From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2032
Date: Sunday, May 23, 2004 7:52 PM

1. Re: K-jetronic not connected
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Good to see an exotic once in a while...
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: K-jetronic not connected
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: camshaft sprocket support tool for head removal J28858
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

5. Re: K-jetronic not connected
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. The AZ-D goes to Tucson-a long read
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

7. Re: K-jetronic not connected
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Replacing Headlining
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

9. AC Parts
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. FW: [52 Favorite Cars - on Spike TV]: Thanks - from Spike TV
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

11. The El-Glo Dash Kit
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com

12. Lambda ECU not connected(was K-jetronic not connected)
From: 10120mdb <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

13. clutch
From: "foxmul2001" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

14. forgive slow reply...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

15. Fuel boot
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

16. Pigeon Forge
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

17. Re: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2004
From: "Jeff Torrey\\" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>

18. Re: Replacing Headlining
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

19. Passenger-side keylock is jammed
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

20. Re: Pigeon Forge
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. AC R134a Retrofit Kit
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

22. Re: Fuel boot
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: clutch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Delorean For Sale
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. RE: Fuel boot
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 00:38:04 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: K-jetronic not connected

The connector is for the Lambda, not the K Jet. The K Jet is purely a
mechanical system. You simply had your O2 sensor and freq valve
inoperative. Not exactly good for emissons nor the best way to insure
continued health of your cat converter.

The car should not hunt during idle. It takes a working knowledge of
the Lambda ECU's operation, proper mixture and CIS setup, and a
reasonably healthy engine to make the PRV idle well from a cold
start. Most people ignore the extra enrichment provided by the cold
temp switch and that's often what frustrates them in setting up a
stable idle. If the idle speed system is working an erratic idle
(before O2 sensor warm up) is almost always associated with this cold
enrichment. If you instrumented the Lambda ECU and exhaust stream
you'd see the correlation. This is why the car ran "better" without
it connected, because a dead Lambda ECU will not drive the frequency
valve. Cold start enrichment is then left solely to control pressure.

If the idle hunts after O2 sensor warm up there are other paths to
follow but in your case it sounds as if the hunting is due to the
(now active) cold enrichment switch. It toggles the same input as the
WOT switch. Contact me off list for procedures that are guareented to
cure any idle problems (from any cause) you may have. You'll need
some basic tools and the ability to follow directions. A dwell meter
would also be helpful.

Btw, I'd have thought after owing the car for a year you'd have
already looked at all this. You'd also be unlikely to pass emission
testing. The connector is such that it shouldn't simply come off. The
blue wire is likely the O2 sensor while the "test" wire sounds like
it was added by a PO. It could be connected to any of the ECU
inputs/outputs or even the O2 sensor itself.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mads de Bruin" <debruin_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This weekend a friend of mine helped me out with removing a very
annoying talking alarm that wasn't working the way it should. While
> I was preparing for that task by removing the center console, I
also took a look in the compartment behind the drivers seat......<

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 01:20:02 -0000
From: "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Good to see an exotic once in a while...

Well I've been having problems with my little sports car...non
DeLorean, but I finaly got most of the bugs worked out enough so I
could drive it around for a solid 2 1/2 hours today.  On my excursion
with the top down about 40 miles away I saw a DeLorean I thought was
long gone. (Early car 12xx, black auto with wide stripe).  I'm glad
its still in the area.  The jerk sold the car that had it and I
thought it was gone (from the area) for good, havent seen it since
last September.  Man its good to see a DeLorean again, makes the old
spirit come right up from your gut.  The closest Delorean next to
this one is over 200 miles away.  God, just another 2 grand and I can
outright buy one, I wanted this car ever since I was 8 years old.

Tom Porter
Northern Maine, USA
Vin:  2 grand away! YEAH!

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 02:30:12 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

That's the lambda computer. The engine can be made to run ok if that's
disconnected by richening up a but. Now you've plugged it back in, it
needs adjusting again

Martin

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 02:31:39 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: camshaft sprocket support tool for head removal J28858

Don't bother with the support tool, just take the timing cover off and
take the opportunity to change the timing chains. Even with the extra
work this generates, it's still quicker than faffing about with the
support tool and the inherant problems with getting the sprocket bolt out.

Martin

Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:38:21 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 5/22/04 6:08:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl writes:

> After that I disconnected the plug again and everything is fine.
> I know the connector should be connected, it's there for a reason but it
> runs better without it connected.
> Could someone explain what's causing this or what is wrong?
>
> Mads de Bruin

Mads,

I assume by 'silver box' you are talking about the Lambda ECU.  apparently a
previous owner or mechanic had a problem with the lambda/frequency valve
system and did not care to repair the problem the right way, leaving you to try to

1) figure out what the original problem was
2) figure out how they dealt with it in any number of stupid ways and
3) how to fix it the right way (that's where the shop manual and the DML
comes in!!!!!!).

the lambda ECU's function is to take readings from the lambda sensor,
interpret them as rich or lean, and instruct the frequency valve to modify the fuel
amount by varying its duty cycle in a pulse width signal (the valve is actually
kind of an actuator).

the first problem, even though your car seems to run 'perfectly', is that it
idles too high.  750RPM is correct according to the books.

you have two options - either

1) leave the car as it is in a hacked but running state (like so many other
D's out there)
or
2) spend some quality time and money getting it to run 'right'.

most of us on the DML would advocate option 2.  begin by plugging in the box
and making sure none of the wiring is cut or spliced.  if it is spliced, there
is other wiring added or deleted that you need to repair. refer to the
electrical diagram and read part 4 under the fuel, emissions chapter of the shop
manual.  you should replace your lambda sensor and make sure the frequency valve
is buzzing while the car is running, even if it doesn't sound like it is
running/idling well.  at least then the ECU isn't dead.  take your throttle linkage
apart, clean it, lubricate it, and make sure it is adjusted properly (could
be why your idle is high).  also the usual check of all vacuum lines, vacuum
leaks, etc could cause high idle.

this will probably take a while to fix properly but be patient.  the ECU
doesn't go bad often but there is probably more than one problem that needs to be
fixed.

Let us know how things go and we will help you along.  it took me about 3
years of tinkering before i got my engine running 100% perfect.  i had probably 7
different things wrong at once and i had to fix one thing in order for
another problem to show itself - just be patient and keep at it.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 00:04:51 -0700
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: The AZ-D goes to Tucson-a long read

Greetings from the desert,
        Miscellaneous ramblings from the office of the Vice President of the
AZ-D.  I just got off the phone with Randal Brown, our President and 3M
connection.  There are going to be some really great specials and surprises
in Pigeon Forge.  You won't want to miss this.  I am not privy to all the
information, but he told me enough that we're going to outdo Memphis by a
longshot.
        Ok, so on to the subject teaser.  A few months back I asked two of
our members to contact all the folks in Tucson that were on our membership
roster.  We got limited response but one woman, an original owner, contacted
us for our help.  We've all heard the story of a car sitting at a mechanics'
workshop for "X" number of years.  Well, I saw it first hand.  After over
two years, the car still wasn't running.  She was fed up, as you can
imagine.  We had her tow the car back to her house and a few of our faithful
members went down to assess the situation.
        After numerous phone calls and some orders to support our vendors
(yep, plural) they came back smelling of 2+ year old fuel and a sense of
satisfaction.  Mother's Day was the next trip as her son was in for a visit.
Again, one faithful AZ-D member from Casa Grande (thanks Dan) was there to
try and get the car on the road, but such was not to be.  So today was our
third trip down to Tucson to get an original owner back on the road....
        Let's see who we had....Dan from CG, Hugh from Scottsdale, our
youngest member Cory, Charlie and Misty-part runners in their
"not-a-DeLorean", Ben "my car is NOT painted" Ferguson, our club mechanic
and DeLorean Automotive owner Ryan Gould, and myself.  We all caravanned
down to Casa Grande to meet Dan and head the rest of the way to Tucson,
about 100 miles.  About half way between CG and Tucson, Hugh's car barfed a
bit of coolant so we pulled off to check it out but everything seemed ok.
You can imagine the scene we caused with 5 DeLoreans in Podunk Arizona.
Even Cletus the Slack-jawed yokel was there....:(  We got a police escort
back onto the highway from the local fuzz....really good guy.
        So we made it to Tucson and went to work.  We pushed Pam's car into
the middle of the garage and got it on jack stands.  Dan and Ryan tore into
it and removed the fuel lines and boot-or what was left of it, fuel filter
and accumulator, and laid out Rob's new coolant hoses.  This is the cool
part: 4 more Tucson owners showed up, two with their cars!  So we met
virtually everyone on our list from Tucson that we hadn't seen or heard from
since before I came out to AZ.  We got 4 "new" members to "re-up" their
membership and join us.  It was a terrific day.  We have a strong presence
in Tucson again with some outstanding people and we'll be making several
trips down there each year.  We plan to help everyone get back on the road
and fix the issues so that they will be able to join us in the Phoenix area
for events as well.
        I've seen a lot of posts regarding DeLorean clubs and membership
issues.  All I can say it keep calling, keep emailing, and go visit.  It
worked for us.  We've got a good following down in Tucson and a bigger club
because of it.  We met a bunch of great owners and enthusiasts today and
we'll be getting together with them quite a bit over the next few months.
We'll post the major events to the DML and all are welcome to join us at any
or all of them.  Remember, we drive year round, even in the 120 degree
summers.  We've got hot weather tips and tricks that keep us on the road and
we're always willing to lend a hand and share what we know.

There's a great DeLorean group here in AZ and I am really glad to be a part
of it....:)

Matthew
VIN 16816
AZ-D VP

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 04:09:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Welcome to the wonderful world of US government mandated emissions...

That silver box is your Lambda Sond ECU. It's what controls the
frequency valve. Unplugging it has the same effect as unplugging the
valve itself -- lower fuel distributor chambers fail safe to a
constant state of enrichment AND NEVER CHANGE. You can then tune the
engine manually (except for CIS, unless you want to bypass it too).
Thousands of Europeans run their PRV's just this way.

For some reason talking about bypassing Lambda amounts to heresy among
some DeLorean enthusiasts. Yet it was not part of the original PRV
design. F series imports through 1979 ran just fine (better?) without it.

In theory a DeLo won't pass tail pipe test without Lambda, yet my DeLo
with a Renault block (absolutely no provision for Lambda, equivalent
to E series) came with a current Pennsylvania emissions sticker. Of
course it was tuned funny, which cut into performance dramatically.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:34:03 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Replacing Headlining

Just wanted to get some input on replacing the headlining on the DeLorean.  Not the section above your head on the doors but rather the two pieces that are under the T Panel inside the car.  Pulling back the weather strip around the door, the originals seemed to be glued around the edge under the door seals.  Also I know you have to be careful removing the original pieces as they can slide forward and damage the windshield.  Just wanted to hear any tips or things to watch when removing the old ones and also when installing the new recovered pieces especially the overhang that goes under the door seals and what type of sealant or glue to use for those edges under the seals.

Gary

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:24:50 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: AC Parts

Group,
I was over at my AC supplier and he is closing out an R12 hardware
connection kit $20.00 ea. He only has about 10 of these if anyone is
intrested.
Also, If any one wants Freeze 12 for $7.00 per can I will bring it
to PF. I really don't like to ship chemicals. I have added it to the
cooling section of the web site so you can order it.
John Hervey

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-system.html

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:25:59 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: FW: [52 Favorite Cars - on Spike TV]: Thanks - from Spike TV

Rumor has it there will a DeLorean on this program...

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:31:58 EDT
From: KiwiDean_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: The El-Glo Dash Kit

Hi,
I decided to bite the bullet and ordered the El-Glo Dash kit from
_www.deloreanautomotive.com_ (http://www.deloreanautomotive.com)  for  my Delorean.
Considering how the current instrument panel is lit, it seems  to be a great way
to 'jazz it up' (plus it matches with the new radio/DVD player  I had put in
earlier).  But I was wondering if anyone out there has already  acquired this
kit and if so, if it has already been installed.  I'd like to  know if it
actually does look as good as advertised.
Dean Thomas
Downey, CA.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:55:57 +0200
From: 10120mdb <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>
Subject: Lambda ECU not connected(was K-jetronic not connected)

Thanks for all your explanation and tips so far.
I can give you some more information about this problem. A friend of
mine was present that has just some more technical knowledge and he told
me it was a module that controlled the frequency valve. Thanks for
correcting the K-jetronic mix up, I'm not the biggest technical expert
about the DeLorean but now I will use the term Lambda ECU. ;-)
While it was disconnected he noticed that the frequency valve wasn't
working, after connecting the plug, it was. It looks like the Lambda ECU
is working although Im not sure if it is working correctly.
I should also tell you that I live in the Netherlands and over here we
don't have to have the catalytic converter present for this particular
car. (it has to do with the year it was built in)
The previous owner removed the cat and replaced it with a stainless
steel replacement tube.
I will take all your information to tackle this problem but I'm going on
vacation this friday for two weeks so it could take some time before I
will let you all know.

Thanks!
Mads
Netherlands

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:02:39 -0000
From: "foxmul2001" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: clutch

I guess my question in regarding the replacing of the slave cylinder
for the clutch was, how do I replace it?  Do I need a lift?  Can I
replace it myself?  Can it be accessed from the top?  Do I need a
transmission guy to drop the trans?  Thanks for all your help.

joseph molino

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 13:58:56 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: forgive slow reply...

Hi Everybody,

If you have contacted me in the last couple of days regarding DeLorean
parts (or anything else for that matter), please forgive the slow reply.
 My computer contracted a virus, and it's out being cleaned at the
moment.  Should be back together tomorrow...so if you haven't heard from
me yet, you should by tomorrow.  I'm using my Dad's computer in the
meantime.

Thanks for your patience,
Josh
and the rest...

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:15:29 +0100
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Fuel boot

I have just given my baffle and fuel boot and overhaul and found that the
reason it kept filling up with fuel was that the fuel pickup hose connection
to the top of the fuel pump wasn't quite tight enough.

I have tightened this up has much as possible and there has been a vast
improvement but there is still a minute trickle of fuel still escaping.
Over 20 minutes it only managed to collect in the top of the ridged section
of the fuel pump and so the boot remained dry.  Will this do??  I had a
brand new washer on either side of the ringed piece which is connected to
the hose that feeds the pump fuel from the tank.

My only other thoughts would be some softer washers which would act more
like gaskets and would prevent any fuel from escaping.  The parts manual
suggests a washer for either side and those I used were brand new from a
vendor.

Does anyway else know if there fuel boot remains dry inside whilst the car
is run?

Regards

Chris Hawes

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 13:49:32 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Pigeon Forge

Warning!

I am giving a Warning to all people that are using the links provided
on www.deloreancarshow.com for Pigeon Forge. I went on
www.deloreancarshow.com last night just to look at the Pigeon Forge
links. I noticed you can sign up for some free brochures and coupons
for what's happening around Pigeon Forge so i did so and some required
a email address, i am now getting SPAM from all locations around Pigeon
Forge that i did not even look at. I have gotten close to 25 SPAM
emails in less than 24 hours and they keep coming. I registered for a
free map, food coupons and a Pigeon Forge attraction brochure to be
sent VIA U.S. Mail and i am getting SPAM from several hotels and
cabins. I suggest when registering for these free brochures and coupons
use a B.S. email address.

These links i believe are not affiliated with the Delorean Car Show
they are just provided on the Delorean Car Show website for us to see
what else is located in Pigeon Forge.

Mark V

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:28:16 -0400
From: "Jeff Torrey\\" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Northeast Exotic Car Show 2004

Mike- Thanks for your reply. I look forward to meeting you at the show.

-Jeff

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:12:27 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing Headlining

I just replaced mine with ones from Houston. First remove the sun visors.
Then take a sharp knife or razor and cut off the old liner around the edge
where its glued, you may be able to peel up the old felt if the glue is old.
After you do that the liner panels should slide right out. Use a wire brush
or scraper and remove the old glued material from the door edge prior to
installing the new liner. Getting the sun visors lined up after putting in
the new liner is another challenge. I also replaced my courtesy lamp while I
had the liner out with a new one and made sure the wire connections were
good and tight.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:41:40 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Passenger-side keylock is jammed

Could someone tell me how to go about removing the passenger side
keylock?  I have the interior door panels off of the car, but I can't
seem to figure out how to get it out.  Does it rotate?

The reason I'd like to remove it is that, while my key works in my
ignition, driver-side keylock, and gas cap, when I put it into the
passenger side keylock, it will not turn.  The linkage on the inside
of the keylock (white plastic part) rotates just fine, but I cannot
get the key to turn it.

Any help is appreciated.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:57:29 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Pigeon Forge

In a message dated 5/23/2004 2:32:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com writes:

Spam

These links i believe are not affiliated with the Delorean Car Show
they are just provided on the Delorean Car Show website for us to see
what else is located in Pigeon Forge.
We have used these links for over two years and have recieved most of the
information we are using for the show from them.

It is probably one particluar site that now has the spam bug and we will try
to find out which one it is.
The links were provided by the Chamber of Commerce in Pigeon Forge as being
informational and helpful in planning your events

Ken

DeLorean Car Show inc

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:33:43 -0500
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: AC R134a Retrofit Kit

( Moderator's note: The archives have a great number of previous posts dealing with this subject. Do a search for R134. )

I was wondering if anyone has tried using an AC Retrofit kit to convert the AC system to R134a?  If so, did you have good results?  Do you recommend a particular kit?

Thanks,
Jace

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:39:39 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel boot

There should be ZERO leakage at the fuel pump. Maybe there is some
dirt or a burr on a surface allowing the leakage. Inspect all the
surfaces carefully. To make the washers soft heat up as much as you
can with an acetalyne torch and allow to cool slowly. This anneals
them. A trick we use on aircraft. When they are used they get
work-hardened so it is hard to keep old ones from leaking unless you
anneal them. Be careful not to overtighten them, the bolts hollow and
will break if tightned too much. Another trick you might try is to use
a smear of silicone gasket maker on the washers. Be careful to only
smear a TINY amount on the surface. Too much and you will plug things
up. Not only should you not see any visible leaks, you should not be
able to smell any either. A really small leak will evaporate before
you can see it because of the high pressure.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:44:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: clutch

It depends on how acrobatic and flexible you are. The car needs to be
up on jackstands at least and removing the engine cover is a big help.
It is accessed from above AND below especially if you are replacing
the plastic line. It can be done alone but you will need some help to
bleed it. You do not remove the transmission to replace the slave
cylinder.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 23:06:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Delorean For Sale

I am posting this for another owner nearby. I have heard about this
car for a while and I finally saw it yesterday. It is in Pomona, N.Y.
It is a 1981 5-speed. The motor starts annd runs but the trans will
not go into reverse. It has 39,753 miles. The inside is shot. The S/S
panels are all good except for some small dings on the left rear
quater. The glass is OK except for the left rear quater which is
broken. No parking brake, struts are all shot, console clock,
non-origional radio, front and rear facias need to be repainted. The
frame is rusty. I can't see exactly how bad but it looks bad. The hood
has ridges but no gas flap. Straight exhaust pipes. Clean title. If
anyone is interested at all contact me offlist but the owner is not
letting this go for the price of parts. He thinks it is worth between
$10,000 and $15,000. I tried to explain to him in it's present
condition that figure is high. I am guessing but because this car has
been stored outside on dirt for years the frame is probably beyond
repair so to keep this a running car it will need to be reframed. It
does have some history. According to the owner and the documentation
he showed me it was owned by the drummer from Elephants Memory, a
group headed by a former Beatle.

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:49:42 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Chris, If there is fuel in the top of the boot, then there is a problem. If
the connections that I show on the site under fuel don't help you then you
can call. The wrong hose could be used or the connections aren't sill tight
enough.