 1970's

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 06:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rod Dillman <rhdillman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Put me on the waiting list for the tool box. I would suggest that Craftsman wrenches be used for the ease of warranty claims and the unconditional lifetime guarantee.

billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com wrote:This is something I had been thinking of for a while. As Rich A. and I have

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:57:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Even if a vender puts together a "tool kit" with some spares it will
never be quite what you would want. There is no way for anyone else to
know your level of skill and how expensive you would want it to get
with spare parts. Zilla has a tool kit and it is far from what I would
call "specialized" for the Delorean. It does have a real nice box
though. I agree Craftsman would be a good tool choice because of the
warrranty and the large # of stores they have. This is really a
project for individual owners to cooperate on. Using the DML I am sure
we could all put our heads together and come up with several versions
of a kit depending on level of skill and price. I think the first
thing in the tool kit has to be reference materiel (like a Workshop
Manual) so you know what you are doing. A nice custom made log of all
previous repairs would also be nice. Then you can pick tools and spare
parts. Like any big problem if you break it down it is simple. 4
catogories, 1, paperwork 2 tools, 3 spare parts 4 case.  Once you have
all the items you want THEN you find the case to fit it all.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:03:57 -0000
From: "chris_delorean" <88mph_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.

Yes, you're right but I or my girlfriend prefers to choose where and
when to stop instead of where or when my car wants.
70 liters (even 80) are usual in a lot of cars...
With a higher capacity fuel tank, it is easier to choose the cheapest
gas station.

Chris.
VIN#04271.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:09:03 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: ADMIN: Files/Photos Section

Most people are aware that there is a files and photos section on the
Yahoo site associated with the mailing list. These are convenient
places to upload pictures or other documents that go with something
you are discussing. They are not good places to put the only digital
copy of something you want to save forever. Yahoo limits the space
there, so a couple of times a year I go in and clean out stuff. Once
its full Yahoo completely blocks access.

I generally dump old and/or unlabled items, but there is no
particular warning or order. I don't have the time to ask since I do
this at odd hours and often the items are not labeled very well.

If you have something stored there you need to download it back to
yourself. Do not count on using this as a public storage facility.

If there is something there that should be preserved for eternity for
all to see, send it to me (see website for address) and I'll put it
in the appropriate place on www.dmcnews.com. It will stay up there as
long as I pay the webserver bill.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:02:32 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Prices

Not to mention a lot dryer.

Dave S

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:37:07 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Using a tow dolly

Anyone in here used a tow dolly to tow a D with a manual transmission?

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel System Problems/Upgrade

Bill,

With all due respect to your clear opinion on FI vs
Carburetor, I tend to disagree with you.

While a Carburetor is a viable option, I would not
consider it an upgrade.  EFI would be an upgrade.

Isn't that what I said below??  (Leaving the long
message history for that specific reason).

In my experience, people who prefer Carburetor over FI
for automobiles do so because they either don't
understand FI, or are more comfortable with
Carburetors..  I will agree, the older FI systems
(like in the DeLorean) are more prone to fail and
require a significant understanding of how the system
works to diagnose and fix a problem.  However, modern
EFI gives a good balance between reliability,
performance, and fuel economy.  If/When they do stop
working diagnosis is still more advanced than a
carburetor, but (IMHO) much easier than the old style
FI that DeLoreans have.

Marc

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:50:06 -0000
From: "dukeofclassiccars" <tswatch_at_dml_mail.com>

I had the same problems. Try John's idea from a previous reply.  What
sounds like to me is that it runs rough until your O2 sensor kicks
in.  Adjusting your mixter screw would solve this problem.  And once
your O2 sensor does kick in, your idle speed motor will adjust to
allow the proper air flow for 900rpm.

~Dan
3817 - Born Again.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "delorean6584"

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:59:53 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

thanks, i have ordered the oxygen sensor, i will change it this
weekend and readjust the co level

thanks

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:39:45 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 5/19/04 7:10:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
ephesys_at_dml_myexcel.com writes:

> Because it was just a little chilly outside, he asked me to hold
> the hood because the hood shocks don't hold up well in cold weather.  Or so
> he said - I am not sure that if that holds true for all DeLoreans.
>

> Isaac

Only if they are the original struts!  mine worked just fine in sub-zero
weather while working on the car in storage.  in fact, my louvers were fine too
but my doors just sagged a bit.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:13:28 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)

$1.93 for 87 Oct. in Tulsa. Glad I'm on my bicycle!    Ahh, "tree-huggers"!
   Drill ANWR, screw OPEC!       Or.... convert the D to Propane or
Hydrogen.  Would that be difficult?      Drive Stainless   (or cheaply?)
Robert    VIN  6924

From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:11:08 -0000

Don't feel bad, I'd jump at the chance to fill up at that bargain
price. Around here in Bellevue, Ohio for regular 87 it hovers around
$2.05 - $2.15 for a gallon of cheap gas. 93 is almost $2.52 a
gallon. What supply demand are we fighting? Everywhere we go there
is plenty of gas? Just not enough money on the exchange yet I guess.
Rip Off. Just wanted you to not feel bad as those prices you have
look good from where I'm standing. This weekend in Cincinnati I got
a break filling up at $1.99 a gallon. Hopefully it will go down
instead of up.

Joe
2524 & 16634

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:50:52 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

>From fill-up to nearly fumes, on the hi-way, lasts about 5.5 hrs.  I don't
know about you, but I get a pretty good case of T.B. by then.  (Tired Butt)
   Drive Stainless   (Non-stop?)    Robert    VIN 6924

From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DML] New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:49:45 -0700 (PDT)

If my math is correct, 4-500 Kilometers is 250 to 300+
miles; or minimally, 3+ hours of driving.  If you've
got a wife or girlfriend traveling with you, you'll
have to stop more frequently than that.

Dick Ryan

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
$1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp