From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2027
Date: Thursday, May 20, 2004 1:11 PM

1. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Clutch
From: "foxmul2001" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

3. Re: Using a tow dolly
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

4. Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

5. Attention Hotmail and MSN users
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. PNDC & Spokane Parade
From: "nbrommer2k" <nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Bent lower strut mounts
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

8. replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

9. Re: more gas tank stuff. was: Fuel autonomy
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

10. Charcoal hose
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Tool Box
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>

12. Re: another alignment question..
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. RE: Using a tow dolly
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. RE: Using a tow dolly
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

15. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

16. Re: Clutch
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

17. Tools etc.
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Door Struts
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. New product , Radiator Fans / Cooling fans
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. RE: Re: dmc tool box idea???
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Re: Clutch
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. Re: Charcoal hose
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

23. Re: New product , Radiator Fans / Cooling fans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

24. Re: Charcoal hose
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:33:32 -0400
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 30+ mpg in a DeLorean

Sorry Dick, it is possible. I got 32-33mpg in my car on my way home from
Memphis 2 years ago. It was all straight highway with little variances in
speed. My car is also very much lowered with a full ground effects kit on
it. I think that combination is what produced the high fuel efficiency.

---Dan

Message: 23
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My father was a traveling salesman.  He said that when
he spent the nights in the hotels in the little towns
he traveled through, invariably the talk came around
to gas mileage.  He said " The first liar never had a
chance.".

With that in mind......

I've put nearly 175,000 miles on two DeLoreans.  One
automatic and one 5 speed.  Almost 50,000 miles were
sans turbo, the rest were with a twin turbo.  Most of
the miles were long distance highway miles.  On the
highway I usually drive the speed limit "plus" (+5 or
+10 mph).  My cars have NEVER acheived 30+ mpg.

The DeLorean Toruing Society has 6 charter members who
do a 2-4,000 mile trip each year in a period of two
weeks.  That obviously means a lot of highway driving.
 We have a stock engined D, 2 twin turbo'd Ds, a
single turbo'd D and a Stage II engine.  To my
knowledge, none of us has ever gotten 30+ mpg.

This is not to say that we are dissatisfied with our
mileage.  We seem to run from 24+ to 28 mpg and I
think that is just fine.  I have no complaints with
300 miles per tankful.

Dick Ryan

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 01:42:00 -0000
From: "foxmul2001" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Clutch

hello everyone,

My dad's car has begun leaking hydraulic fluid under the engine and
the clutch doesn't disengage, it only grinds into gear so i can only
assume the slave cylinder is shot.  Is this a hard part to change?
How do you do this?  do you have to bleed the entire system
afterwards?  Do I need a lift?  Thanks again.  1981 Black interior 5
speed 30xx vin

joseph molino

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:17:30 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Using a tow dolly

Shouldn't be a problem. Put the front wheels on the dolly and the car in
neutral and go.

I had to tow an automatic on a dolly backwards. The rear wheels are so wide
they don't fit between the dolly wheels. I had to take off the one rear tire
and put on the spare and then it just fit.

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:49:07 -0700
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED

You may recall the attached message I sent on April 26, 2004 regarding the
failure of my automatic transmission.

After almost a month the repairs were completed today.

The problem was a "shaft, fluidpump-s" which sells for $57.76.  It is part
number 103579. This shaft is about 3/8" in diameter and about 28-30" long
connecting the fluid pump and the torque converter.

It had sheared off at a right angle to its length about 1" from one of the
ends.  This made it possible for the remainder of the shaft to turn freely
without a sound and without the production of some fluid pressure to operate
the transmission.

There were no metal shavings in the transmission pan and it was not
necessary to do any internal repairs.

However, the transmission had to be removed and replaced.  While it was out,
many seals were replaced and other parts, usually hard to reach, around the
engine were also replaced including hoses.

The cost was not cheap but much less than it might have been.

I really thank Tony at Auto House here in Oakland.  He was able to make an
exact diagnosis without incurring the cost of going into the transmission.
With this and other repairs before the fateful outing, he has really brought
my DeLorean up from a heap of deferred maintenance caused by the prior
owner's neglect.  I highly recommend Auto House to the DeLorean owners here
in the San Francisco Bay Area. His shop is a block from BART.

I can be reached at my office, 510-238-3378, if you have any questions.

Even though I have put a lot of restoration maintenance into my $3,400 lien
sale acquisition and only had the car to drive for less than two weeks in
the last three months, I really miss the car.

At this time I may be down to interior restoration. The dash board will have
to wait a couple of months for replacement.

Best regards,
Roland Smith
Oakland, California
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 03:41:01 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Attention Hotmail and MSN users

This message is from Yahoo, visible on the web.

Attention Hotmail and MSN users
Hotmail and MSN mail users are currently experiencing delays of up to
1 day in receiving Groups messages. If delays exceed this, we may
begin to not deliver older messages.

We are sorry that you are experiencing delay in receiving messages at
your hotmail.com or msn.com email address. Yahoo! has contacted MSN
and has determined that the source of the problem resides on their
end. They are aware of the issue, but do not yet have an estimate of
when the problem will be fixed. We thank you for your patience and
apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please contact MSN about the issue if you would like an update.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 03:56:57 -0000
From: "nbrommer2k" <nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: PNDC & Spokane Parade

Hi Group,

Just wanted to make some public "thanks" to several people.

First, to all the Pacific Northwest Delorean Club members that made
the 300 mile trek to Spokane to take part in the yearly Lilac Parade,
the second year in a row the club has done so! Nice work Feizel,
Toby, Gary, Jim and Greg.

But MOST of all...a huge "THANK YOU" to Gary Hull, Greg Linstad and
Toby Peterson for the house call and getting my car to start! Most
notably, this was the second year in a row Toby personally came to my
house to help me with my car. His expertice is invaluble, as
evidenced by his engineering of the "Toby-TABs". Toby has also
recently taken over Darryl Tinnerstet's Specialty Automotive and made
it into "Delorean Parts Northwest", furthering the support of our
orphaned vehicles. Not all of us are lucky enough to live close to
Houston, PJ Grady in New York, or any other Delorean specialty shops.
To have an ethusiast like Toby greatly benefits ALL of us, not just
those of us in the Pacific Northwest.

But I digress....

Toby, Greg and Gary spent almost 3 hours pouring over electrical
diagrams and testing connections in my car when the seemingly
impossible happened: it started! My car would have sat in the
driveway for weeks without their assistance. Then, these guys act
like it's just all in an afternoon's "fun". Crazy.

Thanks again guys, you make ownership a pleasure.

Nick

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:33:18 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Bent lower strut mounts

On my passenger door, my lower strut mount is bent about 25 degrees
downward from horizontal.  Is there a way to fix this???  I was
planning on removing the T-panel soon but it doesn't seem like this
would give me any access to the mount.  I figure this problem arose
due to the Lift-o-Mat struts being used on the car.  The fact that
they have no damping feature must have really taken its toll.  The
driver-side lower strut mount is bent as well, but more along the
lines of 5-10 degrees downward.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:06:06 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: replacing the front speakers - (GOODNESS I NEED TO VENT!)

OK, sun damage is a good reason to swap the OEMs. I was very surprised
when I compared the Craigs to the new speakers when I tested them on the
bench.
The mids and high are very good and much louder than the new ones.
Mids and highs are all I need for the front speakers. They make the
stereo effect. Bass comes from the rear speakers (as good as possible).
The 3.5" can't handle the bass anyway.

If my OEMs ever brake - I guess I will order NOS from Houston.
But first I want to compare them with Jordan's.

Elvis

I knew it was out there, but the link was down. I decided to go ahead
and tackle it myself.

As for the Pioneer 3.5's, They are a signifigant improvement over the
OEM Craigs. The Craigs could handle the highs very well without
distortion, but any midrange was severely distorted. Not to mention
that the OEM's in my dash were severely sun damaged.

-sean

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:54:06 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: more gas tank stuff. was: Fuel autonomy

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:18:27 -0400, Jim Strickland wrote:

> Speaking of which, I was really low on gas the other day.
> I put in 13.4 gallons!  Anyone manage to fit in more than that?

I did! On my run back from the UK last year... When I pulled
up to the ferry dock my tank-light came on, but I remembered
from the year before that there was a gas station just outside
Calais, so I wans't bothered by it...

Once I got off of the ferry and onto the highway, the first
sign I saw siad (in French) theh the gas station had been
closed and that my first chance of filling up was going
to be in "Duinkerke", which is in Belgium...

So I rolld down my window, turned of the blower and AC, shut off
my stereo and drove north at 60mph instead of my usual 75+mph
When I pulled up to the pump my engine quite on me and
I needed 51.1 liters (13.5 gallons) to fill up my car...

> I suppose most people don't often bring the level so low.

I never intend on running that low again; since the tank light
switch on my other car went out too and I ran that dry, I've
bought a 5 liter (1.3 gallon) jerrycan that I keep filled up
in the boot at all times for both my cars...
Every 8 or so tankfulls I empty the jerrycan into the tank
and refill it, so the gas in the jerrycan is fressh when
I might need it...

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
Shifting Expectations...   Driving a Nissan...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002
-------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:01:59 -0400
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Charcoal hose

I recently installed a new antenna in my car and was puzzled as to how
to get the hose onthe charcoal canister back into the hold at the bottom
of the pontoon?  My hand is just to darn big as well as you have to turn
the unit sideways ti get it back into the hole!  Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:12:26 -0400
From: Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Tool Box

I too had visions about perhaps making a form fitting tool/utility box
that would be shaped like the contours of the front bonnet space.  A
hard plastic vacuum formed item with a lid that would sit close to the
firewall space.   Like all ideas it's a matter of economics,  I planned
on making a really nice prototype for my car out of wood but never got
around to it.     This has given me a renewed vigor so when I do get to
making one I'll post pictures on the DMCnews site.     In the meantime
if any of our vendors think this may be a worthy new item to invest in
creating, I think it would have wide appeal as opposed to a
off-the-shelf tool/utility box.  I'd buy one if it were available.

Tom

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:55:15 -0000
From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: another alignment question..

I did call 5 different "frame and alignmnet" shops in my area and
they all said they didnt want to or couldnt do deloreans. One shop I
was refered to is manageed by a guy who owns 4 deloreans, but he said
his shop doesnt do alignments either and that he takes his cars to
les schwab!

I'm not going to do anything crazy to my car. But les schwab says it
is unalignable with the caster how it is (and caster is "not
adjustable") so I have to fix caster myself before les schwab will do
the rest of the alignment. I am replacing the sway bar brackets and
bushings this weekend, the bar to lower arm bushings are considerably
squashed and move around in the socket. After this I will get it
measured again, if its still out I will try shimming/unshimming to
even it up.

Also what should the thrust angle on a delorean be; zero? My car has
a thrust angle of .25 right now according to les schwab..

Les schwab also recommended increasing my tire pressure. I am running
the 23 for front and 30 for rear per the owner manual, on Pirellis.
What do you recommend?

thanks!
adam

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:35:06 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Yes, I did and it works fine. If you rent it from UHaul don't tell them it's
for a Delorean, it's not listed and the won't rent it.

Anyone in here used a tow dolly to tow a D with a manual transmission?

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 06:24:40 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Travis,   I think Arnie Brandon of the PNWD Club does....a few years ago he
did at least.   He towed it with an Airstream Motorhome.   I think with the
rear (powered) wheels on the dolly.  However most straight shift cars can be
towed, four on the ground, whereas Automatics need to have the driving
wheels on the dolly.
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:41:02 -0400
From: "Hank" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

>There was  a distance traveled/gasoline used poll following the 2002 Memphis Car Show.

You might be thinking of my Delorean Mileage Tracker I threw together for Memphis.  The idea was to track just how much mileage (in total) we all added to our cars due to the event.  But it also calculated MPG after the event when people enter how much fuel they used (see the Memphis entries).

 It's still up and available for everyone to use for Pigeon Forge, if they wish.  Check it out here:

http://www.eskin.net/delorean/tracker.php

-Hank

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:41:47 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch

Let me give you some advice...

Remove the engine cover to do this from the top.

You will have to bleed the system afterwards so get some Castrol GT LMA (sp?)
Brake fluid to do this job.

What you will experiance now that the slave is new is that the master will
probably start leaking soon afterwards. You may want to also replace the clutch
line with a braided one at this point so you won't have to go back to this later on.

Regards,

Michael
vin 6067

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:35:34 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Tools etc.

FYI:

Just noted an inexpensive timing light at Harbor Freight Tools for
12.99 item # 03343-ORCH

also saw an "automatic battery float charger" for 9.99 item # 42292-
2RCG

both may come in handy for us DMC-12 owners...

Dave & 6530

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 02:37:31 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Door Struts

Group,
Some of you may know that I went back to Stabilus the original maker
of the Delorean door struts and had them re-made. After several
hundred sold I have had 0 returns and no problems.
I have had several calls that some vendors may be out of door struts
and are also having some trouble with there brand. I just wanted to
let the group know I have plenty in stock and I am offering a pre
show special at $29.95 ea with a 5 year warranty.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 02:54:07 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: New product , Radiator Fans / Cooling fans

Group, This has been on my plate to get this done for almost a year.
Well last month or so it came together. Special T auto.com now has a
bolt on replacement for the Delorean. Metal fan shroud, low current
draw 1/2 from new technology HP pancake fans, low profile 1/3rd the
behind radiator space, quieter and not counting 1/2 the price of
replacement. Also the motors are $48.00 replacement cost with a 5
year warranty. I will be showing them at the DCS, PF show.
You can also see the details on the link below.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-fans.html

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:32:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: dmc tool box idea???

Tools are cheap and can be bought anywhere. What I am putting together is a
Survival kit so on a road trip if you break down some of the essentials you
will have and normally can't find in a local store. Items like a Fuel pump,
Pulse coil, jumpers for otterstat, jumpers for RPM relay and so on. But Like
David say's it won't be a $39.95 kit.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:25:08 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I agree - after doing this job several times on various cars, I would
refuse to change the clutch slave or master by itself. It's almost a
100% guarantee that the second one will fail 6 months after the first
one.

Dave S

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:10:17 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Charcoal hose

While it was a tight fit, I never had to turn the charcoal canister
sideways to fit it back in. But I did relocate it slightly lower,
when I replaced my defective canister. Push the rubber hose thru the
hole in the pontoon bottom, grab, and pull the slack thru. Then, just
insert the canister bottom first, and gently push the top into the
hole.

If this method doesn't work for you, there are a couple of
alternatives:

1. Remove the rear facia to open up the access holes. This also has
the double benefit of allowing you to retighten the rear most chassis
bolts.

2. Get some replacement hose for the drain tube on the charcoal
canister. Cut it really long, so that when you twist the canister,
you'll have enough slack left that the hose won't be able to fully
retract into the pontoon. Mount the access panel, tauten the hose,
and cut off the excess.

FYI: I have seen on many DIY car shows, and in repair manuals the
reccomendation of using a box cutter to slice/cut rubber hoses. This
results in sloppy, uneven cuts IMO. A better reccomendation would be
to get a set of decent pruning shears, and use those instead. You'll
always get quick, precise, and even cuts on rubber hoses. Important
for both astetics, and for tight spaces, when you need as flush a
mating area as possible.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:21:08 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: New product , Radiator Fans / Cooling fans

What is the CFM rating on these fans? I would need something that
either meets, or exceeds the stock fans here in the desert, since I
need to cool both the radiator, and the A/C. I don't have the #'s on
me, but Flex-a-Lite made a puller fan that would fit on the stock
rad, and was something like 1250 cfm _at_dml_ 9 amps continuous, 12 amps
start up. Are these comparable?

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:29:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You could fit a short piece of copper tubing into the hose. If
necessary you can use it to add another short piece of hose to make it
even longer. After you get it in just remove the extra hose and copper
tubing. Pull the bottom off the cannister and check the filter as long
as you have it out. Make sure the hose is not plugged up. I agree that
it is tight in there but I guess I have smaller hands than you. Maybe
take the hose off the cannister and stick it in the hole first then
attach it to the cannister. If the hose it too short that may be your
problem.

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:24:12 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

I'd agree that the front of the Delorean has a relatively small frontal
area, but this doesn't mean it is particularly aerodynamic.  The only
number that I've ever seen for the coefficient of drag is .34, which i
probably realistic (if not optimistic) given the time of build.  The
pantera also came in at .34.

The bubble known as the "toyota prius" is huge compared to the Delorean
(standing almost 5 feet tall at 57.6 inches!), and managed a .29Cd.  Even
the enormous Buick Park Avenue managed a .32!

Although the Delorean is a lot lighter than most think, 2800lbs isn't
really featherweight.  Unless you mean "powerless, gasoline electric
hibrid" by *truely modern engine*, i don't think the Delorean has a shot
at 50mpg.

Jim

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:29:03 -0700 "Donald L. Ekhoff"
<ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net> writes:
> James,

> Given our vehicles slick shape and low weight we should be getting
> 50
> mpg with a truely modern engine.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!