From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2026
Date: Thursday, May 20, 2004 2:48 AM

1. Re: replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

2. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: "Donald L. Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

3. FW: ROB GRADY TECH SESSION at Disney Concours May 23
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

4. Re: Fuel System Problems/Upgrade
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Re: replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. more gas tank stuff. was: Fuel autonomy
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:41:58 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Re: replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)

I knew it was out there, but the link was down. I decided to go ahead
and tackle it myself.

As for the Pioneer 3.5's, They are a signifigant improvement over the
OEM Craigs. The Craigs could handle the highs very well without
distortion, but any midrange was severely distorted. Not to mention
that the OEM's in my dash were severely sun damaged.

-sean
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...>
wrote:
> Did you read Jordan's HowTo before you started to bother you with
the nuts
> and washers ?
> (hope the link works)
> http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.html
>

> By the way - I really would be interested to compare your front
Pioneers

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:29:03 -0700
From: "Donald L. Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>
Subject: Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean

James,

I have been somewhat following the tread you have created with your
millage claim. Personal experience combined with what I think I know
about your Stage II changes would lead me to believe you have obtained
30+ mpg results.

An engine is first and foremost is an air pump. What makes it an engine
is that fuel derived energy is interjected in one of the four cycles to
result in net power being provided to drive the load. Pumping losses are
parasitic and subtract from usable derived power. If you have improved
the overall breathing over the stock engine than you should benefit from
these reduced  pumping losses. Your free flow exhaust alone is
sufficient to obtain the improvement noted. The stock Delorean exhaust
is an ideal candidate for improvement as it is very restrictive. The
Island Twin Turbo manifolds are even more restrictive than the stock
setup.  Energy used to push gases through the plumbing is energy not
available to drive the car and directly effects the amount of fuel used
to drive the system. Back pressure on the top of the piston during an
exhaust stroke is working against having decent fuel economy and is a
much bigger issue than aerodynamics, tire pressure or vehicle weight.
Given our vehicles slick shape and low weight we should be getting 50
mpg with a truely modern engine.

If you ever have the chance to dyno a stock engine vs your flow improved
engine I think you will be able to scientifically qualify the results
you have observed. Just check fuel consumption for a given power output,
especially at part throttle (cruising) conditions.

Thanks for improving the breed.
Don Ekhoff

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:47:13 -0400
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: FW: ROB GRADY TECH SESSION at Disney Concours May 23

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:00:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel System Problems/Upgrade

I was pickin' at you...

Actually, biggest attraction of the B28A (other than being new on a
pallet) is ease of access. No joke -- I can have the intake manifold
off in less than 2 minutes. Don't even need to remove it to access
ignition distributor or clutch slave cylinder. Hope to have it ready
by Pigeon Forge so you can see in person. Is what PRV designers
originally intended.

Don't worry -- I'm keeping my Z7V. It's too nice not to use in some
other application, sans oil leak. European spec fuel injection really
isn't bad. Manually tuned versus onboard ECU's. Requires no special
tools (except perhaps usual pressure gauge. CO2 analyzer would be nice
too, but you can set fuel mixture by watching the spark plugs).

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:44:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I spoke with Elvis, the site is back up.  All of my computers are being upgraded to SUSELINUX 9.1. Redhat is GONE. This causes some outages here and there as I forget to turn the ports back on.

business as usual
jordan
11613

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:18:27 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: more gas tank stuff. was: Fuel autonomy

Speaking of which, I was really low on gas the other day.  I put in 13.4
gallons!  Anyone manage to fit in more than that?

I suppose most people don't often bring the level so low.  I hadn't
planned on it either, but after I put more than 11 gallons in the tank, I
wondered how much more it would take...

Jim
ow, my wallet!
1537

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:50:52 +0000 "robert parker"
<roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com> writes:
> From fill-up to nearly fumes, on the hi-way, lasts about 5.5 hrs.  I
> don't
> know about you, but I get a pretty good case of T.B. by then.
> (Tired Butt)
>    Drive Stainless   (Non-stop?)    Robert    VIN 6924
>

> From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [DML] New poll : Fuel autonomy of the DeLorean.
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
>
> If my math is correct, 4-500 Kilometers is 250 to 300+
> miles; or minimally, 3+ hours of driving.  If you've
> got a wife or girlfriend traveling with you, you'll
> have to stop more frequently than that.
>
> Dick Ryan

> http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/

> address:

> Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance
> to win
> $1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp

> address:

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:07:07 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)

Hey now, don't get mad at people in fuel efficient, compact cars.
They use less fuel, which means more for us! :)

Anywho, converting your car to an alternative fuel such as, CNG
(Compressed Natural Gas), LP (Liquid Propane), LPG (Liquid Petroleum
Gas), Hydrogen, etc, is indeed possible. However, the cost, and
safety aspects of it make it prohibitive.

An alternative fuel conversion isn't simple, and isn't safe on a
DeLorean. On all vehicles where you'll see this conversion done on
the internet, they all have to have some pretty fortified tanks
installed to store their fuel. And in addition, when you see these
kinds of installations, the tanks are almost always installed in the
rear of the car, beyond the 11" impact zone. This kind of safety
installation isn't viable on the DeLorean. You'd have to cut the
trunk out to install a fuel cylinder. And even then, it may not fit.
Don't even bother thinking about the rear parcel shelf either. It
isn't safe to vent into the passenger compartment. By choking, or
smoking, you run the risk of death. Using smaller cylinders instead
still doesn't address all of the safety concerns, and just means a
more expensive install.

Now on the fuel side of things, none of them present a viable future.
LP, LPG, and CNG are all still made from fossil fuels, and would
continue our dependancy on forgien oil. Infact, LP has the potential
to become as expensive as gasoline/petrol if everyone were fueling
their vehicles with it. Which is a good reason why we've not seen a
huge push for said conversions. Hydrogen gas is nothing more than a
fuel for the "Nuclear Family", it's a pipe dream. You need to break
down water to make it. And as anyone of us here in the southwest can
tell you, we can't afford to sacrifice any more water out here. If
you think lawns are thirsty, cars are no comparison. So aside from
the fact that it's pretty expensive to produce, that idea isn't going
to fly with many US states in drought condition.

Mainly, I'd keep a serious "Wait and See" attitude about and fuel
conversions. Bio-Diesel is on the rise, but still isn't a long term
solution. The really big thing that we'll see in the future will be
synthetic fuels. Specificly, the polymerization of animal waste from
aggricultural runoff. The process of turning pig waste into light
crude oil has been successful in small batches, and is being advanced
to the stage where it can both be processed on a large scale
continuous operation, and could even be advanced to the point where
full crude oil can be replicated, and refined just like natural crude.

So while fuel prices worldwide a pretty high right now, there is a
light at the end of the tunnel here. How far away is the question...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_h...>