From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2034
Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 3:28 AM

1. Re: K-jetronic not connected
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Alarm system & door launchers installed
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

3. Sun visor screw size?
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

4. Re: clutch
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

5. RE: AC R134a Retrofit Kit
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. Re: Passenger-side keylock is jammed
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

7. RHD steering rack
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com

8. Re: Re: Huey Lewis
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

9. Re: Re: Huey Lewis
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

10. Re: Delorean For Sale
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Fuel boot
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Updated DMC VIN list and related materials uploaded
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

13. Re: clutch
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

14. hydraulic clutch will not go in gear
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Re: Huey Lewis
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: Delorean For Sale [OT]
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Performance Suspension by Eibach now available
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

18. Re: RHD steering rack
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. Re: Sun visor screw size?
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. Clutch Pedal
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

21. Parking Lights
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

22. Need help with thread size of Lower Engine Cover Striker
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 03:30:55 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: K-jetronic not connected

Lauren,

Lambda is a mathematical term used to express equalibrium. The term's
use in automotive technology was pioneered by Bosch, the inventor of
the O2 sensor. Bosch used the principle of the Nernst Cell, a device
developed in 1899 that measures the partial pressure of oxygen by
conduction of Oxygen ions through a heated ceramic electrode. They
called it a Lambda sensor because the Greek letter lambda is now used
to represent engine air/fuel ratio, with the perfect ratio expressed
as Lambda = 1.

Without gettting too technical, the standard Lambda (or oxygen)
sensor measures the oxygen content of your exhaust stream and
compares it to the outside air. Because the partial pressure of
oxygen in the air remains constant it's able to generate a sudden
jump in output voltage around the "best" mixture at the point when
all the fuel is burned and no remaining oxygen is left. Few molecules
of either are left out of the combustion dance at this point. By
continuosly sampling this variable and using it in a feedback loop to
alter the amount of fuel injected the Lambda system keeps the
air/fuel mixture at a point very close for minimal emissions. (Note
this is *not* the optimum mixture point for best performance).

The Lambda system exists mainly for one purpose: To pre-condition the
exhaust stream for your catalytic converter. Since cats only operate
in a narrow band this is required. The cat further reduces emissions
of HC, Nox, and CO. (You can tell if your cat is working simply by
measuring the temperature delta across it's inlet and outlet).

The O2 sensor on the Delorean is primitive by today's standards. This
standard sensor doesn't come "alive" until it reaches about 600
degrees. Until that happens the car is designed to run open loop and
slightly rich. From an emission stanpoitn cars are "dirtiest" when
cold and the sooner the O2 sensor operates the sooner we can get the
emissions under control.

To get around this problem the electrically heated O2 sensor was
developed. These days most O2 sensors are of the Planar Thin Film
type in addition to being heated. They allow closed loop control in
as little as 15 seconds after a cold start. Some newer vehicles are
designed to run lean and a newer "wide band" sensor using different
technology is employed in those cars. They're able to continuosly
monitor O2 levels over a wide range.

Modern cars with OBDII (On Board Diagnostic Generation 2) use an
additional O2 sensor downstream of the converter to further monitor
emission performance.

It's not difficult to retrofit your D to use a heated or even a
planar heated sensor. No matter what you use it's a good idea to tap
the line with an A/F meter so you can watch the system in operation.
Other that EGT there is almost no other method that will tell you
more about how your engine is running than monitoring the O2 sensor.
If it's jumping around midpoint (called cross counting) it tells you
the syetm is working correctly. (Not only the sensor but all the
associated components of the Lambda system or EFI, if so equipped).
These devices are also invaluable for tuning a fuel system after
modification.

There is more to it of course but I hope this answers your question.

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 03:40:43 -0000
From: "ryanpwright" <yahoo1_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: Alarm system & door launchers installed

Group,

I have recently finished installing an elaborate alarm system & door
launchers. My DeLorean now has a Compustar 2 way paging system with a
1.25 mile range, lock/unlock, remote start, & remote door launching. I
can select either door individually from the remote or launch them
both at once.

The launchers are from DeLorean Parts Northwest
(www.delorean-parts.com) and I have to say, this is an excellent kit.
As I did not need the full keyless entry system (already had it with
the Compustar), Toby was great in selling me only the parts I needed
to launch the doors. The instructions were very detailed and the
installation didn't take long at all. The launching is impressive, no
doubt about it.

If anyone needs assistance in doing any of the above, feel free to
contact me. I would be happy to provide instructions or help identify
wires, etc. Installation of the door launchers is easy. The alarm
system, not so easy, but anyone who has patience and a basic
understanding of electrical circuits would do fine. DPNW also sells
remote keyless entry & alarm systems with their door launchers, no
doubt with better instructions than I got with my Compustar unit. ;)

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 23:25:44 -0500
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Sun visor screw size?

I was wanting to replace the screws that go into the headliner thru the
sunvisors. (the ones that hold the headliner up as well)  Does anyone know
what size these are?  The one's I took out were pretty chewed up.

Thanks in advance,

Duke

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2036 01:29:28 -0500 EST
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: clutch

you can do it yourself - you do not need a lift. A good set of Jack
stands and a floor jack is all you need to get under the car. Here are
the steps I took.

Remove the clutch line from the metal pipe - found on the top of the
tranny if you are under the car.
Remove the metal pipe to the slave cyl
Remove the 2 bolts that hold the slave to the bell housing
remove slave.

reverse for install then bleed.

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 00:35:36 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: AC R134a Retrofit Kit

Jace, You will need to change the oil and O rings then recharge wit
R134A.The compressor will work with both types. Also, If you change over,
make a note on the compressor it has been converted incase you sell or trade
it.

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 06:54:02 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Passenger-side keylock is jammed

Update:

After fussing with the passenger keylock all day, I got tired of it
and put my screwdriver and pliars to work.  The passenger keylock is
now out, not necessarily in one piece, but out.  I also managed to
ding up the lock area on my door; nothing that can't be fixed by
sanding though.  I have no idea why there was a piece of metal
attached to the keylock that prevents it from being removed from the
door; EVEN after lining up the plastic tabs with the grooves.  How
did the factory workers ever install it this way???  If it's true
that my car was originally 2-key, then converted to single-key, it's
stupid that they never bothered to replace the passenger side lock.

To recap, the key that came with the car when I purchased it opened
the gas cap, the storage compartment, the driver-side door, and the
ignition, but not the passenger door.

What are my options here?  Is there any chance I can get a new
passenger lock that can be made to fit with my current key?  Could I
switch back to the 2-key system and remove the driver-side lock as
well?

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:18:09 -0000
From: nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: RHD steering rack

I am getting stuck into my rhd conversion at the moment and have
reached the steering rack which after taking to a few other people
that have also had or done conversions this seems to pose the most
problems. I have spoken to people that have fitted a bedford rack
but the chasis needs to be modified and also some one that had a
custom rack made. I had an thought that i would like to run past you
guys for a bit of feed back or comment.After removing the rack i
cant see what would stop me turning it aournd 180 degrees, then of
course the connection for the steering joint would be facing the
front of the car. Then rolling the rack so the worm gear faces the
right direction toward the firewall. Now the factry mounting blocks
wont be in the correct position to apply downward preasure.  I could
maybe have nylon bolcks cut to accomadate the new angle.

Also what are my options with the master cyclinder as i have heard
of some people not relocating it to the RHS?

Thankyou in Advance
Nick 10927

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 07:31:00 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Huey Lewis

Your experience with your car in front of the honky tonk is exactly why I
stopped opening the doors at any but sanctioned car club shows. Whenever we
go to a street festival where the general public is attending I always lock
the doors and only open the hood for the engine. There are certain "slugs of
society" that have no respect for other peoples property that ruin these
events for the majority of the public. People ask do the doors work, wanting
to see them up, and then I'll open them up which usually draws a large
crowd, but then I'll close them back up.

Live & learn

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 06:30:47 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Video Bob,

I too have experienced the lack of respect and people getting into the
car.    They just jump right into it and start pushing all the buttons.

They seem to think the car is a prop to entertain them.  They really do
not think that they are a person's car, just some thing from Universal.
  This is why taking these BTTF cars to car shows is more stress than
fun.   Some people have no respect.  Sometimes I also think it is
jealousy and they are hoping to get the chance to trash your car.  I
have had kids purpose break stuff twice! It really takes the fun out of
it sometimes.

Have you ever seen Universal's cars.  They are totally trashed.

You are right on target about guarding the car.  I spent $600 for stands
and rope to keep people away from the car at one indoor car show.  Did
it stop them from jumping in?  Nope.

Just my 2 cents.

BOB

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:10:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean For Sale

>From what I saw the mileage could be around 40,000 mi. It doesn't
appear to be anywhere near 90,000. The water pump appears origional
and isn't leaking. It has a set of NCT's on the front and they aren't
very worn. I am guessing that the 1st set wore out around 25,000 and
were replaced. The rears have Kellys. The owner's name is Anthony, not
Kenny. Maybe Kenny was the previous owner to Anthony. I know Dean and
he doesn't know anything about Deloreans although he does know a lot
about cars in general, Corvettes and Mopar in particular. I agree,
with the asking price as high as it is, unless you are nearby, it
isn't worth the drive.

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:22:54 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel boot

Is it possible the problem isn't at the banjo fitting itself, but
rather further up the fluoroelastometric hose, running down and
collecting on the fitting before dripping? Those plastic lines become
brittle with age. Doesn't take much to crack them. It's also nearly
impossible to reseat tightly them on a new banjo barb.

Lines to and from the tank are definitely a useful application of 100
PSI rubber hose.

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:31:13 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Updated DMC VIN list and related materials uploaded

An updated DMC production chronology has been uploaded to the
DMCNews web site. It's in an awkward location and the easiest way to
get to it is by clicking the "Owners Directory" link on the front
page and then follow the link to the "Production Chronology."

The information in the list comes from multiple sources including
the DML owners directory, various discovered DMC company records,
and individual contributors. In the individual contributor category,
Shannon Birdwell has been especially helpful in digging up
information.

This time I have not included a vehicle count estimate as I have in
years past. The vehicle count estimate I generated in the past used
some statistical techniques that rely on the samples in the data
being non-correlated (random). We have a lot of information in the
listing now that is not uncorrelated. Because the requirements for
applying some of the statistical methods are no longer satisfied,
those techniques can no longer be applied to yield accurate results.

I expanded the geographical distribution to cover the rest of the
world this time around. Because I don't have a charting tool that
covers the world using the format I used in the past, the geographic
distribution has been rendered as a simple listing this time. If I
can find a better way to visualize it, I will do so next time.

As usual there are a lot of entries that have conflicting data
entered. If you find incorrect information listed for your car or if
you find comments for your listing indicating some discrepancies for
your car. please contact me so I can clean it up for the next time
around.

I hope you enjoy the materials.

            Knut

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:55:54 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

For me theres nothing to it- I work from below and use a very small
ratchet wrench to unbolt the 2 bolts on either side of the slave
cylinder. Before that, I unhook the lines. Then out it comes. It's
kind of a pain because of the lack or room, but if you have a small
ratchet, it is easy since the ratchet doesn't hit everything while
trying to unfasten the bolts. From above I just revised my cooling
hoses to allow easier bleeding without having everything obstructing
the bleeder and cylinder. With the lines revised and out of the way it
looks easy to remove from above but I have not done it. For the
bleeding, I use a box wrench and have someone step on the pedal. If no
one is available I pump the clutch, and hold the pedal down with the
long handle to my jack proped against the bottom of the seat-then open
the bleed screw. Make
sure you use the right size box wrench or it is possible to strip the
bleeder. Dan Benedek VIN#5003

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:48:39 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: hydraulic clutch will not go in gear

What are my first steps? The car has about 800 miles on it, took a small
ride this Saturday and upon arrival I backed in a space and the gears ground
as I went in reverse. Came out jumped in the car started up, but the gear
shift would not go in gear and the pedal seemed too easy to push. Turn off
the car and shifting is easy. Drove home in 2nd gear, press the pedal and
the car is unpowered but grinds the gear if you try to change the gear.
Is the brake and clutch system the same system? Can this be converted to DOT
5? I have a powered bleeder; I know that if I bleed the old way all the
cylinders will soon fail. What is the least I can do, and what is a wish
list? ex. rebuild system with brass sleeved parts.
Thanks,
Charles

_

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:14:58 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

No problem.When I first heard about Huey playing, I was kind of surprised it
was at Billy Bob's. As if people can't tell by the name, it's
unapologetically country. I found out about this on such short notice that I
was unable to get any of the pricier reserved seats, so I agree with Video
Bob that the view from outside the rails sucked.
Huey was pretty much how I thought he'd be. He played one song from the new
album and the rest were his hits. From what I've seen in interviews and when
I watched the VH1"Behind the Scenes", he seems to be a pretty cool guy. I'm
betting his people (management) were probably the ones that were jerks. I
mean honestly, doing a 2 or 3 minute interview after his show probably
wouldn't have bothered him at all, I doubt that there was a long line of
people waiting to interview him.
I thought Video Bob's Delorean looked great and the Flux capacitor looks
like it came out of the movie. I was partly surprised that Video Bob brought
it to the event, I know how protective he is of it (I'd probably be the
same). The patronage at Billy Bob's tends to be of the cowboy variety.
Having a Delorean sitting out front with drunk cowboys coming out at
midnight I would think would end up with mixed results (although there
weren't nearly as many cowboys as usual because of who was playing). You're
always going to get some yahoo who thinks the Delorean is some kind of movie
prop/photo op and treats it like it's public property. Probably best to
assume the worst and have a rope around it. Then you can selectively let
people look at it or sit in it in a more controlled situation. If you can
take the good with the bad, it's always fun to get the average person's
reaction to a Delorean. I can imagine what the reaction would have been if I
had a Delorean there next to Bob's, at least I could have deflected some of
the fingerprints.

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:16:36 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean For Sale [OT]

Elephant's Memory was a one album American band produced by John
Lennon after he moved to New York (actually plays on several of their
tracks, with Yoko Ono warbling in the background).

In addition to the Fab Four, are four other former Beetles/Silver
Beetles/Silver Beatles:
Tommy Moore (Drummer #1) -- Died 1981
Norman Chapman (Drummer #2) -- ?
Stuart Sutcliffe -- Died 1962
Pete Best (Drummer #3) -- Still touring with "Pete Best Band"

Guess it's common knowledge Paul McCartney generally filled in as
dummer (many early personnel lineups don't even list one).

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:
> I am posting this for another owner nearby. I have heard about this
> car for a while and I finally saw it yesterday. It is in Pomona, N.Y.
.................... He thinks it is worth between

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:40:52 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Performance Suspension by Eibach now available

The new Eibach front and rear spring set for the DeLorean has arrived at DMC
(Texas). A set of four springs, custom designed to provide not just improved
aesthetics (no more nose high front end) but also improved handling and
manufactured by probably the best known name in performance suspensions -
Eibach (http://www.eibach.com) - at a price of just $399 per car set (four
springs). These will NOT be sold in fronts or rears only, they are designed
as a set and will only be sold that way. I also expect them to available
from the major vendors, as well, at comparable pricing.

Look for more details here:

http://www.delorean.com/eibachsprings.html

James Espey
---

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:48:18 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: RHD steering rack

That will make left right, and right left.

Martin

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:48:47 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Sun visor screw size?

M5

Martin

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:36:15 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Clutch Pedal

Sometimes I have my left foot just resting on the clutch pedal, no
pressure but just resting on it.  I have noticed recently and has
caused me some alarm, that the clutch pedal just goes straight to the
floor, without the clutch disengaging.
Any reason for the the clutch pedal to lose pressure and just fall to
the floor?

Thanks
Willie
Vin 5043

Maserati Service Advisor
Maserati of Washington
Dulles, Virginia
www.fwash.com

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:38:20 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Parking Lights

I have noticed that my right side parking lights are out.  The left
side is still working as is my headlights and brake lights.  I have
checked the fuse panel but everything is fine.  Also I have noticed
that the light that is inside the headlight button has recently
burned out.  Could that be the problem or is it some other electrical
gremlin?

Thanks
Willie Mack

Maserati Service Advisor
Maserati of Washington
Dulles, Virginia
www.fwash.com

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:02:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need help with thread size of Lower Engine Cover Striker

Hey everybody.  I need some help determining a thread
size.  On my car, the lower engine cover striker (part
no. 100597) was completely missing, including the
threaded insert in the engine cover itself.  I'm
ordering a new striker, but at the same time I need to
get a threaded insert to match.  With Pigeon Forge
coming up so fast, I'm afraid if I wait until the
striker arrives, I may not have time to locate/order
an insert.  So if anyone is comfortable measuring
threads (or happens to know this one by heart) it
would be appreciated.  See you in PF!

Thanks,

=====
Steve