From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2029
Date: Friday, May 21, 2004 12:46 PM

1. Stainless steel care
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

2. Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Smart Car
From: "Brian Henderlong" <brian_at_dml_henderlong.com>

4. RE: Final drive issue will be put to the test soon
From: Michiel Böhmer <michiel.bohmer_at_dml_infram.nl>

5. Fuse box
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Stainless Door Sill Covers?
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

7. Re: Attention Hotmail and MSN users
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>

8. Re: Smart Car
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

9. Re: RE: Final drive issue will be put to the test soon
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

10. RE: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2004
From: "Michael M" <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>

11. The tow dolly follow-up
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

12. Re: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Smart Car DMC?
From: "Charlie G" <charlie_az_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Stainless Door Sill Covers?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: Attention Hotmail and MSN users
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. License plate holder
From: "Vanilla Thunder" <vanilla_thunder2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2004
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Grooved Front Rotors
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

19. RE: The tow dolly follow-up
From: "Michael M" <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>

20. Re: Door Sill Covers/ License Holder
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

21. Re: Grooved Front Rotors
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: License plate holder
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: License plate holder
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

25. Re: The tow dolly follow-up
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 20:57:14 -0700
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: Stainless steel care

I have a few places on the stainless steel that are shiny.

I just acquired some gray Scotchbrite pads from DMCH.

What is the recommended procedure and what chemicals should be used?

Is a wire brush ever used to create the combed effect?  If so, how?

Roland Smith
Oakland, California

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:15:33 -0000
From: "joeyoseppijoe" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Reverse Lights Still Won't Work

I believe Patrick fixed this issue. He had apparently disconnected,
or cut a wire while installing his door launchers. After
reconnecting the wire all is working again. At least week his
reverse lights were working.

Joe

2524 & 16634

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:39:40 -0400
From: "Brian Henderlong" <brian_at_dml_henderlong.com>
Subject: Smart Car

Okay, here's something:

You go to http://www.zapworld.com/smart.htm, you click on "Product
Specifications", and you read the specifications for the Smart Car, a 60mpg
two-seater.

At the bottom you see this statement:

"Smart is manufactured and marketed in Europe by an unaffiliated party and
made US/CA compliant by DMC."

Any relation to JZD or his current company?  The "zapworld" site sheds no
light on the subject.

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:57:33 +0200
From: Michiel Böhmer <michiel.bohmer_at_dml_infram.nl>
Subject: RE: Final drive issue will be put to the test soon

     Hi there Martin,

I have allready been there (why do you think I can offer you a clutch-fork
:-). I have had my gearbox changed together with the tuning of my engine. I
have bought a R25 gearbox in good condition and had the final drive put in
the transmission of the DeLorean. This way I went from 3,44 (original) to
3,89 (R 25). I beleive these were the figures.

To be honest: I expected more then I got (and theoretically calculated). It
was obvious that performance improved and proportions were better but
nevertheless I was a little disappointed. The effective result was too
marginal. If I had to do it over again I would change some gears aswell. I
have some incomplete notes where I calculated every option and got just the
right mixture. Have to look into it to figure out what was the right recepe.

Michiel

Hi All

As some will know, I've recently picked up a Renault 25 turbo engine to
rebuild and put in my D. Well, last week, wonder of wonders, I found
something to go with it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2478223514

A complete 30 gearbox, with fabled 3.8:1 final drive. I'm picking this
box up next week and will take it strait round to the gearbox place I
found who rebuild UN1's on a regular basis (and currently have one of
our DeLorean boxes in for repair of 2nd and general inspection). I'll
get the final drive rotated, wack a new LUK clutch in there, and bolt it
strait to my new engine, once I've got around to rebuilding it with a
new DeLorean crank case and sump, ancilliaries, and of course make it
look a lot prettier!

...then it's time to worry about the chargecooler, intake and exhaust
pipework, and a trip to Emerald for the ECU and setup!

This is not going to happen overnight - I can see the lion's share of
the work being done in the autumn.

[in case anyone wonders, the 5 speed 369 is very rare in this form -
most 30s has auto trannys - this was quite a find]

Best Wishes

Martin
DMUK

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:23:16 -0000
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fuse box

Hi all,

been a while since I've posted....a lot has happened and to make it
short, I'm a new dad!

Anyway, I was wiring up a new fuse box yesterday in my D and I
noticed something odd. Position 13 (Automatoc Tranny fuse) had wires
to it along with a 10 amp fuse. What's so odd? I have a manual
tranny! Is this still used in the manual tranny setup?

Also...position 18 (Stop lights) has a 20 amp fuse BUT....there are
no wires going to it?? What gives? I know I have the orientation of
the fuse box correct since the cover of the fuse box only goes on
one way and I matched everything up. I removed one wire at a time
from the old box, snipped off the old connector, crimped and
soldered on a new connector and snapped it into the same exact spot
on the new fuse box.

Any insight would be appreciative.

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:41:19 -0000
From: "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Stainless Door Sill Covers?

Hiya all

Does anyone know of a supplier that makes stainless door sill
covers ??

Bozzzy

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:01:31 -0000
From: "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_netscape.net>
Subject: Re: Attention Hotmail and MSN users

Where did you get this notice and how can I reply?
thanks,
Larry

> This message is from Yahoo, visible on the web.
>
> Dave

> Attention Hotmail and MSN users
> Hotmail and MSN mail users are currently experiencing delays of up
> 1 day in receiving Groups messages. If delays exceed this, we may
> begin to not deliver older messages.
>
> We are sorry that you are experiencing delay in receiving messages
at
> your hotmail.com or msn.com email address. Yahoo! has contacted
MSN

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:37:51 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Smart Car

No, the original DeLorean Motor Company is defunct.  There
is no relationship.

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:04:34 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: RE: Final drive issue will be put to the test soon

Hi Michiel

The R21 turbo had a 4.1:1 ratio - parhaps you should consider that?1

Martin

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:45:56 -0400
From: "Michael M" <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>
Subject: RE: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2004

I will be there in person, but I doubt the car will make it, have a dent in
rear panel and need to dye the interior back to grey.  I would love to meet
up with other owners there though.

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:51:48 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: The tow dolly follow-up

When you guys towed with a tow dolly (facing forward) did you disconnect
from the rear transaxle? I'm only towing 150 miles...

That also begs the question, how is the differential lubricated? Is it
submerged in gear oil at all times?

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:50:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: First Outing With My DeLorean-STRANDED

If it was shifting "very clunky" it must have been that the vacuum
modulater was not working and the line pressure was not correctly
adjusted. Even so it is a stretch to conclude that was the cause of
the shaft failing. Maybe the shaft was not handled properly at some
point before it was ever installed or maybe it was not made or
heat-treated properly. You are lucky you got someone that was able to
diagnose the problem correctly. Most of the time they do a complete
autopsy and in the course of a total rebuild they find and fix the
problems.

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:53:27 -0000
From: "Charlie G" <charlie_az_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Smart Car DMC?

As far as a Europe car Co. that I know of is = Daewoo Motor
Corporation they also go by (DMC) for short.  They have plants in
Europe and Korea. But who knows?????  My best bet would be Daewoo.

Charlie

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:56:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Stainless Door Sill Covers?

I don't think there are any pieces that completely cover the door
sills. I know that there are pieces that either cover or go around the
DMC letters and Rob Grady has a kit of strips that go between ther
ridges of the sill. I don't think you would want anything to cover the
sills. It would get all scratched up from your shoes getting in and
out. Even the pieces that cover the letters eventually get scratched
up. I got the ones that fit into the ridges of the sill so they aren't
getting scratched. BTW if you do attach anyting to the sills you must
clean them VERY WELL several times or it won't stick.

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:39:38 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

It was a banner on the main group web page at:

It is no longer there. I have no idea where to "reply" to - the
attachment is the full text of the announcement.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "tianlung4028" <tianlung4028_at_dml_n...>

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:11:11 -0000
From: "Vanilla Thunder" <vanilla_thunder2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: License plate holder

Is there a good license plate holder that will not mess up the front
bumper too much?  Texas requires a front and back license plates.  Is
there some kind of bracket or kit I can buy?

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Awesome!  An exotic car show at a brewery!  What more
could one want (well, maybe the judges could be
provided by Hooters!).

Dick Ryan

VIN 16867

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:43:40 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Grooved Front Rotors

I've been wondering what exactly to do about this.  Both of my front
brake rotors are grooved and when they heat up, the wheel pulls to
the left and squeals loud enough to wake the dead.  It sounds like
it's just the left side that's squealing.  The pads have plenty of
meat on them but I haven't taken the time to tear apart the calipers
yet.

When I spin the rotors on the car by hand, I can hear a slight
scraping sound which may indicate they are warped.  The left side
more than the right.

Should I just replace them or have them repaired?

Johnny

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:56:54 -0400
From: "Michael M" <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>
Subject: RE: The tow dolly follow-up

I locked it in neutral, just make sure you have good back tires, mine though
looking new and quite soft blew up and whipped the heck out of the rear ss
quarter panels.

mike

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:04:44 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Door Sill Covers/ License Holder

http://www.pjgrady.com/stainlessmain.asp

sill covers, $35 to $100 depending on what you want.
licence holder, $35.

Jim

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:41:19 -0000 "Mike" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
writes:
> Hiya all
>
> Does anyone know of a supplier that makes stainless door sill
> covers ??
>
> Bozzzy

> address:

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:30:59 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Grooved Front Rotors

If the rotors are deeply grooved they will have to be replaced. The
pulling to one side is probably caused by a sticking piston in one of
the front calipers. My advice to you is to order 2 front rotors, a new
set of pads with the shims and hardware, and 2 rebuilt front calipers.
You should flush the brake system too. You will have to bleed it
anyway. Make sure the master cylinder is not leaking. If the brake
fluid looks like mud then figure very soon you will need it so you
might as well do it now. If the brake fluid is that bad you will find
yourself rebuilding the rear calipers soon too. In a 20 + year old car
it is very common to need a complete brake system rebuild. This seems
to be especially so on British cars. They seem to need their brake
fluid changed every 2 years or everything corrodes inside. This also
goes for the clutch on a 5-speed. Use Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 brake fluid.
Don't skimp on the brakes, your life could depend on it.

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:35:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: License plate holder

The Delorean venders sell a S/S bracket that attaches to the existing
screws on the front of the car.  It will not "mess up" the car at all
as opposed to the factory bracket which requires you to drill holes in
the front facia. As nice as the bracket is I added a license plate
frame too.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Vanilla Thunder"

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:05:26 -0400
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

PJ Grady has a great ss one....no modifications at all. It uses the same bolts as the front air screen...

mike c

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:36:23 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

David,

would a maladjusted vacuum modulator or low line pressure cause a
symptom like this:

Car drives normally. GC was rebuilt and all shift points are correct.
Fluid level is correct. Trans kicks down with rapid acceleration
during driving (passing gear) as it should. However, once in a very
great while, when accelerating away from a stop a tad quicker than
normal the trans will kind of slip for a half second then
seemingly "clunk" into first gear and pull away and shift normally
from then on out. If one accelerates away from a stop lightly (i.e.,
not a 'jackrabbit' start) Trans starts in first and shift normally.
no clunk, no slip. On warmer days, the slip/clunk never happens.

Ideas?
-sean

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:36:46 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

I'd think it would just be safer to rent a car trailer. I rented one
for $35 for the whole day from a local tool yard when I went to get my
D.
-sean